Page 90 of 127 FirstFirst ... 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 100 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,700 of 3806
    Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by RyouBakua View Post

when youre not firing off warning shots that is
    Yeah but after you're done setting landmines and digging Camoflauged moats full of human waste with punji sticks, what else is there to do?

Actually the situation with the Poacher/Moonshiner was not my most potentially dangerous run in with a back woods whacko this year.

A few weeks after that I found a sweet deal on some snow fence... Had to drive 2 hours from home to get it...

Guy lived down a po dunk dirt road 9 miles from the nearest small town.

When I got there he had a tubular cage gate that was easy to open the first one and drive the truck in... The second one was locked and he was up in a "Deer Stand" across a field watching me through a scope... A bobcat blocked the way to the forest, where his place was a half mile back.

It wasn't until I was following him down the road with the bobcat that it occurred to me that I hadn't give my wife the exact directions and address of where I was going.

Guy could have pulled a gun on me and man raped me in his back woods compound and no one would have known where to look for me.

At least the guy who fired the warning shots, my buddy's all knew where I was and expected me back in an hour or so or they would have gone looking for me.

I guess you could say I need to work on my own personal safety protocols!

6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Nainoa View Post
    Guy could have pulled a gun on me and man raped me in his back woods compound and no one would have known where to look for me.
    this a problem in your area?

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by HairyScandinavian View Post
    Nah them hogs are stupid, they'd probably move back and forth rather than going further out. I can't argue with your points though and I'd assume it'd get harder to obtain the pigs. Here in SA there's aboot 1.5 mil peeps living in and around town, I'd guess half of them would just flat out starve or worse and I wouldn't be surprised if the other 750k could live off the pig infestation. What you said previously about traps definitely holds true and that's the first thing I'd do, seems like everyone down here have hog traps and some even trap them and fatten them up for a few weeks before killing for a BBQ. I've seen the ones in the pen for a few weeks and they get quite tame pretty fast. Trap a sow or two with about 10 piglets and you're good for a little while, and those piglets will be breeding age I think in around a year. They'll eat anything so that's a huge advantage over other types of livestock. I would probably attempt to extend a very large and secure fence so they could root and feed themselves, but you run the risk of them breaking out if you're not careful and they're also exposed to theft and such.
    Yeah you put hunting pressure on anything smarter than a lizard and the population moves away... That's just the natural balance at work.
    But yeah my goal would be to get hands on a breeding population of wild pigs and tame them down.

In Theory a wild hog/pig is just a domestic pig that's gone feral again and readapted in a generation or less to life in the wild. So you could In theory turn them back into a pig.

Wild BOAR is a different beast altogether, they can't be domesticated... BUT Boar will find a place to occupy in the ecosystem and then the ecosystem keeps them in an almost relative check.
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

Registered User HairyScandinavian's Avatar
    HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah you put hunting pressure on anything smarter than a lizard and the population moves away... That's just the natural balance at work.
    But yeah my goal would be to get hands on a breeding population of wild pigs and tame them down.

In Theory a wild hog/pig is just a domestic pig that's gone feral again and readapted in a generation or less to life in the wild. So you could In theory turn them back into a pig.

Wild BOAR is a different beast altogether, they can't be domesticated... BUT Boar will find a place to occupy in the ecosystem and then the ecosystem keeps them in an almost relative check.
    The hogs down here will generally have up to 20% or so Russian Boar in their blood, but it's pretty rare to find something with more than that. I've seen a couple in my life that I would swear are 100% but that's pretty much impossible and what I saw was probably genetic throwback to their physical traits.

RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Revolution tomorrow!

Revolution takes place in a post-apocalyptic dystopian future.

"We lived in an electric world. We relied on it for everything. And then the power went out. Everything stopped working. We weren't prepared. Fear and confusion led to panic. The lucky ones made it out of the cities. The government collapsed. Militias took over, controlling the food supply and stockpiling weapons. We still don't know why the power went out. But we're hopeful someone will come and light the way."

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've never watched it (refuse to) but everything I have read seems to indicate that Revolution is a giant steaming pile of dog shit...much like most of the rest of the crap on TV.

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    I've never watched it (refuse to) but everything I have read seems to indicate that Revolution is a giant steaming pile of dog shit...much like most of the rest of the crap on TV.
    <--- this is my surprised face

SnapVille is just really nice. (+1000) SnapVille is just really nice. (+1000) SnapVille is just really nice. (+1000) SnapVille is just really nice. (+1000) SnapVille is just really nice. (+1000) SnapVille is just really nice. (+1000) SnapVille is just really nice. (+1000) SnapVille is just really nice. (+1000) SnapVille is just really nice. (+1000) SnapVille is just really nice. (+1000) SnapVille is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'v watched every episode so far but i had to stop mid way through this weeks episode in part because after watching Jericho, and finishing it with in a week lol. I just can't watch Revolution any more. Its so...problem of the week (same problem Terranova had) that the story seems kind of broken up. And some of the characters are annoying. If you haven't seen Jericho its absolutely fantastic! and on Netflix.
    Chelsea FC - GSW - Oakland A's

June 3rd, 2012, I was there

Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Still trying to find Jericho on dvd. Love Revoloution so far......
    The hardest part of a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.

in omnia paratus

if i can sit through walking dead season 2

i can sit through anything

Yeah I tried getting into it... Too implausible on too many levels.

It's basically NBC's attempt at making a LOST... But the thing that makes LOST work is that early on you get invested in characters right at the snap and then they grow.

In Revolutions you get invested in the characters and then it flashes forward and half the cast is gone... Then you get invested in the characters and then they die or get left behind. Then you get invested in the characters as they travel and they get all wishy-washy and you can't figure out who's coming or going.

Then the casting is off they're power hiking a fat guy who some how is keeping up with a bunch of 20 something's and the Villain General Monroe looks like he's 26 years old but he's really supposed to be 50.

It ends up being too much haphazard story telling for me to forgive in the "Suspension of disbelief."

That and you learn nothing really that translates over into real life. Even the "We paid our taxes last spring." Scene is dumb... No agricultural community ever pays tithe in the spring, Spring is the leanest time of the year because the winter stores are running empty and the spring plants haven't produced.

It doesn't make me think "General Monroe is an evil guy for taxing people at a bad time of year."

It makes me think "General Monroe is a dumbass who doesn't understand that it's best to tax people when they have a bounty, they are less inclined to hide their surplus and more inclined to show loyalty to your regime."
    6'4"

It makes me think "General Monroe is a dumbass who doesn't understand that it's best to tax people when they have a bounty, they are less inclined to hide their surplus and more inclined to show loyalty to your regime."
    viva la resistance

The Rule of 10s - Will you be OK in:

10 minutes - computers crash, clocks blinking
    10 hours - freezers begin to thaw
    10 days - store shelves are empty, water runs out
    10 weeks - riots, looting, population migrations
    10 months - organized criminal ransacking
    10 seasons - starvation and ammo worth more than gold
    10 years - new civilization begins to formalize

-- How ready are you?

emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The Rule of 10s - Will you be OK in:

10 minutes - computers crash, clocks blinking
    10 hours - freezers begin to thaw
    10 days - store shelves are empty, water runs out
    10 weeks - riots, looting, population migrations
    10 months - organized criminal ransacking
    10 seasons - starvation and ammo worth more than gold
    10 years - new civilization begins to formalize

-- How ready are you?
    something to base your preps off of forsure
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

globalukk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) globalukk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) globalukk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) globalukk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) globalukk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) globalukk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) globalukk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) globalukk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) globalukk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) globalukk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) globalukk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by sugicalmike View Post
    Word! Fatasses=Epic fail, once the uprising begins!

The only thing I'm really worried about is logistics..... I have all of the supplies my family could ever need at our home right now. Problem is, being outside of two suburbs only ten minutes north of Lansing, MI, it'll be a hard area to control were looters and foragers to arrive. Ideally, I'd like to go to the area my mom's side of the family lives on, roughly twelve acres located in a rural farming and woodland area and near a National Guard helicopter flightline, like I said though, the logistics of getting all the materials there in a safe and efficient manner in the event of an incident would prove quite hard.
    Just shoot the looters on sight, you'll be doing everyone a favour.

i cant watch the new prepper show

watched a group go and board themselves up in a house

then use the front door as a choke point to shoot intruders

(called themselves operators... srs)

my friend and i looked at each other and said...

smoke em out?

yup...

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

smoke em out?

yup...
    1 Molotov away

1 Molotov away
    tempting my friend...

but we could use the supplies

JMath has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JMath has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JMath has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JMath has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JMath has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JMath has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JMath has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JMath has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JMath has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JMath has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JMath has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

smoke em out?

yup...
    Lol. I watched that and heard the operators comment too. Made me lol and think of you misc brahs.

Operators gonna operate
    Everything depends upon execution; having just a vision is no solution.

Performance and performance alone dictates the predator in any food chain.

sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Got hell from the gate guards the other day, they eyed the back seat of my truck and could not stop grilling me about my e&e/ emergency med kits... They were seriously concerned I was privy to some sort of information of impending doom on the Ft. Bliss area... I tried calming them down with my 'it's better to have and not need, than need and not have' speech, but it was just not working for the lads....
    "The gods of the valleys are not the gods of the mountains"
    -U.S. Army Mountain Warfare School motto

smoke em out?

yup...
    Yeah season 2 of that show is much harder to watch than season 1 was... Season 1 pretty much shook out every interesting idea worth thinking about or learning. Now it's just suburban nut jobs trying not to shoot themselves in the foot.
    6'4"

pallet house

Apparently this farm owner was denied a permit to build a horse shelter

pallet house

Apparently this farm owner was denied a permit to build a horse shelter

Gotta figure with the low grade untreated scrap wood that most pallets are made out of that shack will probably last twice as long as it took to build it!
    6'4"

thompsons water seal?

thompsons water seal?
    Pfft... The deck and stairwells on the house I bought were Thompson'd 2 years ago... Already showing enough water effect from the dripping eaves that I'll have to redo them this spring/summer.

Back in 08 I built a really fancy picnic table. I used scrap pine just because I was learning so I could later produce more and sell them, didn't want to learn from my mistakes on expensive cedar.

Then I took the table and I put multiple coats of spar urathane on it. Which is basically boat varnish, within 16 months outside after rain, snow, and sun the varnish was basically worthless.

What's probably a better solution is to get to know the guys at a lumber yard or a saw mill that goes through a decent volume of cedar (Or Redwood, or by some miracle Cypress) All rot resistent/bug resistant woods that don't require you to keep applying deck varnish etc...

There are often scraps and flats... Sections where they cut off the roundness of the tree/log that just doesn't have enough in it to use as a board. They'll usually sell those for firewood and they just sit on a big scrap pile. If it's a back country place they'll usually let you sort through it and take what you want for free or for dirt cheap.

Another option is to look in country newspapers for guys who are tearing down old barns. Back in the day Barns were made with some pretty high quality lumber from old growth trees, a good portion of the wood is weathered and has lived the test of time.

You can help tear it down and cherry pick the best wood for what you want to do. Even if 10% of a good sized barn is still premium yet weathered wood, that's enough wood to build a 2500 square foot house!
    (I know an artist in Iowa who did exactly this!)
    6'4"

finally a flashlight that accepts any size battery

emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    finally a flashlight that accepts any size battery

about time they came out with something like that. sure its led sure it should have about the same run time
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Originally Posted by emergency View Post
    about time they came out with something like that. sure its led sure it should have about the same run time
    yeah

doesnt look that good

but it should open a few doors in the future

yeah

doesnt look that good

but it should open a few doors in the future
    yeah could not use it as a weapon if need be

Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was just about ready to bump this thread. My prepping has come to a standstill, due to an agressive debt reduction strategy that I've started recently. At least, the purchasing part of the prepping. Now I'm focusing on honing what skills I have, learning new skills, and learning how to make do with as little as possible.
    The hardest part of a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.

in omnia paratus