Thread: noob gains

RajAcharya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

noob gains

what exactly are noob gains? and did i miss out on my chance of gaining a lot of size if instead i gained a lot of strength because the first 2 years of my weight lifting i wasn't in a caloric excess?? Thanks in advance.
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by RajAcharya View Post
    what exactly are noob gains? and did i miss out on my chance of gaining a lot of size if instead i gained a lot of strength because the first 2 years of my weight lifting i wasn't in a caloric excess?? Thanks in advance.
    i would say 1-2 lbs muscle a week.

That is what i am experiencing at the moment, i've been lifting for about 5-6 weeks.

joshjaeckels has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There is no such thing as noob gains, there is no set amount of time you have to gain some solid muscle. Just keep working at it, everybody's body responds differently.

untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) untitled8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by joshjaeckels View Post
    There is no such thing as noob gains, there is no set amount of time you have to gain some solid muscle. Just keep working at it, everybody's body responds differently.
    I'm not going to experience 2lbs muscle a week gain for the rest of my life, so therefore you could class my gains as being noob gains.

You also didn't gain 2 pounds of muscle a week your first few weeks, you might think you did but you didn't. But you could gain the same amount as you did the first week (i'm thinking maybe a half of pound) for a long time by always adjusting your diet and workouts.

You also didn't gain 2 pounds of muscle a week your first few weeks, you might think you did but you didn't. But you could gain the same amount as you did the first week (i'm thinking maybe a half of pound) for a long time by always adjusting your diet and workouts.
    Well by my calculations i did, but thanks for your opinion.

Your welcome, here's another.. your calculations are wrong.

Your welcome, here's another.. your calculations are wrong.
    lol, care to reinvent the calculator?

Originally Posted by untitled8 View Post
    lol, care to reinvent the calculator?
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki2.htm

It's a good article, but it contradicts my results so far.

Unless there is something i am not accounting for in my calculations?

Don't get me wrong I hope you all the best and that you make this a lifestyle, I'm just saying that it is very unrealistic to gain that much muscle. I'm not saying your gaining fat instead im just saying that there is a lot of other things involved, it could be water weight, glycogen stores or something else.
    As long as your progressing, working hard and having fun with it it doesn't really matter.. good luck man

Don't get me wrong I hope you all the best and that you make this a lifestyle, I'm just saying that it is very unrealistic to gain that much muscle. I'm not saying your gaining fat instead im just saying that there is a lot of other things involved, it could be water weight, glycogen stores or something else.
    As long as your progressing, working hard and having fun with it it doesn't really matter.. good luck man
    Thanks, indeed you're right, as long as i'm progressing i'm happy. It is indeed a lifestyle choice.

Originally Posted by untitled8 View Post
    Thanks, indeed you're right, as long as i'm progressing i'm happy. It is indeed a lifestyle choice.
    Haha INDEED! I think I'll use that word a lot today

Haha INDEED! I think I'll use that word a lot today
    haha!! i have been saying that too much today.

Misc. OTO-HNS consult Dr. Horse's Avatar
    Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Didn't read the article, but FYI the common belief around here and in the BB world about limits of muscle gain simply aren't true. The human body can indeed lay down a LOT of muscle quickly in certain circumstances (not talking about AAS, btw).
    No sir, I don't like it.

100% Badger Milk SOUPtheEXTREME's Avatar
    SOUPtheEXTREME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SOUPtheEXTREME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SOUPtheEXTREME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SOUPtheEXTREME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SOUPtheEXTREME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SOUPtheEXTREME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SOUPtheEXTREME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SOUPtheEXTREME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SOUPtheEXTREME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SOUPtheEXTREME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SOUPtheEXTREME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    "'Noob gains' is simply the common term for training in a deconditioned state."

Don't have a strong enough opinion on the second portion so I won't mislead you.

Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Noob gains as far as I know (and in my case) refers to the time when an untrained person begins training and eating well, and they both rapidly build muscle and lose body fat at the same time. It usually last about 1-2 months before it goes to normal.

And also, you can lay down a lot of muscle in a short amount of time. I went from being a computer geek, to working a landscaping job, and I dropped about 15 pounds, while simultaneously becoming WAY stronger and packing on a ****-ton of muscle. This is simply because I was eating a ton of food, drinking loads of water, and working out 8+ hours a day 5 days a week of both cardio-esque activities, and weight lifting-esque activities. This was over a 2.5 month period. Some sick noob gains imo. And that 15 pounds was WEIGHT not FAT. I went from 200 to 185, while building a lot of muscle, so I had to lose probably 25+lb of fat. Thats what you can do as a noob when you go from completely sedentary with a ****ty diet rich in kraft dinner and ramen, to 40 hours of physical work a week and a diet rich in protein bars, sandwiches and home cooked dinners (also, some good genetics)
    Last edited by Opies; 02-07-2009 at 01:54 AM.

Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Did you miss out on size by not eating in caloric excess. Possibly, but also possibly your training regimen was not specialized for hypertrophy.

You said you got stronger but not much bigger. Were you doing low-reps at high weights? If so, this is very possible because your fast-twitch fibers will not increase in size at the same proportion your slow-twitch fibers will. This is why bodybuilders might have a great deal more LBM than a powerlifter who can bench, squat, or deadlift the same 1RM.