Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool Canadian, Fitness/Nutrition

Hey guys, I've read tons on different certificates in either fitness training/ nutrition certificates, and which certificates are better etc

Obviously a lot of these are American, I'm just wondering if anyone knows where or what certificates are worth going for in Canada (Toronto)

My overall goal, is to work for myself, preferably in nutrition/training areas.
    I would love to develop programs for people, either with fat loss/muscle gain/or other health issues. Same goes for the training part.

Any help/direction would be great. I did google but the schools and certificates available are just overwhelming.

Thanks for the help.
    Fitness2Fitness

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    The easiest one to get for Canadians is Can-Fit-Pro. You can do it in a weekend, it isn't overly expensive and is recognized by any gym. The only problem is that you don't learn anything useful and it is basically a piece of paper. CPTN is the exact same thing under a different name, in fact their textbooks and tests are virtually identical (it was started by a disgruntled PT who didn't like Can-Fit-Pro). Some people will tell you to go for the CSEP cert as well but it is completely outdated and again, not very useful. If you just want a cheap easy cert then these are the ones to go for.

I always recommend people go for either the NSCA-CPT, NASM or ACSM if you can - they are recognized in higher regard by any gym, but they are also more expensive (about $600 instead of $300) and harder to get because the exam actually forces you to learn the material. You can also work anywhere with them and are more likely to get hired than someone who applies with just a Can-Fit-Pro/CPTN cert.

Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    The easiest one to get for Canadians is Can-Fit-Pro. You can do it in a weekend, it isn't overly expensive and is recognized by any gym. The only problem is that you don't learn anything useful and it is basically a piece of paper. CPTN is the exact same thing under a different name, in fact their textbooks and tests are virtually identical (it was started by a disgruntled PT who didn't like Can-Fit-Pro). Some people will tell you to go for the CSEP cert as well but it is completely outdated and again, not very useful. If you just want a cheap easy cert then these are the ones to go for.

I always recommend people go for either the NSCA-CPT, NASM or ACSM if you can - they are recognized in higher regard by any gym, but they are also more expensive (about $600 instead of $300) and harder to get because the exam actually forces you to learn the material. You can also work anywhere with them and are more likely to get hired than someone who applies with just a Can-Fit-Pro/CPTN cert.
    Thanks Woofie, im going to rule out Can-Fit, CPTN and CSEP as I actually want to learn something thats useful. In terms of NSCA-CPT, NASM or ACSM, what exactly are the differences if any?

I see the Sticky describing the 3 you mentioned Im going to read as much as possible about the differences.
    Last edited by Ptrulli; 11-07-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Fitness2Fitness

TorontoSol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm from Toronto too, and after doing my research I went with the ISSA. Reasons being:
    • It fit my budget at the time
    • Worked with my schedule/timeline
    • Well recognized both in and out of the country (important to me)
    • Decently respected in the industry

And as I later found out, their customer/student services are great. I love the follow up and that I can reach out to them at any time. (E.G. Post-program I wanted to replace a missing text of mine and it was no fuss; expedited arrived next day.) I'm sure the other brands have good services/people too, but I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Also, I see you already nixed CanFit. Good for you. I REALLY doubt they'd be so popular if GoodLife gyms didn't push them like crazy (because they get a kickback)...

My 2¢. Good luck finding what fits for you.

MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am in the process if completing CFES which is the best I have seen in Canadian not includ9ng ASCM which requires a degree. To be a PT you first must do fitness knowledge, then weight training. all said, it takes about 90 hours of class time do do it

JHops9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JHops9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JHops9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JHops9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JHops9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JHops9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JHops9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JHops9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JHops9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JHops9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JHops9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Depends on a few different things really. I went through CSEP, based on my Kine background.

Originally Posted by MARCMANtheDUDE View Post
    I am in the process if completing CFES which is the best I have seen in Canadian not includ9ng ASCM which requires a degree. To be a PT you first must do fitness knowledge, then weight training. all said, it takes about 90 hours of class time do do it
    Isnt ASCM only recognized in The U.S? Ive looked into CFES, it actually looks pretty decent. Only thing they dont offer some of the other courses like other institutions do, like Nutrition etc. But for the sole purpose of PT it definitely makes sense.

Originally Posted by JHops9 View Post
    Depends on a few different things really. I went through CSEP, based on my Kine background.
    Having a Kine background is necessary? Never mind checked it out a degree is needed in order to even consider this one. I dont have a degree in this field, I do however have a police foundations degree. I wonder if that applies?

Originally Posted by TorontoSol View Post
    I'm from Toronto too, and after doing my research I went with the ISSA. Reasons being:
    • It fit my budget at the time
    • Worked with my schedule/timeline
    • Well recognized both in and out of the country (important to me)
    • Decently respected in the industry

And as I later found out, their customer/student services are great. I love the follow up and that I can reach out to them at any time. (E.G. Post-program I wanted to replace a missing text of mine and it was no fuss; expedited arrived next day.) I'm sure the other brands have good services/people too, but I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Also, I see you already nixed CanFit. Good for you. I REALLY doubt they'd be so popular if GoodLife gyms didn't push them like crazy (because they get a kickback)...

My 2¢. Good luck finding what fits for you.
    Regarding ISSA, did you complete it all online, or was there some type of class hours you had to attend?
    N thanks ill def look into it. I also like how ISSA has a variety of courses to take, from PT, nutrition, therapy etc
    I also like how they bundle some of these courses "Master Trainer" not sure if its worth the money though?
    Also how come these certs are so not as long as a college course for example humber etc?
    Last edited by Ptrulli; 11-08-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Looked at the websites
    Fitness2Fitness

MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ptrulli View Post
    Isnt ASCM only recognized in The U.S? Ive looked into CFES, it actually looks pretty decent. Only thing they dont offer some of the other courses like other institutions do, like Nutrition etc. But for the sole purpose of PT it definitely makes sense.
    I stand corrected. I meant to say CSEP

TorontoSol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ptrulli View Post
    Regarding ISSA, did you complete it all online, or was there some type of class hours you had to attend?
    N thanks ill def look into it. I also like how ISSA has a variety of courses to take, from PT, nutrition, therapy etc
    I also like how they bundle some of these courses "Master Trainer" not sure if its worth the money though?
    Also how come these certs are so not as long as a college course for example humber etc?
    I completed the whole thing online, while scribbling notes by hand all over the accompanying workbook. While you can opt to take the exam early I would suggest doing as I did and completing every unit (and their respective tests) since more knowledge is just going to make you stronger - even if it's just reinforcing something you're already familiar with.
    There's no classes you have to be present for (part of the reason I picked it as my schedule at the time wouldn't allow consistent attendance).
    Regarding the money, the best thing I can say is that I don't regret it (and I'm not a person who has cash just lying around. See: budget). Also, if you take the time to call them and speak to a rep before committing to any program you may be able to get a deal or price break; something not available unless you make the effort to learn more. Obviously I can't promise it, but that was my experience and another way they tipped the scales in their favour.

Having not been to Humber, I couldn't say (actually I'm a Sheridan alum, myself) but wager it has to do with the way the curriculum is broken up to best accentuate each learning style, whether you go solo or en mass in a class room (which naturally has a much more ridged schedule). You will not be spending time building models of the CNS out of pipe cleaners to present though.

4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The Precision Nutrition certification by Dr. John Berardi is a great option as well. Also consider the PICP program offered by Charles Poliquin
    4Dimension Nutrition Rep
    Nutrition Consultant
    Performance Coach

bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 4Dimension View Post
    The Precision Nutrition certification by Dr. John Berardi is a great option as well. Also consider the PICP program offered by Charles Poliquin
    +1 Get Poliquin when he comes to Toronto without a doubt. Been to 5 of his interships.

Originally Posted by bigballin6161 View Post
    +1 Get Poliquin when he comes to Toronto without a doubt. Been to 5 of his interships.
    Seems interesting, and I like the idea of actually going to a internship. I hope I can start the program rather then wait til he comes back, which I believe is in march sometime. Ive also read about the Nutrition program, getting mixed reviews about that but il have to look into it more.

Originally Posted by 4Dimension View Post
    Thanks def liking PICP

Originally Posted by TorontoSol View Post
    I completed the whole thing online, while scribbling notes by hand all over the accompanying workbook. While you can opt to take the exam early I would suggest doing as I did and completing every unit (and their respective tests) since more knowledge is just going to make you stronger - even if it's just reinforcing something you're already familiar with.
    There's no classes you have to be present for (part of the reason I picked it as my schedule at the time wouldn't allow consistent attendance).
    Regarding the money, the best thing I can say is that I don't regret it (and I'm not a person who has cash just lying around. See: budget). Also, if you take the time to call them and speak to a rep before committing to any program you may be able to get a deal or price break; something not available unless you make the effort to learn more. Obviously I can't promise it, but that was my experience and another way they tipped the scales in their favour.

Having not been to Humber, I couldn't say (actually I'm a Sheridan alum, myself) but wager it has to do with the way the curriculum is broken up to best accentuate each learning style, whether you go solo or en mass in a class room (which naturally has a much more ridged schedule). You will not be spending time building models of the CNS out of pipe cleaners to present though.
    Awesome thanks. Ya my choices have been narrowed down quite a bit. Im also looking to take Nutrition as well, did you take this and if so how was it? Worth the money?
    Fitness2Fitness

24Days! ABBA Muscle Beach girlsagymaholic's Avatar
    girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000)
    Going to hop on this thread, see what else is to be said!
    I'm also in Canada looking for an alternative to the CanFitPro course... something that actually give me knowledge to work with not just a piece of paper for passing an easy quiz.

Checking out whats been mentioned so far!
    █ ♥ █ ***Canadian Crew***
    Instagram: _smash_ley_
    ABBA-NABC June 1, 2013
    ABBA-Muscle Beach Oct. 2013 3.5 weeks out!

NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by girlsagymaholic View Post
    Going to hop on this thread, see what else is to be said!
    I'm also in Canada looking for an alternative to the CanFitPro course... something that actually give me knowledge to work with not just a piece of paper for passing an easy quiz.

Checking out whats been mentioned so far!
    Me too!!

24Days! ABBA Muscle Beach girlsagymaholic's Avatar
    girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000)
    I was at the gym tonight and realized all our gym trainers are "NESTA" certified, on their website now as well.... any one have opinions there?
    █ ♥ █ ***Canadian Crew***
    Instagram: _smash_ley_
    ABBA-NABC June 1, 2013
    ABBA-Muscle Beach Oct. 2013 3.5 weeks out!