Closed Thread
    AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Do Electronic Muscle Stimulators Build Muscle?

you know those equipments with electrodes that makes muscle to contract.

im not asking because im a lazy a$$, but i have chronic shoulder injury and i cant exercise my chest properly " as u know all chest routines involve shoulder", so if this equipments can stimulate muscle growth, i can use it for my chest without working my shoulders.

anybody tried it? does it really work?

and if not can u recommend some chest exercises that minimally affect the shoulders.

Man against mediocrity. Pureskill123's Avatar
    Pureskill123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pureskill123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pureskill123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pureskill123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pureskill123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pureskill123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pureskill123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pureskill123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pureskill123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pureskill123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pureskill123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AFC_bad View Post
    you know those equipments with electrodes that makes muscle to contract.

im not asking because im a lazy a$$, but i have chronic shoulder injury and i cant exercise my chest properly " as u know all chest routines involve shoulder", so if this equipments can stimulate muscle growth, i can use it for my chest without working my shoulders.

anybody tried it? does it really work?

and if not can u recommend some chest exercises that minimally affect the shoulders.
    This is news to me. I've always thought DB flyes isolate your chest, i.e there's little-no shoulder involvement.

However I'm not an expert, so don't quote me on that. I'm interested to see what others say.
    I wish I hadn't taken that break, 147lbs looks terrible next to my posts. Must get back to 165 and then some!

oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000)
    EMS is certainly not going to be your answer.

You can't rehab an injury with speculation over the internet either. What you need is a consult with an ortho or other physician with a likely followup with Therapy to design an appropriate rehab program for the shoulder.

The shoulder is a very unstable joint dependent on the muscles and ligaments for support. It is usually a breakdown in one of these numerous muscles that leads to a chronic problem. It's rarely the end of the world as long as there is no structural damage and with the right rehab program and time the affected area can be strengthened and ultimately allow you to get back to chest training. But again, something that needs to be handled in person.

Good luck

jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Pureskill123 View Post
    This is news to me. I've always thought DB flyes isolate your chest, i.e there's little-no shoulder involvement.

However I'm not an expert, so don't quote me on that. I'm interested to see what others say.
    Not even close.

And to teh OP, no, it's not going to build muscle.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.18

I HATE lightbulbs.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Don't give up completely on your shoulders...I had rotator cuff surgery and lots of injury/reinjury a long time ago. I don't know what your problem is, but PT can help lots of shoulder problems.

For some things, just doing pushups with your elbows at about 45 degrees can make the difference between pain and no-pain. You may be able to bench press even if you experiment with different grips, elbow positions...I would try ring finger in the knurling and keeping elbows at 45 degrees.

And start with the bar alone and work up every workout. If you can't do just the bar after a week with no pain, then set the pins in a power rack up a couple of inches from your chest and try again...it could take a while to rehab it but it's definitely possible to come back after serious shoulder problems.

And no i don't think the electronic thing is goign to do anything substantial. Some PT clinics use it, but I would plan on getting ripped from it. Maybe it can help muscles rehab when injury is present in the joints...i don't know.

AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10) AFC_bad is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Pureskill123 View Post

Originally Posted by oxbeard View Post
    EMS is certainly not going to be your answer.

You can't rehab an injury with speculation over the internet either. What you need is a consult with an ortho or other physician with a likely followup with Therapy to design an appropriate rehab program for the shoulder.

The shoulder is a very unstable joint dependent on the muscles and ligaments for support. It is usually a breakdown in one of these numerous muscles that leads to a chronic problem. It's rarely the end of the world as long as there is no structural damage and with the right rehab program and time the affected area can be strengthened and ultimately allow you to get back to chest training. But again, something that needs to be handled in person.

Good luck
    Originally Posted by jfindon View Post
    Not even close.

And to teh OP, no, it's not going to build muscle.
    Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    Don't give up completely on your shoulders...I had rotator cuff surgery and lots of injury/reinjury a long time ago. I don't know what your problem is, but PT can help lots of shoulder problems.

For some things, just doing pushups with your elbows at about 45 degrees can make the difference between pain and no-pain. You may be able to bench press even if you experiment with different grips, elbow positions...I would try ring finger in the knurling and keeping elbows at 45 degrees.

And start with the bar alone and work up every workout. If you can't do just the bar after a week with no pain, then set the pins in a power rack up a couple of inches from your chest and try again...it could take a while to rehab it but it's definitely possible to come back after serious shoulder problems.

And no i don't think the electronic thing is goign to do anything substantial. Some PT clinics use it, but I would plan on getting ripped from it. Maybe it can help muscles rehab when injury is present in the joints...i don't know.
    thnx brahs for the advice, i think i'll go visit a physician

Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    yes, the electro machines definitely help to build muscle, but more it is to prevent breakdown of existing muscles for people who cant walk due to injury.

No, it is not a significant amount of muscle that is visible/useful for bodybuilding.

These machines are most ideal for people who have just undergone something like knee surgery. They work well to stimulate a large muscle(group) such as the quads while laid up on the couch to prevent excess breakdown of existing muscle, or to build up these larger muscles to a level where someone could hopefully walk again after being off their feet for a few months or longer.

The use of these machines is more controversial for complex joints such as the shoulder where there are so many different muscles involved in the movement, and no easy way to target specific muscles.

Definitely talk to your physician and see whats up with your specific problem, but dont expect a bodybuilding type workout out of these machines. I loved mine and used it all the time in the weeks after I had double knee surgery, but it certainly didn't build any visible muscle.

Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post
    yes, the electro machines definitely help to build muscle, but more it is to prevent breakdown of existing muscles for people who cant walk due to injury.

No, it is not a significant amount of muscle that is visible/useful for bodybuilding.

These machines are most ideal for people who have just undergone something like knee surgery. They work well to stimulate a large muscle(group) such as the quads while laid up on the couch to prevent excess breakdown of existing muscle, or to build up these larger muscles to a level where someone could hopefully walk again after being off their feet for a few months or longer.

The use of these machines is more controversial for complex joints such as the shoulder where there are so many different muscles involved in the movement, and no easy way to target specific muscles.

Definitely talk to your physician and see whats up with your specific problem, but dont expect a bodybuilding type workout out of these machines. I loved mine and used it all the time in the weeks after I had double knee surgery, but it certainly didn't build any visible muscle.
    thnxx brah

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post
    yes, the electro machines definitely help to build muscle............................. but it certainly didn't build any visible muscle.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couloirman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post

oh come on, I clearly explain it in what you cut out. The machines are ideal for people who are laid up on the couch for long periods of time to either minimize muscle loss during long periods of inactivity, or could build very small amounts of muscle after severe atrophy(to the point of not being able to walk anymore for instance). The machines, however, are worthless for bodybuilding IMHO.