greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

How to work upper chest with flat bench?

I only have a flat bench and some dumbbells in my home gym. How do I work the upper chest without an incline bench? Thanks!

lowandslow is on a distinguished road. (+10) lowandslow is on a distinguished road. (+10) lowandslow is on a distinguished road. (+10) lowandslow is on a distinguished road. (+10) lowandslow is on a distinguished road. (+10) lowandslow is on a distinguished road. (+10) lowandslow is on a distinguished road. (+10) lowandslow is on a distinguished road. (+10) lowandslow is on a distinguished road. (+10) lowandslow is on a distinguished road. (+10) lowandslow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Flat bench alone will work your upper chest quite well. If you are real concerned about it you could put something under one end of the bench to get an incline, but make sure whatever you come up with is very stable.

PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by lowandslow View Post
    Flat bench alone will work your upper chest quite well. If you are real concerned about it you could put something under one end of the bench to get an incline, but make sure whatever you come up with is very stable.
    agreed.

if u have 45lb plates wack them under the bench

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Well, people arch (extend) their backs on a flat bench to make it more like a decline bench, so doing the opposite (flexing, like doing a crunch) would do the same for upper chest.

But it'd be pretty hard at higher weights and less stable and probably dangerous or something. Still I like picturing it.

rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Its dangerous even with a spotter, but when lowering the bar, lower it to your neck and this will stimulate the upper fibres to a greater degree.

But IMO you want to get an incline bench, it would save a lot of hassle.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by greenleaf View Post
    I only have a flat bench and some dumbbells in my home gym. How do I work the upper chest without an incline bench? Thanks!
    Use a more narrow grip..

Close grip BPs and Reverse grip BPs also work the upper pecs.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Use a more narrow grip..

X2. Bang on advice.

strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    Well, people arch (extend) their backs on a flat bench to make it more like a decline bench, so doing the opposite (flexing, like doing a crunch) would do the same for upper chest.

But it'd be pretty hard at higher weights and less stable and probably dangerous or something. Still I like picturing it.
    ...i always yell at those people that keep their head off the bench(the one's i know anyway) while they do it...i mean, we do have incline benches right behind the flat benches lol.

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Use a more narrow grip..

also dangerous without a spotter lol.
    --I'm afraid of what I don't believe in--

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rugbyman12 View Post
    Its dangerous even with a spotter, but when lowering the bar, lower it to your neck and this will stimulate the upper fibres to a greater degree.
    x2. Flat bench to neck.
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

Fears Chuck Norris JimmyChitwood's Avatar
    JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don't forget flyes, too. I always felt that dumbbell pullovers stimulated my upper chest, too. I keep a good inward squeeze through the movement as though I'm trying to crush the dumbbell head, and hold it back there till I feel the stretch. There are other moves that will recruit upper chest, too, if you don't have an incline bench. Even DB shoulder presses can bring in upper chest especially if you puff out the chest and bring the DBs up over the front of the head (as opposed to behind the neck). Also, try pushups and weighted pushups with your feet up on your flat bench. Through the move, keep squeezing inward to keep max tension on the chest, as though you're trying to slide your hands together (but don't of course - keep semi-wide hand placement). This is a good way to work the upper chest with a flat bench.
    ~Forgiven~

My Training Log and Record of Adventures:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=441433851