Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
    Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by izzygrant View Post
    Lol, you guys. Whether it's because I can't count or I have a fcked metabolism, I am definitely NOT eating below maintenance. I shot for 2200 over the past three days while deloading and the scale says 151 tonight :/ Trying to be zen about it.
    Sit on a yoga ball at work and you'll burn an extra 300 calories a day.

Feels nicer too haha.
    the latest and greatest in training...or whatever.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177744461&page=3

simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lol, you guys. Whether it's because I can't count or I have a fcked metabolism, I am definitely NOT eating below maintenance. I shot for 2200 over the past three days while deloading and the scale says 151 tonight :/ Trying to be zen about it.
    One step closer to a squat booty.
    Total's = Jan. 2012 - 1036 @ 198's
    Jan. 2013 - 1184 @ 220's
    Jul. 2013 - 1251 @ 220's
    Jan. 2014 - 1355 @ 242's

ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000)
    lurked in here cuz you are watching/subd Filmbuffs log. I'm always intrigued by oly lifting and dieting issues. So I see you are struggling with gains. You have propably already checked out the way to adjust macros on training and off days.
    I can also spot that you might need to cut down on cardio too.
    And surprise, you migth want to check out intermittent fasting! Yes, you can bulk with fasting, check out Leangains.com .

nice layouts btw.
    my workout log -> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147657213
    my blog about weight lifting -> http://jsaarelainen.wordpress.com/
    "May the sun illuminate thy path!"

my currents : sq 319 - dl 419 - bp - 231 - ohp 143
    my goals 2014 : sq 341 - dl 440 - bp 242 - ohp 154

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Didn't you just change your routine? You plan to lift 6 days a week and do a max attempt every 2-3? Not sure that's optimal training
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Filmbuff81 View Post
    Sit on a yoga ball at work and you'll burn an extra 300 calories a day.

Feels nicer too haha.
    I am not allowed to do this.... don't ask, I'm changing jobs imminently.

Originally Posted by simp3204 View Post
    One step closer to a squat booty.
    Thanks simp.

Originally Posted by ulsak View Post
    lurked in here cuz you are watching/subd Filmbuffs log. I'm always intrigued by oly lifting and dieting issues. So I see you are struggling with gains. You have propably already checked out the way to adjust macros on training and off days.
    I can also spot that you might need to cut down on cardio too.
    And surprise, you migth want to check out intermittent fasting! Yes, you can bulk with fasting, check out Leangains.com .

nice layouts btw.
    Hi! I'm not so much struggling with gains, except in the mental sense of accepting that you have to add some fat with muscle, which I think is a pretty normal difficulty to have, especially for females. The problem is more I'd like some nice slow gains of the right kind. And I'm a recovering cardio addict - what I do now is nothing in comparison, srs. It just makes me feel really good so I can't give it up completely. Dat dere endorphin hit.

I <3 IF. It's how I've been eating ever since I could choose my own meal schedule because it feels very natural for both satiety and energy management. I used to feel extremely guilty about it due to all the "starvation mode, eat every few hours, stoke the metabolic fire" mainstream broscience, but it was ALWAYS what worked best for me. And now since I discovered Martin Berkhan last year, I do it with no guilt at all, when bulking, cutting and maintaining

Originally Posted by psychodiver9 View Post
    Didn't you just change your routine? You plan to lift 6 days a week and do a max attempt every 2-3? Not sure that's optimal training
    This program is more or less what I've been doing since the start of this log. I just make small adjustments to it as I go along. It's also fairly fluid, which is necessary when you're training 6 days a week and needing to adjust for the inevitable injuries and soreness that go along with that. This is how most Oly lifters train - check out the two below recent posts from the Oly forum ↓↓. It's very different from the PL approach of gradual load and and deload up to extreme max efforts, partially because the powerlifts are so much more taxing than the technique-based work of the Oly lifts. I am pushing the envelope by deadlifting and benching much more than most Oly lifters (my back squats are high bar), but I am doing it because I have been rehabbing chronic issues/not lifting for a bit and I'm so far below my real base strength potential that I have some room to push those lifts up fast and I need the strength that doing so will give me. It has been bench so far rather than press/push press because I have been dealing with the shoulder impaction that is almost mandatory for new Oly lifters, but that will change relatively soon. I'd like to hit a triple-digit bench before it does, but that is vanity speaking.

Originally Posted by jb4476 View Post
    I don't train the front push press anymore because I believe the behind the neck version to be far superior. I currently do the following:

Strict press 3x/week
    BTN PP 2x/week

I won't do both on the same day, either. Pressing movements go before squatting movements (having leg strength in the tank affects both of these lifts, especially the push press obviously. The reverse is untrue. A heavy, draining push press max will not really affect your squat session immediately following). The programming for both lifts is very simple. On any given day, I attempt a rep PR of some kind. I like cycling through rep ranges. The way I will do this is warm up to one max effort top set. All of the warming up is directed toward the top set in which I attempt a rep PR. So on any given day, there is really not a great deal of heavy volume for any lift, I hate doing sets across and emphasize frequency over volume for all forms of squatting and pressing. This is how I program front/back squatting and press/push pressing and I stand by the results.

So here is how progression of the top set works: You write down a set of possible targets over a spread of rep ranges from (say) 2-10. For any given exercise, you warm up to a max effort top set in which you attempt one of the targets.

When you hit any of those targets you write a new set of targets. Here's a real life example from me. I recently hit a new strict overhead press PR of 170x8. I had written down four targets, I wanted either 162.5x10, or 170x8, or 185x5 or 195x3 (these ones are in lbs, obviously. I am not a smaller Ken Patera). Since I hit one of the targets, I wrote down a new set of targets. These are 165x10, 180x7, 190x5 or 200x3. As to which particular target I decide to attempt on a particular day, that is little more than personal preference. If I hit a 7-rep PR then I might try my next target to be a 5-rep PR among the next set of targets, and so on. You get the idea.

I want to emphasize the fact that although the targets follow a "linear progression" the actual program does not. Because especially if you do the same exercises again and again with that much frequency, some days you feel good, other days you feel bad, some days you feel like absolute ****ing ****, and other days you feel really, really good. On any given day, for the exercises I intend to do, I will walk into the gym with the intention of hitting a prescribed target. If it's a good day, that will happen and I have a new PR, but plenty of days feel just awful and that doesn't happen. That's OK. It's a normal part of training. Just do what you can, when you can.
    Originally Posted by jb4476 View Post
    I believe I have successfully made it into what Jon Broz refers to as the "other side" where you successfully hit PRs in a heavily fatigued state. At this point, you know you have successfully adapted to the training.

On Friday I got sick with a cold (and I am still sick) and at first I was frustrated, assuming that a few days of potential quality training would be lost. But I went to the gym anyway and had my most successful three days ever, setting big PRs in four major strength exercises. On Friday I successfully strict overhead pressed 170x8 and ATG back squatted 340x5. On Saturday I made an (easy) 305x1 front squat (not a PR, but definitely an improved baseline number), and then today I made a behind the neck push press PR of 220x7, a front squat PR of 290x6 followed by an (easy) 350x1 back squat for an improved baseline number. I have no idea how I pulled out all those PRs over the last three days while in cold sweat, with swollen lymph glands, a congested nose and a brutally sore throat. But I did.
    In other words, I might be crazy. But so is everyone else who does this The fair criticisms that have been made in here recently are that I need to 1) stop failing lifts and listen to my body instead of pushing for vanity numbers; 2) get my calories sorted; and 3) consider the impact of my chosen forms of cardio on my chronic injuries.
    training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153696161&page=51

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you can stay healthy then I would say squat everyday.

So yes get your injuries sorted.

I also like to look at the glenn pendlay school of thought. If you are snatching an cleaning 5/6 days a week you are basically already squatting everyday just a lower intensity and therefore only need to program true squats 3 days a week.

But that is just my thoughts. I have squatted everyday in the past and it can break you off in a hurry

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you can stay healthy then I would say squat everyday.

So yes get your injuries sorted.

I also like to look at the glenn pendlay school of thought. If you are snatching an cleaning 5/6 days a week you are basically already squatting everyday just a lower intensity and therefore only need to program true squats 3 days a week.

But that is just my thoughts. I have squatted everyday in the past and it can break you off in a hurry
    Yes but
    #1 as far as i know these are all programs for more advanced lifters
    #2 you do a program like that it is assumed you have a coach watching you constantly

novice lifters need to learn to lift first , self taught lifters need to use different methods then if they are training at a proper gym with a coach
    they need to spend more time practicing technique and getting those movements right..

I personally think that anyone should start with starting strength or similar strength program
    once you have reached a decent strength then you can move on to specialize on the oly lifts
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    Yes but
    #1 as far as i know these are all programs for more advanced lifters
    #2 you do a program like that it is assumed you have a coach watching you constantly

novice lifters need to learn to lift first , self taught lifters need to use different methods then if they are training at a proper gym with a coach
    they need to spend more time practicing technique and getting those movements right..

I personally think that anyone should start with starting strength or similar strength program
    once you have reached a decent strength then you can move on to specialize on the oly lifts
    believe me I agree with you. I have been saying squatting everyday right now is a dumb idea.

I was just trying to show Izzy that since she is doing technique/oly lifts everyday that technically speaking she is squatting everyday just with lighter weights.

I bring up glenn pendlay simply for the fact that the majority of his oly lifters advance their squat using the TM/5x5 method of volume, recovery, intensity. So if 3 days(and sometimes only 2 when they cut out front squats) is good enough for a guy like Jon North who is very advanced, then 2-3 days squatting is plenty for izzy.

That way she doesn't run herself into the ground trying to max.

I am just making the point she has lots of injuries so everyday squatting is counter-productive unless she proves she can handle it.

Then there is the whole PED aspect of maxing/squatting everyday that is being overlooked.

BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    believe me I agree with you. I have been saying squatting everyday right now is a dumb idea.

I was just trying to show Izzy that since she is doing technique/oly lifts everyday that technically speaking she is squatting everyday just with lighter weights.

I bring up glenn pendlay simply for the fact that the majority of his oly lifters advance their squat using the TM/5x5 method of volume, recovery, intensity. So if 3 days(and sometimes only 2 when they cut out front squats) is good enough for a guy like Jon North who is very advanced, then 2-3 days squatting is plenty for izzy.

I am just making the point she has lots of injuries so everyday squatting is counter-productive unless she proves she can handle it.

Then there is the whole PED aspect of maxing/squatting everyday that is being overlooked.
    I think she can handle it the issue is more technique related to me , even John Broz has his lifters training and squatting 6x a week but the programming is different and he weeds out the "weaker" lifters
    those who can't handle it usually quit

She's not at the level that she's going to overtrain if she squats everyday but I think a better approach is to work on technique 80% of the times and only max once a week

Hey Izzy i thought you might like this

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mdusa-training

izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Squat Workout From Hell

Jan 19

Snatches felt good today. Focused on getting under the bar rather than trying to get it up so high, and was able to lock it out without dropping and do a 50lb full snatch for the first time. Then I watched the video and determined that my ass is still rising too fast and I am on my toes too much. Overhead squats are an absolute bitch, as are pause squats. Knees too far forward again/still, need to keep the weight on my heels.

Warmup
    foam rolling
    lower body stretches
    dynamic band shoulder stretches
    snatch balances with aluminum bar
    bar x5 hang snatches to warm up
    20, 30 lb snatch balances x5 each

Snatches
    bar x2 x15
    50 x1 x10 PR

Clean + Jerks
    bar x5 hang clean & jerk
    50 x5 clean & jerk

ATG Overhead Squats
    45 x5 x3sets
    50 x3 x2sets

High Bar ATG Pause Squats
    55 x5
    65 x5
    75 x5 x3

Barbell Hip Thrusts
    100 x10 x3sets, 1 sec pauses at lockout

Lower Body Rehab
    clamshells 12 x3
    lying abduction 12 x3
    fire hydrants 12 x3
    quadruped hip extension 12 x3

Shoulder Rehab
    band pull aparts
    btn band pull aparts
    band external rotation
    face pulls

Forearm Handstands
    because i felt like it?

Mobility
    glute/hammy/piri/quad/calf stretches and foam rolling
    rolling out lats, upper back, chest and shoulder

Supps
    AM: b complex, inflaheal, multi, milk thistle, glucosamine
    PWO: bcaa's, c4, creatine
    PM: fish oil, vit D, CLA, antiox, inflaheal

I think she can handle it the issue is more technique related to me , even John Broz has his lifters training and squatting 6x a week but the programming is different and he weeds out the "weaker" lifters
    those who can't handle it usually quit

She's not at the level that she's going to overtrain if she squats everyday but I think a better approach is to work on technique 80% of the times and only max once a week

Cleaning/snatching = squatting is actually very true. I think I'm off the squat every day train for the foreseeable future. And off the maxing frequently train too - those pause squats demonstrated I still have a lot of work to do on technique.

Hey Izzy i thought you might like this

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mdusa-training
    It's down right now but it looks like a live feed of their training? That is cool!

Overhead Work Day

Jan 20

So multiple sets of OH squats fuk with your lower back the next day, who knew I'm choosing to blame that for the snatch falling apart again. Shoulder felt really good today for once, so I went for fine-tuning the jerk and some push presses instead of bench.

Warmup
    foam rolling
    lower body stretches
    snatch balances with aluminum bar
    bar x5 hang snatches to warm up

Snatches
    bar x20

Cleans
    bar x5 hang clean & jerk
    55 x2
    65 x2 x5
    75 x1 x5

Rack Jerks
    bar x5
    55 x2 x3
    65 x2 x3
    70 x1 x2 *PR

Snatch Grip BTN Push Press
    45 x2 x10

Abs

Shoulder Rehab
    band pull aparts
    btn band pull aparts
    band external rotation

Cardio & Mobility
    3 mile run

Supps

liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    nice snatch(es), Jerks and cleans.
    I'd be about to die after all that! Hats off for the 3 mile run..One day, it'll be my turn.
    My 5/3/1 progress can be found here.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142870321&p

Uncut LOG...check it out here!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152706323

{{**ORIGINAL DSC**}}

I lift one rep at a time.

sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    plz stay safe izzy
    A hit was sent, from the President, to raid your residence /
    Because you had secret evidence, and documents /
    On how they raped the continents, and it's the prominent /
    Dominant Islamic, Asiatic Black Hebrew

- GZA "4th Chamber"

impressive you could run after all that.

your butt definitely rises too quick.

it throws your shoulders way out in front of the bar and your back angle becomes massively horizontal.

try this, and it's extreme but it helps to get you more vertical and also get the bar going up and back instead of doing a semi-circle.

set up for your snatch with the edge of your shoes hidden by the bar. You will feel like you are too far away from the bar but trust me try it.

Then set-up with your weight on your heels to the point of feeling like you are gonna fall backwards if you let go of the bar.

From here just explode straight up like a frog.

This is VERY basic and a bit weird, but it should allow you to feel the movement of knees, hips, knees that Pendlay always talks about.

also try out his snatch and clean progression videos. They helped me immensely.

edit: here is the progression videos with cues. Best video that has helped me.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/2011/10/...glenn-pendlay/

Originally Posted by liftingson View Post
    nice snatch(es), Jerks and cleans.
    I'd be about to die after all that! Hats off for the 3 mile run..One day, it'll be my turn.
    Thanks I used to be a distance runner so 3 miles feels like nothing... but I still remember when I first started and I couldn't even run a block. You'll get there, if it's one of your goals.

Originally Posted by sword_ View Post
    plz stay safe izzy
    Lol ty sword, will do my best.

impressive you could run after all that.

your butt definitely rises too quick.

it throws your shoulders way out in front of the bar and your back angle becomes massively horizontal.

try this, and it's extreme but it helps to get you more vertical and also get the bar going up and back instead of doing a semi-circle.

set up for your snatch with the edge of your shoes hidden by the bar. You will feel like you are too far away from the bar but trust me try it.

Then set-up with your weight on your heels to the point of feeling like you are gonna fall backwards if you let go of the bar.

From here just explode straight up like a frog.

This is VERY basic and a bit weird, but it should allow you to feel the movement of knees, hips, knees that Pendlay always talks about.

also try out his snatch and clean progression videos. They helped me immensely.

edit: here is the progression videos with cues. Best video that has helped me.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/2011/10/...glenn-pendlay/
    Frog hey? I will try that out... and ah, thanks. I watched Pendlay's clean videos and they helped me a lot, I don't know why I didn't think to look for snatch ones!

Hopefully this doesn't result in me falling on my ass like I did last time I tried to keep my weight back :/ but if it does maybe I'll be lucky enough to get it on video this time...

FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't know **** about olympic lifts so I'll just keep my mouth shut

The one thing I will chime in on re: the above post is that when I'm in a good deadlift setup at the bottom position, I do feel like it's one that I can barely hold without falling over. I would imagine that it would be pretty similar to start the clean/snatch.
    New log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144101461
    Best meet lifts: 424/303/551 (93kg)
    Best gym lifts: 420/290/565

Haha well frog was the only cue I could think of that resonates with a full extension.

You shouldn't fall on your butt, because once you take the slack out of the bar you should have a fairly vertical back angle which will keep you nice and balanced.

But if when you are first setting up you don't feel like your weight is so far back you might fall over then your weight is most likely too far forward.

Once you actually begin the pull everything will then fall into place because you can't actually lift the bar otherwise.

Originally Posted by FrmrHoss View Post
    I don't know **** about olympic lifts so I'll just keep my mouth shut

The one thing I will chime in on re: the above post is that when I'm in a good deadlift setup at the bottom position, I do feel like it's one that I can barely hold without falling over. I would imagine that it would be pretty similar to start the clean/snatch.
    Interdasting. I don't feel like that on my DL either. Maybe that's one reason it's so weak.

Haha well frog was the only cue I could think of that resonates with a full extension.

You shouldn't fall on your butt, because once you take the slack out of the bar you should have a fairly vertical back angle which will keep you nice and balanced.

But if when you are first setting up you don't feel like your weight is so far back you might fall over then your weight is most likely too far forward.

Once you actually begin the pull everything will then fall into place because you can't actually lift the bar otherwise.
    Okay... I think I get it. Maybe. I will experiment tonight and report back with video.

that works too or just forget everything I say and just rip the bar off the floor as explosive as humanly possible.

that usually works too haha.

If I go to the gym tonight I will try and demonstrate my set-up.

Jan 21

RANT ALERT
    __________________________________________________ _________

So I got to the gym early because I wanted to have time to do a lot of squat sets, and promptly had half an hour of my time wasted by a douchebag trainer who felt he needed to tell me in excruciating detail how there's a new policy of half an hour's limit on use of the squat racks because people have been complaining. Ok, that's cool, I never squat for more than half an hour. It then becomes apparent that this MORON who is supposedly a TRAINER thinks that the PLATFORMS AND THE SQUAT/POWER RACK ARE ONE PIECE OF EQUIPMENT. U ****ing wot mate. So me and my partner spend the rest of our workout cleaning and snatching on the floor in the middle of the gym and nearly killing several inattentive morons, while an 100 pound asian kid wearing jeans does speed 1/8 squats with 10 lbs and the pussy pad in the squat rack and then does "the worm" on the floor of the power rack after walking away leaving his weights and pad on the other bar. ASK ME HOW RUSTLED I AM. SO ****ING RUSTLED

Also I am not allowed to have my tiny lululemon bag on the floor of the gym. OK, just let me take out my wrist wraps, knee wraps, tape, notebook, phone, water bottle, chalk, sweatshirt and oly shoes and SPREAD THEM ALL OVER THE ****ING FLOOR because that's better, right? And I'll put my empty bag in a locker just for you.

Luckily that trainer only works one day a week and I'm friends with all the others. Otherwise this sitch could be bad for my blood pressure.

Snatches went about like usual. But I FINALLY clean PR'ed that 85 I should have had a week ago. I kept failing and it makes no sense because 80 is so easy, so finally my partner spoke up and quietly muttered that I was being a pussy, I was pulling the bar to sternum height and not getting under it because I was obviously scared of the weight. This was what I needed to hear and I finally committed to getting under the bar and guess what, it was easy. I should be cleaning more. This is why I keep pushing myself - I think most of my failures happen not because I can't lift whatever, but because I'm afraid of the weight

Warmup
    .5 mile jog
    foam rolling
    lower body stretches
    bar x5 hang snatches

Snatches
    bar x2 x15

Clean + Jerks
    bar x5 hang clean & jerk
    50 x3 clean & jerk
    65 x3 clean & jerk
    75 x3
    85 fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, x1 PR FINALLY THANK FUK
    65 x2 x3

High Bar ATG Pause Squats
    65 x6
    75 x5
    85 x3
    85 x5
    85 x5

Weighted Hip Thrusts
    25 x20 x4sets, 1 sec pauses at lockout

Lat PD
    80 x12 x4sets

Face Pulls/Cable Row Superset
    FP 40 x8 x4
    CR 75 x12 x4

Lower Body Rehab
    clamshells 12 x3
    lying abduction 12 x3

Shoulder Rehab
    band pull aparts
    btn band pull aparts
    band external rotation

Mobility

Supps

that works too or just forget everything I say and just rip the bar off the floor as explosive as humanly possible.

that usually works too haha.

If I go to the gym tonight I will try and demonstrate my set-up.
    No, when I do that I miss epically, srs.

Yes come

FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Jan 21

RANT ALERT

So I got to the gym early because I wanted to have time to do a lot of squat sets, and promptly had half an hour of my time wasted by a douchebag trainer who felt he needed to tell me in excruciating detail how there's a new policy of half an hour's limit on use of the squat racks because people have been complaining. Ok, that's cool, I never squat for more than half an hour. It then becomes apparent that this MORON who is supposedly a TRAINER thinks that the PLATFORMS AND THE SQUAT/POWER RACK ARE ONE PIECE OF EQUIPMENT. U ****ing wot mate. So me and my partner spend the rest of our workout cleaning and snatching on the floor in the middle of the gym and nearly killing several inattentive morons, while an 100 pound asian kid wearing jeans does speed 1/8 squats with 10 lbs and the pussy pad in the squat rack and then does "the worm" on the floor of the power rack after walking away leaving his weights and pad on the other bar. ASK ME HOW RUSTLED I AM. SO ****ING RUSTLED

Also I am not allowed to have my tiny lululemon bag on the floor of the gym. OK, just let me take out my wrist wraps, knee wraps, tape, notebook, phone, water bottle, chalk, sweatshirt and oly shoes and SPREAD THEM ALL OVER THE ****ING FLOOR because that's better, right? And I'll put my empty bag in a locker just for you.
    Based on this rant, and this rant alone, I suspect we would get along just fine.

I've basically befriended one trainer at my gym who talks to the others for me to let my contraband materials in (namely, chalk) but also my bag of goodies, shoes, sleeves, wraps, and bands.
    New log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144101461
    Best meet lifts: 424/303/551 (93kg)
    Best gym lifts: 420/290/565

liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    yeah theres a trainer at my gym who told me I wasnt allowed to use chalk anymore... when I kept doing it, he started bringing me a broom to clean it up..when I wouldnt clean it up, he left me alone. Now I make the biggest mess I can. I chalk every damn bar I use for anything..hell I even chalk the handles on the ab crunch machine lol.
    My 5/3/1 progress can be found here.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142870321&p

Uncut LOG...check it out here!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152706323

{{**ORIGINAL DSC**}}

I lift one rep at a time.

simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Jan 21

RANT ALERT

Luckily that trainer only works one day a week and I'm friends with all the others. Otherwise this sitch could be bad for my blood pressure.
    For all the above reasons I now drive 45 minutes in traffic to go to a private gym. It is definitely worth it.
    Total's = Jan. 2012 - 1036 @ 198's
    Jan. 2013 - 1184 @ 220's
    Jul. 2013 - 1251 @ 220's
    Jan. 2014 - 1355 @ 242's

Originally Posted by FrmrHoss View Post
    Based on this rant, and this rant alone, I suspect we would get along just fine.

I've basically befriended one trainer at my gym who talks to the others for me to let my contraband materials in (namely, chalk) but also my bag of goodies, shoes, sleeves, wraps, and bands.
    Was it ever in doubt? Having people on the inside is key. I suspect this one trainer hates my group because he is friends with a surly oversized azzhole who likes to hog the power rack at the end of the night to do eighteen sets of 4-plate shrugs. No squats, no deadlifts, just shrugs. He frequently accidentally-on-purpose walks into me when I'm using the platform that's up against his rack.

Originally Posted by liftingson View Post
    yeah theres a trainer at my gym who told me I wasnt allowed to use chalk anymore... when I kept doing it, he started bringing me a broom to clean it up..when I wouldnt clean it up, he left me alone. Now I make the biggest mess I can. I chalk every damn bar I use for anything..hell I even chalk the handles on the ab crunch machine lol.
    Lol. We're really good about our chalk use - keep it discreet, clean up after ourselves. Also always clean up our own plates and any others and help sort the dumbbells at the end of every night. That's part of the reason I'm pissed - we're good gym citizens, we don't need this garbage.

Originally Posted by simp3204 View Post
    For all the above reasons I now drive 45 minutes in traffic to go to a private gym. It is definitely worth it.
    Sigh. Maybe someday soon I will have the money for this...

2 PR's and an Epic Fail

Jan 22

Got that 95 bench

This despite the weirdo who insisted on "working in" with me.... to curl the bar and some 10's. There was an extra bar he could have used, but apparently he "needed" to straddle the bench. We also have fixed weight bars that go up to 110. I bertstared him SO HARD the entire time.

Did Pendlay's snatch progression stuff. Was going ok until I missed lockout and dumped the bar behind me. First time I've done that. Poor filmbuff tried to help me a bit with form and getting weight back on my heels but I was so rattled over the miss I couldn't really convert what he was telling me into action. Gave up again. Matched yesterday's clean PR and PR'ed on clean and jerk together, the latter of which filmbuff gave the stamp of approval so I feel good about that one.

Warmup
    45 mins infrared sauna rolling out joint with stick and stretching hammies/hip flexors
    foam rolling
    lower body stretches

Bench
    45 x8
    55 x6
    75 x3
    95 x1 *PR YEAAAAAHHHHHH
    came back and did work sets after snatch/clean/jerk:
    65 x6
    75 x5 x2sets
    65 x8 x2sets

Snatches
    bar x7 hang snatch progressions
    bar x1 x20 - missed about 6

Clean + Jerks
    65 x2 x4 cj
    75 x1 x4 cj *PR for putting the c & j together
    85 x1 *ties yesterday's PR
    65 x2 x3

Snatch Grip BTN Push Presses
    45 x3 x3sets

Inverted Row
    12 x3 sets, supersetted with ^

Shoulder Rehab
    band pull aparts
    btn band pull aparts
    band external/internal rotation

Cardio & Mobility
    3 mile easy pace run

Supps
    AM: b complex, milk thistle, glucosamine, joint care+, vit D
    PM: fish oil, CLA, antiox, inflaheal, multi, glucosamine
    Last edited by izzygrant; 01-23-2013 at 02:19 AM.

Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Wow, that's a long day. Solid volume in there.

It's okay to lose the bar behind IMO. It means you pull too hard. When it happens, my coach told me to add weight so I would say the coach Filmbuff did a good job haha!

lol @ the weirdo. He was hitting on you I guess XD
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149575693&p=977696913#post977696913

Competition lift : 212 kg total (95/117) @ 77 kg

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This despite the weirdo who insisted on "working in" with me.... to curl the bar and some 10's. There was an extra bar he could have used, but apparently he "needed" to straddle the bench. We also have fixed weight bars that go up to 110. I bertstared him SO HARD the entire time.
    I bet you his training journal went something like this,

"Dear Diary,

I was at the gym today doing barbell curls and this chick was mirin' me hard. Every set, she would just stare at my biceps as I pumped them further and further. Sloots gonna sloot! YOLO! #Curls4daGurls."
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast