surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Quad Development>>front squat?

Did a quick search but did not find the answers i wanted, Im interested to know what would be a good way to build my quads up.

Ive thin thighs (20.8 inc)

currently i do back squats in my program which is a fullbody 3X a week.

Question: Should i swap back squats to front squats? or should i keep back squating until i reach 1.5X bw??

currently squatting 80 kg 3 sets of 8 reps.

No Pain---No Gain

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3469541

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would keep the back squat and personally just add in some hack squats and leg presses
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It really depends on your preference, but most people will say front squats definitely build their quads more than back squats. Of course back squats will still build your quads. I personally only do back squats, but I also do very deep hack squats and feet together @ the bottom of the panel leg presses (works more quads) and I havent had any problems with leg size.

So in the end it's really up to you. Give front squats a try next leg day, see how you like them. You can always do front squats one week back squats the next, or however you feel. It's all up to you man
    "The best activities for your health are pumping and humping" -Arnold Schwarzenegger

surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfnut will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mindi911 View Post
    I would keep the back squat and personally just add in some hack squats and leg presses
    tried hack squats and did not really like them, they felt to akward because im long limbed

you must spread some reputation around before giving to mindi911 again

Originally Posted by DylanL View Post
    It really depends on your preference, but most people will say front squats definitely build their quads more than back squats. Of course back squats will still build your quads. I personally only do back squats, but I also do very deep hack squats and feet together @ the bottom of the panel leg presses (works more quads) and I havent had any problems with leg size.

So in the end it's really up to you. Give front squats a try next leg day, see how you like them. You can always do front squats one week back squats the next, or however you feel. It's all up to you man

i tried front squats the other day was only doing 50kg, not sure how heavy ill be able to go on them as they made my shoulders sore from the bar (maybe i get used to that). Cool thanks for the reply's.

You dont think i should push to squat more first..then mix it up with fronts and leg presses??
    No Pain---No Gain

DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50) DylanL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by surfnut View Post
    tried hack squats and did not really like them, they felt to akward because im long limbed

you must spread some reputation around before giving to mindi911 again

i tried front squats the other day was only doing 50kg, not sure how heavy ill be able to go on them as they made my shoulders sore from the bar (maybe i get used to that). Cool thanks for the reply's.

You dont think i should push to squat more first..then mix it up with fronts and leg presses??
    About the hacksquats feeling weird just try putting your feet further infront of you, I have real long legs and I put my feet out pretty far.

I didn't really like the way front squats felt on my shoulders either, and when I did them olympic front squat style it hurt my wrists. I have heard that doing them on a smith machine works pretty well, but if you do that you definitely want to keep normal squats and just add in the smith machine from squat.

You are going to get results either way, so in the end it's all about seeing how you feel. Do whatever kills your legs more
    "The best activities for your health are pumping and humping" -Arnold Schwarzenegger

TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000)
    Definately leg presses. They will add huge mass on your thighs, particularly quads.
    beepbeepimaJew

1k+

Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Front squats are definitely harder to execute than back squats so you would really need to concentrate on your form.

I would say if you can press more out with back squats then stick to them, build up your weight and take it from there

however you need to find what works for you if you find that back squats aren't building up your size as you want to then go for front squats the only way you are going to do this though is to give each exercise it's chance to work, you're not going to know if it's working after a week (know what I mean?)

I would start to include leg presses now

if you don't find hack squats comfortable then don't do them simple or listen to Dylan above as he has the long limb issue and knows what he's talking about

yeah I don't seem to the long limb problem
    Last edited by Mindi911; 10-16-2007 at 03:51 AM.

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Originally Posted by DylanL View Post
    About the hacksquats feeling weird just try putting your feet further infront of you, I have real long legs and I put my feet out pretty far.

I didn't really like the way front squats felt on my shoulders either, and when I did them olympic front squat style it hurt my wrists. I have heard that doing them on a smith machine works pretty well, but if you do that you definitely want to keep normal squats and just add in the smith machine from squat.

You are going to get results either way, so in the end it's all about seeing how you feel. Do whatever kills your legs more
    cheers ill have to try hacks again to see how they go

Originally Posted by megaboy123456 View Post
    Definately leg presses. They will add huge mass on your thighs, particularly quads.
    yeah..not sure about leg press they seem wierd due to the lower range of motion compared to squats..think i just need to do them consistently for a while to judge the gains.

Front squats are definitely harder to execute than back squats so you would really need to concentrate on your form.

I would say if you can press more out with back squats then stick to them, build up your weight and take it from there

however you need to find what works for you if you find that back squats aren't building up your size as you want to then go for front squats the only way you are going to do this though is to give each exercise it's chance to work, you're not going to know if it's working after a week (know what I mean?)

I would start to include leg presses now

if you don't find hack squats comfortable then don't do them simple or listen to Dylan above as he has the long limb issue and knows what he's talking about

yeah I don't seem to the long limb problem

I know what you mean about judging an exercise over a longer period then a week

Its just the squats seem to have helped my hamstrings and glutes..but i really want to add mass to those quads!!!

lol

think i might add in leg press/ hack squats when not at gym.

any other thoughts?
    No Pain---No Gain

cheers ill have to try hacks again to see how they go

yeah..not sure about leg press they seem wierd due to the lower range of motion compared to squats..think i just need to do them consistently for a while to judge the gains.

I know what you mean about judging an exercise over a longer period then a week

Its just the squats seem to have helped my hamstrings and glutes..but i really want to add mass to those quads!!!

lol

think i might add in leg press/ hack squats when not at gym.

any other thoughts?
    when doing your cardio you could incorporate cycling - you're in Oz you have good weather so go out doors, cycling up hill will definitely help work your quads.

Try adding some sprints into your cardio as well (think an athlete's legs) you could do the sprint between two lines to a buzzer thingie (bad description I know)

add lunges - yes I know most guys don't do these buy they definitely work those quads.

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

when doing your cardio you could incorporate cycling - you're in Oz you have good weather so go out doors, cycling up hill will definitely help work your quads.

Try adding some sprints into your cardio as well (think an athlete's legs) you could do the sprint between two lines to a buzzer thingie (bad description I know)

add lunges - yes I know most guys don't do these buy they definitely work those quads.
    beep test!

yeah i dont do any cardio lol...i get my cardio from surfing

so sprints, hill runs/ rides and lunges.

i can do lunges with a 30kg bag of cement come to think of it!!

cheers for the ideas.
    No Pain---No Gain

beep test!

yeah i dont do any cardio lol...i get my cardio from surfing

so sprints, hill runs/ rides and lunges.

i can do lunges with a 30kg bag of cement come to think of it!!

cheers for the ideas.
    beep test that's it

lol yeah but surfing builds zip muscle

cement lol whatever works for you

no prob's try running at the beach - softer sand the harder you have to work your legs

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

so im going to stick with back squats and add in leg press or weighted munges for a month or so then re assess my progress
    No Pain---No Gain

TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000)
    so im going to stick with back squats and add in leg press or weighted munges for a month or so then re assess my progress
    Good idea best 3 exercises
    Report back, hopefully you will see progress
    beepbeepimaJew

1k+

wieghted munges lol
    No Pain---No Gain

Sound sexy don't they
    beepbeepimaJew

1k+

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    roffle @ munges

wieghted munges lol
    I wasn't going to say anything but I did LMAO

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

yes it could

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

yes it could
    what do you know they have been banned!
    No Pain---No Gain

what do you know they have been banned!
    yep it has now - same dude so can't wait for his next attempt

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0