jdn1983 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How do I incorporate carbs back into my diet?

I have been on low carb now for almost 9 weeks and have lost 20kg (44lbs).

I want to start bodybuilding i.e build muscle mass but also lose the little bit of gut that I have aswell, but notice both cutting and bulking diets contain lots of carbs and I have heard that after going off the low carb diet you will put the weight back on as quick as you lose it.

I just wanted to know if there was anyway to do either the cutting or bulking diets with low carb or if there was a way of slowly incorporating carbs back in the diet.

Thanks

DaTurky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaTurky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I did the Ketogenic diet for around 8 weeks and switched to a 40/40/20 overnight. This worked fine for me, but others like to add small amounts of carbohydrates per week until they reach the preferred amount. I experienced an increase in water weight; however, it subsided in only a few days. I looked close to how I did on the carb loads. Good luck.

My2Centz

jdn1983 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DaTurky View Post
    I did the Ketogenic diet for around 8 weeks and switched to a 40/40/20 overnight. This worked fine for me, but others like to add small amounts of carbohydrates per week until they reach the preferred amount. I experienced an increase in water weight; however, it subsided in only a few days. I looked close to how I did on the carb loads. Good luck.

My2Centz
    Thanks for that, just out of curiosity how many grams of carbs did you consume while on the ketogenic diet and were you lifting alot during this time?

Msaki75 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Msaki75 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Msaki75 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Msaki75 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Msaki75 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Msaki75 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Msaki75 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Msaki75 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Msaki75 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Msaki75 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Msaki75 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I recommend adding about 30-60 grams of carbs every week or so, I did a low carb diet for a long time with six meals a day and lost enough weight so i started with adding 30 grams of carbs to breakfast and lunch, then worked my way up to 60 in breakfast, lunch and dinner, to adding them into the snacks between meals. You'll probably bloat up alittle bit if you add them too fast but its nothing to worry about

Also could start with carbs in pre/post workout then in other meals
    Firefighter/EMT/Personal Trainer

Instagram: Msaki_ftns
    PSN: Thexleadxfarmer

Rep back 4k+

DaTurky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaTurky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jdn1983 View Post
    Thanks for that, just out of curiosity how many grams of carbs did you consume while on the ketogenic diet and were you lifting alot during this time?
    I consumed very minimal amounts of carbohydrates, around 15-30 depending on the day. I believe there is a trace amount in eggs, and I ate around 9 eggs a day average. The majority of other carbohydrates didn't "count" for my diet since it was fiber from vegetables. So overall, little to none. (This excludes my weekly carbload of course) Lifted 3 times a week.

I liked the added water weight as my muscles seemed fuller instead of looking so flat like I usually experienced with keto. Like I said though, this is just water retention and it will subside. It's not like I added 5 pounds of fat/muscle overnight =P

Msaki75 has some good advice as well, Either or will work fine from my understanding. Don't worry about regaining fat, as long as you don't binge eat and keep your diet in check you will be fine.
    Last edited by DaTurky; 08-09-2010 at 12:16 PM.