teddythedog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How often should i work my chest?

Hi, i am 16 years old and this is my chest workout routine but there are alot of things i would like to ask as i am unsure of certain things

This is my chest workout:
    4sets of 8-12 Dumbell Chest press
    3sets of 8-12 incline dumbell chest press
    3sets of 6-8 Pec Fly (Machine)

Now what i want to know is that should i work my chest once or twice a week?

I don't know if i should just work my chest on wednesday and wait till next week wednesday and work my chest again which is total of 7 days rest for my chest.

Or

If i should give my chest 4-5 days rest instead of 7 and Work my chest again with the same routine on Monday.

Which is better? also is my chest workout routine OK?

Registered User KrazyEyezKillah's Avatar
    KrazyEyezKillah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KrazyEyezKillah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KrazyEyezKillah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KrazyEyezKillah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KrazyEyezKillah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KrazyEyezKillah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KrazyEyezKillah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KrazyEyezKillah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KrazyEyezKillah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KrazyEyezKillah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KrazyEyezKillah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by teddythedog View Post
    Hi, i am 16 years old and this is my chest workout routine but there are alot of things i would like to ask as i am unsure of certain things

This is my chest workout:
    4sets of 8-12 Dumbell Chest press
    3sets of 8-12 incline dumbell chest press
    3sets of 6-8 Pec Fly (Machine)

Now what i want to know is that should i work my chest once or twice a week?

I don't know if i should just work my chest on wednesday and wait till next week wednesday and work my chest again which is total of 7 days rest for my chest.

Or

If i should give my chest 4-5 days rest instead of 7 and Work my chest again with the same routine on Monday.

Which is better? also is my chest workout routine OK?
    I do mine twice a week but a lot of guys only do once. Try both and just see what works best for your body. However I would say that 10 sets per week for chest seems a little low. If I was only gonna do once a week I would do more.

SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000)
    i work my chest 2 or 3 times a week because its my weak point and havent overtrained. 4-5 days rest is plenty to recover
    Master total
    S: 585
    B: 370
    D: 605

NOW HAS A LOG!!!! peanut-butter's Avatar
    peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    At 15, I would drop the volume bench 2-3 times per week.
    "Whoa, peanut-butter does look a lot like Cum." - Alan Aragon

IIFYMM- If it fits Your Macros and Micros.

5k+ Link (Please PM me if I forget)

*Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs

alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SamSix View Post
    i work my chest 2 or 3 times a week because its my weak point and havent overtrained. 4-5 days rest is plenty to recover
    3 times a week, overtraining..

Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by alexcolosimoo View Post
    you are a jackass

TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You need to be smacked in the face if you aren't kidding. 3 times a week is fine, as long as you're not doing 50 sets each chest day. Frequency is fine, and high volume is fine, but not mixed.

Registered User miamibodybuilder's Avatar
    miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    well i have a lagging chest and what i have been doing is i do my heavy chest work on monday. so i hit it hard and heavy that day, but then on thursday which is chest day i'll do a touch-up for chest which wont be as heavy but i dont do 30 reps to burn it out either. i choose 2 exercises and i do 10-15 reps for 3-4 sets of each exercise. also, i see you wrote down your chest routine, i hope that changes from week to week or at least every so often right? because if you keep that same routine for months at a time you're not taking advantage of all the tools you have to cause growth. change the angles, grip width, rep scheme, rep tempos, change it all up every other week if you'd like to keep the muscle guessing.
    NGA Natural bodybuilder
    AAEFX Board Rep
    Team Natural Freak

Havu93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Havu93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Havu93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Havu93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Havu93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Havu93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Havu93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Havu93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Havu93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Havu93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Havu93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bench max? If it's not much then 2-3 times > once. I'd say do it two times. Why db?
    Fitness is a battle - are You ready for the front line?

dstewa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TrexKare View Post
    You need to be smacked in the face if you aren't kidding. 3 times a week is fine, as long as you're not doing 50 sets each chest day. Frequency is fine, and high volume is fine, but not mixed.
    Why would you ever lift three times a week. That is such a waste of time and you dont get the rest period in between workouts that you need.

Just hit chest hard on your chest day and be sure to be working your back just as hard. It will make all the difference.

alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexcolosimoo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Even doing light 3 times is overtraining dickhead, nice try though.

TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrexKare is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Even doing light 3 times is overtraining dickhead, nice try though.
    Smolov Jr. Nuff said.

Originally Posted by dstewa View Post
    Why would you ever lift three times a week. That is such a waste of time and you dont get the rest period in between workouts that you need.

Just hit chest hard on your chest day and be sure to be working your back just as hard. It will make all the difference.
    Im not saying i do it personally, I was saying theres no problem with it and its not over training

Im not saying i do it personally, I was saying theres no problem with it and its not over training
    It is not overtraining if you arnt training hard enough like you should be. I guarantee that if you work it hard one day you will be sore for 3-5 days.

It is not overtraining if you arnt training hard enough like you should be. I guarantee that if you work it hard one day you will be sore for 3-5 days.
    DOMS is not a sign of a good workout. Results are. Have you ever heard of Smolov Jr for benching? I'd look into it if I were you, I've seen many many many people use it to increase their bench, and with Smolov you bench 3 or 4 times a week, many sets.

Its not a beginner program though. Thats probably why you think It's over training.
    Last edited by TrexKare; 11-21-2011 at 08:06 AM.

DOMS has nothing to do with the time you need to recover.

As far a the Smolov training goes, it seems like youd use it if your competing in a bench press competition. That being said, by following that work out you will be neglecting muscle groups that help your bench such as triceps, shoulders, most of all back.

I only lift one muscle group a day once a week and Ive had some pretty solid gains over that past six months.

OP try the 3 times a week if you would like just be aware of over stretching or over training of your pecs because a tear will hold you back a while.

DOMS has nothing to do with the time you need to recover.

As far a the Smolov training goes, it seems like youd use it if your competing in a bench press competition. That being said, by following that work out you will be neglecting muscle groups that help your bench such as triceps, shoulders, most of all back.

I only lift one muscle group a day once a week and Ive had some pretty solid gains over that past six months.

OP try the 3 times a week if you would like just be aware of over stretching or over training of your pecs because a tear will hold you back a while.
    DOMS has everything to do with what you said, I didn't say it had to do with recovery time. Listen man, I'm not saying smolov/smolov jr is the greatest thing in bodybuilding, im saying that benching 3 or 4 times a week is not over training, or a bad thing at all. It has its place, is what im trying to point out.

Op, I do not recommend you personally bench 3-4 times a week. You sound like a beginner, I'd bench monday and friday. If you are interested in strength training,Id look up SS, Babylover has a thread on here called "why SS sucks balls" where he gives a slightly modified version of it, but IMO its no worse, but no greater than the original.

If you still want to try 1x week, Id do 5x8-10 flat DB bench press, 5x8-10 Incline DB bench press, and 4x8 Incline flys. Just so you know though, Barbell bench press adds more mass on your chest, while Dumbell bench press adds a little less mass, but shapes the pec a bit more from what I've seen.

I think you misunderstand what DOMS is...

So let me explain it to you. All delayed onset muscle soreness is, is the soreness which is felt a day to three days after the exercise. After such exercise, the muscle adapts rapidly to prevent muscle damage, and thereby soreness, if the exercise is repeated. It is just a symptom of exercise induced muscle damage which happens after a workout.

So if you are working hard enough on your Chest day you will not have recovered after just one day of rest and by working that same muscle group again you are risking over training and injury.

Plus if you are overtrained it could take up to eight weeks for your body to regenerate, you could lose appetite, lose motivation, have a higher resting heart rate and even be prone to a larger quantity of minor injuries.

I think you misunderstand what DOMS is...

So let me explain it to you. All delayed onset muscle soreness is, is the soreness which is felt a day to three days after the exercise. After such exercise, the muscle adapts rapidly to prevent muscle damage, and thereby soreness, if the exercise is repeated. It is just a symptom of exercise induced muscle damage which happens after a workout.

So if you are working hard enough on your Chest day you will not have recovered after just one day of rest and by working that same muscle group again you are risking over training and injury.
    Muscle fatigue is a greater measure of an effective workout over soreness.

Soreness is more prevelant when you first start working out a particular muscle group but continuous exercise reduce the amount of soreness you have over time. We are not focusing on ops topic like we should, I just don't like the ignorance people seem to have about over training. It all comes down to the individual, a person with 2 years experience will have a hell of a lot better recovery doing tasking exercises and programs than someone 6 months in, THAT is my point, THAT is what im trying to get across.
    No, I do not recommend benching 3x a week to a beginner, Smolov Jr is not a beginner program, but for those who meet the conditions it is not over training.

The reason doms was brought up is because you said after 1 serious day of chest exercise, I'd be sore. My point was, Being sore is not an indication that you had a good workout. You can have a GREAT workout and not have DOMS for 3 days

Plus if you are overtrained it could take up to eight weeks for your body to regenerate, you could lose appetite, lose motivation, have a higher resting heart rate and even be prone to a larger quantity of minor injuries.
    Yes, over training is bad, never said it wasn't. Im saying that Benching 3x a week for someone who is already benching 230-240 is not a problem for those who have the proper diet.
    BCAA's, Whey protein, Creatine, they all effect your recovery.
    Last edited by TrexKare; 11-21-2011 at 08:49 AM.

Muscle fatigue is a greater measure of an effective workout over soreness.

Soreness is more prevelant when you first start working out a particular muscle group but continuous exercise reduce the amount of soreness you have over time. We are not focusing on ops topic like we should, I just don't like the ignorance people seem to have about over training. It all comes down to the individual, a person with 2 years experience will have a hell of a lot better recovery doing tasking exercises and programs than someone 6 months in, THAT is my point, THAT is what im trying to get across.
    No, I do not recommend benching 3x a week to a beginner, Smolov Jr is not a beginner program, but for those who meet the conditions it is not over training.

The reason doms was brought up is because you said after 1 serious day of chest exercise, I'd be sore. My point was, Being sore is not an indication that you had a good workout. You can have a GREAT workout and not have DOMS for 3 days
    Being sore is a sign that your muscles are adapting to the stress, which means they are growing.

That being said, you can reduce soreness with diet and supplementation. However, if you are never sore are you even really working that hard?

And Ill give you what I said about being sore for 3-5 days. I actually meant you would be recovering for 3-5 days.

And Ill give you what I said about being sore for 3-5 days. I actually meant you would be recovering for 3-5 days.
    Lol, if thats what you meant than DOMS has no part in this debate what so ever, it was a misunderstanding on my part. But also re-read what i wrote, I spent a second editing it in reply to your other posts. Im not here for an argument, I just want you to admit that one person is not the world. Over training for a novice wouldn't be over training for Derek poundstone, or IFBB pro's. Even Natty ones if you can find them. This should be a topic in PM's, we have spamming this thread enough, I'm willing to keep on the debate if you are still interested.

Sure PM me.

OP DO NOT TRAIN 3 DAYS A WEEK.

Sure PM me.

OP DO NOT TRAIN 3 DAYS A WEEK.
    Agreed, OP, Do not train your chest three days a week. Flat DB press and Incline Flys monday, and friday, on top of a caloric surplus (roughly 500-800 calories over your maintenance) and having proper protein levels, and you'll gain mass for sure.

jarekd1234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jarekd1234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jarekd1234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jarekd1234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jarekd1234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jarekd1234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jarekd1234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jarekd1234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jarekd1234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jarekd1234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jarekd1234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=131171153

Here's about training frequency. Enjoy.

WW3MW3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WW3MW3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WW3MW3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WW3MW3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WW3MW3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WW3MW3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WW3MW3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WW3MW3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WW3MW3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WW3MW3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WW3MW3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I do it 2 times a week. Go for it, and see how you feel. You will find your perfect frequency.

metalgearsolid will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalgearsolid will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalgearsolid will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalgearsolid will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalgearsolid will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalgearsolid will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalgearsolid will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalgearsolid will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalgearsolid will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalgearsolid will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalgearsolid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    everyday at 3:50