cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000)

The great protein debate

I have been reading a lot on here within the past week about the 30g/serving of protein myth being debunked and argued against hard.

Can someone help me better understand this bc I don't always understand the science behind protein and how our body works. I always thought that an overconsption would cause a higher increase of insulin in the body and also excessive protein that hasn't been broken down would be stored as fat. The idea begin constantly feeding your muscles protein every 2-3 hrs seems quite compelling and seems to make sense

How is it that consuming higher amounts of protein in 1 sitting, which also increases your caloric intake for that meal, not cause you to get fat

Looking forward to a much needed explanation

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The notion that the body can't run optimally for more than 2 or 3 hours without food intake is so absurd that it barely justifies a reply, but just to offer you a bit to chew on, did you know that intermittent fasting for 20 hours per day has no impact on whole-body glucose, lipid or protein metabolism?* Heck, I bet you didn't even know that the complete digestion of the food you eat takes 24 to 72 hours.

------------------
    * See: http://www.ajcn.org/content/90/5/1244.full.pdf

cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000) cbyerlee is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well I'm pretty sure my question does illicit a response because I don't understand it and I am trying to do so. I am not claiming those statements to me truth and my own they are the misconceptions I have only read about. Like I said I don't really understand how the body works I didn't go to school to understand science so I seek information from those who have

------------------
    * See: http://www.ajcn.org/content/90/5/1244.full.pdf[/QUOTE]

Your 100% correct I didn't know that which is why I am trying to become informed so if your not gonna offer me legitimate help go flame someone else

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by cbyerlee View Post
    I have only read about.
    Supplement marketing often tries to trick those that are very poorly informed about nutrition and one of their favorite methods is to imply that eating every 2 or 3 hours is helpful or even essential. The idea is to make feeding so unpleasant that you'll default to using 2 or more protein shakes per day.

rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rich503 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Your 100% correct I didn't know that which is why I am trying to become informed so if your not gonna offer me legitimate help go flame someone else
    Just the way things work around here. Try to take the useful info and leave all the BS behind.
    Richard Anderson, M.D.

I eat and thoroughly enjoy egg whites; for some reason you now think you are smarter than me. This makes me smile.

Pubmed: helpin' the anti-Bros post links to abstracts of studies they never read...anything less is Broscience!

-To the PubMed ninjas; you are what is wrong with the internet.

Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Another way to think of it, cyberlee, is that if your car has a 20 gallon gas tank and you're on a long trip, does it really matter if you fill it up every 18 gallons or every 3? In either case, you don't run out of fuel. IF the body was able to fully digest food in 2 hours and could not store its energy in an accessible form, then eating protein every 2-3 hours would make sense. Since it takes many hours to fully digest food the can of protein you eat at noon isn't even close to digested when you take in a protein shake at 3:00 pm.; forget that protein shake and you're still actively digesting the tuna in any case.

MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have been reading a lot on here within the past week about the 30g/serving of protein myth being debunked and argued against hard.

Can someone help me better understand this bc I don't always understand the science behind protein and how our body works. I always thought that an overconsption would cause a higher increase of insulin in the body and also excessive protein that hasn't been broken down would be stored as fat. The idea begin constantly feeding your muscles protein every 2-3 hrs seems quite compelling and seems to make sense

How is it that consuming higher amounts of protein in 1 sitting, which also increases your caloric intake for that meal, not cause you to get fat

A lot of people take for granted what the human body is capable. One can consume more than 30 g of protein in one sitting because of the intestinal braking system, the most significant of which is the ileal brake:

So the ileal brake controls the rate of how much food enters the small intestine so that absorption is maximized and food doesn't go to waste. In other words, it will slow down digestion essentially so that the small intestine can take its sweet time and absorb nutrients without being rushed into absorbing everything all at once. One study, showed maximum absorption rates to be as high as 10 g/hour for protein (for pure whey), although only a few proteins were measured. When you factor in a mixed diet and other sources of protein, you can expect lower rates of absorption such that it seems that a lot of protein may indeed go to waste. However, that study does not take into account the fact that the gastrointestinal system can adapt to diet, meaning that amino acid absorption can improve when the GI tract exposed to higher protein loads. To sum it all up, your intestines take care of the possible issues and make it all work in the end.

If protein was not actually broken down, then it would not even be absorbed by the intestine. If large peptides did make it into systemic circulation, your immune system would react to it and you could possibly get a food allergy from that (and this can happen with a diseased gut). A healthy small intestine makes sure that only broken down protein (amino acids, dipeptides, and tripeptides) get absorbed. Any protein that is not broken down (certain proteins and chains that are not bioavailable, that is) is not absorbed either goes to the large intestine where bacteria will use it for its own consumption or gets pooped out. It will not be turned into fat for storage because it does not enter systemic circulation in the first place.

Hope that helps. My fingers are tired.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

oldsmobile93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldsmobile93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldsmobile93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldsmobile93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldsmobile93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldsmobile93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldsmobile93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldsmobile93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldsmobile93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldsmobile93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldsmobile93 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

The average person usually gets about 50g of protein per day, I just double that amount and I am pretty muscular. There you go!

Originally Posted by MakeABanana View Post
    ...Hope that helps. My fingers are tired.
    Awesome post. Reps on spread.

Yea make a banana mad reps to you you simplified a lot of the scientific jazz my brain doesn't comprehend.

So let's say I ate 40 grams of chicken for dinner and 30 minutes later had a shake with 20 grams that 60 grams in a 30 minute time frame would be broken down and absorbed the same way two 30 gram shakes would be absorbed 3-4 hrs apart?

MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yea make a banana mad reps to you you simplified a lot of the scientific jazz my brain doesn't comprehend.

So let's say I ate 40 grams of chicken for dinner and 30 minutes later had a shake with 20 grams that 60 grams in a 30 minute time frame would be broken down and absorbed the same way two 30 gram shakes would be absorbed 3-4 hrs apart?
    Not quite. The composition of the meal--the amount of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates--affects digestion times (e.g. the intestinal braking system slows down digestion for fattier meals). Also, different protein types are absorbed at different rates as well. But you can be assured that much of your meat and dairy proteins will be absorbed into your system. Bioavailability of protein becomes more of an issue when you're dealing with plant proteins.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

Shat be confusing as hell

Shat be confusing as hell
    You're confusing yourself.

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    The notion that the body can't run optimally for more than 2 or 3 hours without food intake is so absurd that it barely justifies a reply, but just to offer you a bit to chew on, did you know that intermittent fasting for 20 hours per day has no impact on whole-body glucose, lipid or protein metabolism?* Heck, I bet you didn't even know that the complete digestion of the food you eat takes 24 to 72 hours.

------------------
    * See: http://www.ajcn.org/content/90/5/1244.full.pdf
    Thanks for that lit Pug? Don't have that one!

Originally Posted by Skoorbmax View Post
    Another way to think of it, cyberlee, is that if your car has a 20 gallon gas tank and you're on a long trip, does it really matter if you fill it up every 18 gallons or every 3? In either case, you don't run out of fuel. IF the body was able to fully digest food in 2 hours and could not store its energy in an accessible form, then eating protein every 2-3 hours would make sense. Since it takes many hours to fully digest food the can of protein you eat at noon isn't even close to digested when you take in a protein shake at 3:00 pm.; forget that protein shake and you're still actively digesting the tuna in any case.
    Good post!

Originally Posted by MakeABanana View Post
    A lot of people take for granted what the human body is capable. One can consume more than 30 g of protein in one sitting because of the intestinal braking system, the most significant of which is the ileal brake:

So the ileal brake controls the rate of how much food enters the small intestine so that absorption is maximized and food doesn't go to waste. In other words, it will slow down digestion essentially so that the small intestine can take its sweet time and absorb nutrients without being rushed into absorbing everything all at once. One study, showed maximum absorption rates to be as high as 10 g/hour for protein (for pure whey), although only a few proteins were measured. When you factor in a mixed diet and other sources of protein, you can expect lower rates of absorption such that it seems that a lot of protein may indeed go to waste. However, that study does not take into account the fact that the gastrointestinal system can adapt to diet, meaning that amino acid absorption can improve when the GI tract exposed to higher protein loads. To sum it all up, your intestines take care of the possible issues and make it all work in the end.

If protein was not actually broken down, then it would not even be absorbed by the intestine. If large peptides did make it into systemic circulation, your immune system would react to it and you could possibly get a food allergy from that (and this can happen with a diseased gut). A healthy small intestine makes sure that only broken down protein (amino acids, dipeptides, and tripeptides) get absorbed. Any protein that is not broken down (certain proteins and chains that are not bioavailable, that is) is not absorbed either goes to the large intestine where bacteria will use it for its own consumption or gets pooped out. It will not be turned into fat for storage because it does not enter systemic circulation in the first place.

Hope that helps. My fingers are tired.
    Excellent! Reps coming!!!