Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Deadlifts and other Hammie exercises

Sup guys...thanks for looking!

Deadlifts & Romanian Deadlifts A.K.A. Straight Leg. Should you do both of these in the same workout?

Also, what are some good hamstring exercises?
    Lift Strong

I rep.

Making the unnatural natural everyday!

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    gonna be hard to hit them both unless your low back is pure steel...generally it would be "either/or" on those
    "Humility comes before honor"

SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jroe View Post
    Sup guys...thanks for looking!

Deadlifts & Romanian Deadlifts A.K.A. Straight Leg. Should you do both of these in the same workout?

Also, what are some good hamstring exercises?
    Romanian Deadlifts aren't also known as straight legged deads. They're two different exercises.

I would never do both in the same workout, unless I had a back/hamstring day since deads are mainly for back, and romanian deads are mainly for hams.

Stiff-legged deads are a great hamstring exercise, as well as glute ham raises.
    Home Gym Crew
    AP4
    Pureblood

Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jroe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by danj112 View Post
    Romanian Deadlifts aren't also known as straight legged deads. They're two different exercises.

I would never do both in the same workout, unless I had a back/hamstring day since deads are mainly for back, and romanian deads are mainly for hams.

Stiff-legged deads are a great hamstring exercise, as well as glute ham raises.
    then what the heck are romanian deadlifts
    Lift Strong

I rep.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    in Romanian deads u make a serious conscious effort to keep the low back arched. That means the actual range of motion aint gonna be THAT deep, lol. Maybe the bar goes down to around the knee or slightly lower.

on stiff legged deads people let the back round some. of course there are also different opinions on that. I have heard different definitions for "stiff legged" and "straight legged". I tend to mush them all up together sometimes

on RDL the butt goes back and the bar goes straight down. On SLDL th ebar drifts away from the body a little because the hips dont go back as much
    "Humility comes before honor"

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    gonna be hard to hit them both unless your low back is pure steel...generally it would be "either/or" on those
    John, why wouldn't you do both exercises within a workout. (Not trying to be a smart-ass) Just curious as to your reasons why.

Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    in Romanian deads u make a serious conscious effort to keep the low back arched. That means the actual range of motion aint gonna be THAT deep, lol. Maybe the bar goes down to around the knee or slightly lower.

on stiff legged deads people let the back round some. of course there are also different opinions on that. I have heard different definitions for "stiff legged" and "straight legged". I tend to mush them all up together sometimes

on RDL the butt goes back and the bar goes straight down. On SLDL th ebar drifts away from the body a little because the hips dont go back as much
    I had good form on both. I enjoyed doing them. I was just told the wrong name for the exercise.
    Lift Strong

I rep.

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Jroe View Post
    then what the heck are romanian deadlifts
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...geNo=0#1216505

There is a flat back (RDL - Romanian Deadlift) version and a rounded back version (SDL - Stiff-Legged Deadlift) but are not always aware of subtle differences between the variations. Hip positioning is an very important factor in these three exercises. With RDLs, you move the hips backward and with SSDL's (Semi-Stiff-Legged Deadlifts), the shoulders and bar move forward. You will need to maintain neutral spinal alignment with both of them. The lower back will act as a stabilizer during both movements. With SDL's, the lower back is a prime mover, due to its rounding out. Another difference between RDL's and SSDL's is the where the barbell is located, in relation to your body. With the RDL, the bar is to be keep close to the body and with the SSDL, the barbell will travel away from the body. With the resistance held farther away from your body, your lower back will have a greater stabilizing demand placed upon it. During the SDL, your lower back is placed under a lot of stress and is more suspectible to injury. Once the back starts to round out, the pressure on your lower back increases throughout the range-of-motion. You need to start conservative, with the resistance, and increase loading gradually. With this rounded back position, your back is handling a load that is ten times of what is in your hands.

Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    for hamstrings, also try glute-ham raises, reverse hyperextensions, and deadlifts using a snatch grip

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    lying leg curls > RDLs for Hams, but I'd include both, or at least cycle them

Standing leg curls are another good one.
    Who was this love of yours?

So I did deadlifts and Romanian Deads they felt good and look forward to the growth.
    Lift Strong

I rep.

phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    lying leg curls > RDLs for Hams, but I'd include both, or at least cycle them

Standing leg curls are another good one.
    When I discovered Sumo deads and RDLs, I banished leg curls from my routine.

rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by phat_endo View Post
    When I discovered Sumo deads and RDLs, I banished leg curls from my routine.
    Same. Never looked back either

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do whatever you want.
    It's unlikely that full hammy development will be acheived without using some form of leg curl though.

Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I personally agree with Thick, unless you fall into that genetically elite group of people, it's best to include variety and approach the muscle from different angles.

Same concept for chest really, I couldnt imagine myself focusing a whole workout on just pressing movements, without any sort of flying motion.
    Founder of DPA Fitness & Author of The Weight Training Antidote.
    My Free E-book - The Weight Training Antidote: http://dpafitness.com/the-weight-training-antidote

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Talking

Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    Do whatever you want.
    It's unlikely that full hammy development will be acheived without using some form of leg curl though.
    You turned into one of those vs. threads.

Originally Posted by papi93 View Post
    You turned into one of those vs. threads.