JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Right shoulder lower than left: How to correct this

Hi, my right shoulder is lower than my left and its very noticeable. I read on this board that it could be a scoliosis, so I went to my doctor and she told me, after watching my posture and my back, that it look like I have one side bigger than the other and she told me to see an osteopath, but I dont have the money for this right now. So my question is.... which muscles should I work to correct this problem? Its not a traps problem, because when I "shrug" my right side, its not natural. Maybe its in my upper back or lats, because I just have to move the upper part of my body a little bit to the left to solve the problem (Like a pendulum move... from right to left). If someone knows which mucles to work then tell me, because I didn't have this problem before working out so it could be a muscle imbalance.

ps: sorry for bad english, im still learning
    Last edited by JoeDemers; 12-03-2011 at 09:01 AM.

MattySingy1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had a similiar issue after tearing my rotator cuff, I healed lifted again and noticed it. Saw a physio he put it down to needed to work on my lower traps (t-bar rows etc) to straighten me out and pull my shoulders in line.

GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by JoeDemers View Post
    Hi, my right shoulder is lower than my left and its very noticeable. I read on this board that it could be a scoliosis, so I went to my doctor and she told me, after watching my posture and my back, that it look like I have one side bigger than the other and she told me to see an osteopath, but I dont have the money for this right now. So my question is.... which muscles should I work to correct this problem? Its not a traps problem, because when I "shrug" my right side, its not natural. Maybe its in my upper back or lats, because I just have to move the upper part of my body a little bit to the left to solve the problem (Like a pendulum move... from right to left). If someone knows which mucles to work then tell me, because I didn't have this problem before working out so it could be a muscle imbalance.

Hey,

I am not a doctor so dont quote me. Is the shoulder muscle actually bigger than the other or is it is in a higher position than the other shoulder.

Dont focus on shrugs as much as this will create high/taller traps. Allow your traps to be built with other movements in your back program, or high front lateral raises. Potentially an over head press focusing on the heads of your deltoids could visually fix your problem.

Most of all I would focus on your back. A strong back is number 1 in keeping your shoulders pulled back and in proper posture.

Stay away from the heavy weights and focus on conditioning the problem and eliminating it.

Go see a chiropractor. The cost is cheap and they definitely know alot about posture. Way more than your GP!

Good luck

sref is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sref is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sref is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sref is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sref is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sref is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sref is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sref is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sref is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sref is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sref is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    OP, how bad is it really? Nobody is perfectly symetrical. Maybe if you could attach a pic, even from the back, it would help a lot. Maybe you have a winged scapula or internally rotated humerus on one side, causing an imbalance. When you bench do you have a hard time retracting one of your shoulder blades? How is your flexibility?

JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeDemers will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Its weird, when i look in the mirror, the line between my abs is to inline with the middle line in my pecs... also, I dont know if its because my right shoulder is lower than my right, but my left pec is big and round, but my right pec I smaller and very noticeable, my right outer pec is big, but my upper/inner pec is flat and i dont know why

p.s. I will try to take a picture, because I my cell cam is not very good and if I need someone to take the pic to show you my natural posture
    Last edited by JoeDemers; 12-03-2011 at 10:58 AM.

GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTL23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Its weird, when i look in the mirror, the line between my abs is to inline with the middle line in my pecs... also, I dont know if its because my right shoulder is lower than my right, but my left pec is big and round, but my right pec I smaller and very noticeable, my right outer pec is big, but my upper/inner pec is flat and i dont know why

p.s. I will try to take a picture, because I my cell cam is not very good and if I need someone to take the pic to show you my natural posture
    Concentration throughout your training. Concentration on the peak flexation during a rep. This will work!!!

Originally Posted by GTL23 View Post
    Concentration throughout your training. Concentration on the peak flexation during a rep. This will work!!!
    no specific exercices to correct my problem? As for my pec imbalance, is it caused by my right shoulder?

Azylus is just really nice. (+1000) Azylus is just really nice. (+1000) Azylus is just really nice. (+1000) Azylus is just really nice. (+1000) Azylus is just really nice. (+1000) Azylus is just really nice. (+1000) Azylus is just really nice. (+1000) Azylus is just really nice. (+1000) Azylus is just really nice. (+1000) Azylus is just really nice. (+1000) Azylus is just really nice. (+1000)
    i suggest you read this article (there's 5 parts to it)

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...no_more_part_i

it'll help you analyze what imbalances you have and how you can fix them

i also have my right shoulder lower than my left because of wearing a one strap backpack on the same shoulder for 4 years, it caused my lower back on the right side to become really tight and also developed my right lat quite a bit. been trying to fix it by evening out my back and stretching my lower back.

As for my pec imbalance, is it caused by my right shoulder?
    most likely caused by the lat imbalance
    Last edited by Azylus; 12-04-2011 at 08:39 AM.
    how much misc would a miscer misc if a miscer miscs all day?

ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000)

Normally a shoulder sitting lower than another tends to be caused by structural issues e.g scoliosis. Diagnosing scoliosis is not that difficult, I don't know why your doctor didn't order an X-ray and use a scoliometer (which most GP's have anyway).

Scoliosis can also be presented in a pseudo-scoliosis form in that there is a curvature in the spine caused by asymmetry in the hips or due to leg length discrepancies. On the other hand, injury or side preference in your daily go-abouts can cause postural imbalances that present as lateral unevenness. That is why you need to have it checked but don't overstress about it as most people are walking around with one shoulder, hip or knee sitting higher than the other/misaligned.

In terms of exercises, strengthen your back and avoid emphasizing one side over the other. If you truly have scoliosis, there is nothing you can do about it other than strengthen the muscles and connective tissue in a symmetrical manner as given by your body's predisposition. Do NOT work one side more than the other and, again, get yourself diagnosed adequately.

All the best.

bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000)
    no specific exercices to correct my problem? As for my pec imbalance, is it caused by my right shoulder?
    Try doing standing shoulder presses with a barbell. Start with light weight and then slowly add more. Using a barbell will force you to work both sides of your back and both of your shoulders equally. Eventually, it should even out. If not, then your problem is genetic.

TrainerWill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know this is an old thread but I just came across it and I have the same exact problem, my left shoulder is lower than my right and my left pec looks bigger and more full, I was just wondering if you ever figured out your problem? I also had this thought that it could be from playing hockey because I have always carried my hockey bag on my right shoulder so maybe that side is stronger?

Registered User BloodSweatBeers's Avatar
    BloodSweatBeers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BloodSweatBeers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BloodSweatBeers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BloodSweatBeers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BloodSweatBeers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BloodSweatBeers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BloodSweatBeers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BloodSweatBeers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BloodSweatBeers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BloodSweatBeers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BloodSweatBeers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TrainerWill View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I just came across it and I have the same exact problem, my left shoulder is lower than my right and my left pec looks bigger and more full, I was just wondering if you ever figured out your problem? I also had this thought that it could be from playing hockey because I have always carried my hockey bag on my right shoulder so maybe that side is stronger?
    I've had the same problem for the last few years and I've concluded that 18 years of playing the guitar has caused my left shoulder to drop lower than my right. I've slowly noticed an improvement by bringing overhead push presses into my back/shoulder routine and also paying extra close attention to my form in other exercises that engage my shoulders.

bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000) bcop is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TrainerWill View Post
    Originally Posted by BloodSweatBeers View Post
    I've had the same problem for the last few years and I've concluded that 18 years of playing the guitar has caused my left shoulder to drop lower than my right. I've slowly noticed an improvement by bringing overhead push presses into my back/shoulder routine and also paying extra close attention to my form in other exercises that engage my shoulders.
    Try doing standing shoulder presses with a barbell. Start with light weight and then slowly add more. Using a barbell will force you to work both sides of your back and both of your shoulders equally. Eventually, it should even out. If not, then your problem is genetic.

mitchellbundy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hey a bit late on this post

Originally Posted by MattySingy1990 View Post
    I had a similiar issue after tearing my rotator cuff, I healed lifted again and noticed it. Saw a physio he put it down to needed to work on my lower traps (t-bar rows etc) to straighten me out and pull my shoulders in line.
    Hey i have the exact same problem. I went heavy on dumb bell chest press flat and must have injured my right rotator cuff. Healed and then lifted again just the same as you. Noticed a big difference in my right shoulder which became lower than my left still is and have not done any thing about it other than gain perfect form to avoid injury and not go heavy. Its almost like my right shoulder looks better and is bigger even though its unnatural. which my wimpy left shoulder is in natural shape it looks crap compared to my right shoulder. Have you noticed a difference from your T Bar rows? I have not done anything about my shoulder and its been a about a year since my injury. Can i change it or is it too late to address my shoulder issue?

originalgymbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Problem solved? Nearly...

I've had exactly the same problem that's been described below, raised right shoulder that's more defined and, like some others, less developed right pec. Decided a few months ago to head to the physio to sort it out and it turns out, in my case, it's to do with dominance.

I have a dominant left arm (I'm left handed) so when doing DB shoulder presses the muscles in the weaker right shoulder are under greater tension than the stronger left. This means that the right shoulder gets bigger to compensate. Also, my physio told me, the lats on my left side were bigger, presumably to help stabilise the weight on the right side. As for pec development, it's the same issue. Because my left is dominant it's easier to fully contract the muscles on that side. So on the right side I've been doing incomplete reps by not squeezing as hard. To correct all this I've done a number of things:

- Taken 2 weeks to ease off difference in bigger right shoulder, whilst doing light physio to build up left
    - Checked my form on DB bench presses to make sure I'm contracting the muscles fully on the right side as well as the left
    - Checked my form on DB shoulder presses for the same reason, contracting fully on the left
    - I've also started using heavier weights for DB shoulder presses on the left (lower) shoulder. Get some odd looks using different weights, but who cares.

All of the above seems to be working - asymmetry is still there but it's definitely getting better. Worth noting that it would be pretty tough to try and do any of the above with BB exercises. Best to stick to DB so you can focus separately on left and right sides.

mmeadanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originalgymbo, what do you mean ease off? Quit working bigger shoulder for a couple weeks? Or just go lighter on the weights. I had a shoulder injury a couple years ago, and recently started lifting again. The difference is EXTREMELY noticeable.

(2.1*3.6==7.559995)!=true ImJJames's Avatar
    ImJJames has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImJJames has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImJJames has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImJJames has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImJJames has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImJJames has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImJJames has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImJJames has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImJJames has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImJJames has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImJJames has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by originalgymbo View Post
    I've had exactly the same problem that's been described below, raised right shoulder that's more defined and, like some others, less developed right pec. Decided a few months ago to head to the physio to sort it out and it turns out, in my case, it's to do with dominance.

I have a dominant left arm (I'm left handed) so when doing DB shoulder presses the muscles in the weaker right shoulder are under greater tension than the stronger left. This means that the right shoulder gets bigger to compensate. Also, my physio told me, the lats on my left side were bigger, presumably to help stabilise the weight on the right side. As for pec development, it's the same issue. Because my left is dominant it's easier to fully contract the muscles on that side. So on the right side I've been doing incomplete reps by not squeezing as hard. To correct all this I've done a number of things:

- Taken 2 weeks to ease off difference in bigger right shoulder, whilst doing light physio to build up left
    - Checked my form on DB bench presses to make sure I'm contracting the muscles fully on the right side as well as the left
    - Checked my form on DB shoulder presses for the same reason, contracting fully on the left
    - I've also started using heavier weights for DB shoulder presses on the left (lower) shoulder. Get some odd looks using different weights, but who cares.

All of the above seems to be working - asymmetry is still there but it's definitely getting better. Worth noting that it would be pretty tough to try and do any of the above with BB exercises. Best to stick to DB so you can focus separately on left and right sides.

Holy **** this is exactly same thing I have. I ignored it for so long after my rotator injury and just kept working out. Now that I have bigger muscles my imbalances are now extremely noticeable. It is actually very disheartening. I will try these tips.