Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Chicken Breast - how much should I eat per meal?

I buy Purdue boneless, skinless chicken breasts, with all the fat and connecting tissue pre-trimmed. They come packaged as two halves, a little over 1lbs per package.

I feel like I get really full when I eat a whole half in one meal. If I'm also having veggies and some bread with it, then it really feels like a lot of food. I am only 165 lbs and have always been kind of skinny, but now that I'm lifting consistently, I'd like to (slowly) get in the upper 170's.

Is half of a chicken breast, weighted at .5lbs a normal portion for someone my size or is it too much?

richie83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) richie83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) richie83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) richie83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) richie83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) richie83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) richie83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) richie83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) richie83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) richie83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) richie83 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    depends on ur goals...chicken breast is good protein without the carbs...so great for clean bulking. i'd eat 1-2 per day.
    If the bar ain't bendin', you're only pretendin'

LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by richie83 View Post
    depends on ur goals...chicken breast is good protein without the carbs...so great for clean bulking. i'd eat 1-2 per day.
    That's not really what I asked. Your body has a limited ability to process protein that you eat in one sitting. My question was about portion size per meal.

Seer00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seer00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seer00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seer00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seer00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seer00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seer00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seer00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seer00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seer00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Seer00 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by LeanNate View Post
    That's not really what I asked. Your body has a limited ability to process protein that you eat in one sitting. My question was about portion size per meal.
    Well, that's a fun debate you can easily find on this forum. If you want to limit protein per sitting, then skinless chicken breast has 24 grams protein per 3 oz. Just apply your protein limit per sitting to that.

TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000)
    There is no magical protein limit per sitting.

Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000)

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...a-single-meal/
    My weightloss / body composition guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d4mKi51EUUWQOUKz43QtAHrL8KUtwB9P-idTay597oc/pub

8/26/12-5/4/13 cut in my bodyspace

ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    OMG no. Your body digests food 24/7. If you consume 60 grams of protein at one sitting it will just take your body longer to make use of it then 40 grams.

I'm really hoping you arent serious.

Originally Posted by ven33 View Post
    OMG no. Your body digests food 24/7. If you consume 60 grams of protein at one sitting it will just take your body longer to make use of it then 40 grams.

I'm really hoping you arent serious.
    Bro science never rests. So you can take a 180g protein shake in the morning and forget about proteins until the next morning? That would surely be convenient!

F16falcon will become famous soon enough. (+50) F16falcon will become famous soon enough. (+50) F16falcon will become famous soon enough. (+50) F16falcon will become famous soon enough. (+50) F16falcon will become famous soon enough. (+50) F16falcon will become famous soon enough. (+50) F16falcon will become famous soon enough. (+50) F16falcon will become famous soon enough. (+50) F16falcon will become famous soon enough. (+50) F16falcon will become famous soon enough. (+50) F16falcon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can eat 150g of protein from chicken breast in one meal and it would be utilized just as if you ate 15 meals of 10g of protein.

Originally Posted by F16falcon View Post
    You can eat 150g of protein from chicken breast in one meal and it would be utilized just as if you ate 15 meals of 10g of protein.
    Oh ok. What about about 2lbs of chicken, or better yet, a whole chicken? Didn't realize there was such a quick and easy way to get huge. I'll get right on it.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh ok. What about about 2lbs of chicken, or better yet, a whole chicken? Didn't realize there was such a quick and easy way to get huge. I'll get right on it.
    Nup

2lbs exceeds the limit. 1.675lbs max.............
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you are so dead set in your ways, and believe there is a max limit, then why are you asking? Just eat this supposed max limit of protein that you believe exists and move on.

My troll detector seems to be fuzzy on this guy...
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...

MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Bro science never rests.
    You can say that again.

So you can take a 180g protein shake in the morning and forget about proteins until the next morning? That would surely be convenient!
    Yes. Do you realize how long it'll take to digest 180g of protein? It would take hours upon hours. It'll still be in the process of being digested when you have your next meal several hours later. Now do you realize your folly? There is no such thing as "per meal" or "per sitting" to the body. If there was, then nobody over 120lbs who eats 3 meals a day would be able to get enough protein. And guess what, there are people who eat all their calories within only a few hours (Intermittent Fasting) or even in one huge meal/sitting (Warrior Diet) and they're just fine.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...a-single-meal/
    Last edited by MikeK46; 12-15-2010 at 11:40 AM.

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I find it interesting that people believe the protein limit theory with no understanding of the digestive system. Do they really think that the digestive process suddenly stops and that the food motility shoots up so that it passes directly to the bowels? If this was true, then our feces would look just like the food we ate. But it doesn't because it was processed. Processed food means it was digested. The digestive process doesn't process protein to a limit and then redirect everything into adipose tissue.

/rant

MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BookMonkey View Post
    I find it interesting that people believe the protein limit theory with no understanding of the digestive system.
    People who believe there's a protein limit tend to lack understanding of a lot more than just the digestive system

Originally Posted by MikeK46 View Post
    People who believe there's a protein limit tend to lack understanding of a lot more than just the digestive system
    Originally Posted by BookMonkey View Post
    I find it interesting that people believe the protein limit theory with no understanding of the digestive system. Do they really think that the digestive process suddenly stops and that the food motility shoots up so that it passes directly to the bowels? If this was true, then our feces would look just like the food we ate. But it doesn't because it was processed. Processed food means it was digested. The digestive process doesn't process protein to a limit and then redirect everything into adipose tissue.
    /rant

Your body will only absorb as much food as its enzymes will allow it to break down. The rest gets pushed out of the stomach undigested or only partly digested. If that's a surprise to you, go to your local bookstore and buy yourself a copy of a 7th grade biology textbook.

Drinking a bucket of lard will not send all that fat directly to your love handles and make you that much fatter. It will result in indigestion and likely an organ failure.

I had no idea this thread would attract so many nutrition experts who not only skipped middle school biology but also largely lack common sense.

Your body will only absorb as much food as its enzymes will allow it to break down. The rest gets pushed out of the stomach undigested or only partly digested. If that's a surprise to you, go to your local bookstore and buy yourself a copy of a 7th grade biology textbook.
    Tell that to the 200 million obese people in America. What ever happened to all that food just being "pushed out of their stomach undigested?"

I suggest you do some research on the 30 foot long digestive system and maybe then you'll realize just how efficient it is and that it has more than enough time and digestive enzymes to chemically break down 97% of everything you shove down your throat.

Oh and do some research on prehistoric diets. If you think that during the evolution of our digestive system homosapiens (and their predecessors) were able to eat 6 meals a day then you not only lack scientific knowledge but any common sense as well. One, maybe two massive meals a day (largely composed of animal meat) was the norm and apparently it was digested just fine because hey, you're alive today aren't you.

Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MikeK46 View Post
    You had me Rollin when I read this!

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The OP is actually a pretty good troll. Certainly a cut above the average we get around here.

ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    brb telling Branch Warren he's doing it wrong.
    "Nutrition for powerlifting: If you are serious about it, you will eat f*cking everything and get strong as $hit." - HamburgerTrain
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163165741

PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000)

Drinking a bucket of lard will not send all that fat directly to your love handles and make you that much fatter. It will result in indigestion and likely an organ failure.

I had no idea this thread would attract so many nutrition experts who not only skipped middle school biology but also largely lack common sense.

I was going to respond to his comment, but figured it'd be a lot funnier if others did it for me. And lo, and behold!

lol @ pushed out undigested...

ebbers91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ebbers91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ebbers91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ebbers91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ebbers91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ebbers91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ebbers91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ebbers91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ebbers91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ebbers91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ebbers91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I ate a whole chicken yesterday...just sayin

defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000)
    I ate to many cheeseburgers one day and pooped an entire cheeseburger. It got pushed out bro.

randomhero565 will become famous soon enough. (+50) randomhero565 will become famous soon enough. (+50) randomhero565 will become famous soon enough. (+50) randomhero565 will become famous soon enough. (+50) randomhero565 will become famous soon enough. (+50) randomhero565 will become famous soon enough. (+50) randomhero565 will become famous soon enough. (+50) randomhero565 will become famous soon enough. (+50) randomhero565 will become famous soon enough. (+50) randomhero565 will become famous soon enough. (+50) randomhero565 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i have about 3 meals aday (sometimes a snack on certain days) eggs and oatmeal in the morning, 12 oz. chicken, broc and a sweet potato for lunch and pretty much the same for dinner... works for me so i stick to it... switch it up once and i while something like steak rice and beans or reg baked potato and different veggies idk if im exactly answering your question but yeah

i think of it like if your getting your cals in for the day your good

PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000) PWOGasMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by defury View Post
    I ate to many cheeseburgers one day and pooped an entire cheeseburger. It got pushed out bro.
    strong visual

Glutes... they are back Cumulonimbus's Avatar
    Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Sweet, energy is somehow lost in this process! Makes sense!
    Just a weight lifter

jameskelday has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Just ate a 400g pack of chicken breast with chopped chilli and garlic and 200g of cooked brown rice. Yum. Didn't seem like a lot

nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jameskelday View Post
    Just ate a 400g pack of chicken breast with chopped chilli and garlic and 200g of cooked brown rice. Yum. Didn't seem like a lot
    Great first post. Thanks for taking the time to make an account, so that you could bump this 5 year old thread by telling us what you had for dinner

MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jameskelday View Post
    Who effin cares ?
    "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”

― Mark Twain