Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bench Dips dangerous?

Today I was told bench dips were dangerous. Anyone know something about that (shoulder and bones in a bad position)?
    Thanks.

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    kills my shoulders.
    Sorry that's all I know.

Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bill-Bom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MattyG View Post
    kills my shoulders.
    Sorry that's all I know.
    That's okay. Is it immediate pain, a day later, long-term effects...?

typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my shoulders hurt when i go too deep and the delts are stretched too much. i feel the pain in the front delt, not in the joint.
    when i go down just to the position when the upper arm is parallel to the floor, it's ok.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    They are very harmful to your shoulders compared to the parallel bar dip.

They put your hands back behind you at the bottom of the rep. This is where you put someone's hand to apply an arm lock on them to dislocate the shoulder joint. The shoulder is very weak in this position.

In the parallel bar dip the hands are never behind so the shoulders are in a much safer position. You still have to watch your form and not go too low.

Even big strong guys have joints that are very weak in certain akward positions.
    Last edited by jgreystoke; 08-06-2007 at 07:45 AM.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah they can be dangerous, but so can anything if you're not careful..I love them though..weighted of course..
    One day at a time..

Tallbill is just really nice. (+1000) Tallbill is just really nice. (+1000) Tallbill is just really nice. (+1000) Tallbill is just really nice. (+1000) Tallbill is just really nice. (+1000) Tallbill is just really nice. (+1000) Tallbill is just really nice. (+1000) Tallbill is just really nice. (+1000) Tallbill is just really nice. (+1000) Tallbill is just really nice. (+1000) Tallbill is just really nice. (+1000)
    I grew very tired of adding an asston of weight into my lap and dropped the excersise. Never got uncomfortable though.
    BTDT

fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yea, if you're not careful while doing bench dips, you can 'slip' with your grip, and injure yourself. It can be embarrassing as well to slip off the bench, and fall on your ass. I definitely prefer weighted dips.
    Me Squatting 405X5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tirPD1kKkuQ

This link might save your life.
    http://www.superhumanradio.com/rss/2009/SHR_Show_388.mp3

Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beserk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If you are not flexible enough and they cause hurt dont do em. Otherwise I think they are a very good exercise. No more dangerous than any other movement involving weight!
    http://www.aussiestrength.com/forums/

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)
    chances are, if your body is in an awkard position, its dangerous. that being said, lots of exercises are dangerous. almost all of them. so pick and choose based on if the benefits outweigh the risks. personally i dont feel the benefits of bench dips outweigh the risks, and i've chosen other exercises that result in the same effect.
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bill-Bom View Post
    Today I was told bench dips were dangerous. Anyone know something about that (shoulder and bones in a bad position)?
    Thanks.
    I do them often and they only affect my shoulders if I go down too far. Find the right ROM and you should be fine.

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Charles Poliquin on bench dips:

"And please, don't resort to the El Geeko version where you put your feet on a bench in front of you and your hands behind you. This exercise, along with Smith machine pressing exercises, is one of the major causes of shoulder impingement syndrome in the bodybuilding community."

Source: http://www.musclewithattitude.com/re...c.do?id=459550

Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've never had a problem with bench dips, but....DO NOT do seated wide-grip dips. I went against the advice I was given here and did them. My left shoulder still hasn't fully recovered and it's been months now.
    Trump 2016!

Founder: "No Tattoos" Crew

xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If it is a "dangerous' exercise, does that mean it's dangerous and thus should be avoided or dangerous and thus one must exercise (no pun intended) caution whilst doing the exercise?

I started them this week at home using the ledge of my bed frame and so far I haven't noticed any shoulder soreness or pain during the exercise, but can this lead to future shoulder problems?

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Like Bally suggested, does the benefit outweigh the risk?

I sure don't think so.

The parallel bar dip involves more weight potential, thru' a big range of motion, with less shoulder risk, 'cos your hands are not placed akwardly behind your back.

If you put various armlocks and armbars on people, you'll find that even the biggest, strongest guy's joints are very vulnerable to injury in certain positions.

They're your shoulders, bro.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

winston43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) winston43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) winston43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink bench dips

Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    Like Bally suggested, does the benefit outweigh the risk?

I sure don't think so.

The parallel bar dip involves more weight potential, thru' a big range of motion, with less shoulder risk, 'cos your hands are not placed akwardly behind your back.

If you put various armlocks and armbars on people, you'll find that even the biggest, strongest guy's joints are very vulnerable to injury in certain positions.

They're your shoulders, bro.
    well never got much from them myself . but its funny that we see pictures of arnold doing them . . without added resistance it seems .