Semhar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What type of effect does Pushing Carts have on your body muscle wise?

I push carts at Wal-Mart for 33 hours per week on average.

I wanted to know what type of effect it has on your body muscle wise.

As far as cardio wise, I already know, since I lost allot of weight, but muscle wise, I'm not sure.

The carts are heavy, they are made of metal, and I push allot of them. With the amount of carts I bring in, it feels similar to the worn out feeling you get from lifting weights.

Also, the parking lot is uphill, so it feels like pushing carts up to a mountain top.

Whenever I bring in carts, I feel pressure on my legs, and my shoulders. My shoulders seem to have gotten bigger too.

YEHUMIRIN will become famous soon enough. (+50) YEHUMIRIN will become famous soon enough. (+50) YEHUMIRIN will become famous soon enough. (+50) YEHUMIRIN will become famous soon enough. (+50) YEHUMIRIN will become famous soon enough. (+50) YEHUMIRIN will become famous soon enough. (+50) YEHUMIRIN will become famous soon enough. (+50) YEHUMIRIN will become famous soon enough. (+50) YEHUMIRIN will become famous soon enough. (+50) YEHUMIRIN will become famous soon enough. (+50) YEHUMIRIN will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Im guessing pushing carts would have more of an aerobic/cardio effect on your body as well as strengthening your core

Originally Posted by YEHUMIRIN View Post
    Im guessing pushing carts would have more of an aerobic/cardio effect on your body as well as strengthening your core
    what do you mean with core?

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    It's similar to pushing a light prowler or sled, something like that. You get some pressing work, some core work, some added leg work. Not sure how much though, depends on how much you're doing.

MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Semhar View Post
    what do you mean with core?
    THE F*CKING CENTER OF YOUR BODY.

People really don't know this stuff?

Originally Posted by MrMisanthrope View Post
    THE F*CKING CENTER OF YOUR BODY.

People really don't know this stuff?
    no sh*t, but what does that mean though?

Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    It's similar to pushing a light prowler or sled, something like that. You get some pressing work, some core work, some added leg work. Not sure how much though, depends on how much you're doing.
    I'm not really familiar with working out, so what do those mean?

Marc27Default will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc27Default will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc27Default will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc27Default will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc27Default will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc27Default will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc27Default will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc27Default will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc27Default will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc27Default will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc27Default will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I worked at Walmart pushing carts for like 1-1/2 years in college during which I was probably most interested in bodybuilding. I did the usual 3-5 day split routine with plenty of calories and protein shakes thrown in. I would say the biggest effect pushing carts had was helping to keep me leaner. I seemed to be 1-2% lower in body fat while I worked there. Probably just the effect of increased work and burning more calories, etc. It is basically lots of walking, and walking is in general a good exercise. You are basically walking non-stop and on your feet for a whole shift. Calves and arms may get a slight workout but nothing serious. You probably won't be building or strengthening any muscles unless you were super weak to begin with. You will probably be in better shape overall. Just consume calories during all your breaks. I frequently drank half a gallon of milk while at work along with other food.
    Training Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120458841

Best gym lifts:-
    Power Snatch............215
    Snatch.....................235
    Front Squat..............285
    Behind neck jerk.......315
    Olympic Back Squat...325

Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Semhar View Post
    no sh*t, but what does that mean though?
    IT MEANS ITS WORKING YOUR CORE.

Seriously.

jg314231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jg314231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jg314231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jg314231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jg314231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jg314231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jg314231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jg314231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jg314231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jg314231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jg314231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    functional strength..

i'm hungry

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Doesn't your Wal-Mart provide the little cart pusher?
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah,Pushing carts can really enhance stamina,mostly cardio stamina,even possibly muscular stamina if you work extra hard out there pushing extra carts.
    This was actually my first steady year round job back in my HighSchool days. I remember the first 2-1/2 months i was basically Dogging it out there,only pushing usually 5 or 6 carts,maybe 8 at the most,and the carts were considerably smaller back in those days. Its weird but actually not weird if you figure upon how and why i started pushing my body alot more all of a sudden. I was bullied in class,at work,and in the cafeteria,plus some kid only slightly bigger than me really whooped me at arm-wrestling,so all of a sudden,after all that stuff transpiring within days,i decided i really wanted to get alot stronger really fast and instinctively i felt if i really turn my job into a workout,i can get alot stronger quite rapidly. First of course i raised my protein intake,and allthough i wasnt at all into lifting weights during that time period,and wasnt going to drink yucky cruddy tasting protein shakes,i knew instinctively i needed to eat alot more meat,and primarily in the form of red-meat. I really started beefing out dietary intake wise,and i really started pushing myself really hard at work,plus i decided to throw in some weight-lifting,in my back-yard i had an old cruddy bench but it would do. I had piles of weights that had been my Dad's from a long time ago. They would do as well,even though it was mostly plastic weights and a 10 lb barbell,i made do since all i did weights wise was benching. I figured thats all i need because my job did the rest well enough.

Funny though how instinctive i was back then as a kid in his mid teens having mysterious inner knowledge like that while simultaneously having practically zero interest in any kind of structured disciplined properly constructed bodybuilding program. I used to really load up the double bags while bagging also,but only if i saw there was a strong enough looking guy to help with the groceries. Alot of the customers were hard working,rugged,hearty farm worker types(This was a farmer type of town). I must've loaded up those double paper bags with 30-40+ lbs thousands of times. I would lift them up with one hand in a sort of hammer grip,and i remember nodding my head towards people i was handing them to and they would either nod back or smile usually. I was a pretty Kooky kid when i think back,its a rather amusing memory recollection actually,but anyway,i remember also when gathering up the 70 lb paper bag bales(Paper bags all loaded up into one 70 lb package),i would load like 8 or so of them onto a u-boat and bring em all up front to fill each of the grocery store registers. I used to lift those 70 lb bales of paper bags with this sort of concrete masonary workers style of lifting,meaning i would purposely lift those 70 lb bunched bales of bags from the sides,like i said,the hard way,so my arms would have to strain and flex alot more. Hard work can really build you're strength so fast and thats what i soon was realizing back then. My strength really went through the roof within a couple months of this type of unorthodox style of dedication. Like i said,it wasnt through some properly devised scientific weight training program but rather through methodically self devised means of attaining/gaining great strength means through naturally aspirited working man's ways.
    Last edited by thor93; 12-17-2015 at 04:02 PM.
    *Addicted to swimming during the summer crew.*
    *Despisement of 2nd hand smoke crew.*
    *Bring back the Commodore 64 crew.*
    *Create a new electric car/vehicle thats under 5 grand crew !*
    *I work very hard for very little pay crew. : ( *
    *I am just "Not Of" this stupid selfish world crew.*
    *I feel annoyed and disgusted of people pre-occupied with they're smart-phones crew. : / *
    *I grew up an Ultra Late Bloomer crew.*

DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by thor93 View Post
    Yeah,Pushing carts can really enhance stamina,mostly cardio stamina,even possibly muscular stamina if you work extra hard out there pushing extra carts.
    This was actually my first steady year round job back in my HighSchool days. I remember the first 2-1/2 months i was basically Dogging it out there,only pushing usually 5 or 6 carts,maybe 8 at the most,and the carts were considerably smaller back in those days. Its weird but actually not weird if you figure upon how and why i started pushing my body alot more all of a sudden. I was bullied in class,at work,and in the cafeteria,plus some kid only slightly bigger than me really whooped me at arm-wrestling,so all of a sudden,after all that stuff transpiring within days,i decided i really wanted to get alot stronger really fast and instinctively i felt if i really turn my job into a workout,i can get alot stronger quite rapidly. First of course i raised my protein intake,and allthough i wasnt at all into lifting weights during that time period,and wasnt going to drink yucky cruddy tasting protein shakes,i knew instinctively i needed to eat alot more meat,and primarily in the form of red-meat. I really started beefing out dietary intake wise,and i really started pushing myself really hard at work,plus i decided to throw in some weight-lifting,in my back-yard i had an old cruddy bench but it would do. I had piles of weights that had been my Dad's from a long time ago. They would do as well,even though it was mostly plastic weights and a 10 lb barbell,i made do since all i did weights wise was benching. I figured thats all i need because my job did the rest well enough.

Funny though how instinctive i was back then as a kid in his mid teens having mysterious inner knowledge like that while simultaneously having practically zero interest in any kind of structured disciplined properly constructed bodybuilding program. I used to really load up the double bags while bagging also,but only if i saw there was a strong enough looking guy to help with the groceries. Alot of the customers were hard working,rugged,hearty farm worker types(This was a farmer type of town). I must've loaded up those double paper bags with 30-40+ lbs thousands of times. I would lift them up with one hand in a sort of hammer grip,and i remember nodding my head towards people i was handing them to and they would either nod back or smile usually. I was a pretty Kooky kid when i think back,its a rather amusing memory recollection actually,but anyway,i remember also when gathering up the 70 lb paper bag bales(Paper bags all loaded up into one 70 lb package),i would load like 8 or so of them onto a u-boat and bring em all up front to fill each of the grocery store registers. I used to lift those 70 lb bales of paper bags with this sort of concrete masonary workers style of lifting,meaning i would purposely lift those 70 lb bunched bales of bags from the sides,like i said,the hard way,so my arms would have to strain and flex alot more. Hard work can really build you're strength so fast and thats what i soon was realizing back then. My strength really went through the roof within a couple months of this type of unorthodox style of dedication. Like i said,it wasnt through some properly devised scientific weight training program but rather through methodically self devised means of attaining/gaining great strength means through naturally aspirited working man's ways.
    This thread is 4 years old.

I wouldn't be surprised if OP didn't even work at Walmart anymore.