biff_6 is not very well liked. (-100) biff_6 is not very well liked. (-100) biff_6 is not very well liked. (-100) biff_6 is not very well liked. (-100) biff_6 is not very well liked. (-100) biff_6 is not very well liked. (-100) biff_6 is not very well liked. (-100) biff_6 is not very well liked. (-100) biff_6 is not very well liked. (-100) biff_6 is not very well liked. (-100) biff_6 is not very well liked. (-100)

is rice good for a main source of carbs

I just recently started training again and my cash flow isn't what it used to be. I need a cheap way to intake carbs. Can I use rice as my main source of carb intake. I could use some insight please.

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    do you like rice? if so, it's fine. but you do wanna try to get some variety. things like oats in bulk are pretty cheap. just an ex. but, again, if you like rice, it's a fine choice.

piggy85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A lot of people say it's best to stick to brown rice (or basmati rice) as white rice can be stripped of it's nutritional value in the processing of it ie: brown rice has more fibre due to the husk being left on. I also find oats a good, cheap choice for some variety.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by biff_6 View Post
    I just recently started training again and my cash flow isn't what it used to be. I need a cheap way to intake carbs. Can I use rice as my main source of carb intake. I could use some insight please.
    Rice is pretty much just carbs with no vitamins, fiber, etc. I consider it an "empty" food, much the same as the other white carbs. There's nothing wrong with white rice, as long as you are getting enough of what you need from other sources. My preference is "brown" carbs - brown rice, whole wheat pasta, beans, whole grain bread, oats, etc.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Ditched the hooker heels! elainedeluca's Avatar
    elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yams are pretty cheap too...
    ********: http://www.********.com/Chickthatlifts
    ******** Fan Page: http://www.********.com/ChickThatLiftsElaineDeLuca
    Twitter: @chickthatlifts
    Blog: http://www.chickthatlifts.com

Top Secret Nutrition Sponsored Athlete

Dedication + motivation = annihilation
    Live, love, lift

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Rice is fine, but I'd stick with brown. And even whole wheat pasta is a pretty cheap source of carbs, along with oats as others have already mentioned. I've started buying my oats in bulk - much cheaper that way. And yam/sweet potatoes are awesome. I typically just boil and mash them and sprinkle a little cinnamon on them and I'm good to go. Hubby likes a little maple syrup mixed in as well, and that's good, too. And they are really good for you.

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DaniGrrl View Post
    Rice is fine, but I'd stick with brown.
    Care to explain why?
    Oh, because it's cleaner right?

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, any carbs you like are fine.
    All carbs eventually break down into sugars in your body. GI pretty much doesn't matter because you don't eat carbs in isolation.

I personally use
    - oats
    - brown and white rice
    - quinoa
    - bulgur
    -buckwheat
    - pasta
    - potatoes - white and sweet
    - bread - different kinds (white, wholewheat etc.)
    - bagels
    - muffins, cakes, cookies - basically any homemade baked stuff with flour and sugar
    - cereal
    - sorbets/icecream
    - all kinds of vegetables
    - fruit
    - fat free greek yogurt and 1% cottage cheese (they contain carbs)
    Last edited by juliacheh; 07-05-2011 at 10:31 AM.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    juliacheh has provided solid and, I suspect, thought-provoking contributions to this thread.

ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    GI pretty much doesn't matter because you don't eat carbs in isolation.
    This. The GI scare of 3 years ago has come and gone, because science has proven that GI is irrelevant when foods are consumed together.

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Care to explain why?
    Oh, because it's cleaner right?
    LOL. I know from everything I've read here it doesn't truly matter. And don't get me wrong - I eat plenty of white rice with sushi, to which I am addicted And won't give that up. Ever. And definitely don't see any difference. But I was also flagged with insulin resistance and it was drilled into my head that white carbs are bad and that advice is just a part of me now, and it's my habit to get brown if I'm at the store and buying rice.

LOL. I know from everything I've read here it doesn't truly matter. And don't get me wrong - I eat plenty of white rice with sushi, to which I am addicted And won't give that up. Ever. And definitely don't see any difference. But I was also flagged with insulin resistance and it was drilled into my head that white carbs are bad and that advice is just a part of me now, and it's my habit to get brown if I'm at the store and buying rice.
    If you have true insulin resitance, it is different for you.
    But generally it doesn't matter.

If you have true insulin resitance, it is different for you.
    But generally it doesn't matter.
    Thanks for that info! Since being on this site, I can tell that a lot of the "clean" stuff isn't as important, but I hadn't considered if it meant for someone in my boat or not, meaning having been flagged IR at one point. At this point, I'm not sure if I am still insulin resistant. I was tested 5 years ago when trying to get pregnant. My dad is now borderline diabetic - it would probably make sense for me to get tested again just so I know.

viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for that info! Since being on this site, I can tell that a lot of the "clean" stuff isn't as important, but I hadn't considered if it meant for someone in my boat or not, meaning having been flagged IR at one point. At this point, I'm not sure if I am still insulin resistant. I was tested 5 years ago when trying to get pregnant. My dad is now borderline diabetic - it would probably make sense for me to get tested again just so I know.
    That is likely a good idea. If it runs in your family, definitely keep tabs on it

I used to think I was insulin resistant - turns out I was just silly and used to eating low amounts of carbs. When you slowly up carb amounts, your "resistance" becomes less (yes, you will hold some water, the scale will go up a bit... but your body WILL regulate it, if you are normal). ASSUMING youre not truly insulin resistant.

LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    same basically applys for white rice.

OP, any carbs you like are fine.
    All carbs eventually break down into sugars in your body. GI pretty much doesn't matter because you don't eat carbs in isolation.

I personally use
    - oats
    - brown and white rice
    - quinoa
    - bulgur
    -buckwheat
    - pasta
    - potatoes - white and sweet
    - bread - different kinds (white, wholewheat etc.)
    - bagels
    - muffins, cakes, cookies - basically any homemade baked stuff with flour and sugar
    - cereal
    - sorbets/icecream
    - all kinds of vegetables
    - fruit
    - fat free greek yogurt and 1% cottage cheese (they contain carbs)
    i agree, but if you dont mixed the carbs somehow, i.e consume your meals carbs then consume protein the carbs will digest 1st, the gi would matter
    sikk'est ****,
    getting big for dem beaches n gals

Registered User RealMenDeadLift's Avatar
    RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by LukeSport16 View Post
    I advise you to take anything that guy says with a very large grain of salt. He bases his assertions off of heresay and junk science.

i agree, but if you dont mixed the carbs somehow, i.e consume your meals carbs then consume protein the carbs will digest 1st, the gi would matter
    Who eats carbs in isolation after a fast? It wouldn't matter even if they did as energy balance over time determines net gains/losses.
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

NOW HAS A LOG!!!! peanut-butter's Avatar
    peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

It saddens me when people actually believe Gay Taubes argument.
    "Whoa, peanut-butter does look a lot like Cum." - Alan Aragon

IIFYMM- If it fits Your Macros and Micros.

5k+ Link (Please PM me if I forget)

*Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs

LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LukeSport16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by RealMenDeadLift View Post
    I advise you to take anything that guy says with a very large grain of salt. He bases his assertions off of heresay and junk science.

Who eats carbs in isolation after a fast? It wouldn't matter even if they did as energy balance over time determines net gains/losses.
    - lol,he does referrence alot of his videos on his site, would say what he states is pretty accurate.

i do eat carbs in isolation after fasting. ,
    cereal after i awake.

would agree about what you state. but that only applys if your cutting
    sikk'est ****,

AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    if white rice makes you fat, then please explain why south korea has one of the lowest obesity rates in the world. we practically inhale it.

op, white rice is fine if it fits your macros.
    Cutting from 175lbs to 135lbs, see my journey: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133641461

"Ordinary people evade facts, become inconsistent, or systematically defend themselves against the threat of new information relevant to issues [about which they have preconceived ideas]." - Cognitive Psychologist Peter Wason, 1981

Come join me: http://www.********.com/TheWellnessChick

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    - lol,he does referrence alot of his videos on his site, would say what he states is pretty accurate.

i do eat carbs in isolation after fasting. ,
    cereal after i awake.

would agree about what you state. but that only applys if your cutting
    God I wish I could neg you back to the red.

Originally Posted by MrB1g View Post
    God I wish I could neg you back to the red.
    it has been done kind sir!
    sikk'est ****,

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    For clarification, I didn't recommend "brown" carbs because of insulin or whatever. I just like to get more fiber and whatnot in my food.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

XenaCallisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XenaCallisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XenaCallisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XenaCallisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XenaCallisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XenaCallisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XenaCallisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XenaCallisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XenaCallisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XenaCallisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XenaCallisto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I mostly eat brown rice for the higher nutritional value. It has nothing to do with whether I may or may not 'get fat' and everything to do with the fact you get more nutritional value from brown rice.

Believe it or not some people eat clean for health reasons and not just because they think it's the only way to lose weight. I find it weird that so many people on this site get up in arms if you say you like to eat as clean as possible. It seems to be seen in the same light as if you had just admitted you always bathe with your clothes on- unnecessary and absurd.

Some people just like to eat clean!