Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Hiding from ForumNature 400Lb Gorilla's Avatar
    400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    for almost everything i will pick a weight and work until i get reps across then bump the weight. such as if i want 3 sets of 10 on DB flyes i will pick a weight like 35 and work at them until i get my sets/reps then bump the weight. such as right now for DB bench i have been using the same DBs for a few weeks trying to get 3x5. i got 5,4,3 on them last Friday(this week was a complete deload) and before i was only able to get 3,3,2. thats progress. hopefully next week i get 5,5,5but eve if i get 5,4,4 i would have added a rep
    You would be surprised just how much time I have to waste.

JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by 400Lb Gorilla View Post
    for almost everything i will pick a weight and work until i get reps across then bump the weight. such as if i want 3 sets of 10 on DB flyes i will pick a weight like 35 and work at them until i get my sets/reps then bump the weight. such as right now for DB bench i have been using the same DBs for a few weeks trying to get 3x5. i got 5,4,3 on them last Friday(this week was a complete deload) and before i was only able to get 3,3,2. thats progress. hopefully next week i get 5,5,5but eve if i get 5,4,4 i would have added a rep
    R u even BBing tho? u r doing sets of 5 reps. I thought BB was like 8-10 reps.
    But from what ur saying seems like it doesnt matter how much of forever u have been benching 225 as long as u get the sets easy than u bump up aha. atleast thats 1 less thing to keep track of.

400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by JJinSS View Post
    Really? I love low bar squats. i hate the high bar. high bar hurts and i have to use that puss pad. Low bar feels amazing. like its painless and it sits ontop of so much more muscle instead of just the traps. And low bar reduces distance, reducing torque on ur back.

I think i do ATG fine with low bar, but w/e works for u ahaha. mmm 400 lb gorilla. im coming for ur 300 lb squats. Just 40 more lbs to go.
    lol my max high bar is 355 that i have done but i am very sure i could get 375. the day i decided to "max out" was my first day back doing high bar after doing low bar for a while. i prefer high bar because the depth is easier to get and the emphasis on the quads is better suited for my goals

But from what ur saying seems like it doesnt matter how much of forever u have been benching 225 as long as u get the sets easy than u bump up aha. atleast thats 1 less thing to keep track of.
    i do more of a mixed type deal. such as deadlifts are in the strength building range and they are first exercise of the day. but the other stuff like goodmornings, romanian deads, and leg curls are anywhere from 8-15 reps. same with the rest of my split. the first exercise is a compound lift that is in the strength building range then followed up by higher rep compounds and isolations

JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    lol my max high bar is 355 that i have done but i am very sure i could get 375. the day i decided to "max out" was my first day back doing high bar after doing low bar for a while. i prefer high bar because the depth is easier to get and the emphasis on the quads is better suited for my goals
    Damn 375. ahaha but im doing 3x5x260. so i mean ur doing 3x5 as well with 300. I culd get there sorta soon? maybe 2 months? i could add 5 lbs a week if i don't get stuck.

yea that high bar makes sense, idk how u deal with that pain tho. If i have to do high bar, i have to use the "puss" pad. I mean if u have traps like that johnnie jackson dude, **** i saw a video of him. Literally a 1 inch gap off his back because his freaking traps are so buff. Looks like a damn 2 hump camel.

well say this week you bench 225 for those 3 sets of 5. next week you bench 225 for 3 sets of 6 then you have progressed. same way with the mass building rep ranges if you get 3x8 with 225 this week then next week you get 3x10 you have progressed. pick a rep range then work at that weight until you get your reps. then bump the weight and do it again.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    At a bodyweight of about 130lb, I used to leg press about 650lb, for reps. Meanwhile, I could barely squat my bodyweight (in fact I was doing quarter squats back then, and STILL could barely do bodyweight). To make matters worse, I told myself that if I could only squat 1/5 of what I could leg press, there mustn't be any point in squatting, 'cus it mustn't be loading my muscles very well. I smartened up eventually, reduced leg press to an assistance exercise for a while, and now I haven't even touched a leg press in nearly 2 years other than for demonstration purposes. My legs have done some growing since then just fine with squats and deadlifts, and I'm now able to do 200lb for reps. So, OP, I'm realy not surprised that you can leg press 1000 but can barely squat 200, given I was at about the same ratio between the two exercises a couple years back.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Damn 375. ahaha but im doing 3x5x260. so i mean ur doing 3x5 as well with 300. I culd get there sorta soon? maybe 2 months? i could add 5 lbs a week if i don't get stuck.

yea that high bar makes sense, idk how u deal with that pain tho. If i have to do high bar, i have to use the "puss" pad. I mean if u have traps like that johnnie jackson dude, **** i saw a video of him. Literally a 1 inch gap off his back because his freaking traps are so buff. Looks like a damn 2 hump camel.
    not sure i haven't really had any pain from high bar once i got used to it. there is a kind of shelf my traps make when squeezed together that the bar sits on very comfortably.

lol low bar definitely was comfortable too thats ALOT of muscle(no ebrag) back there to pad the bar

not sure i haven't really had any pain from high bar once i got used to it. there is a kind of shelf my traps make when squeezed together that the bar sits on very comfortably.

lol low bar definitely was comfortable too thats ALOT of muscle(no ebrag) back there to pad the bar
    haha yerp plus the delts. K thanks for all the good advice 400 lb gorriala, nice talking to you.

Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    At a bodyweight of about 130lb, I used to leg press about 650lb, for reps. Meanwhile, I could barely squat my bodyweight (in fact I was doing quarter squats back then, and STILL could barely do bodyweight). To make matters worse, I told myself that if I could only squat 1/5 of what I could leg press, there mustn't be any point in squatting, 'cus it mustn't be loading my muscles very well. I smartened up eventually, reduced leg press to an assistance exercise for a while, and now I haven't even touched a leg press in nearly 2 years other than for demonstration purposes. My legs have done some growing since then just fine with squats and deadlifts, and I'm now able to do 200lb for reps. So, OP, I'm realy not surprised that you can leg press 1000 but can barely squat 200, given I was at about the same ratio between the two exercises a couple years back.
    yeah but be honest how good was your ROM? was it as deep as a squat? probably not since you couldnt get 130 at full depth. if you could use a deep ROM on leg press with 650 for reps then you should have found that 130 was a warmup set for you on squats(minus any core strength issues ofcourse).

the thing about leg press is even when you think you have great depth a video or a decent spotter(someone there to help you not ego boost you) will show/tell you otherwise.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I recently stopped using the pads near the bar at the gym. It feels good.

I also noticed that the weight was easier to lift for one rep when I involuntarily started using my shoulders to push the bar up. My back in that moment was relieved of squat stress, and I've come to think that the pressure on the back is a great deal of constriction for the exercise.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    JJinSS,

you can get used to pain from high bar placement. after some time, you won't feel it at all anymore. if you ever decide to switch from high bar to low bar, it may be helpful to just start throwing a few light sets of high bar in to your routine to give yourself a chance to get used to it.
    i'm hungry

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yeah but be honest how good was your ROM? was it as deep as a squat? probably not since you couldnt get 130 at full depth. if you could use a deep ROM on leg press with 650 for reps then you should have found that 130 was a warmup set for you on squats(minus any core strength issues ofcourse).

the thing about leg press is even when you think you have great depth a video or a decent spotter(someone there to help you not ego boost you) will show/tell you otherwise.
    It's been 2 years, so I'm not sure what my ROM was like. I know that I always made sure I at least got my shins parallel to the ground, and it always felt as though my torso was getting in the way of me going any deeper, but then maybe I just needed to angle my feet out more (I was pointing them out 30degrees as I recall).

Doesn't matter, I KNOW the quality of my squats was absolutely terrible for a long time there - trunk was rotating, not using core or back properly at all, chest down, lats soft, etc. Then my squats become more like a goodmorning...this was actually an improvement, but still wrong. Then, finally, I had a couple classes, one with an Olympic lifter, another with a competitive power lifter, and started cluing in. That was around the time that leg presses left my programs altogether; not to shun the leg press at all, but it wasn't long before I read and started Starting Strength, and I haven't found myself needing the leg press since.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com