Closed Thread
    Annoying Middle Easterner Jay Rawd's Avatar
    Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000)

Why do Caucasians seem to get more acne

Seriously, I notice that the severe cases of acne are always on Caucasian people and no one else. I rarely see Blacks with acne, I see Asians with a bit, but it's always the White people who get hit by it the hardest. That seems kinda weird. Is it lifestyle? DIET? Not that there's a specific type of Caucasian diet so I sort of rule out that possibility.

Do hormones come into play?

Some of you may also use anecdotes of this one non-Caucasian person with bad acne, but I think most of us can agree that Caucasians get it the worst.
    The middle of the road, is tryin to find me
    I'm standin in the middle of life with my pains behind me

ispy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ispy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ispy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ispy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ispy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ispy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ispy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ispy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ispy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ispy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ispy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    because it's easier to see blemishes on light skin than it is on dark.
    ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
    ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Nonregistered Nonuser bustermac's Avatar
    bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    They don't get more, it's just easier to see.

Same goes for sunburns/tans.

dces000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dces000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dces000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dces000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dces000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dces000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dces000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dces000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dces000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dces000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dces000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ispy View Post
    because it's easier to see blemishes on light skin than it is on dark.
    this.. not one race is more or less susceptible to acne

TardBucket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TardBucket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TardBucket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TardBucket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TardBucket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TardBucket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TardBucket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TardBucket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TardBucket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TardBucket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TardBucket is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Because pink is easier to see against white than other colors.

Same reason black people's sun burns are much more difficult to see.
    I have been practicing Internet for 11 years.

joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    THATSRACIST!.jpg

josh_rt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    acne is just easier to see on lighter skin.

Anaheim Ducks '09. ducksfan2006's Avatar
    ducksfan2006 is not very helpful. (-500) ducksfan2006 is not very helpful. (-500) ducksfan2006 is not very helpful. (-500) ducksfan2006 is not very helpful. (-500) ducksfan2006 is not very helpful. (-500) ducksfan2006 is not very helpful. (-500) ducksfan2006 is not very helpful. (-500) ducksfan2006 is not very helpful. (-500) ducksfan2006 is not very helpful. (-500) ducksfan2006 is not very helpful. (-500) ducksfan2006 is not very helpful. (-500)
    lol! what a random thread.
    5 stars!

Formula65 is just really nice. (+1000) Formula65 is just really nice. (+1000) Formula65 is just really nice. (+1000) Formula65 is just really nice. (+1000) Formula65 is just really nice. (+1000) Formula65 is just really nice. (+1000) Formula65 is just really nice. (+1000) Formula65 is just really nice. (+1000) Formula65 is just really nice. (+1000) Formula65 is just really nice. (+1000) Formula65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dces000 View Post
    this.. not one race is more or less susceptible to acne
    It probably has something to do with black ppls skin itself, something to do with why theyre less affected by sun

C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Formula65 View Post
    It probably has something to do with black ppls skin itself, something to do with why theyre less affected by sun
    That really is part of it... caucasian skin is thinner. Its easier to see blemishes on white skin too of course.

XeNoN89 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XeNoN89 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XeNoN89 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XeNoN89 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XeNoN89 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XeNoN89 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XeNoN89 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XeNoN89 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XeNoN89 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XeNoN89 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XeNoN89 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    genetic thing brah

dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Jay Rawd View Post
    Seriously, I notice that the severe cases of acne are always on Caucasian people and no one else. I rarely see Blacks with acne, I see Asians with a bit, but it's always the White people who get hit by it the hardest. That seems kinda weird. Is it lifestyle? DIET? Not that there's a specific type of Caucasian diet so I sort of rule out that possibility.

Do hormones come into play?

Some of you may also use anecdotes of this one non-Caucasian person with bad acne, but I think most of us can agree that Caucasians get it the worst.
    Actually, go to Korea. Heh. I felt like I saw worse acne there, girls and guys were just good with makeup.

The cause of acne is diet, which effects a range of hormones and inflammatory factors (Insulin, IGF-1, IGFbp, inflammatory cytokines, ZAG, etc). Each of those has it's own contributing effect on the proximal causes of acne.

The Western diet is most obviously directly associated with acne. Nearly all Caucasians (the people with genetic roots in Europe to Iran, to Northern India) have a wheat and industrial grain based diet which causes hyperinsulinemia, consequently elevating IGF-1 and lower IGF binding proteins.

This striking difference is made clear when hunter gatherer populations adopt the Western diet. For example, the Ache Hunter-Gatherers of Peru have a zero incidence rate of acne on their diet of fish, some wild game, and non-domesticated fruits. However, city-dwelling Ache on a non-Paleolithic diet are afflicted with acne.

Another case is the Kitavan horticulturalists of Papua New Guinea. They eat a nearly Paleolithic diet and none of the people suffer from acne or obesity. The only people who do are those who emigrate from the island and move to cities.

Doctors used to note that Inuit and native populations of Northern Alaska and Canada had no dental arch deformities or acne the more isolated they were from Western food supplies. Tribes surviving on the handouts of sugar, flour, and other Western foods rather than a Paleolithic diet (mainly of deer and occasional vegetables and fruit, or fish and seal for the Inuit) were afflicted with acne among other medical problems.

Even white, Australians do not get acne when on a Paleolithic diet. So far, there is one controlled study done on the Paleolithic diet and acne. It was performed in Australia and was found to reverse mild and moderate acne. They did not include people with severe acne in the group, although I imagine it would have benefited them based on my experience. I had acne resistant to even Accutane (it came back) yet the Paleolithic diet keeps me completely clear without even bothering to wash my face. I just get no new acne, ever.

So the best peice of advice I can give to acne sufferers is to pick up the Paleo Diet book from your library for free www.thepaleodiet.com or get the book by the same author on acne, called The Dietary Acne Cure. The author is a PhD in evolutionary and nutritional research and is an enormously published and groundbreaking university researcher. http://www.dietaryacnecure.com/
    Last edited by dixon; 10-09-2009 at 11:52 AM.
    10 years Miscing

Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by C-Squared View Post
    That really is part of it... caucasian skin is thinner. Its easier to see blemishes on white skin too of course.
    Well, the skin pigment theory is not a good argument. This discounts the many East Asians with equally lighter skin who have much less acne. While East Asians do get acne, it seems that the severe cases always happen to Whites. And lets not kid ourselves, it's not like Chinese people are super tanned.

Originally Posted by dixon View Post
    Actually, go to Korea. Heh. I felt like I saw worse acne there, girls and guys were just good with makeup.

The cause of acne is diet, which effects a range of hormones and inflammatory factors (Insulin, IGF-1, IGFbp, inflammatory cytokines, ZAG, etc). Each of those has it's own contributing effect on the proximal causes of acne.

The Western diet is most obviously directly associated with acne. Nearly all Caucasians (the people with genetic roots in Europe to Iran, to Northern India) have a wheat and industrial grain based diet which causes hyperinsulinemia, consequently elevating IGF-1 and lower IGF binding proteins.

This striking difference is made clear when hunter gatherer populations adopt the Western diet. For example, the Ache Hunter-Gatherers of Peru have a zero incidence rate of acne on their diet of fish, some wild game, and non-domesticated fruits. However, city-dwelling Ache on a non-Paleolithic diet are afflicted with acne.

Another case is the Kitavan horticulturalists of Papua New Guinea. They eat a nearly Paleolithic diet and none of the people suffer from acne or obesity. The only people who do are those who emigrate from the island and move to cities.

Doctors used to note that Inuit and native populations of Northern Alaska and Canada had no dental arch deformities or acne the more isolated they were from Western food supplies. Tribes surviving on the handouts of sugar, flour, and other Western foods rather than a Paleolithic diet (mainly of deer and occasional vegetables and fruit, or fish and seal for the Inuit) were afflicted with acne among other medical problems.

Even white, Australians do not get acne when on a Paleolithic diet. So far, there is one controlled study done on the Paleolithic diet and acne. It was performed in Australia and was found to reverse mild and moderate acne. They did not include people with severe acne in the group, although I imagine it would have benefited them based on my experience. I had acne resistant to even Accutane (it came back) yet the Paleolithic diet keeps me completely clear without even bothering to wash my face. I just get no new acne, ever.

So the best peice of advice I can give to acne sufferers is to pick up the Paleo Diet book from your library for free www.thepaleodiet.com or get the book by the same author on acne, called The Dietary Acne Cure. The author is a PhD in evolutionary and nutritional research and is an enormously published and groundbreaking university researcher. http://www.dietaryacnecure.com/
    Sorry but this quackery doesn't account for the fact that people of other races who live in Western nations (like African-Americans) who eat the same way as Caucasians don't get nearly enough acne as their Caucasian counterparts on the same diet.

The traditional Mexican diet is heavy in starches, yet I rarely see Mexicans with acne, ever. Get your propaganda out of here.

BrainChild is a name known to all. (+5000) BrainChild is a name known to all. (+5000) BrainChild is a name known to all. (+5000) BrainChild is a name known to all. (+5000) BrainChild is a name known to all. (+5000) BrainChild is a name known to all. (+5000) BrainChild is a name known to all. (+5000) BrainChild is a name known to all. (+5000) BrainChild is a name known to all. (+5000) BrainChild is a name known to all. (+5000) BrainChild is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by EazyMawk View Post
    I always wondered, in these times we have all these creams and face washed, what did they do back in the day? Did they have acne?
    people started to become obsessed with clear skin and when you mess around with it more it always makes it worse
    My mom thinks i'm cool

GO CANUCKS GO

rep SydCBDNSW 3 times cause i misread post

dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000) dixon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sorry but this quackery doesn't account for the fact that people of other races (like African-Americans) who eat the same way as Caucasians don't get nearly enough acne as their Caucasian counterparts on the same diet.
    Yes it does. All hormonal reactions to foods are based on your body's response to the food, which is genetically determined. A person who doesn't get acne when eating the same diet as the next guy probably means either he doesn't become hyperinsulinemic, or IGF-1 binding proteins do not drop as much in him, for whatever reason.

The traditional Mexican diet is heavy in starches, yet I rarely see Mexicans with acne, ever. Get your propaganda out of here.
    Starches are not technically a problem. The Kitavans eat a diet mainly of starches.

Why is this quackery, when what I've written is supported by recent journal articles in the Archives of Dermatology?
    10 years Miscing

C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, the skin pigment theory is not a good argument. This discounts the many East Asians with equally lighter skin who have much less acne. While East Asians do get acne, it seems that the severe cases always happen to Whites. And lets not kid ourselves, it's not like Chinese people are super tanned.
    I feel like other countries are irrelevant and adds too many variable. In America, we have all of them, all eating the same thing, and the fairer the skin, the worse it seems to be

TheRejuvenated is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheRejuvenated is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheRejuvenated is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheRejuvenated is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheRejuvenated is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheRejuvenated is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheRejuvenated is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheRejuvenated is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheRejuvenated is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheRejuvenated is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheRejuvenated is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Same as why do blacks get sickle cell more than whites? Fail of a question.

Originally Posted by EazyMawk View Post
    I always wondered, in these times we have all these creams and face washed, what did they do back in the day? Did they have acne?
    Acne has skyrocketed since processed foods arrived in the last 100 years.

And if you go to countries that recently quickly industrialized, like Korea, you'll see that most people's grandmothers never suffered from acne (on a diet mainly of vegetables and fish with a small amount of rice) and that all the teens are suffering from it today. Also, most of these people's grandparents never had to have their wisdom teeth removed, have braces, or suffered from dental malformities or malocclusion. Many more young kids in that country today, being raised on Western diets, are requiring orthodontic care.
    10 years Miscing

Zoupa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zoupa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zoupa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zoupa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zoupa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zoupa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zoupa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zoupa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zoupa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zoupa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zoupa is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ummm asians have just as bad acne as whites. I actually see more asians with extremely bad acne than anyone. I was just at the clinic and some asian chick had acne everywhere on her face.

Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000) Rupert IV is just really nice. (+1000)
    Great post. Mind telling us what your daily staple foods are?

I would like to ask if you have ever been to an East Asian country? I just spent the last year in Seoul and I found that the youth have worse acne than the youth in Canada. Koreans are growing up on a 90% processed carbohydrate diet these days.
    10 years Miscing

Originally Posted by Rupert IV View Post
    Great post. Mind telling us what your daily staple foods are?
    I eat a diet where about 65% of my calories come from meats, fish, and eggs. The remaining percentage comes from a lot of vegetables and fruit, and some occasional walnuts. I tend not to eat highly domesticated tropical fruit that has been selected over the centuries to have a high sugar content, like bananas, unless it's right after my work out. I take fish oil every day because it's an important factor in inflammation.
    10 years Miscing

Yes it does. All hormonal reactions to foods are based on your body's response to the food, which is genetically determined. A person who doesn't get acne when eating the same diet as the next guy probably means either he doesn't become hyperinsulinemic, or IGF-1 binding proteins do not drop as much in him, for whatever reason.
    Alright then this is a common problem in Caucasians then.

Starches are not technically a problem. The Kitavans eat a diet mainly of starches.

Why is this quackery, when what I've written is supported by recent journal articles in the Archives of Dermatology?
    Because it goes right along with the low carb fad that any food that is tasty will automatically cause your penis to fall off, your skin to explode and your eyes to be rendered blind.

Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000)
    Plenty of black people get acne. Just sayin

I would like to ask if you have ever been to an East Asian country? I just spent the last year in Seoul and I found that the youth have worse acne than the youth in Canada. Koreans are growing up on a 90% processed carbohydrate diet these days.
    Yeah, Japan. Saw little to none.

I eat a diet of highly processed carbs and the only time my acne flares up is when I don't sleep enough. When I get back on a schedule where sleep is 8-9 hours a night, my acne goes away.

When I was on keto my acne was still aggravated, so I doubt processed carbs do much for it. I actually get less acne now with more carbs (yes even junk).

I eat a diet of highly processed carbs and the only time my acne flares up is when I don't sleep enough. When I get back on a schedule where sleep is 8-9 hours a night, my acne goes away.
    Irrelevent. I think you have to understand the proximal causes of acne before you begin hypothesizing as to what causes your acne. Not sleeping and then getting acne the next day are not related in any way, since the abnormally formed keratinocytes were produced and formed at the basal layer 30 days beforehand. They only become acne once they improperly slough off the surface layer due to overly adherent desmosomes.

When I was on keto my acne was still aggravated, so I doubt processed carbs do much for it. I actually get less acne now with more carbs (yes even junk).
    Go read what the Paleo diet actually is. It's nothing about reducing carbs. As I said, the Kitavans are on a high carb diet.
    10 years Miscing

What city were you in and how long were you there? Older people tend to follow the traditional diet a bit more. Also, Japanese should have low inflammation of the acne they do have, because of the anti-inflammatory effect of DHA, which is high in their diet. Japanese from Tokyo and northward also get a unique vitamin called K2 which most Westerners are completely deficient of, and some people report it helps with their skin. This is found in the natto that they eat. Westerners typically got this from dairy products of grassfed cattle, but the US and Canada have feedlot fed cattle.

I never thought my girlfriend had acne or most girls, til I got really close to them. Koreans and Japanese girls will not even go to the corner store without applying foundation and concealer. You probably noticed that about their high heels.

I had a male Korean roomate and he'd throw this foundation/moisturizer over his face in the morning. But his skin was basically good, he ate a lot of traditional Korean foods.

So maybe the acne rate is different, but based on my observations I would say it is not so different.
    10 years Miscing