Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

7-Up, Sprite, Pop/Soda for an upset stomach

My Mom always told me to drink 7-up or Sprite for an upset stomach. And, sure enough, the stomach ache was gone within a few days.

Is this due to the carbonization? Is this due to something else in the soda? Is the soda not related at all?

Is there a better solution? I know all about pepto bismol, tums, etc., but the soda seemed to work great.

*Update*

Try some soda. Soda pop, particularly ginger ale or lemon-lime and other noncaffeinated varieties, help settle stomachs. Sipping on a can of decaffeinated soda can help settle your stomach. This trick is especially useful if you've eaten too much. The carbonation in the soda causes you to burp, which is the quickest way to get relief from an overfull belly.
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/home...t-stomach2.htm
    Last edited by Richie_Awesome; 03-23-2007 at 12:14 PM.
    If life gives you AIDS, make lemonAIDS

ISSA Certified CFT

llmmss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llmmss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llmmss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llmmss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llmmss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llmmss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llmmss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llmmss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llmmss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llmmss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llmmss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    drink water and lots of it to stay hydrated. that helps alot.

i would brush the soda and what not aside and get something that is going to rid the stomach aches within hours then having to wait for days for it to go.

cheers

jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ginger Root!

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Richie_Awesome View Post
    My Mom always told me to drink 7-up or Sprite for an upset stomach. And, sure enough, the stomach ache was gone within a few days.

Is this due to the carbonization? Is this due to something else in the soda? Is the soda not related at all?

Is there a better solution? I know all about pepto bismol, tums, etc., but the soda seemed to work great.
    The soda isn't working very well if it took a few days to take effect
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think the soda thing is all in your head my mom used to do this too, and it really seamed to help when I was little. I think the idea was intended to get people to drink liquids when they are sick. Water is always better.

GiovanniR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by onelonglizard View Post
    I think the soda thing is all in your head my mom used to do this too, and it really seamed to help when I was little. I think the idea was intended to get people to drink liquids when they are sick. Water is always better.
    Wow, everyone who says Soda doesn't help an upset stomach is completely, wrong. Well not all Soda, just one. Coke-a-Cola.

The acid in the Coke is what helps the "stomach cramps" or the "nausea".

onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onelonglizard has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by GiovanniR View Post
    Wow, everyone who says Soda doesn't help an upset stomach is completely, wrong. Well not all Soda, just one. Coke-a-Cola.

The acid in the Coke is what helps the "stomach cramps" or the "nausea".
    I'm not sure if thats true I know that used to be the case (with Coke-a-Cola), but I thought they re-formulated it and its not as acidic as it used to be. I could be wrong though.

Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    What would get rid of flu symptoms in a few hours?

ISSA Certified CFT

I'm not sure if thats true I know that used to be the case (with Coke-a-Cola), but I thought they re-formulated it and its not as acidic as it used to be. I could be wrong though.
    At this point, I'm not sure. They may have done something to the acidity in Coke now... All I know is, I had the flu a little under a year ago, drank some warm and flat Coke, and my nausea subsided for a bit.

Originally Posted by GiovanniR View Post
    At this point, I'm not sure. They may have done something to the acidity in Coke now... All I know is, I had the flu a little under a year ago, drank some warm and flat Coke, and my nausea subsided for a bit.
    I think if I drank warm flat Coke it would increase my nausea
    I always rep back. (300+)

Riding on a ZX-10r SE 2007.

I think if I drank warm flat Coke it would increase my nausea
    Quoted for Truth. :P

YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try Club Soda. It's good and fizzy but no HFCS

I don't think anyone here has yet proved soda wrong at subsiding upset stomaches from flu, nausea, etc.

Yeah, the HFCS and empty calories are bad, but I don't think nearly as bad as not being able to go to the gym, not eat, for a few days longer.

ISSA Certified CFT

YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    did u try ginger ale? i used to have that when i was a kid.

Originally Posted by llmmss View Post
    drink water and lots of it to stay hydrated. that helps alot.

i would brush the soda and what not aside and get something that is going to rid the stomach aches within hours then having to wait for days for it to go.

cheers

Response to this?

Try some soda. Soda pop, particularly ginger ale or lemon-lime and other noncaffeinated varieties, help settle stomachs. Sipping on a can of decaffeinated soda can help settle your stomach. This trick is especially useful if you've eaten too much. The carbonation in the soda causes you to burp, which is the quickest way to get relief from an overfull belly.

ISSA Certified CFT

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My point was that you said - "it took a few days to take effect". Just like the TV commercial says - why take an antacid pill that takes a few days to work when I need relief now

That said, the reason that a carbonated beverage may help settle an upset stomach is related to the carbonation rather than to its acidity. The carbonation in the soft drink is carbon dioxide, which reacts with the acid in the stomach and helps neutralize it.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

My point was that you said - "it took a few days to take effect". Just like the TV commercial says - why take an antacid pill that takes a few days to work when I need relief now

That said, the reason that a carbonated beverage may help settle an upset stomach is related to the carbonation rather than to its acidity. The carbonation in the soft drink is carbon dioxide, which reacts with the acid in the stomach and helps neutralize it.
    Maybe I had poor wording. I should have said, "it took a few days for the stomach ache to be completely gone, within an hour or two it was subsiding a bit."

With that said, do you know of any easy to find, and cheap, carbonated drinks sans the sugar?

ISSA Certified CFT

Maybe I had poor wording. I should have said, "it took a few days for the stomach ache to be completely gone, within an hour or two it was subsiding a bit."

With that said, do you know of any easy to find, and cheap, carbonated drinks sans the sugar?
    Why not Diet Ginger Ale, Diet 7-UP , Diet Sprite, Sierra Mist Free ... ?

Tired of being lied to resurrected's Avatar
    resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000)

*Update*

Actaully it was Ginger ale. The ginger has a soothing affect on the stomach. The gas produced makes you burp and it helps to expel any left over bad gas in the gut as well.
    Oh and i use a tablespoon of cider vinegar for an upset stomach. I know is osunds odd, but it works. Rolaids and tums work by making the stomach produce more acid. The vinegar just replaces the acid.

Originally Posted by resurrected View Post
    Actaully it was Ginger ale. The ginger has a soothing affect on the stomach. The gas produced makes you burp and it helps to expel any left over bad gas in the gut as well.
    Oh and i use a tablespoon of cider vinegar for an upset stomach. I know is osunds odd, but it works. Rolaids and tums work by making the stomach produce more acid. The vinegar just replaces the acid.
    Tums and Rolaids are antacids - i.e. they are acid neutralizing. They don't make the stomach produce more acid. Where did you get that from?

resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000)
    Tums and Rolaids are antacids - i.e. they are acid neutralizing. They don't make the stomach produce more acid. Where did you get that from?
    Uh yes they do. Look it up. They may neutralize but create more acid prodcution due to it.

here is one of many I could point to stating that it produces more acid in the stomach
    http://www.jrussellshealth.com/antacids.html

sportyhp is just really nice. (+1000) sportyhp is just really nice. (+1000) sportyhp is just really nice. (+1000) sportyhp is just really nice. (+1000) sportyhp is just really nice. (+1000) sportyhp is just really nice. (+1000) sportyhp is just really nice. (+1000) sportyhp is just really nice. (+1000) sportyhp is just really nice. (+1000) sportyhp is just really nice. (+1000) sportyhp is just really nice. (+1000)
    my mom always gave me soda but she told me to sip it really slowly.....and she'd only give it to me after i hadnt thrown up for a while (never right after)
    Michael Scott: Would I rather be feared or loved? Um... Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

here is one of many I could point to stating that it produces more acid in the stomach
    Here is an excerpt from the article

Antacids were clinically proven ineffective by a Swedish study in 1986. In fact, sometimes antacids will cause your stomach to produce more acid, a condition called acid rebound, which worsens your gastrointestinal problem. Antacids also change the pH environment of the gut, potentially causing an imbalance of friendly flora and putting you at risk for infection by the unfriendly types. Some believe that antacids even help set the stage for infection with Helicobacter pylori the bacterium that causes ulcers. Alcohol impairs digestion by reducing stomach acid and digestive enzymes.
    {?Antacids - Not the Anti You Think They Are,? Ronald Hoffman, MD, founder of the Hoffman Center in New York City, Consciouschoice.com 2000}

Hydrochloric acid (HCL) normally produced in the stomach to aid digestion, is destroyed by the regular use of antacids. ?Initially, use of antacids causes the body to produce more hydrochloric acid,? says Elizabeth Lipski, MS, CNN. ?Parietal cells respond by making more acid, causing a rebound effect.? You're likely to take more antacids, further suppressing the acid your stomach needs. Continued use of antacids can exhaust parietal cells, so that the stomach produces less HCL.

One of the most surprising ways to help prevent indigestion happens to be avoiding antacid use. In fact, over-the-stomach antacids can trigger a rebound rise in acid, making sore stomachs feel worse.

Yes - I know of the rebound effect. They way you wrote it made it seem like that was what they are perscribed/supposed to do rather than a side effect. Sorry for dropping the hammer on you
    Last edited by in10city; 03-23-2007 at 06:10 PM.