bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000)

connection between pump and hypertrophy?

hey guys iv always worked out more for strength than mass so the pump was not of huge concern to me

recently i decided to try and gain more mass than strength so i have switched my reps into the higher rep range and have been working for hypertrophy

so im wondering what the connection between the pump and hypertrophy? since i have changed my routine i get HUGE pumps and it feels great also my muscles have been looking a bit fuller on a regular basis but iv only switched my routine in about the last 2 weeks so i can only expect so much

so what is the significance of the pump and hypertrophy? also is there a way to tell besides the pump if you are doing a good job of creating hypertrophy?
    i rep back

Lefticle my b1tch

Tonic Log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132307753

LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Great question, and I wish I knew the answer.

I'm not sure if there is a correlation between pump and hypertrophy, but as long as you're shooting in the 8-12 range with 45sec-2min rest, then you will be lifting for hypertrophy.

Great question though.
    "Hai guys Im reading Plato's Republic, Thrasymachus is an epic troll but he gets counter trolled by Socrates over and over, bitch needs to LEARN." -Gancor

bulking until the end of the year. yeah, it's gonna get nasty.

bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000) bbh90 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by LarryByrd View Post
    Great question, and I wish I knew the answer.

I'm not sure if there is a correlation between pump and hypertrophy, but as long as you're shooting in the 8-12 range with 45sec-2min rest, then you will be lifting for hypertrophy.

Great question though.
    hopefully someone can answer for both of us

iv always lifted for strength so im hoping being able to lift in the heavier weights for hypertrophy it will allow me to gain more mass than average
    i rep back

Lefticle my b1tch

Tonic Log

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    BBH: this gets tossed around on here all the time, but let me clue you in on a few concepts behind it...

1. since the recovery of a muscle is dependent on what the blood carries to the muscle tissue after the workout, the pump begins that process in earnest.....

2. the pressure caused by the swelling and pump in the tissue is one of the first steps towards directing the body to increase the capillary supply to the muscle tissue, an essential part of increasing muscle mass

3. BUT A VERY IMPORTANT CAVEAT!!: and this will be mentioned by subsequent posters on here:

THE PUMP CAN BE DECEPTIVE: in this sense: you can get a ridiculous pump with light weights, much the same as heavy weights....

so: the benefits of a good pump are relative to the TOTAL PACKAGE of both the workout itself and the nutrition that you partake of in the next couple of days.

but make no mistake about it: the pump is a good thing and a natural body response to the stimulus of weight training...

it happens for a reason: enjoy and take advantage of it.....

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bbh90 View Post
    so im wondering what the connection between the pump and hypertrophy?

also is there a way to tell besides the pump if you are doing a good job of creating hypertrophy?
    Think of it in terms of training stimulus.
    What do higher reps require of your body? How will it adapt?

Required: greater endurance.
    Adaptation: More mitochondria to supply energy and more intracellular fluid to maintain balance in the cell once the cell organelles increase.

Required: greater oxygen supply and faster removal of waste products.
    Adaptation: Increase in red blood cells and thickness of veins and arteries.

Required: greater fuel supply
    Adaptation: Increased glycogen storage in muscle cells (and more fluid).
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    BBH: this gets tossed around on here all the time, but let me clue you in on a few concepts behind it...

1. since the recovery of a muscle is dependent on what the blood carries to the muscle tissue after the workout, the pump begins that process in earnest.....

2. the pressure caused by the swelling and pump in the tissue is one of the first steps towards directing the body to increase the capillary supply to the muscle tissue, an essential part of increasing muscle mass

3. BUT A VERY IMPORTANT CAVEAT!!: and this will be mentioned by subsequent posters on here:

THE PUMP CAN BE DECEPTIVE: in this sense: you can get a ridiculous pump with light weights, much the same as heavy weights....

so: the benefits of a good pump are relative to the TOTAL PACKAGE of both the workout itself and the nutrition that you partake of in the next couple of days.

but make no mistake about it: the pump is a good thing and a natural body response to the stimulus of weight training...

it happens for a reason: enjoy and take advantage of it.....
    thank you that is very informative one thing that i no i will not be making the mistake of is using very light weights and only getting a pump with no muscle breakdown

i like going heavy so i basically go as heavy as i can in the 12-6 rep range i switch it up every couple of weeks

Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
    Think of it in terms of training stimulus.
    What do higher reps require of your body? How will it adapt?

Required: greater endurance.
    Adaptation: More mitochondria to supply energy and more intracellular fluid to maintain balance in the cell once the cell organelles increase.

Required: greater oxygen supply and faster removal of waste products.
    Adaptation: Increase in red blood cells and thickness of veins and arteries.

Required: greater fuel supply
    Adaptation: Increased glycogen storage in muscle cells (and more fluid).
    i see what you are saying

so basically by getting a pump your increasing the size of the muscle and its cells when achieving a pump therefor it stretches them out and they need a greater amount of fluid at all times to be full? and that makes it so the pump does indeed increase mass?
    i rep back

Lefticle my b1tch

Tonic Log

rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bbh90 View Post
    thank you that is very informative one thing that i no i will not be making the mistake of is using very light weights and only getting a pump with no muscle breakdown

i like going heavy so i basically go as heavy as i can in the 12-6 rep range i switch it up every couple of weeks

i see what you are saying

so basically by getting a pump your increasing the size of the muscle and its cells when achieving a pump therefor it stretches them out and they need a greater amount of fluid at all times to be full? and that makes it so the pump does indeed increase mass?
    No. Da pump itself DOES NOT cause hypertrophy.

The internal pressure is not high enough to stretch anything.

These are just theories and wishful thinking that have never really panned out.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rhizome View Post
    No. Da pump itself DOES NOT cause hypertrophy.

The internal pressure is not high enough to stretch anything.

These are just theories and wishful thinking that have never really panned out.

I said nothing about stretching anything: the internal pressure is a key marker to the body to increase vascularization of that area, if done repeatedly...

read up on your physiology....

the human body is incredibly adaptive: if it wasn't, we wouldn't grow muscles bigger and to do that, vascularization HAS to increase and there are several things that signal that necessity to the body.....

RHIZOME: and anyone else interested:

read this abstract from the Journal of Physiology:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=2342577

keep in mind when reading this abstract, that electrical stimulation that they used does cause a "pump" of the muscle, because we did this as a project in College in my anatomy lab.....

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, most of the effects of the "pump" are increasing intracellular components and fluid as well as the other structures that support the muscle. Some of the increase is also due to the training effect of the weights on the particular muscle fibers they emphasize.

John Gargani makes a great point that you picked up on...staying away from heavy weights too long will allow the fibers that are stimulated by heavy weights to atrophy.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

CHEEF is on a distinguished road. (+10) CHEEF is on a distinguished road. (+10) CHEEF is on a distinguished road. (+10) CHEEF is on a distinguished road. (+10) CHEEF is on a distinguished road. (+10) CHEEF is on a distinguished road. (+10) CHEEF is on a distinguished road. (+10) CHEEF is on a distinguished road. (+10) CHEEF is on a distinguished road. (+10) CHEEF is on a distinguished road. (+10) CHEEF is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
    Yes, most of the effects of the "pump" are increasing intracellular components and fluid as well as the other structures that support the muscle. Some of the increase is also due to the training effect of the weights on the particular muscle fibers they emphasize.

John Gargani makes a great point that you picked up on...staying away from heavy weights too long will allow the fibers that are stimulated by heavy weights to atrophy.
    well said
    MP37891
    MYPROTEIN CODE USE FOR 10% OFF YOUR FIRST ORDER