JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

bicep curls of all types, cause me shoulder pain

i cannot do Barbell curls or Ez bar curls of any sort for my biceps/tricep. Why u ask? here... forearm.jpg

so i use DB's, but when i do a DB curls or incline DB curl my shoulder hurts after like 5-8 reps. Like im trying to contract my bicep only and i get the good stretch and i can just feel it squeezing, but for a DB curl once i bring my forearm higher than parallel to the ground the front of my shoulder starts to activate and idk why it hurts so bad. It hurts so bad i have to stop dead in the middle of my set. I've tried em all sorts of way, elbows a lil forward, more tucked back, flared out, shoved against my ribs, 1 arm at a time, both at a time. Even incline curls hurt really bad sometimes.

preachers with a DB's feel so worthless.... so i do concentration, but i have trouble "feeling" it in a concentration curl. so i opt out and just do regular DB curls and incline curls. i guess i could try spider curls. But man... what a hassle... to straddle a bench and look like u want it up the butt and the fact that when its crowded you gotta take up a bench to curl...

Registered Sikkunt itwasntme184's Avatar
    itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000)
    parallel is all u should really be able to go without activating front delts like you said

you dont want front delts used so just stop at the top of the bicep contraction, no point of going any higher

elbow should be locked at your side, should never move up
    Every aspiring lad wants to be a bodybuilder, but by George, nobody wants to elevate these burdensome weights.

★★★TBB FB Chat Crew★★★

JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by itwasntme184 View Post
    parallel is all u should really be able to go without activating front delts like you said

you dont want front delts used so just stop at the top of the bicep contraction, no point of going any higher
    but its not the top contraction. i can squeeze my biceps even more and i want to go 100% full ROM and my forearm makes a 45 degree angle between the big chunk of the arm. not a 90 degree angle. Well without weights.... if i stop at 90 degrees, it feels like half contracted...

maybe i have shoulder impindgement. ive had shoulder problems before such as clicking from doing lateral raises. alot of pain and clicking. its getting better now. still clicks. like cartilage is getting rubbed down...

so i do those rotator cuff things where u lie on your side. and take a band and pull my arms behind my head and back to my waist. and i try to keep good posture at all times.

so idk...

Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    See a doc, he could help you the best.

nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What about chin ups? I guess so there too but asking anyway.

Can you deadlift without a sore shoulder? That will build your biceps up.

Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Besides chinning, OP how about rowing movements, do various pulls cause you pain?

In b4 further 'deads for bis'.

Originally Posted by nzmusclez View Post
    What about chin ups? I guess so there too but asking anyway.

Can you deadlift without a sore shoulder? That will build your biceps up.
    i can do chin ups just fine, or any sort of pull up vartiation with weights or just bodyweight alone. No shoulder pain. And i do deadlift, ditto on the sore shoulders. Im pulling 365x3x5, so to some it might not be heavy. but 3 sets of 5... it gets pretty freaking heavy.

Originally Posted by Pakina View Post
    Besides chinning, OP how about rowing movements, do various pulls cause you pain?

In b4 further 'deads for bis'.
    as for rowing movement. i do a seated cable row with the close grip V attachment and i pull em low. And i pull the wide bar up high. Than i do a seated pull down with the same Close grip V bar attachment. Im not gunna lie that one sometimes hurts my shoulder, but only my left and i think because of the shortness. And than i do a wide grip lat pull down. No pain.

And deads for bis... wtf... lol r u guys serious? this is bodybuilding guys... cmon...

Originally Posted by Rasputin4 View Post
    See a doc, he could help you the best.
    i guess so... but i mean its not pain that bothers me 24/7 its just when im curling. and only in the middle/end of the set. so its gotta be a form thing. Or i just have to do some shoulder stretching or more rotator cuff work. I might just stick a baseball bat underneath my armpits and pull my elbows towards me with the other arm. It would be like a lever and pull the ball outta the socket lol. makes sense in my head. probably doesn't in the medical field. hahaha

gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    try the arm blaster http://www.fit-senior.com/acatalog/9l.jpg or doing standing db curls with your back against the wall making sure your elbows are also against the wall.
    basically anything with your elbow supported, that includes preachers but since you dont feel it very well, try the first 2.
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

Originally Posted by gomez26 View Post
    try the arm blaster http://www.fit-senior.com/acatalog/9l.jpg or doing standing db curls with your back against the wall making sure your elbows are also against the wall.
    basically anything with your elbow supported, that includes preachers but since you dont feel it very well, try the first 2.
    hmm i see, the arm blaster looks cools.

I would do preacher, but i can't do em with a barbell or ezcurl bar. recheck the 1st post for the "forearm" link. I've tried and tried again with the DB's but its just not a good feeling. and i really really hate it. I also hate the concentration curls.

so i opted with the regular DB curl and incline DB curl. I have done curls with my back on a support column in the gyms and i sorta let the arms hang, i never felt it in my shoulders than, but what i don't understand is why it hurts when i do incline curls??? maybe im too declined???

gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JJinSS View Post
    I have done curls with my back on a support column in the gyms and i sorta let the arms hang, i never felt it in my shoulders than, but what i don't understand is why it hurts when i do incline curls??? maybe im too declined???
    it hurts whenever your elbows are unsupported because you need to involve the shoulder.

what you have to understand is that the front delt has to contract just to keep your elbow still in the one spot. many people have the misconception that front delt is only brought into play when the elbow raises which is not true.
    *the front delt is needed to keep your elbow still. see condition A in the pic attached.
    *without the front delt active, your elbow would naturally travel backward like in drag curls (condition B) & the load of the weight would always be directly beneath the shoulder joint so that there is no horizontal distance (moment arm) between the line of force of the load & the shoulder joint.
    *to remove the need for the front delt while keeping your elbow still, your elbow must be supported as in condition C.
    ('Me' is moment about the elbow produced by biceps, while 'Ms' is moment about the shoulder produced by delts).
    Attached Images
    Last edited by gomez26; 07-29-2012 at 03:06 AM.
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

ah i see thanks for making it so clear. Repped.

I will try them supported against a wall or something. Or just understand that there might be some shoulder discomfort while i curl. I did try them last night with some 25's before i went to bed and actually i didn't have to bring it up as high as i thought to contract my biceps... i swear... somedays it feels different, like i can squeeze more...

ahh well. thanks !