intermittent fasting .ridiculous's Avatar
    .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Exclamation Working out 2 hours versus 1 hour?

will I achieve the same amount of gains from working out 2 hours per session 3 times a week versus 1 hour per session 6 times a week? trying to save the driving/showering time.

thanks

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    No.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by .ridiculous View Post
    will I achieve the same amount of gains from working out 2 hours per session 3 times a week versus 1 hour per session 6 times a week? trying to save the driving/showering time.

thanks

No. Simply moving weight around is not productive. High intensity and lower volume. Give everything you have in that hour, eat well and get ample rest. You do not need to burn yourself out with 2 hour workouts that have diminishing results.

joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    there is not reason to be in there for 2 hours. I usually try to get in and out in 45 min unless its cardio day
    Some call it obsession, I call it dedication

Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you were to try the 2 hour approach, the only way you're going to be able to keep the intensity up is if you do full body workouts. I'm not supporting the 2 hour workout idea, but I suppose 3 workouts per week with each workout containing limited volume of bench press, military press, rows, pullups, squats, and deadlifts would be your best bet. Again, I'm only suggesting this if you do decide to go for the 3 workouts per week which I don't necessarily support. I personally like going 6 days per week.

intermittent fasting .ridiculous's Avatar
    .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .ridiculous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Passion4Pump View Post
    If you were to try the 2 hour approach, the only way you're going to be able to keep the intensity up is if you do full body workouts. I'm not supporting the 2 hour workout idea, but I suppose 3 workouts per week with each workout containing limited volume of bench press, military press, rows, pullups, squats, and deadlifts would be your best bet. Again, I'm only suggesting this if you do decide to go for the 3 workouts per week which I don't necessarily support. I personally like going 6 days per week.
    ah. i'm just trying to save that extra trip time to the gym. would 1.5 be asking too much as well?

Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ah. i'm just trying to save that extra trip time to the gym. would 1.5 be asking too much as well?

Why don't you work it for awhile and see what happens? There is a point of diminished returns. There is an old saying in bodybuilding; You can work hard or you can work long, but you can not work hard and long......

i eat babies for protein. DieHollywoodDie's Avatar
    DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Fifty+ View Post
    Why don't you work it for awhile and see what happens? There is a point of diminished returns. There is an old saying in bodybuilding; You can work hard or you can work long, but you can not work hard and long......
    x2. even with that said, however, i usually am in the gym for 1.5 hours. the funny thing is i only do about 4 exercises max. i just take long rest periods and i lift heavy.
    NEW GOAL(s):
    Regain my strength.
    Put on 5 lbs of muscle.
    Gain better overall fitness (strength, endurance, muscle)

"don't give up, the beginning is always the hardest."

Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

thanks
    1 hour, 3-4x a week.

I've never seen someone in the gym for two hours working with any real intensity. If you're doing something like starting strength or 5x5, you can push in to 50mins 3x a week.
    If they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, maybe they can do something with you.

OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    That logic of workout out 2 hours per session 3 times a week vs 1 hour per session 6 times is weird - its like saying i'll eat 2 days worth of proteins in 1 day and i wont eat any the next day

Just go 1 hour for 4-5 days and you'll be fine - keep adequate rest days too.

The_ScoTTmaN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bad idea. I stay in the gym AT MOST 1 hour 15 minutes. Thats only on back days too. thats usually my longest day. On average Im in the gym 45min. to an hour, 5 days a week

ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    get in the gym, and get the **** back out. you never want to spend alot of time in the gym. don't do alot of sets or alot of reps. the longer you spend in the gym, the less effective the workout is. so limit yourself to about an hour on workout days. you don't have to workout more often, you can do a 3 day split for 1hr15min tops, just space your sets out right and don't do 2hrs worth of exercises, you'll end up getting less results and possibly be overtraining.

i eat babies for protein. DieHollywoodDie's Avatar
    DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ugmung View Post
    get in the gym, and get the **** back out. you never want to spend alot of time in the gym. don't do alot of sets or alot of reps. the longer you spend in the gym, the less effective the workout is. so limit yourself to about an hour on workout days. you don't have to workout more often, you can do a 3 day split for 1hr15min tops, just space your sets out right and don't do 2hrs worth of exercises, you'll end up getting less results and possibly be overtraining.
    coming from mr 144
    NEW GOAL(s):
    Regain my strength.
    Put on 5 lbs of muscle.
    Gain better overall fitness (strength, endurance, muscle)

"don't give up, the beginning is always the hardest."

OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OwnageDevil has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by DieHollywoodDie View Post
    coming from mr 144
    I so expected to see that statement posted by someone real soon

BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Better yet, if you're concerned with the extra trips to the gym, try a proven 3 day a week program and not worry so damn much about making it a total of 6 hours of lifting. There aint no magic in working out 6, 6.25, 4.75, 3.93 hours in a week.

henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100)

thanks
    No, working out for two hours is counterproductive to muscle growth, keep them at an hour or less.

skinnyguy291 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skinnyguy291 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skinnyguy291 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skinnyguy291 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skinnyguy291 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skinnyguy291 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skinnyguy291 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by henmaniac87 View Post
    No, working out for two hours is counterproductive to muscle growth, keep them at an hour or less.
    Lets say you do 3 full body workouts a week

so around 1 hr should be appropriate

would doing some calisthenics / cardio after to cooldown, or later in the day count as part of your overall time? Because that could stack up to 2 hours quite easily

Would that give you too much cortisol or something ?

gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Fifty+ View Post
    No. Simply moving weight around is not productive. High intensity and lower volume. Give everything you have in that hour, eat well and get ample rest. You do not need to burn yourself out with 2 hour workouts that have diminishing results.
    I agree with Fifty and the Best results are within the first 45 minutes or so..
    Don't pray for lighter burdens but for stronger bodies.

BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

thanks
    doubt it. i've kind of trained both ways and have seen others do the same as well. it's hard to stay as intense all the way through a 2 hr session. you might even consider 4 or 5 days per week more around 1:15 to 1:30. that would save some driving and showering. play around with your split.
    barbell1.com - home of The Barbell1 Show - the only 5 day/wk Online Radio on building muscle
    Listened to in 171 Countries, Downloaded 1.3 million X in 2014-15
    Get it free on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for your mobile device!

About me:
    MS in Sports Dietetics
    Registered Dietitian
    BS in ESS
    NSCA Certified Personal Trainer

lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BFJ View Post
    doubt it. i've kind of trained both ways and have seen others do the same as well. it's hard to stay as intense all the way through a 2 hr session. you might even consider 4 or 5 days per week more around 1:15 to 1:30. that would save some driving and showering. play around with your split.
    I spend 1 hr, 15 mins in the gym (I'm counting 30 mins of cardio). if you want to do 2 hours, I would suggest an AM/PM split of two 1 hour sessions per day