NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Keto & Interim Fasting

I've fallen into the habit of slightly extending my weekend carb-up period to include Sat and most of Sun and then fasting for 24 hours immediately following my Mon morning CKD breakfast (water and green tea only).

I then break the fast on Tues morning with my normal CKD breakfast meal. I've noticed that I get back into keto much faster using this method (even after a "dirty" carb-up including a beer or two on the weekend). My goals are, generally speaking, to stay lean & increase muscle mass. I've been on CKD for several months now and am pleased with my results.

Thoughts?

Peace.

- Savage

Carbs are my friend... vandalgirl59's Avatar
    vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Some people do that. Some don't. It's a matter of preference really. There are arguments for both sides...
    ~Impatience never demanded success~

***Calculate your Calorie/Macro Needs HERE --> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380533 ***

Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by NbleSavage View Post
    I've fallen into the habit of slightly extending my weekend carb-up period to include Sat and most of Sun and then fasting for 24 hours immediately following my Mon morning CKD breakfast (water and green tea only).

I then break the fast on Tues morning with my normal CKD breakfast meal. I've noticed that I get back into keto much faster using this method (even after a "dirty" carb-up including a beer or two on the weekend). My goals are, generally speaking, to stay lean & increase muscle mass. I've been on CKD for several months now and am pleased with my results.

Thoughts?

Peace.

- Savage
    If you want to shorten your carb up period, don't start until Saturday night. I was having the same problem, then I switched to Saturday nights and I had half the time to "cheat"

tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Schwartz86 View Post
    If you want to shorten your carb up period, don't start until Saturday night. I was having the same problem, then I switched to Saturday nights and I had half the time to "cheat"
    i do the same, can go all out carb-crazy and it doent add up to being too much

on the down size you will look and feellike you've just eaten a basketball for a few hours

NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NbleSavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's the thing - I don't really *WANT* to shorten my carb-up period and like to think I am managing / compensating for the slightly extended & slightly dirty carb-up with the weekly 24 hour fast.

I structure my heaviest workouts of the week around Sat and Sun & the carb-up, and I love the rush / energy that I get from doing so. My weekend workouts are great.

The Monday fast feels good mentally - feels like I'm detoxing as well as depleting glycogen accumulated over the weekend. It also helps to reinforce mental discipline for me. It can get tough towards Mon evening, but I've been consistent thus far & have been using this approach for the past six weeks.

I'll stick with it for a while longer.

Thanks for the feedback all!

Peace.

- Savage

Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schwartz86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's the thing - I don't really *WANT* to shorten my carb-up period and like to think I am managing / compensating for the slightly extended & slightly dirty carb-up with the weekly 24 hour fast.

I structure my heaviest workouts of the week around Sat and Sun & the carb-up, and I love the rush / energy that I get from doing so. My weekend workouts are great.

The Monday fast feels good mentally - feels like I'm detoxing as well as depleting glycogen accumulated over the weekend. It also helps to reinforce mental discipline for me. It can get tough towards Mon evening, but I've been consistent thus far & have been using this approach for the past six weeks.

Peace.

- Savage

If that's the case have you considered combining a keto diet with the Warrior Diet? That's what I have been doing. Only one meal a day at night, usually after a workout. Feels great and I have learned to not let food control me in the process. My energy levels haven't suffered at all and my lifts have continued to increase (even while cutting).

vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ditto what Schwartz said about WD. love it! And I too am seeing an increase in strength!

***Calculate your Calorie/Macro Needs HERE --> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380533 ***

Registered User xokandykissesxox's Avatar
    xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Peace.

- Savage
    After a crazy carbup on saturday, i felt horrible sunday so i did a 36 hour fast and it felt great...like these guys said you should look into the WD!
    It is in the darkest of times, when your Light has the potential to shine its brightest

I've been following the WD & Keto thread elsewhere....WD would be *VERY* convenient as I'd no longer have to pack food to take into my office every day.

For those of you on WD & Keto, do you eat "normally" during your carb-up periods or do you still follow the WD philosophy of the one large meal per day but include carbs?

I'm interested...tentative, but interested....

Peace.

- Savage

Not sure about everyone else but I only have one full day of carb ups a week. During that day, I just eat whenever I am hungry. I try to avoid cramming a lot of carbs into my body at once on my carb up. I tend to get sleepy/headache if I shock my system like that. however, in order to prepare for the fast the next day when I start back on keto, I make sure to eat a big meal before bed so I can make it through the next day. I believe other people use a different setup, but thats what works for me!

xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been following the WD & Keto thread elsewhere....WD would be *VERY* convenient as I'd no longer have to pack food to take into my office every day.

For those of you on WD & Keto, do you eat "normally" during your carb-up periods or do you still follow the WD philosophy of the one large meal per day but include carbs?

I'm interested...tentative, but interested....

Peace.

- Savage
    I still follow the WD and just include carbs..yes its really nice not having to worry about bringing food to work in the morning.
    It is in the darkest of times, when your Light has the potential to shine its brightest

Dumb WD question then - do you count calories / macros when you have your big evening meal? Example: on my current diet (CKD) I have each of my five meals proportioned into almost exactly 400 calories with 6 (or less) grams of carbs, 30 grams protein and 30 grams fat.

Do I need to do the math if I opt to try WD while still on keto - eg. shoot to eat at least 2000 calories (sounds like a lot) during my one meal?

- Savage

Dumb WD question then - do you count calories / macros when you have your big evening meal? Example: on my current diet (CKD) I have each of my five meals proportioned into almost exactly 400 calories with 6 (or less) grams of carbs, 30 grams protein and 30 grams fat.

Do I need to do the math if I opt to try WD while still on keto - eg. shoot to eat at least 2000 calories (sounds like a lot) during my one meal?

- Savage
    You always have to keep calories/macros in mind. It becomes pretty easy to estimate your intake though since you eat everything at once. Are you bulking? If so, might be hard to do with WD. I am cutting and can barely eat enough to cover my calorie goal. I couldn't imagine trying to eat enough to bulk. But if you are only shooting for 2000 calories you should be able to get that fine. I think the highest I have gone in a meal is around 2700.

Thanks, Schwartz.

Nope, not bulking right now. I'm right around 14% BF and just looking to stay lean / keep leaning-out and staying strong & defined (love it when the abs pop )

So, I'd stick with my current CKD macros and just get 'em all during my one big meal in the evening. I think I'm with you.

Related question - at present, I have a big ole' mug of coffee with protein powder, coconut oil and heavy cream in the morning (MMMMmmmm.....it's good.....) - I'm assuming that based on WD, even this is verbotten. Put differently, WD does not care that I've fasted for 8 hours while sleeping, I can haz black coffee (maybe some stevia? I like the sweet stuff...) and that's about it aside from my green tea during the day?

Peace.

- Savage

Howdy again

I still follow WD method on my carbups. It actually works great for me because I generally only REALLY want 2 things. a) a MASSIVE bowl of my spaghetti (whole wheat) and b)a whole pint of frozen yogurt haha. I fill it in with cleaner carbs. If I were to eat carbs all day, i'd be hungry every hour...tried it before. Was miserable. I much prefer my WD carbups. It also helps in that I can still keep my cals reasonable since I can't PHYSICALLY eat too many carbs at once...

I count everything everyday. I actually plan out my food each day with an online program so I know exactly how many cals of what I'm getting. With keto, it's far too easy to overdo it since you're eating lower volume. On a WD, if you're eating all at once, you may not realize when you're full until it's too late, so yes...i count

Thanks, VG59. Great advice.

I think my problem is that my willpower is legendary during the work week, however come Friday evening (or Saturday....or even sometimes Sunday... ) I want to lift a pint. And with the pint tends to come some pretzles...or a handful of chips...hence my reference to the dirty carb-up.

Is the value add then behind the WD the fact that by eating only one meal per day that you will almost assuredly end-up in a caloric-deficit (cuz' no way you can eat 2K calories in one sitting)?

Peace.

- Savage

Eh, I debate that lol. I can EASILY put away thousands and thousands of cals in a short amt of time depending what I'm eating lol! I think that is one of the ideas though...that if you're choosing good foods, you should get full and not be ABLE to overdo it...

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Is the value add then behind the WD the fact that by eating only one meal per day that you will almost assuredly end-up in a caloric-deficit (cuz' no way you can eat 2K calories in one sitting)?
    I can eat 5k calories in a sitting.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

Thanks, VG59. Great advice.

I think my problem is that my willpower is legendary during the work week, however come Friday evening (or Saturday....or even sometimes Sunday... ) I want to lift a pint. And with the pint tends to come some pretzles...or a handful of chips...hence my reference to the dirty carb-up.

Peace.

- Savage
    I would pick up the book. Its not only the timing of the meal, its the meal itself and the order in which you eat it. Theres a lot of good information in it.

Sounds like I need to do some reading

Whoa - 5K calories in a sitting.....that's some serious grindage! I suppose though with keto-friendly foods (meats, cheeses, nuts) that it would be easier to consume that many calories versus eating, say, breads.

OK, I'll look into getting a copy of the book before I take the plunge. I'm pretty well convinced that I'd like to give WD a try, but I want to fully understand the benefits (other than a caloric deficit and the convenience of not worrying about packing food for work during the day); and I want to do it right if I'm going to do it.

Peace.

- Saage

tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Atavis View Post
    I can eat 5k calories in a sitting.
    i have been know to get near this number...

but now being on keto for a month, hard to get that many cals in carbs in a sitting, i feel over-full and really tired

you get this? pre-keto i ate carbs everyday and felt normal... but i guess not in this amount...

Originally Posted by tradertrader View Post
    i have been know to get near this number...

but now being on keto for a month, hard to get that many cals in carbs in a sitting, i feel over-full and really tired

you get this? pre-keto i ate carbs everyday and felt normal... but i guess not in this amount...
    I always get tired and overfull after eating my one big meal on keto/WD. But since I eat right before bed, it isn't an issue. I would feel really gross when I woke up too. I reduced my calorie intake a bit more and volume. I reduced volume by getting a lot of my calories/macro from liquid sources such as protein shakes (protein, heavy cream, and PB = amazing!). This helped quite a bit and I don't feel as gross in the morning. However, I noticed I am a bit more hungry throughout the day.

The problem I have noticed is that I tend to feel rather crappy when I am transitioning back into ketosis using WD. This only lasts for about a day or so, but still sucks. I am really lethargic and hungry throughout the day during this time. I am considering eating a normal 3 meals while transitioning then switching back over to WD once I have achieved ketosis. Haven't decided yet. I'll probably give it a couple more weeks and see how my body takes to my diet now.

i have no problems with the keto meals, 2000-2500 cals of protein and fat is fine

feels great actually

only the carbs

but i am skipping the carb-up this week, see how it goes with just straight keto for a couple weeks, want to get to the next level...