bcurly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

exercises to strengthen legs w/o bending knees

A client of mine wants me to make her a leg workout to strengthen her quads,hams and glutes, without having to bend her knees, I have a couple exercises in mind, but need some advice from other trainers!!
    Thank you so much
    Bridget "bcurly" Miller

regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Why?

You are the trainer she should not be telling you how to do your job.

PerFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PerFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PerFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PerFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PerFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PerFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PerFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PerFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PerFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PerFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PerFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by regl8r View Post
    Why?

You are the trainer she should not be telling you how to do your job.
    im assuming injury?

Joshuapittman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Training the legs without bending the knees...I take it you mean to work the quads and hams, since you don't need the knees for adduction, abduction or calf work.

For Quads, try using full range squats. If the range of motion is just limited then you bend the knee as much as permitted and then stand up straight. You must load the weight 3-4 times what you normally for this to have any effect. Since you can't use reps you measure progress by time under tension.

I must emphasize that you need lots and lots of weight for this to work. Sometimes, with de-conditioned clients, this will be impractical. In this case, you could lower the weight and then train them on each leg using the same principles.

You can get to the hamstrings by using good-mornings, you don't need to bend the knee for them.

If you want to train the internal and external rotators of the hip without bending the knee, I'm not sure I can help.

nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    There are a few options but not all that many truely effective ones.
    Often in rehab after a knee surgery the leg extension will be used in an isometric manner so that the client can push as hard as they can against the pad at a nearly full extended position. The rectus femoris can also be worked as a hip flexor and can be done without bending the knees.
    Glutes, there are tons of ways to target ie reverse hypers as well as abduction with cables, lying leg planks etc.
    The hamstrings can be done with SLDL or anything that works the hip extension portion.
    Ofcourse non of this will be a very well rounded leg program without bending the knees and dont forget about the adductor muslces gracilis sartorius etc that you will be missing out on hitting. Something is always better then nothing and will help in the long run when the client gets back to full health.

Jsmith30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jsmith30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jsmith30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jsmith30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jsmith30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jsmith30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jsmith30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jsmith30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jsmith30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jsmith30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jsmith30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nsiegel5 View Post
    Often in rehab after a knee surgery the leg extension will be used in an isometric manner so that the client can push as hard as they can against the pad at a nearly full extended position. The rectus femoris can also be worked as a hip flexor and can be done without bending the knees.
    Glutes, there are tons of ways to target ie reverse hypers as well as abduction with cables, lying leg planks etc.
    The hamstrings can be done with SLDL or anything that works the hip extension portion.
    Ofcourse non of this will be a very well rounded leg program without bending the knees and dont forget about the adductor muslces gracilis sartorius etc that you will be missing out on hitting. Something is always better then nothing and will help in the long run when the client gets back to full health.
    good advice. i like this advice

bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try Xband walks. lying hip abduction,adduction, flexion, extension with ankle weights

Originally Posted by PerFit View Post
    im assuming injury?
    yes, injury not to mention
    and age and deterioration.
    Bridget "bcurly" Miller

Smile

Originally Posted by nsiegel5 View Post

Great advice, thank you
    I have several hamstring exercises for her just was wanting some more ideas for her quads,

Thank you all for your input!
    Bridget "bcurly" Miller

regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Could you offer a little more insight like what the injury is, age, Etc. I'm assuming they experience pain after a certain point of bending their knee.

Are you doing things to increase joint mobility? I would make that priority number one over strength. Throw in some TKE's if you aren't doing them yet.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    bcurly: I'm not picking on you since many people come here and ask for advice but fail to give any info on why they asked the question.
    It would be silly and wrong to give any advicve on what excersises to recommend with out know exsactly what injuries and or limitation the person has.

McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You need to convince her that by bending the knee she will strengthen the joint and not wear it out !
    because fitness isn't coincidence

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    so I'm assuming this client is also advised not to walk up stairs or take a number two unless there are side rails that will let her use her arms to get her off the toilet..
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

chadmackey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    so I'm assuming this client is also advised not to walk up stairs or take a number two unless there are side rails that will let her use her arms to get her off the toilet..
    lol

kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    I'm actually going to use this Monday. Thanks, Keltron.
    The mind leads the body...get your head right and the body will follow

ACE CPT
    NFPT CPT
    NCSF CPT

jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    U can't train the quads w/o bending the knees
    But stiff legged deadlifts. Are great for the hams
    If your client can't bends. Their legs how do they get. there
    Just. Curious

Registered User davidjmacmillan's Avatar
    davidjmacmillan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have knee injuries, chondromalacia. I can't do squats or lunges, but I can do the top ROM for leg extensions. But I've also been using the stationary bike to strengthen my quads. I approach it like sets: I'll do a minute at a hard resistance and a minute at a light recovery resistance. This is working well to build some strength around the knee and relieve joint pain.

There's also an exercise called terminal knee extension, although I haven't tried it so I can't offer any opinions.
    "It is not that we have a short space of time, but that we waste much of it. Life is long enough, and it has been given in sufficiently generous measure to allow the accomplishment of the very greatest things if the whole of it is well invested." Seneca (3BC-65AD)

www.davidjmacmillan.com

Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I hace a few clients with Osteo and they should not be doing exercises which putting strain on knees or lower back, so for quads I make them do step ups with light weight and they all love it.

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kneedragger85 View Post
    I'm actually going to use this Monday. Thanks, Keltron.
    lol no prob. How did it go?
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000)
    Kettlebells. Serious, they do wonders for certrain knee conditions.
    A.C.E Certified Personal Trainer
    N.E.S.T.A Fitness Nutrition Coach

HOMER: [holds Lisa's suitcase] Somebody's traveling light.
    LISA: Meh. Maybe you're just getting stronger.
    HOMER: Well, I have been eating more.

Squat:560-Raw 565-wraps
    Bench:365-Raw
    Deadlift:555-Raw
    Front Squat-405x2(Raw) 465x1(Wraps)

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Joshuapittman View Post

For Quads, try using full range squats. If the range of motion is just limited then you bend the knee as much as permitted and then stand up straight. You must load the weight 3-4 times what you normally for this to have any effect. Since you can't use reps you measure progress by time under tension.

I must emphasize that you need lots and lots of weight for this to work. Sometimes, with de-conditioned clients, this will be impractical. In this case, you could lower the weight and then train them on each leg using the same principles.

You can get to the hamstrings by using good-mornings, you don't need to bend the knee for them.

If you want to train the internal and external rotators of the hip without bending the knee, I'm not sure I can help.
    notsureifsrs.jpg

If this is actually your advice, please don't tell me you are actually a paid personal trainer.

nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100)
    I would've fired most of you.

Pay raises to those who asked "why".
    Termination for those who blindly prescribed with no history
    Word of mouth trash talking for those of you who prescribed bent knee exercises when the rule was NO knee bending.
    I would've lied if I told you this was easy.

Check out my tumblr: http://nickmanzoni.tumblr.com/

brspecialists has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brspecialists has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brspecialists has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brspecialists has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brspecialists has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brspecialists has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brspecialists has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brspecialists has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brspecialists has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brspecialists has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brspecialists has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Legs

Originally Posted by bcurly View Post
    A client of mine wants me to make her a leg workout to strengthen her quads,hams and glutes, without having to bend her knees, I have a couple exercises in mind, but need some advice from other trainers!!
    Thank you so much
    3 of the quads group only action is extension at the knee so getting results for the quads will be difficult. You can do a seated straight leg lift I guess. For the hams you can do straight-legged dead lift, which will also hit the glutes. More importantly though is getting your client to bend her knees, even with injury you can bend your knee safely when done correctly. Good luck.

Matt
    www.brspecialists.net
    www.bodyrenewfitness.com

kevinvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinvee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wall squats!