Asparagoose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine

Hi all,

I was wondering if Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking routine would be appropriate for someone with my experience. My main goal is to bulk up. Here are my current 5 rep maxes for four lifts:

bench: 155 lbs
    squat: 170 lbs
    shoulder press: 105 lbs
    dead lift: 250 lbs

Thanks
    Last edited by Asparagoose; 01-04-2012 at 03:42 PM.

It's Just the Beginning BulkingForever's Avatar
    BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I tried it and hated it mainly due to lack of energy on upperbody days. All my lifts went to **** because i felt so wasted. Everybody's body is different though so maybe you can handle working out multiple larger groups in a workout. SS might be a more appropriate program IMO but try out Lyle's routine if you want to!
    You want to beat me, don't miss a meal, because I won't. Don't quit on a set because I'll always be one set ahead of you. Don't walk out of my gym without leaving your guts spilled on the floor because you can bet your ass, I won't.
    Hardcore brother. COME ON!!!

Follow my log 2/2012-1/2014:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142743611
    I'm gonna show YOU how great I am

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

Asparagoose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BulkingForever View Post
    I tried it and hated it mainly due to lack of energy on upperbody days. All my lifts went to **** because i felt so wasted. Everybody's body is different though so maybe you can handle working out multiple larger groups in a workout. SS might be a more appropriate program IMO but try out Lyle's routine if you want to!
    Thanks for the response. I read that this routine is generally geared towards intermediate lifters, and I don't think I've gotten to that point yet. I'll stick with SS until my lifts stall. The only thing I dislike about SS is the focus on solely strength. While this is probably beneficial for a novice, I sort of want to go for aesthetics rather than pure strength.

It's Just the Beginning BulkingForever's Avatar
    BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Asparagoose View Post
    Thanks for the response. I read that this routine is generally geared towards intermediate lifters, and I don't think I've gotten to that point yet. I'll stick with SS until my lifts stall. The only thing I dislike about SS is the focus on solely strength. While this is probably beneficial for a novice, I sort of want to go for aesthetics rather than pure strength.
    No problem. I have a very experienced year under my belt so let me know if you have any other questions bro. What you read is correct. With strength (in the broadest sense) comes size though. You do not need a strength foundation for aesthetics but such a foundation will certainly help you reach your goal quicker.
    You want to beat me, don't miss a meal, because I won't. Don't quit on a set because I'll always be one set ahead of you. Don't walk out of my gym without leaving your guts spilled on the floor because you can bet your ass, I won't.
    Hardcore brother. COME ON!!!

Follow my log 2/2012-1/2014:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142743611
    I'm gonna show YOU how great I am

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%