Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

running in the cold

how do you deal? what do you wear to help you keep warm enough? i'd like to start running earlier in my day before going to the gym but it's too cold out. help?
    6'4 240 lbs
    Dominican/Israeli/Palestinian bred
    Wrestling/Muay Thai/BJJ
    Rugby
    B.S. Exercise Science

CT

RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I suck at it, but I have managed to do it in the past - here's a few of the things I did:

Legs - in the real cold, I'd do tights, some fleece-type tights over that, then something like snowboarding pants (anything to trap the heat and block wind).

Feet - not much, but did ski socks and normal socks when it was sub zero.

Body - again, layers, thermal, tee shirt, fleece, jacket that traps heat and blocks wind (I like skiing/snowboarding softshells for that).

Head - pretty easy - skiing type skull cap, fleece usually had a hoody.

Face - Cold kicked the **** out of my asthma/breathing, so I used a neoprene mask over my face and nose. They have some pretty fancy filters/facemasks out there and you can get one with a filter as well, if you have the same troubles I did - http://www.respro.com/products/sport...s/xtreme_mask/

That's probably overkill, but could be functional.

Remember that all that gear is going to completely change the way that you run, so don't bother comparing cold-weather runs to ones where you aren't so encumbered.

The whole point for me was just to get out there and do it so I didn't lose the habit.
    No shoes, no shirt, and I still get service.

backhandz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) backhandz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) backhandz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) backhandz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) backhandz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) backhandz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) backhandz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) backhandz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) backhandz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) backhandz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) backhandz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I just wear underarmour cold gear, like the gay tights and top under sweats and do just fine, also some gloves..The temp. here has been about 16 in the morning when I run...brrrrrrr! So hard to get up and run when it's freezing but it feels that much better when I'm done. Keep it up man
    >>>>EAT,LIFT,SLEEP,REPEAT STEPS 1-3<<<<
    300+

SJS1991 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Main concerns with winter runs:

Tip of your penis gets frighteningly cold. air is hard to breathe, ears burn.

Solution:

Full underarmour + Long sleeve, sweatshirt (with hoodie, tie up the strings and don't worry about looking stupid) and two layers of sweatpants. You'd be smart to get the underarmour hood/mask to keep your mouth warm and reduce the chance of chapped lips-- but mostly it helps with breathing in that cold air.

Do that, and you're all set for a 12 mile run in the winter.

Trackcgy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Trackcgy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Trackcgy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Trackcgy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Trackcgy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Trackcgy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Trackcgy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Trackcgy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Trackcgy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Trackcgy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Trackcgy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I run track and my coach gets us to run morning 3 days a week for extra cardio, and in Canada it can be over -30 where we are. I have compression shorts, sweat pants, long sleeve shirt, running jacket, winter coat, gloves, toque, and sometimes a balaclava. You'll get used to it eventually. If you can stick to a treadmill though

RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Trackcgy View Post
    I run track and my coach gets us to run morning 3 days a week for extra cardio, and in Canada it can be over -30 where we are. I have compression shorts, sweat pants, long sleeve shirt, running jacket, winter coat, gloves, toque, and sometimes a balaclava. You'll get used to it eventually. If you can stick to a treadmill though
    Psychologically, it seems to make me feel tougher and more in a groove if I bundle up and hit the road - may just be me, though.

This year in TX, we haven't really had a winter, so no toughguy running so far.
    No shoes, no shirt, and I still get service.

footballpunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) footballpunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what you wear also determines mental toughness
    http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm145/anthonydipaula/

obiwankanobi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    rubbing vicks in your chest is a great tip and improves your breathing.

JohnSkyline54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnSkyline54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnSkyline54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnSkyline54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Kreigschwein View Post
    how do you deal? what do you wear to help you keep warm enough? i'd like to start running earlier in my day before going to the gym but it's too cold out. help?
    if you run at an intense pace it helps heaps i use to run wearing shorts n singlet it freezing when i get out the house but as soon as i ran n sweat like a pig it was getting hot. If its really cold, a hoodie or jacket with trackies could do

DYAZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DYAZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DYAZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DYAZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DYAZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DYAZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DYAZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DYAZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DYAZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DYAZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DYAZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am in Arizona so, it doesn't usually get that cold. When it is cold, I usually wear layers. First an athletic shirt, then a T-shirt, then a thermal over that. I don't like to run in pants so, I just let my legs freeze.

dslava has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Livejournal Ñëàâû Ñìåëî

"Æèâîé æóðíàë" òðåíåðà è âåäóùåãî òðåíèíãîâ Ñìåëîâñêîãî Ñëàâû Ïðîñòî dslava livejournal com]æèâîé Æóðíàë
    http://dslava.livejournal.com

Tim9292 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just suck it up and move on..i find that the colder it is the better my run is. most of the time i just wear shorts so my legs are free from restriction and i'll wear a half zip dry fit pullover

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    General rule of thumb is to layer up as if it 20* warmer than it actually is.
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

tomtrombla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomtrombla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomtrombla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomtrombla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomtrombla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomtrombla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomtrombla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomtrombla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomtrombla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomtrombla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomtrombla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Kreigschwein View Post
    So far here in Ohio the winter has been very warm...52F tomorrow...crazy hot. Normaly when I run when its cold, I wear running shoes, socks, shorts, and a long tee shirt. No need for a coat, thermals (unless its really cold below 15F or so), I also rarely wear a hat and I also shave my head, so not a lot of hair there.

If you wear a heavy coat and sweat pants, it is going to slow you down and after the first mile or so, you will be too hot and wont be able to run. Also proper air circulation is key for the wind to wick away sweat so your body does not cool down.

This all depends on your local climate...

getpumped87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) getpumped87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) getpumped87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) getpumped87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) getpumped87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) getpumped87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) getpumped87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) getpumped87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) getpumped87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) getpumped87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) getpumped87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    always have to consider that your body is going to warm up as jhawk said. last year I ran a 5k when it was about 30 out and layered up and I was sweating bullets in mile 2. This year if it's just as cold (March 4, as stated above, Ohio had been too warm this summer (YES, I typed summer. it's been so warm I typed in the wrong season! I mean winter)) then I will be rocking under armour cold gear and a t-shirt, leggins, a beanie, and my vibrams. If it's 45+ shorts and cold gear and a t-shirt.
    Last edited by getpumped87; 02-20-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: TYPOS, MUST FIX BEFORE OTHERS SEE

CreativeRick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CreativeRick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CreativeRick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CreativeRick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CreativeRick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CreativeRick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CreativeRick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CreativeRick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CreativeRick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CreativeRick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CreativeRick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I wear an Underarmour suit with shorts over the top... Plus my skully

Twitter/IG: @RichyRG
    Snapchat/kik: SarcasticBoi

*Military Brah*

Murica.

_zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What temperature are we talking? I think a hoodie is sufficient for around 32F.

Any colder, a beanie and maybe some loose fitting pants of some type, or sweat pants.

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by _zman View Post
    What temperature are we talking? I think a hoodie is sufficient for around 32F.
    That was my question.

30 deg and above, I just wear a hoodie or a long-sleeved shirt and sweat pants. 30 to 0 degrees, I might wear my thermals under my hoodie and sweats.

Anything below 0 F and the air is too cold when it hits the lungs. It burns! I head to the indoor track.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

aszx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well while most people consider a low metabolism to be bad i consider it a gift. all the anorexic kids on my track team are freezing while after a few minutes im pretty warm. i wear shorts and a t-shirt every day so on cold days when it gets below 20 i just throw on a long sleeve under armor and do some warm ups in the hallways in our school before our run

daszlosek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daszlosek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daszlosek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daszlosek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daszlosek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daszlosek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daszlosek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daszlosek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daszlosek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I live in Maine and generally have pretty cold winters. I wear jacket, wind-proof (so they say) running gloves, sometimes wool socks too. But my legs never seem to be affected by the cold so shorts all the way. Oh, and body armor shorts and muscle shirt.

XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    make sure you wear a mask/ bandana, I did hill sprints all throughout the winter (very heavy breathing) and the cold air made me feel like i had pneumonia for the entire rest of the day
    Staple Supplements:

Allmax Nutrition Isoflex
    Universal Animal Pak
    Universal Animal Rage
    iForce Hemavol
    Thermolife C-bol
    Orange Oximega Fish oil
    Every time you don't give 100%...
    You make it that much easier for me to beat you... -Anonymous

[300 Spartan Helot] KevinWatson's Avatar
    KevinWatson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KevinWatson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KevinWatson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KevinWatson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KevinWatson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KevinWatson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KevinWatson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KevinWatson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KevinWatson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KevinWatson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KevinWatson has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by backhandz View Post
    I just wear underarmour cold gear, like the gay tights and top under sweats and do just fine, also some gloves..The temp. here has been about 16 in the morning when I run...brrrrrrr! So hard to get up and run when it's freezing but it feels that much better when I'm done. Keep it up man
    I do this but with a skully also.

WireHallMedic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Normally, I run in basketball shorts and a technical tee.

At 50 degrees F, I switch from shorts to sweats.

At 40 degrees F, I put on a zip-up sweatshirt over my tee.

At 35 degrees F, I put on cheap knit gloves (machine washable, and they wick) and a beanie.

At 30 degrees F, I put on one of those ninja-looking ski masks. Otherwise, the cold air burns my lungs.

At 20 degrees F, I put on a pullover sweat shirt under the zip-up, and maybe switch to more serious gloves.

If there's snow, I put on YakTrax.

There's something special about the look of uncomprehending horror you get from drivers as you run in a snowstorm.

_zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _zman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Normally, I run in basketball shorts and a tee.

At 50 degrees F, I deal with it.

At 40 degrees F, I deal with it.

At 35 degrees F, I deal with it.

At 30 degrees F, I deal with it.

At 20 degrees F, I deal with it.

If there's snow, I deal with it.

Damienkunt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damienkunt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damienkunt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damienkunt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damienkunt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damienkunt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damienkunt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damienkunt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damienkunt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damienkunt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damienkunt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    underarmour but i normally avoid it always get a mad cold whe ni run in the rain etc

LemonPartier is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LemonPartier is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LemonPartier is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LemonPartier is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LemonPartier is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LemonPartier is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LemonPartier is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LemonPartier is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LemonPartier is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LemonPartier is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LemonPartier is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    foot warmers / hand warmers are great!

NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    In freezing temperatures I where nothing but my thermajock. We have one in the apartment we all share.

www.thermajock.com
    "The process is the goal"

Current PR's
    Bench: 240
    Squat: 385
    Dead Lift: 390
    Mile:4:26
    5K: 15:18

wiliamcan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If your symptoms are below the neck, chest congestion, intense coughing, vomiting, diarrhea, let your illness run its course before you start running again. Running under those conditions increases dehydration and may cause more serious issues. You also should never run if you have a high fever.
    http://hdcast.eu - Live Streaming Sports