Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thicker Arms

k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thicker Arms

What are good arm excersises to get thicker arms? My arms look decent from the side or when flexed but when you look at them from the front, with them down at my side, they look thin. What are good excesises to thicken them up?
    Thanks

Moreps has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Moreps has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hammer curls and plenty of squats
    Discipline is only a by product of Desire.

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Close grip bench presses.

rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bump on the close grip bench press - do them heavy
    Raising the bar over and over again ... literally

you've got to build the walls before you can paint them

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Concentration
    Hammer curls, reverse curls, close grip hammer chins, close grip pullups.

youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    squats wont do **** for your arms, im tired of hearing that. its a full body exercise but by no means will it build big arms. my squat has progressed and legs have grown like nuts from squats but my arms for sure have not improved from some damn squats. stop giving that advice.

ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by youi09
    squats wont do **** for your arms, im tired of hearing that. its a full body exercise but by no means will it build big arms. my squat has progressed and legs have grown like nuts from squats but my arms for sure have not improved from some damn squats. stop giving that advice.
    Hallelujah!

Moreps has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Moreps has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by youi09

You are correct! Squats in itself will not build big arms, but will provide the perfect anabolic environment towards the POTENTIAL for larger arms through other movements and solid nutrition.
    You do your squats and deserve much credit. People who are able to squat yet chose and make excuses not to, do so from fear. I will continue to give this advice since the majority of trainers will benefit.
    Think in terms of: if you didn't squat, your arms would not be as impressive.

ironman_86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironman_86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironman_86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    do more sets if u want to get thicker arms

Bingogym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Moreps
    Hammer curls and plenty of squats
    .......................................SQUATS?

paingame will become famous soon enough. (+50) paingame will become famous soon enough. (+50) paingame will become famous soon enough. (+50) paingame will become famous soon enough. (+50) paingame will become famous soon enough. (+50) paingame will become famous soon enough. (+50) paingame will become famous soon enough. (+50) paingame will become famous soon enough. (+50) paingame will become famous soon enough. (+50) paingame will become famous soon enough. (+50) paingame will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bingogym read what moreps wrote in his last post and that will explain the reason for the squats.

vai876 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vai876 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vai876 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vai876 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vai876 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OK, here's my interpretation of what MOREPS was saying. I don't think he put it in the best way possible, but I understand where he's coming from because it's a training principle I've used for years with great success:
    One of the things that I used to have a problem with was smallish arms, and I believe it was because I was having an all "arm" day in my routine. Then I got to thinking that the arms themselves are relatively small muscle groups that won't generate a lot of testosterone on their own when you train them on their own day. Since then I've been training arms right after quads because of all the testosterone that gets pumped into your system after you train them. The small bi and tri muscles can benefit from the crazy amounts of testosterone that the squats put into your system, and it will help them respond and grow better after you train them.
    OK, that was my take on the statement made by MOREPS. Maybe I'm wrong and that's not what he meant, but if it is then I agree with him.

Originally Posted by vai876
    OK, here's my interpretation of what MOREPS was saying. I don't think he put it in the best way possible, but I understand where he's coming from because it's a training principle I've used for years with great success:
    One of the things that I used to have a problem with was smallish arms, and I believe it was because I was having an all "arm" day in my routine. Then I got to thinking that the arms themselves are relatively small muscle groups that won't generate a lot of testosterone on their own when you train them on their own day. Since then I've been training arms right after quads because of all the testosterone that gets pumped into your system after you train them. The small bi and tri muscles can benefit from the crazy amounts of testosterone that the squats put into your system, and it will help them respond and grow better after you train them.
    OK, that was my take on the statement made by MOREPS. Maybe I'm wrong and that's not what he meant, but if it is then I agree with him.
    Well that's not what I meant exactly, but you give an excellent example as to what squats (and deadlifts) can do.

DaEASTBEAST has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    FIRST OF ALL!!! TAKE THE SQUTS ELSEWEHRE!!!! THATS SOME OF THE MOST REDICULOUS ADVICE IVE EVER HEARD! THATS LIKE SOMEONE ASKING TO BUILD MASSIVE QUADS AND I TELL THEM TO DO FOREARM CURLS!! WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!

Secondly the hammer curls are good for the biceps, but not for that front width apearence, they longate the muscle. I would rather see you focusing on tricep work since its 2/3rds the arm ne ways. Heavy straight bar curls will force size onto your biceps, if it is bicep width you are looking for. Another great one is rope bicep curls, when you hit the contraction on top, do an extra stretch to the side like triceps only with bis. This hits the side of your arm.

like i said before, the key here are tris.

rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdelaney44 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with moreps

all things being equal - the guy that squats will be bigger overall than the guy that doesn't
    Raising the bar over and over again ... literally

you've got to build the walls before you can paint them

Thumbs up

rdelaney44

Nice signature. A good creed to live and train by.

k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50) k0bun will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks Beast...and everyone else. I've been working arms with shoulders. Is this a good or bad idea? I really only have time for a 3 day split. Chest/back...shoulders/arms....legs. I do ab work at home when I can and I can usually sqeeze a session of cardio in their somewhere. That's not my main concern now though. It's my arms. I find I get a really good pump when I train tri's and bi's together. Oh and by the way, I do squat.

Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i agree with the guy that said to do squats, it is really important and a guy that ignores heavy compound lifts wont get far, but, that doesnt really answer his question, its just a generalization.

its like a being a foodie, and everytime some kid asks about creatine they dont answer his question and just say eat more. yeah, that helps, he needs to do it, but just answer the question. saying squats is just gonna confuse him, at least explain that his whole body needs to get bigger, his arms wont get out of proportion to the rest of him and squats and other heavy lifts like that will force his entire body to keep pace with the big muscle groups.
    The Chronicles of Gibblets
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=806401

Gibblets' Summer of Hell: Cutting Phase 2005
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=461571

Seph647 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seph647 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seph647 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seph647 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seph647 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seph647 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seph647 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seph647 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seph647 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seph647 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seph647 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hammer curls, barbell curls, close-grip bench

BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My arms measure 18" and I credit their development to two exercises:

Standing EZ-Bar Curls
    Seated Behind-the-kneck DB Extensions --> I SWEAR by these

Now granted, I did plenty of other exercises, but those are the 2 exercises I will never get rid of.
    RAW ELITE OR DIE

1603 @ 242, raw (4-16-16)

"You can be 175 pounds SHREDDED, but with a T shirt on you just look like a skinny *******" - Mark Ripptoe

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by k0bun
    What are good arm excersises to get thicker arms? My arms look decent from the side or when flexed but when you look at them from the front, with them down at my side, they look thin. What are good excesises to thicken them up?
    Thanks
    Wide grip straight bar preacher curls build the inner INNER bi's like nothing else.

Hammer curls, while lengthening the appearance of the bis like someone said, also build width because they build the brachialis.

The outer head of the tri's contributes to arm width, so that's why people are saying close grip benches. I personally use long pull extensions with a rope (bent over).

Aviationfit has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Aviationfit has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Aviationfit has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Aviationfit has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Aviationfit has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Aviationfit has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Aviationfit has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Aviationfit has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Aviationfit has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Aviationfit has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Aviationfit has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    My biceps seem to get wider but I'll take it anyway I can.
    My tri's on the other hand get big without any isolation just bench and military

cgates8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cgates8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cgates8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cgates8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cgates8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cgates8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cgates8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cgates8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cgates8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cgates8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cgates8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rdelaney44 View Post
    I agree with moreps

all things being equal - the guy that squats will be bigger overall than the guy that doesn't

amen. squatting raises your bodys testerone levels and in turn when you do your other excercises you get like a silverback gorilla. if you dont squat your a poon.

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cgates8 View Post
    amen. squatting raises your bodys testerone levels and in turn when you do your other excercises you get like a silverback gorilla. if you dont squat your a poon.
    Man, I love abstract arguments that ignore most of the factors that make up someones situation.

nolongerauser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    incline curls, hammer curls, close grip bench press, all helped me gain thickness and for definition in the tricep pushdowns. go heavy with good form

Mass Quantities Consumer theGuy045's Avatar
    theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    food, squats, deadlifts, standing low-pulley cable tricep-rope attachment bicep curls, incline db curls with wrists supinated, heavy standing bb curls, weighted pullups/chinups, closegrip pulldowns, reverse pulldowns, weighted tricep dips, rack closegrip bb bench, food
    '.'
    ',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',
    stickies + search button = teaching a man to fish
    ',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',','
    .'.________________

nolongerauser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by theGuy045 View Post
    food, squats, deadlifts, standing low-pulley cable tricep-rope attachment bicep curls, incline db curls with wrists supinated, heavy standing bb curls, weighted pullups/chinups, closegrip pulldowns, reverse pulldowns, weighted tricep dips, rack closegrip bb bench, food
    forgot the food, good point

JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    biceps

heavy BB curls ( bicep peak )
    heavy preacher curls ( bicep peak )
    heavy concentration curls ( bicep width )

triceps

incline overhead tri extensions or decline skull crushers
    weighted dips
    1 arm over head tri ext hit the long head
    cable push downs

shoulders

military press
    incline bench
    rear delt flyes

Mass Quantities Consumer theGuy045's Avatar
    theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JJinSS View Post
    heavy concentration curls ( bicep width )
    errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

EDIT: swap these = (heavy BB curls ( bicep peak )
    Last edited by theGuy045; 12-27-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: switch
    '.'
    ',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',
    stickies + search button = teaching a man to fish
    ',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',','
    .'.________________

JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by theGuy045 View Post
    errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

EDIT: swap these = (heavy BB curls ( bicep peak )
    forreal?? i thought concentrations made em wider
    well it has for me. .