hard2eat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein and Gout

Im taking an Anatomy & Physiology class this semester and my professor told me that excess protein gets turned into uric acid and can cause gout or something in that sense. I read in a few articles to take whey when you wake, before you go to the gym, after the gym and casein before you sleep. I just take whey twice a day and casein before I sleep. My question is, will this intake of protein shakes increase my risk of gout?

Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by hard2eat View Post
    Im taking an Anatomy & Physiology class this semester and my professor told me that excess protein gets turned into uric acid and can cause gout or something in that sense. I read in a few articles to take whey when you wake, before you go to the gym, after the gym and casein before you sleep. I just take whey twice a day and casein before I sleep. My question is, will this intake of protein shakes increase my risk of gout?
    I've never heard of an athlete developing gout.

Registered User Quasimodosbelfr's Avatar
    Quasimodosbelfr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

It's purines

It's not proteins but purines that are the cause.

wi55am has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think only people with gout can talk about these issue .. i m surprised there's not enough coverage about body building for gout sufferes , I had gout since i was 19 and its not only about the Purines .. its easy to type .. but real life is way more complicated ..

Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Gout can be caused by high acidity in the blood (such as with metabolic acidosis secondary to diabetic ketoacidosis), in kidney failure, and/or in people genetically predisposed to altered purine/pyrimidine metabolism.

Metabolic substrates for purine biosynthesis come from the Krebs cycle (aka TCA cycle, citric acid cycle). Any excessive intake of calories would increase the amount of krebs cycle intermediates.

Caffeine actually has been shown to help reduce gout if you are concerned. But, quite frankly, millions of people take supplemental protein and do not develop gout.

My two cents is that protein consumption does not carry risk of gout.
    Disclaimer: The above statments represent my own opinion. The above statements do not constitute medical advice.

wi55am has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    gout hit differnet people in differnt joints , for me its mostly my hips , i took whey protein for two weeks , and all of a sudden , i literally couldn't walk .. so from my personal experience whey protein does cause gout and i had to live on pain killers for two weeks so that i can walk .. my questions is why is there no specific supplement that says .. ""THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE GOUT AND WANT TO BUILD MUSCLE "" ??

I just cant keep trying shake after shake and keep hurting my joints like that .. its really hard , and i m speaking from experience not books ..

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by wi55am View Post
    gout hit differnet people in differnt joints , for me its mostly my hips , i took whey protein for two weeks , and all of a sudden , i literally couldn't walk .. so from my personal experience whey protein does cause gout and i had to live on pain killers for two weeks so that i can walk .. my questions is why is there no specific supplement that says .. ""THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE GOUT AND WANT TO BUILD MUSCLE "" ??

I just cant keep trying shake after shake and keep hurting my joints like that .. its really hard , and i m speaking from experience not books ..
    try panthonic acid and a black cherry supplement. if that doesn't work allipurinol is cheap and very good.

Joe D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joe D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joe D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joe D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joe D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joe D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joe D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joe D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joe D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joe D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joe D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by wi55am View Post

try some gemma protein.
    call me the rap assasinator, rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger.