Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Membership Consultant Position

I have applied for a job as a Membership Consultant for a gym, and i have a group assessment on the 10th. Now it isnt personal training, but i think it may be a good way to enter the industry. Being a membership consultant could possibly allow me to follow membership sale trends, ages of people signing, goals, prices willing to pay, fitness levels and the amount or flow of memberships coming through. And gaining this knowledge would make it easier down the track when I become certified and start training to obtain clients as i can target to the area and what not.

I have been a membership consultant for a karate club, but i quit that as it isn't the same. Has anyone on this forum been specifically a membership consultant? Any tips or advice going into this group assessment? Any view on the actual profession and if it is worth getting into?

Thanks

BRB... Eating a chicken askthetrainer's Avatar
    askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Richoss View Post
    I have applied for a job as a Membership Consultant for a gym, and i have a group assessment on the 10th. Now it isnt personal training, but i think it may be a good way to enter the industry. Being a membership consultant could possibly allow me to follow membership sale trends, ages of people signing, goals, prices willing to pay, fitness levels and the amount or flow of memberships coming through. And gaining this knowledge would make it easier down the track when I become certified and start training to obtain clients as i can target to the area and what not.

I have been a membership consultant for a karate club, but i quit that as it isn't the same. Has anyone on this forum been specifically a membership consultant? Any tips or advice going into this group assessment? Any view on the actual profession and if it is worth getting into?

Thanks
    Way back in the day when I was a freshman/sophomore in college I needed a job and I went to Gold's gym and applied as a personal trainer. They hired me and said I had to be a membership consultant for a month or 2 or 3 before they would "promote me" to a personal trainer.

What they really meant is they were going to test my 19 year old sales skills and lay me off if I wasn't a shark.

While I didn't specifically apply for the membership consultant and hated every second (beside jacking Myoplex smoothies every time I could) of the cold-calling and book presenting I thought the couple months I was a membership consultant was definitely a positive experience at the beginning of my career in the fitness industry.

Depending on your location this sales job could lead you to be an assistant manager & manager and eventually maybe a club director if that's the path you put yourself on.

I think the most important part of the job (like most sales jobs) is to have absolutely no shame. It all depends on how much you like sales and how much you like money being the only thing which is important to your job.

An ******* douchebag who gets more sales gets tons more kudos w/ the company than a cool/nice dude or girl who doesn't make sales.
    Contact me about our author Program

www.AskTheTrainer.com | Twitter.com/AskTheTrainer | ********.com/askthetrainercom

Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by askthetrainer View Post
    Way back in the day when I was a freshman/sophomore in college I needed a job and I went to Gold's gym and applied as a personal trainer. They hired me and said I had to be a membership consultant for a month or 2 or 3 before they would "promote me" to a personal trainer.

What they really meant is they were going to test my 19 year old sales skills and lay me off if I wasn't a shark.

While I didn't specifically apply for the membership consultant and hated every second (beside jacking Myoplex smoothies every time I could) of the cold-calling and book presenting I thought the couple months I was a membership consultant was definitely a positive experience at the beginning of my career in the fitness industry.

Depending on your location this sales job could lead you to be an assistant manager & manager and eventually maybe a club director if that's the path you put yourself on.

I think the most important part of the job (like most sales jobs) is to have absolutely no shame. It all depends on how much you like sales and how much you like money being the only thing which is important to your job.

An ******* douchebag who gets more sales gets tons more kudos w/ the company than a cool/nice dude or girl who doesn't make sales.
    thanks for the reply, it was the reply i was hoping to get. Could you maybe shed some light on what a typical day was like during this period and any tips for selling memberships?

BRB... Eating a chicken askthetrainer's Avatar
    askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000)
    thanks for the reply, it was the reply i was hoping to get. Could you maybe shed some light on what a typical day was like during this period and any tips for selling memberships?
    It was a long time ago, I really don't remember all the details of what the typical day was like but I do remember to make sales you have to be persistent and you can rely on the stuff they give you.

They will probably give you these 3 ring binders w/ all their packages and a formula for presenting. It may seem like its not worth it to go through the motions but it's researched and proven sales techniques...
    Contact me about our author Program

www.AskTheTrainer.com | Twitter.com/AskTheTrainer | ********.com/askthetrainercom

Originally Posted by askthetrainer View Post
    It was a long time ago, I really don't remember all the details of what the typical day was like but I do remember to make sales you have to be persistent and you can rely on the stuff they give you.

They will probably give you these 3 ring binders w/ all their packages and a formula for presenting. It may seem like its not worth it to go through the motions but it's researched and proven sales techniques...
    thanks for the tips trainer, highly appreciate it

Babyfarts McGeezaks is just really nice. (+1000) Babyfarts McGeezaks is just really nice. (+1000) Babyfarts McGeezaks is just really nice. (+1000) Babyfarts McGeezaks is just really nice. (+1000) Babyfarts McGeezaks is just really nice. (+1000) Babyfarts McGeezaks is just really nice. (+1000) Babyfarts McGeezaks is just really nice. (+1000) Babyfarts McGeezaks is just really nice. (+1000) Babyfarts McGeezaks is just really nice. (+1000) Babyfarts McGeezaks is just really nice. (+1000) Babyfarts McGeezaks is just really nice. (+1000)
    funny thing is that's actually what i'm doing right now
    i got a job doing member sales while i wait to get my cert done, who know where i'll be when that happens so we'll see
    as far as what my day is like
    i come in
    talk to members for awhile
    make some calls and try to bring in new members
    get lunch
    make more calls
    talk to more members
    and hopefully through out the day i'll be lucky enough to get a couple random people walking in for info on the gym that i try to sell to

the ****ty parts:
    lots of phone calls
    borderline ruthless sales tactics
    since you're entry level odds are the sales people above you will take all the walk ins so you'll have to rely on getting your sales through making friends with members and having them bring in friends or lots of phone calls

also you're gonna have a quota that will probably be almost impossible to hit but still stress the **** outta you in and out of work
    right now the quota is really stressing me out and its just the beginning of the month, its getting so bad that i'm actually thinking about asking to be moved from sales to just doing front desk where i'd be making minimum wage

if you have any other questions feel free to ask me though bro

Originally Posted by jcm30801 View Post
    funny thing is that's actually what i'm doing right now
    i got a job doing member sales while i wait to get my cert done, who know where i'll be when that happens so we'll see
    as far as what my day is like
    i come in
    talk to members for awhile
    make some calls and try to bring in new members
    get lunch
    make more calls
    talk to more members
    and hopefully through out the day i'll be lucky enough to get a couple random people walking in for info on the gym that i try to sell to

the ****ty parts:
    lots of phone calls
    borderline ruthless sales tactics
    since you're entry level odds are the sales people above you will take all the walk ins so you'll have to rely on getting your sales through making friends with members and having them bring in friends or lots of phone calls

also you're gonna have a quota that will probably be almost impossible to hit but still stress the **** outta you in and out of work
    right now the quota is really stressing me out and its just the beginning of the month, its getting so bad that i'm actually thinking about asking to be moved from sales to just doing front desk where i'd be making minimum wage

if you have any other questions feel free to ask me though bro
    so is there any good part to it? haha do you ever go outside the gym to promote and sign new members up? whats the pay like, decent? Do they give you all the material and training you need to make the sales?

oh and thanks for the reply bro

dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer anyways

so is there any good part to it?
    If you good at ruthless selling you can make an average salary while only having a high school diploma.

do you ever go outside the gym to promote and sign new members up?
    Every once in a while the gym sponsors an event which you should work to get more leads. However, most of the time the gym has their own promotions (i.e. open house, two day only sale) to try to drive leads to you.

whats the pay like, decent?
    The pay is commission based. You have a price range you can sell the memberships for. Try to sell a membership for the most you can possibly get a person to pay. The more revenue you bring in, the more you make.

Do they give you all the material and training you need to make the sales?
    There really isn't any training; just get folks to sign up for the gym using the existing system (i.e. current promotions, tour of the gym, trial memberships). The last part is key. Corporate gyms do not like innovative employees. Don't think outside the box; or at least if you do, don't let anyone know.

The bottom line is this: If you consistently exceed quota you are the golden boy. If you constantly make quota you are left alone most of the time. If you can't make quota you are treated like crap until you quit or are fired.
    Professional Fitness Trainer
    MS, NASM, NFPT

Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yep, all the advice given so far has been accurate.

blakero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Commission

Thanks
    If you are comfortable with a commission position and out going you'll be fine, there is stress that comes with it being a sales position though but you are also in more control of your income it can go both ways. Depends on how hard you work at it. I say do it!!
    There is no try...