Mirz5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Too much protein?

Hey guys, I just recently started weight training 2 months ago, I'm 19 years old, 6'2, 198 lbs (ectomorph).. I was wondering if I'm getting too much protein.. I've been gaining weight fine (25 lbs in these two months), my strength gains have been increasing week by week, but i'm just wondering if protein I don't need is going to waste.. Here are my macros in general, feel free to critique them

3100-3500 calories
    70-75 fats
    400-450 carbs
    270-285 protein

Let me know what y'all think, as a beginner, any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, needless to say though, I'm bulking for the time being.
    Last edited by Mirz5; 12-10-2012 at 10:03 PM.

KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, you only need 1g of Protein per lb of bodyweight, any more will yield no added benefit. You can have more if you wish though.

I would lower protein down to 200g and increase fats or carbs, which ever you prefer.
    ★★★ I was part of Ultra 2013 Thread Crew ★★★
    No Fap October 2012 COMPLETED!
    Misc Persian Crew
    -->>MMC<<--
    Dorian Yates training = The only way to train!
    M4L Krew Representing!~
    RIP - Az "Zyzz" Sergeyevich :( , The god has fallen, but the legend lives on! <3

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No such thing as an ectomorph.

You are only consuming too much protein if it pushes you over your requirements for other (fat) macronutrients. You can consume as much protein as you want

Also FYI, it's impossible for you to only consume 3100 calories at the macros you posted

mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100)
    That's an ass load of protein. 25Lbs in two months, you need to see a doctor!

ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think it's mathematically impossible for you to have gained 25 lbs in 2 months with the total number of calories that you have indicated
    Eternal Gym Rat, Student Physical Therapist. None of my post content should be taken as medical advice. Ask your doctor/PT.

Best Gym Lifts: 585/390/675 440 FS 265 OHP @203 No longer competing

I lift weights for fun

Registered User campbellronald7's Avatar
    campbellronald7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think it is always good to have enough amount of protein in your body, there are no side effects of the extra amount of protein, you can minimize the intake of proteins.

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    No such thing as an ectomorph.

You are only consuming too much protein if it pushes you over your requirements for other (fat) macronutrients. You can consume as much protein as you want

Also FYI, it's impossible for you to only consume 3100 calories at the macros you posted
    I've been keeping track on MyFitnessPal, although it's usually more on the 3500 side, 3100 is the lowest I'll go on a day. And what do you mean by no such thing as ectomorph? Gaining weight wise, or just physically?

Originally Posted by ChecksandGiggles View Post
    I think it's mathematically impossible for you to have gained 25 lbs in 2 months with the total number of calories that you have indicated
    Why's that? Too low? I definitely did it though.. 173 on October 1st, 197 today. Again it's been more on the 3500 side.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mirz5 View Post
    I've been keeping track on MyFitnessPal, although it's usually more on the 3500 side, 3100 is the lowest I'll go on a day. And what do you mean by no such thing as ectomorph? Gaining weight wise, or just physically?
    ****totypes are garbage science that are pretty much useless. Ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph = bullcrap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****totypes
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    ****totypes are garbage science that are pretty much useless. Ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph = bullcrap.
    Yeah I can pretty much vouch for this, as an "ectomorph" (im as ectomorph as they come, bodywise), I'm supposed to be a hard gainer, but I've found it pretty easy. Breaking stereotypes in this mofo!

But coming back to the protein intake, I'm in the state of mind of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I really have no problem at all getting the protein in, but can it become a health concern at some point?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I really have no problem at all getting the protein in, but can it become a health concern at some point?
    Other issues raised by your comments ITT notwithstanding, eating a lot of protein shouldn't be a problem for someone with otherwise healthy kidney function and who drinks adequate amounts of water every day.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Phrisko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phrisko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phrisko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phrisko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phrisko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phrisko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phrisko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phrisko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phrisko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phrisko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phrisko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just so you realize there is no way more than 8lbs of that weight gain is muscle. Even that is very unlikely. It's more likely that 4lbs of that 25 was muscle and the rest is fat/water. There are a bunch of threads on here that talk about how quickly the body can put on muscle. Unless you don't mind a big long cut after this bulk you might want to dial it down a bit on the weight gain.

Originally Posted by Phrisko View Post
    Just so you realize there is no way more than 8lbs of that weight gain is muscle. Even that is very unlikely. It's more likely that 4lbs of that 25 was muscle and the rest is fat/water. There are a bunch of threads on here that talk about how quickly the body can put on muscle. Unless you don't mind a big long cut after this bulk you might want to dial it down a bit on the weight gain.
    Oh no doubt. I know at least 60% of that 25 is fat, but I was skin and bones going into the bulk, so I had room for that. I plan to do 6 months bulk, 6 months cut, and go from there. I guess I'm just going on plain trial and error, and until I'm not satisfied with my results, I guess I'll keep on it.

mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100) mrtimz is not very well liked. (-100)
    Are you getting diarrhea from all that protein ? Are you taking creatine.
    I'm curious what your eating?

Originally Posted by mrtimz View Post
    Are you getting diarrhea from all that protein ? Are you taking creatine.
    I'm curious what your eating?
    Not even. I get slightly constipated from time to time, and hella gas, but that's normal lol. I take 5g creatine a day. Most of my protein comes from shakes, bars, and dairy. I find it relatively easy to get reach my macros, I constantly have to stop myself from going overboard.

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Other issues raised by your comments ITT notwithstanding, eating a lot of protein shouldn't be a problem for someone with otherwise healthy kidney function and who drinks adequate amounts of water every day.
    Excuse my ignorance, ITT meaning?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Excuse my ignorance, ITT meaning?
    In This Thread.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

I see, your body seems to handle high protein well. I guess the only issue then would be your budget.