Closed Thread
Page 50 of 340 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 150 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 10171
    Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by AnhYeuMy View Post
    It's all good bro, I work out by myself usually too. I don't think you should actually go for your max, I've heard in this thread (and learned from experience) that it's much better to start with lighter weight on all the exercises. Find a weight you're comfortable with lifting for eight reps, even if you think it's a bit too little, and go with it from there. You'll either start really feeling a great workout in a couple of weeks once the rep range goes up, or if not, you'll get to increase the weight of everything after the fifth week
    Alright thanks, I'm pumped to finally start working out.

Anything else I should know about to make sure I have success with this workout schedule?

AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Frankfrank93 View Post
    Alright thanks, I'm pumped to finally start working out.

Anything else I should know about to make sure I have success with this workout schedule?
    Just make sure you do your warmup sets like he says, get enough sleep and eat enough to make sure you recover well and grow, and ummm.. That should be it, aslong as you start light you should be able to progress with no problems for awhile, good luck bro.

^^^My Biceps Suck LaggingBiceps's Avatar
    LaggingBiceps has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LaggingBiceps has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LaggingBiceps has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LaggingBiceps has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LaggingBiceps has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LaggingBiceps has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LaggingBiceps has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LaggingBiceps has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LaggingBiceps has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LaggingBiceps has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LaggingBiceps has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm only on my second week so I know it's too soon to say the workout isn't working or anything. But I feel the only good workout is the heavy day because the other two are too light. I don't even get sore (I know soreness isn't an indicator of growth, but I'm going back to lifting weights after 3 years, I expected some serious soreness) Is that normal?

I mean, I'm not going to change my routine. I'm going to stick with the full body workout. But wouldn't doing a split let me focus more on each muscle. Especially since I can go hard more than 2 sets a week.
    Last edited by LaggingBiceps; 11-27-2009 at 10:53 AM.
    **New Jersey Crew 201**
    *** Misc CIGAR Crew ***

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AnhYeuMy View Post
    It was the mediun day after the heavy day where it was still bothering me, and the only real pain was during the medium workout after the squats, and persisting through the entire workout. Now though, as early as Thursday (the next day), it feels much better. So I know it'll be okay for the lite day, and the weekend of recovery. I'll follow your words about the abs, thank you.

Edit --- Would this be one of those ab boards you were talking about about? I work out at home, so I'm looking to purchase one but not quite sure what it is. http://www.malibuwholesale.com/Exerc...-p7708389.html Look good?
    Yup that's exactly what I have.

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Frankfrank93 View Post
    Alright, and whats a good way to find what my max rep is without actually doing it? I am working out by myself, and don't want to end up killing myself haha.
    A 10 rep max or 75% of a 1 rep max. There are several calculators on the main site that you can use to figure it out.

Originally Posted by LaggingBiceps View Post
    I'm only on my second week so I know it's too soon to say the workout isn't working or anything. But I feel the only good workout is the heavy day because the other two are too light. I don't even get sore (I know soreness isn't an indicator of growth, but I'm going back to lifting weights after 3 years, I expected some serious soreness) Is that normal?

I mean, I'm not going to change my routine. I'm going to stick with the full body workout. But wouldn't doing a split let me focus more on each muscle. Especially since I can go hard more than 2 sets a week.
    If you started with a 10 rep max and next week you get both sets with it.....it's working. If you're looking for pain you'll probably find it on week 5. If it doesn't happen be happy about it......just so long as you're getting every rep of every set.

AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000) AnhYeuMy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    Yup that's exactly what I have.
    Thanks. I finished my lite workout just now and decided not to do SLDL's today. I found that it's less of a "soreness" from working out, and more of a "knotting" feeling -- Like my whole lower back is knotted up after doing squats. I'll quit doing sldl's for the rest of this cycle, and do ab work the whole time, then when I start back up a new cycle with eight reps, I'll add the sldl's back at either the same weight as I used this cycle (or %10 less) even though it's really just the squats I'm feeling this from. That sound good to you?

Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I just finished my first week and feel like I didn't work hard enough the whole week (except for maybe on day 1). My starting weights were 75% of my one rep max and I did struggle with the last couple on some of the exercises on day 1, but I didn't really feel sore the next day except for in my hamstrings (from the SLDL).

I am wondering if this is due to the fact that I am not super strong at all so maybe my warm up sets are too light. A lot of the time I end up doing only the bar to warm up for some of the exercises. I have read that towards the end of the 5 week cycle, this routine can get brutal, but I am starting to wonder if this is the right routine for me...

What do you guys think?

Originally Posted by Scooter4 View Post
    I just finished my first week and feel like I didn't work hard enough the whole week (except for maybe on day 1). My starting weights were 75% of my one rep max and I did struggle with the last couple on some of the exercises on day 1, but I didn't really feel sore the next day except for in my hamstrings (from the SLDL).

I am wondering if this is due to the fact that I am not super strong at all so maybe my warm up sets are too light. A lot of the time I end up doing only the bar to warm up for some of the exercises. I have read that towards the end of the 5 week cycle, this routine can get brutal, but I am starting to wonder if this is the right routine for me...

What do you guys think?
    I say just give it some more time bro. I also thought the same kinda things my first week, but it definitely gets harder and more effective.

GSXR P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GSXR P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GSXR P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GSXR P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GSXR P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GSXR P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GSXR P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GSXR P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GSXR P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GSXR P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GSXR P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just want to thank allpro again for all the help he's given me. I've gained quite a bit and my maxes have gone way up since I started this.

I would rep ya again allpro, but I can't cause I have to spread it around!

Gdogs727 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Scooter4 View Post

What do you guys think?
    the first week is probably going to be easy for you because the first week is a deload. I felt the same way after the first week. I'm on the fourth week now it gets a lot harder trust me

thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    allpro - just wanted to say thanks for posting this and doing such a great job in staying with the thread to answer questions. I read about 15 pages of it and all my questions were answered.

I just purchased the Gold's Gym Platinum Smith Rack & Bench so that I can workout at home. I have been doing p90x since the beginning of the year and had good progress with weight loss but now I want to bulk up. I am stoked to start the program Monday I plan on figuring out my 10maxrep numbers today.

I created an excel spreadsheet where all someone has to do is plug in their max reps to start with, and it lays out exactly what their numbers should be for 10% increase after the first cycle, 10 and 20% decrease in day to day, along with 25 and 50% decrease for warmups. It basically does all the math for you to make your life ez. I am to new to the forum to post it but if someone here has the ability to post attachments, please send me your email and I'll send you the attachment for others to use.

Seriously bro, thanks for posting this. I will be back with results... and questions I'm sure.

a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    just started this workout today, will post before and after pics in 5 weeks

Nolanm_06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nolanm_06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nolanm_06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nolanm_06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nolanm_06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nolanm_06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nolanm_06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nolanm_06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nolanm_06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nolanm_06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nolanm_06 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The 3 day a week one has been working great for me!

redb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey I am on week one 2nd cycle. Great program, 5th week is hell.
    Some quick questions:
    1) I squat all the way down while keeping my back still arched. I started this due to a friend recommending it and wanted to get your opinion if I should go back to parallel or if deep squats are fine.
    2) On SLDL's I have seen people lean back at the top of their lift. Is this recommended?
    3) Also I play about half an hour of basketball before working out and a couple of hours after sometimes. Is this a harmful to my gains? I think so but maybe I need to hear it come from you for me to follow it. Thanks again All Pro.

Originally Posted by redb View Post
    Hey I am on week one 2nd cycle. Great program, 5th week is hell.
    Some quick questions:
    1) I squat all the way down while keeping my back still arched. I started this due to a friend recommending it and wanted to get your opinion if I should go back to parallel or if deep squats are fine.
    2) On SLDL's I have seen people lean back at the top of their lift. Is this recommended?
    3) Also I play about half an hour of basketball before working out and a couple of hours after sometimes. Is this a harmful to my gains? I think so but maybe I need to hear it come from you for me to follow it. Thanks again All Pro.
    1) Your hips should be below your knees at the bottom. You don't have to go asstograss. It sounds hard core but it limits the amount of weight you can use. BUT never stop at parallel. That's what blows out knees.
    2) Don't lean back. There's no need to do that and your putting a hell of a lot of stress on your back.
    3) I wouldn't play before working out. To much cardio of any type can retard your size and strength gains. I wouldn't do cardio on the same day as weight training if I could avoid it.

thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) thisismarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anybody know of a cheap place to get a calf block? I need one to do the calf raises.

JustWorkOut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustWorkOut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustWorkOut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustWorkOut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustWorkOut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustWorkOut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustWorkOut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustWorkOut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustWorkOut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustWorkOut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustWorkOut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by thisismarcus View Post
    Anybody know of a cheap place to get a calf block? I need one to do the calf raises.
    ya you can try a 2x4 or 2X6 or 2X8. Any flat solid objects will do.
    If you can't find these around your house try your local lumber store.

TenMac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you do these exercises 3 times a week then won't you be overtraining? After you do the first workout of the week, you rest the next day and you feel sore; and the next day you're back in the gym working the same muscles again...?

You wont let your muscles fully rest and repair so wouldn't this be just overtraining?

Originally Posted by TenMac View Post
    If you do these exercises 3 times a week then won't you be overtraining? After you do the first workout of the week, you rest the next day and you feel sore; and the next day you're back in the gym working the same muscles again...?

You wont let your muscles fully rest and repair so wouldn't this be just overtraining?
    No you wont be over training and you'll feel better after the second work out and better still after the third work out. That's why it's set up heavy, medium, lite.

a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10) a66as is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No you wont be over training and you'll feel better after the second work out and better still after the third work out. That's why it's set up heavy, medium, lite.
    what will happen if i workout heavy all 3 days? bad idea?

Getting my Durantula on FryDude's Avatar
    FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It was my heavy day on my last week and on the bench, I couldn't do the last rep as I tasted vomit in my mouth. I wanted to push but I didn't want to vomit everywhere.

Do I have to do it again? I should have waited at least 30 mins b4 working out... damn it.

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by a66as View Post
    what will happen if i workout heavy all 3 days? bad idea?
    Stick to the program.

Originally Posted by FryDude View Post
    It was my heavy day on my last week and on the bench, I couldn't do the last rep as I tasted vomit in my mouth. I wanted to push but I didn't want to vomit everywhere.

Do I have to do it again? I should have waited at least 30 mins b4 working out... damn it.
    Yes. Do it again.

PS - For anyone interested, PM me your email and I'll send you a spreadsheet that makes the programming easy. Just plug in your numbers and go!
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

MSNutrition has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.

I do like the 3 day scheme especially for a beginner.

As a beginner it is important that you find an understanding of the motions of the exercises and progress properly. Starting with a heavy day is not practical. That is like building a house with out putting down the foundation. Therefore developing muscular strenght on day 1 and than day2 would be a muscular endurance day. These rep ranges would be 10 for strength and 15 for endurance. Day 3 should be strength once again. Than the following week the scheme would flip flop with endurance being on days 1 and 3 and day 2 for strength

A total body workout should be designed and balanced to ensure strength 360 degrees around the body.

for example

Day 1
    Bodyweight Squats (10 x 3)
    Machine Chest Press (10 x 3)
    Lateral Lunges Bodyweight (10 x 3)
    Machine Rows (10 x 3)
    Shoulder Press machine (10 x 3)
    Standing Barbell Tricep Ext. (10 x 3)
    Standing Barbell Curl (10 x 3)
    Seated Calf Raise (10 x3)

Day 2 would be organized in a similar fashion with a slight progression in exercise difficulty. So instead of using machine guided motions you would move on to plate loaded exercises. Exercises should also use a 15 repetition fashion.

Day 3 would be organized similar to that of day 1 with 10 reps
    Adam
    CSCS,CPT, MS Nutrition and Exercise

redb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There is a reason people are not asking you for advice. No one really wants it. This program has worked for me and countless others so there is no reason to tamper with it. Only way this won't work is if you change it - but then you won't be doing it will you. Logic is hard to grasp, I understand.

baseballhack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Please educate me

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread I read it from start to finish and am in my 3rd week of the first cycle. It may sound crazy but I am already starting to see changes and can?t wait for the first cycle to be over to do it all over again.
    Now that I have been doing it for a bit and it has become a routine for me I was looking to educate myself further. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good magazine. I looked at some of the normal muscle mags but didn?t find one that seemed right. Granted I'm deployed right now so its not like I have the best selection of mags. I was also wondering if anyone can recommend some good books, that might explain deloading, periodization, and all the other things I have seen throughout this thread. Thanks again to all this is a great workout and I'm recommending to all my buddies and getting my wife into it as well.

Originally Posted by baseballhack View Post
    Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread I read it from start to finish and am in my 3rd week of the first cycle. It may sound crazy but I am already starting to see changes and can?t wait for the first cycle to be over to do it all over again.
    Now that I have been doing it for a bit and it has become a routine for me I was looking to educate myself further. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good magazine. I looked at some of the normal muscle mags but didn?t find one that seemed right. Granted I'm deployed right now so its not like I have the best selection of mags. I was also wondering if anyone can recommend some good books, that might explain deloading, periodization, and all the other things I have seen throughout this thread. Thanks again to all this is a great workout and I'm recommending to all my buddies and getting my wife into it as well.
    I can't help you much with the magazines. I don't make a habit of buying them unless I see an article by Bill Starr or someone else that I really like. For the books,
    Periodization Breakthrough by Fleck and Kramer
    Super Training by Mel Siff
    These would be the first 2 HEAVY reading books. I have lot's of links to this stuff.
    http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/articles.html
    http://www.staleytraining.com/articl...y-articles.htm
    http://www.athleticscoaching.ca/?pid=7&spid=35&sspid=58
    http://www.weightrainer.net/articles.html
    http://www.verkhoshansky.com/Home/tabid/83/Default.aspx
    http://drsquat.com/index.php
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/energy.htm
    http://stronglifts.com/madcow/table_...nts_thread.htm
    Well that should keep you busy for a while. I have more....a lot more.

Registered User EatMoreWheyMore's Avatar
    EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    All Pro - My question is this: In your opinion which is a better/logical strength workout for a beginner/intermediate- The Workout you have displayed in the original post, Ripptoe's Starting Strength, or Bill Star's 5 X 5.

I'm not quite a beginner because I have been lifting for over 3 years, but never for longer than 5 months consistently. I foolishly have always done the Chest/Tri, Back/Bi, and Lower Split from the beginning. I want to start over the way it should be done and from reading this tread I trust your expertise. My problem is that I choose a routine and then read about another routine I like, I try to mix them together.

I was originally ready to start Ripptoe's, but three lifts a day seems so short. I like the workout you originally posted because of the higher volume. Based on what I've told you about myself which program would you recommend?

Thank you very much for your time, I know my "rep power" is extremely red or whatever but I am no goof and will take your advice seriously.

Registered User EatMoreWheyMore's Avatar
    EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EatMoreWheyMore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    P.S. I would imagine the answer to this question is- Any one is fine: JUST PICK ONE AND STICK TO IT.

If that is the case then my question is more geared to what are the differences/advantages of a workout with 7 lifts in one day(Yours) vs. a workout with 3 lifts in one day (Ripptoe's) Does one help more with muscle size or athleticism? I find it hard to believe two workouts with such different volume demands would yield the same result.

Thanks again

Originally Posted by EatMoreWheyMore View Post
    P.S. I would imagine the answer to this question is- Any one is fine: JUST PICK ONE AND STICK TO IT.

If that is the case then my question is more geared to what are the differences/advantages of a workout with 7 lifts in one day(Yours) vs. a workout with 3 lifts in one day (Ripptoe's) Does one help more with muscle size or athleticism? I find it hard to believe two workouts with such different volume demands would yield the same result.

Thanks again
    IF you're an athlete you can't beat Bill Starr. His programs have been building NFL champions since 1976 AND they're still in use today. That's longevity and battle tested results. Those boys don't fool around! Running a few cycles of my program and then running a few cycles of Starr's program will work pretty well. I don't like body part splits. About as far as I would go with that is an upper-lower split if you're an athlete. For body building body part splits seem to work well for advanced lifters and not so well for intermediates. That seems to be the reality. I prefer full body programs most of the time. I put 7 exercises in this program knowing full well that if I didn't everyone would screw with it and add things to it. I knew that would happen because I've been a regular poster in the 5x5 threads and watched in horror as some asshat that thought they knew better than Bill Starr proceeded to destroy the program. Notice that in this program I only used 2 work sets. The reason for that is the number of exercises.
    All of this comes down to where are you now? What kind of shape are you in? What are your training goals?
    I have some very large college kids currently using Starr's 636 program. That's an NFL program and in so far as I'm concerned for a an advance strength, speed, power athlete it is the single best program on earth.
    So again, it all comes down to where you are and where you want to go. There is no one life time program. The program that got you to a 250 pound bench press wont be the same program that gets you to 300 pounds. So what happened. Is the program suddenly crap? What changed? YOU DID! You've out grown it. This stuff is dynamic and personal. There is no black magic. This stuff has been researched and tested add nauseum. I just try to keep things as simple as possible. Big, basic and brutal. Add enough time for recovery and super compensation and you're good to go.

I hope that somewhere in that rant I answered your question...LOL!

Closed Thread
Page 50 of 340 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 150 ... LastLast