MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow Disadvantages of whey protein isolate?

Hey there, I'm looking deeper into the supplements I'm taking and as much as I hate looking at the negative side of things, sometimes its best to take into consideration.

Just some small background info, I do full body workouts (no meals before) three days a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) Once finishing workouts, I'd have two scoops of cytogainer mixed in with water and milk, and a piece of fruit. Before going to bed, I'd have the same shake.

Now, upon finishing cytogainer, there have been many factors I think which may of had affected me in gaining/not gaining the muscle I've been working at for the past three months. Before cytogainer, I was just taking whey isolate as an after workout shake, and I'm looking to go back.

Doing some research, I found that the biggest negative effect, and positive of whey protein isolate, is that it absorbs quickly. I don't fully understand this and ask if someone could please clarify this for me. All I'm looking for, is a post workout shake I can use to help me bulk up, all advice and help is appreciated.

xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well this I am TOTALLY not sure of, but I guess I can throw in a little guess and at the same time help you to bump the thread and get someone more knowledgeable.

To my beliefe the reason why it might be bad to your oppinion, or why you have read it has a disadvantage, is because the body tries to absorb it too fast, and whatever the body doesnt absorb, just throws it out and you end up peeing it.

Unlike caseine proteine or so, they last longer after being drank making the absobtion of protein higher at a slower rate.

Lift hard, die strong. GolGotha's Avatar
    GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10) GolGotha is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by xologist View Post
    Well this I am TOTALLY not sure of, but I guess I can throw in a little guess and at the same time help you to bump the thread and get someone more knowledgeable.

To my beliefe the reason why it might be bad to your oppinion, or why you have read it has a disadvantage, is because the body tries to absorb it too fast, and whatever the body doesnt absorb, just throws it out and you end up peeing it.

Unlike caseine proteine or so, they last longer after being drank making the absobtion of protein higher at a slower rate.
    Your body never flushes nutrition out. You can eat and eat and eat and it will always use or store that energy. The disadvantage is perhaps that you're giving your body a big jolt of protein all at once and it can't use all of it, therefore putting it into fat or using it just as energy. If there was a way to release it more slowly, that would be optimal, but isolate is good after a workout since your body craves the protein and has a plethora of things to do with it.

nikeair91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikeair91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikeair91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikeair91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikeair91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikeair91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikeair91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikeair91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikeair91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikeair91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikeair91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/xf/ultrapeptide2.html

Get a blend... I was like 2 seconds away from buying this... It will def. be in my next order...
    Eat, Drink Protein, Be Merry!

xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xologist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by GolGotha View Post
    Your body never flushes nutrition out. The disadvantage is perhaps that you're giving your body a big jolt of protein all at once and it can't use all of it, therefore putting it into fat or using it just as energy.
    Thanks for correcting me, and I just couldn't find the right words; such as, "a big jolt of protein all at once"

DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    whey is perfectly fine when taken around workouts (pre/post workout). there its fast absorbtion is very welcome to quickly ramp up plasma and extracellular amino acid levels, wjhich can be used for increased muscular synthesis.

however, outside of the timeframe of workouts, slower digesting proteins are definitively better because of the reasons mentioned in previous posts of this thread.

whole foods like cottage cheese, tuna, eggs etc are excellent sources of slow-digesting protein, so, in essence, you don't even need to specifically search for expensive supplements that provide that type of protein.

MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleForHire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'll be a bit more specific, I can't remember exactly where I found the articles, I just searched 'disadvantages of whey protein isolate', I came across something about about putting you in a catabolic state. I couldn't figure out what it meant exactly so I wanted to see if anyone would post something up about it here.

I don't want to mix or use more than one supplement, something just right after I workout is all I'm looking for and isolate comes across as being the best pick so far.

newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MuscleForHire View Post
    Hey there, I'm looking deeper into the supplements I'm taking and as much as I hate looking at the negative side of things, sometimes its best to take into consideration.

Just some small background info, I do full body workouts (no meals before) three days a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) Once finishing workouts, I'd have two scoops of cytogainer mixed in with water and milk, and a piece of fruit. Before going to bed, I'd have the same shake.

Now, upon finishing cytogainer, there have been many factors I think which may of had affected me in gaining/not gaining the muscle I've been working at for the past three months. Before cytogainer, I was just taking whey isolate as an after workout shake, and I'm looking to go back.

Doing some research, I found that the biggest negative effect, and positive of whey protein isolate, is that it absorbs quickly. I don't fully understand this and ask if someone could please clarify this for me. All I'm looking for, is a post workout shake I can use to help me bulk up, all advice and help is appreciated.
    Not eating before your workout and taking a shake with tons of sugar before bed are far more significant negatives than taking just isolate post workout. Youre supposed to eat a solid meal about an hour after your shake. If youre not gaining like you want then I can guarantee you its your diet and/or training, not the type of supplement youre taking.
    Last edited by newequation; 02-17-2008 at 07:35 AM.

chumbucket_ is just really nice. (+1000) chumbucket_ is just really nice. (+1000) chumbucket_ is just really nice. (+1000) chumbucket_ is just really nice. (+1000) chumbucket_ is just really nice. (+1000) chumbucket_ is just really nice. (+1000) chumbucket_ is just really nice. (+1000) chumbucket_ is just really nice. (+1000) chumbucket_ is just really nice. (+1000) chumbucket_ is just really nice. (+1000) chumbucket_ is just really nice. (+1000)
    you can use isolate during the day, just make sure youre getting enough fats to slow down the digestion. if all you want is a pwo shake then wpi is a great choice, or if your are an ecto you can look into pwo shakes (like universal torrent, there are a bunch more pick one you like)

and cytogainer before bed?? bad choice

Registered User NamesAreHardToPick's Avatar
    NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Suggestions:

- If possible, do workouts in the morning. Eat a good meal before working out with low glycemic/high glycemic carbs before workout (for example: 1 hour prior to working out, down 1/2 cup of Scottish oatmeal/oatmeal, then thirty minutes later down 20 grams of high glycemic carbs of your choice along with a mix of whey and casein protein).
    - According to a recent Baylor University study quoted in Men's Health, a mix of whey plus casein post-workout over ten weeks built five more pounds of muscle than just whey alone. I am sure that tons of people on this forum can give you various choices for whey/casein blends as I have my own personal choice, but that seems to be the best decision.
    - Also, when bulking, I noticed that several sources are stating that chocolate milk are best post-workout because of the type of protein and the high glycemic carbs. This goes back to working out early in the morning again; if you are drinking something like this early in the morning it is going to be absorbed fast and any sugar from it will be used to help you build muscle. Drinking something like this right before bed is questionable.
    - If you can handle and absord oats post-workout like many people at this forum do, go for it. I have never been a big fan of this as I'll be burping it up hours later - which implies it's not being absorbed fast. But since I workout very early, I go with the sugar+milk+whey/casein method and have no problems whatsoever.
    - Also although I have no problem with sugars pre and post-workout, throughout the day you need low glycemic carbs. I eat Scottish oatmeal raw with my meals with nothing added. By far, that is the greatest way to gain lean muscle (I eat it with 3 oz. lean boiled chicken usually and some vegetables, NO FRUITS).

Originally Posted by NamesAreHardToPick View Post
    NO FRUITS).
    Serious? Any particular reason why?

So in conclusion, WPI is an excellent protein shake after my workout.

Just a final question, blended whey supplements, are they just as effective as WPI after working out?

Registered User NamesAreHardToPick's Avatar
    NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Serious? Any particular reason why?
    Fruits are awesome around pre/post-workout, but I prefer vegetables throughout the day with Scottish oatmeal. It may sound crazy, but I actually like vegetables better - though they don't provide much energy before/after working out whereas fruits do.

newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by NamesAreHardToPick View Post
    Fruits are awesome around pre/post-workout, but I prefer vegetables throughout the day with Scottish oatmeal. It may sound crazy, but I actually like vegetables better - though they don't provide much energy before/after working out whereas fruits do.
    On fructose (fruit sugar):

"It's preferentially stored as liver glycogen rather than muscle glycogen like glucose is; fine if you do a lot of cardio, less useful for resistance training. Additionally once fructose is in the liver it can aid in the production of triglycerides (fat), and increase fat formation."