Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DerekEt View Post
    I commend you for trying to work around your injury; very sorry to hear about what happened. If you are unable to perform any Squats,Deadlifts,or Overhead movements, it seems like right now your friends are going to be:

1) Bench Pressing 2) Front Squats 3) Rows 4)Machine movements that don't hurt

You are already implementing this into practice, but one of the big problems with your program is at the end of the week you are doing Chest/Biceps and Back/Triceps on back-to-back days. This is not the best way to go about doing this. Also, what brought you to choose "Getting 4-5 sets" of "4-5" reps before moving up in weight? If you are training for strength, I would also scrap the Decline Bench out of your routine. Assuming by strength, you mean powerlifting, or adding weight to your Flat Bench means you want movements to bring up your Flat Bench. Decline does a very poor job of transferring to the Flat Bench.

Before we go any further, have you tried following a proven training program? Based on your lifts, it doesn't seem like it is time to create your own programming. With a few minor tweaks, you could tailor an existing program to your own.
    Damn this thread is going to grow exponentially, I commend you on your efforts to better tbb

Also, what brought you to choose "Getting 4-5 sets" of "4-5" reps before moving up in weight?
    I find that if I didn't get at least 4 reps last session, there's no way I can move the weight up 5lbs and get 3 reps. I think you misread my poorly written description of what I'm doing as getting 4-5 sets of 4-5 reps. What I meant is before moving the weight up I try to get 4-5 reps for 4 working sets.

I would also scrap the Decline Bench out of your routine. Assuming by strength, you mean powerlifting, or adding weight to your Flat Bench means you want movements to bring up your Flat Bench. Decline does a very poor job of transferring to the Flat Bench.
    I'm not sure if what I'm doing qualifies as powerlifting, I'm not aiming for 1RMs. I cannot perform flat bench at all, it can destroy my shoulder after 6 repetitions of less than a plate. I've tried cable flies, dumbbell flies, flat barbell bench, flat dumbbell bench etc... all I can do for chest is incline barbell bench press and decline smith bench press without crippling myself.

Before we go any further, have you tried following a proven training program? Based on your lifts, it doesn't seem like it is time to create your own programming. With a few minor tweaks, you could tailor an existing program to your own.
    I've never followed a proven training program. I had no idea how to change the program to suit my injury. Previous to it my dad didn't let me do squats or deadlifts, it seemed like that threw the majority (if not all) of the pre-made programs out the window.

Thanks.
    November 2013 Meet Lifts
    83kg Class
    145 Squat
    90 Bench
    170 Deadlift

Best Gym Lifts
    75kg Bodyweight
    145x2 Squat
    110 touch'n'go Bench
    190 Deadlift

thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Inseason Workout

I'm in my rugby season so I only lift twice a week, 3 times if I'm lucky. Goals are strength and mass, I progress linearly on the major compound lifts. Try to go up 5lbs a week on exercises

The main structure of my program is to do one major upper pushing exercise, one upper pulling exercise and then a compound leg exercise and follow that up with a more bodybuilding style workout. I also chuck in Olympic lifts here and there also.

WORKOUT A

Flat BB Bench Press - 3x5
    Squat - 3x5
    Incline/Flat DB Bench Press - 2x8
    Pendlay Rows - 3x5
    Shrugs - 3x12
    Chin-ups 3 sets max reps
    Curls 2 sets of 12
    Defranco ab circuit or deadlift singles

WORKOUT B

Free Squat/ Box Squat - 5x5
    Flat BB Bench Press - 5x5
    Pendlay Rows 3x5
    DB Rows 2x8
    Shrugs - 3x12
    Tricep Pushdown - 3x15

I plan on changing my routine once the offseason comes and I can lift more frequently

I do 3x5 on the first workout when I jump up a weight. If I have got the 3x5 successfully I then do 5x5 on the following workout and increase next week or I increase straight away
    Last edited by thenewguy23; 11-25-2012 at 11:00 PM.
    Bench: 255lbs (115kg)
    Squat: 320lbs (145kg)
    Deadlift: 430lbs (195kg)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will." Vince Lombardi.

DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by vuleje View Post
    Day 1. Legs

Barbell Full Squat: 5x8 (dont like going to heavy with 5 reps, i feel better with 8 reps and i have better form)
    Leg Extensions: 2x12
    Standing Leg Curl:3x12
    Good Morning: 2x15

Day 2. Push

Barbell Bench Press: 5-8x3-5 (adding weight every set i do it till i hit max with 3 reps)
    Peck Deck: 3x8
    Standing Military Press: 3x5
    Side Lateral Raise: 2x12
    Lying Barbell Triceps Extension Behind The Head superseted with Close-Grip Barbell Bench Press: 2x12
    Triceps Pushdown: 3x12

Day 3. Pull

Deadlift: 3x5 (2warm-ups, 1 working set)
    Pendlay Rows: 3x5
    Close-Grip Lat Pulldown: 3x8
    Seated Bent-Over Rear Delt Raise: 3x12
    Barbell Curl: 3x10
    Incline Hammer Curls: 2x12

Day 4. Rest
    Day 5. Legs
    Day 6.Push
    Day 7. Pull
    Day 8. Rest

Focusing on strenght and size, thinking to add Bench and Triceps short workout on rest days to increase Bench faster, but i dont know?
    Also i dont hit traps and calves, to short my workouts i dont have much time i will add them as soon i can.

If you are limited to short workouts then pick the most important exercises.

Legs day- Squat, Leg Press, Stiff Deadlift, Leg Curl (can superset LE)
    Push day - Bench, Incline, Side Raises, Lying Tricep Extension, Overhead Extension
    Pull Day - Deadlift, Barbell Row, Pullups, Rear Raises, Barbell Curl / Incline Curl

Legs,Push,Pull,off,Repeat is good; standard training routine. Maybe on your off days you can train your calves so you don't regret it one day! 3x5 is a good progression/strength based protocol. 3x8-12 is great for hypertrophy emphasis. Seems like you have everything in line.

Keep your rest periods around 1 minute or less;2 minutes before the real big exercises. You should be out rather quick

DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Singh1996 View Post
    Damn this thread is going to grow exponentially, I commend you on your efforts to better tbb

I find that if I didn't get at least 4 reps last session, there's no way I can move the weight up 5lbs and get 3 reps. I think you misread my poorly written description of what I'm doing as getting 4-5 sets of 4-5 reps. What I meant is before moving the weight up I try to get 4-5 reps for 4 working sets.

I'm not sure if what I'm doing qualifies as powerlifting, I'm not aiming for 1RMs. I cannot perform flat bench at all, it can destroy my shoulder after 6 repetitions of less than a plate. I've tried cable flies, dumbbell flies, flat barbell bench, flat dumbbell bench etc... all I can do for chest is incline barbell bench press and decline smith bench press without crippling myself.

I've never followed a proven training program. I had no idea how to change the program to suit my injury. Previous to it my dad didn't let me do squats or deadlifts, it seemed like that threw the majority (if not all) of the pre-made programs out the window.

Thanks.
    This is a rather difficult situation. Here is my suggestion : Train Full Body every other day . Focus on the Big Lifts that you Can Do . Follow a 3x5 scheme for the big compound lifts, and a 3x8 / 3x10 for the hypertrophy / isolation lifts.

Example:

Monday - Front Squat, Incline Barbell Bench , Barbell Row , Pullups, Barbell Curls , Tricep Extensions, Side/Rear Laterals etc.

I am not totally aware of all the exercises you can do. But pick about ~2 exercises maximum for the big muscle groups(Legs,Chest,Back) and ~1 exercise for the smaller muscle groups(Side Deltoid,Rear Deltoid,Bicep,Tricep)

If you can list out what exercises you CAN DO for each muscle group ; I can pick-and-sort for you what to do.

Originally Posted by thenewguy23 View Post
    Inseason Workout

I'm in my rugby season so I only lift twice a week, 3 times if I'm lucky. Goals are strength and mass, I progress linearly on the major compound lifts. Try to go up 5lbs a week on exercises

The main structure of my program is to do one major upper pushing exercise, one upper pulling exercise and then a compound leg exercise and follow that up with a more bodybuilding style workout. I also chuck in Olympic lifts here and there also.

WORKOUT A

Squat - 3x5
    Pendlay Rows - 3x5
    Shrugs - 3x12
    Chin-ups 3 sets max reps
    Curls 2 sets of 12

WORKOUT B

Pendlay Rows 3x5
    DB Rows 2x8
    Shrugs - 3x12
    Tricep Pushdown - 3x15

I plan on changing my routine once the offseason comes and I can lift more frequently

If you are in rugby season, can you not ask your coach for a more sport-specific program that won't interfere with your sport? Your sport should be your #1 priority if you are serious about it. I don't feel comfortable helping you until you seek council from somebody more qualified to give you advice on this.

AdCon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdCon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdCon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdCon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdCon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdCon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdCon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdCon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdCon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdCon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdCon is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    There are a few more pieces of information that need to be given:

1) What are your current lifts on the main movements? (Bench,Squat,Row,etc)

If I'm honest my lifts are nothing special. I've been limited to working out at my home gym and as of the moment I don't have all the equipment I need. Let's just say they're very average for a beginner, I don't know exact figures.
    2) How many sets, how many reps, how many are actually working sets

My reps vary for different exercises. I usually do anywhere between 5-10 reps for the main compounds; bench, squat, pull ups.. For isolations it varies. Leg extensions I aim for 15-20 but most of the time I stay in the 8-12 range.

Glancing at your program, it actually looks pretty solid. Some things you may want to change, is substituting Leg Extensions for heavy Leg Pressing to really hammer those quads with a taxing movement. Leg Press will improve your lower body much more than Leg Extensions will,especially as a beginner. Maybe you can simply use Leg extensions as an "after-thought" once you finish your Front Squats & Leg Pressing? I like your Leg day, if it were me I would have added a Romanian/Stiff Deadlift for the Hamstrings.
    I wish I could. Being at home I have no access to a leg press though, any alternatives?
    Push day looks pretty solid as well, you may consider having two side deltoid movements since they make up the bulk of your shoulder; Upright Rows+Side Laterals being a good example. sounds like a good idea. Are you saying to do upright rows on the push day then?
    I like your Pull day, it looks pretty good.

You set up a nice program! Just think about the very minor tweaks on Leg Day(adding in a Leg Press/Deadlift), as those are two staple moves of essentially every bodybuilder's training program. First and foremost, let us all know where you are at in your training though !
    ^ Responded in bold.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll consider it all!

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by thenewguy23 View Post
    Inseason Workout

WORKOUT A

Squat - 3x5
    Pendlay Rows - 3x5
    Shrugs - 3x12
    Chin-ups 3 sets max reps
    Curls 2 sets of 12

WORKOUT B

Pendlay Rows 3x5
    DB Rows 2x8
    Shrugs - 3x12
    Tricep Pushdown - 3x15

Damn lol. That is gorgeous. Did you get that from strengthcamp? I might actually get on that one.

If you are in rugby season, can you not ask your coach for a more sport-specific program that won't interfere with your sport? Your sport should be your #1 priority if you are serious about it. I don't feel comfortable helping you until you seek council from somebody more qualified to give you advice on this.
    This. Or you could probably email strengthcamp and talk to Chris. He's been a big help to me in my past. I think it's a pretty good routine. You could probably email Joe Defranco. I think email would be better than talking to your coach lol. These guys have trained countless college and pro level athletes.
    This post is Natypes approved.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

pfunk42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfunk42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfunk42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfunk42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfunk42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfunk42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfunk42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfunk42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfunk42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfunk42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfunk42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So Im part of my schools swim team, and heres my work out schedule

monday: Incline Bench Press: 4 x 8 reps
    Pull ups: 4 x 8 reps
    Weighted Wide Grip Dips: 3 x 10
    Cable Rows: 3 x 10
    Hanging Leg Raises: 3 x max reps
    Plank: 5 minutes total (as many sets as it takes)

swim practice(4-6)

tuesday:swim practice (430-6) Swim meets usually on this day

wednesday:Seated DB Shoulder Press: 4 x 8 reps
    Lateral Raises: 3 x 10 reps
    Bent Over Rear Delts: 3 x 10 reps
    Standing Dumbbell Curls: 4 x 8 reps
    Skull Crushers: 4 x 8 reps

swim practice (4-6)

thursday:swim practice (430-6) Swim meets usually on this day

friday:Incline Bench Press: 4 x 8 reps

is there something i need to change in my lifting. I hear that I need to do more reps but not sure what to do

Originally Posted by AdCon View Post
    ^ Responded in bold.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll consider it all!
    Back Squats,Front Squats,and Leg Extensions I suppose. Yes, do DB Upright Rows if you can; they will be safer than Barbells with regards to Shoulder Impingement. If you are still not happy with your strength, you may want to consider following a strength program as they will make you stronger than trying to make up your own routine. Just keep in mind, the more frequent you train a lift, the faster you will get strong at it.Bench,Squat,Row,etc as much as possible.

Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Singh1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is a rather difficult situation. Here is my suggestion : Train Full Body every other day . Focus on the Big Lifts that you Can Do . Follow a 3x5 scheme for the big compound lifts, and a 3x8 / 3x10 for the hypertrophy / isolation lifts.

Example:

Monday - Front Squat, Incline Barbell Bench , Barbell Row , Pullups, Barbell Curls , Tricep Extensions, Side/Rear Laterals etc.

I am not totally aware of all the exercises you can do. But pick about ~2 exercises maximum for the big muscle groups(Legs,Chest,Back) and ~1 exercise for the smaller muscle groups(Side Deltoid,Rear Deltoid,Bicep,Tricep)

If you can list out what exercises you CAN DO for each muscle group ; I can pick-and-sort for you what to do.
    Chest - Incline barbell, Decline Smith
    Back - Any sort of rowing movement. Nothing overhead, ie lat pull downs.
    Shoulders - Nothing
    Legs - Everything other than back squats
    Biceps - Everything
    Triceps - Everything but db overhead extensions
    Forearms - Everything
    Trapezius - Shrugs

No deadlifts.
    November 2013 Meet Lifts
    83kg Class
    145 Squat
    90 Bench
    170 Deadlift

Best Gym Lifts
    75kg Bodyweight
    145x2 Squat
    110 touch'n'go Bench
    190 Deadlift

Originally Posted by pfunk42 View Post
    So Im part of my schools swim team, and heres my work out schedule

monday: Incline Bench Press: 4 x 8 reps

swim practice(4-6)

tuesday:swim practice (430-6) Swim meets usually on this day

wednesday:Seated DB Shoulder Press: 4 x 8 reps
    Lateral Raises: 3 x 10 reps
    Bent Over Rear Delts: 3 x 10 reps
    Standing Dumbbell Curls: 4 x 8 reps
    Skull Crushers: 4 x 8 reps

swim practice (4-6)

thursday:swim practice (430-6) Swim meets usually on this day

friday:Incline Bench Press: 4 x 8 reps

is there something i need to change in my lifting. I hear that I need to do more reps but not sure what to do
    Goals?Current Lifts?Years of training Experience?

Originally Posted by Singh1996 View Post
    Chest - Incline barbell, Decline Smith
    Back - Any sort of rowing movement. Nothing overhead, ie lat pull downs.
    Shoulders - Nothing
    Legs - Everything other than back squats
    Biceps - Everything
    Triceps - Everything but db overhead extensions
    Forearms - Everything
    Trapezius - Shrugs

No deadlifts.

Incline Barbell Bench,Close Grip Bench(on Inc/Dec),Barbell Row,TBAR Row,Front Squats,Leg Press,Hamstring Curls,Barbell Curl/Incline Dumbbell Curl, Lying Tricep Extensions/Rope Pushdowns, Shrugs

Pick 1-2 exercises per muscle group(Quads,Hams,Chest,Tricep,Bicep,etc) and do it several times a week.

Example:

Monday - Incline Bench,Close Grip Decline; Front Squat,Leg Press,Leg Curl ; Barbell Row,TBAR Row ; Barbell Curl, Lying Tricep Extension
    Wednesday - Incline Bench,Close Grip Decline; Front Squat,Leg Press,Leg Curl ; Barbell Row,TBAR Row ; Barbell Curl, Lying Tricep Extension
    Friday - Incline Bench,Close Grip Decline; Front Squat,Leg Press,Leg Curl ; Barbell Row,TBAR Row ; Barbell Curl, Lying Tricep Extension

masprotein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masprotein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masprotein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masprotein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masprotein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This post is regarding a modified PHAT routine. My first question is why does phat have a one day rest between upper body workouts, but a two day rest between lower body? I was under the impression that legs recover faster and can take a more strenuous workload. PHAT says to do:
    Day 1: upper body power
    Day 2: lower body power
    Day 3: rest
    Day 4: shoulders/back hypertrophy
    Day 5: lower body hypertrophy
    Day 6: chest/arms hypertrophy
    Day 7: rest

•Wouldn't it make more sense to swap day 5 and day 6 to give more rest for both upper and lower body, but primarily upper? Anyways, how is my modified phat routine?

Day 1: Upper Body Power
    • Pressing Power Movement: Flat Barbell Bench Press
    3 sets of 3-5 reps
    • Assistance pressing movement: Seated DB Shoulder Press
    3 sets of 6-8 reps
    • Assistance pressing movement: Weighted Dips
    2 sets of 6-10 reps
    • Auxiliary extension movement: Skull Crushers
    2 sets of 8-10 reps
    • Pulling Power Movement: Bent Over Rows
    3 sets of 3-5 reps
    • Assistance Pulling movement: Weighted Pull Ups
    2 sets of 6-10 reps
    • Auxiliary Pulling movement: Dumbbell Rows
    2 sets of 6-8 reps
    • Auxiliary curling movement: EZ Bar Curls
    3 sets of 8-10 reps

Day 2: Lower Body Power
    • Power movement: Deadlift
    3 sets of 1-3 reps
    • Assistance pressing movement: Leg Press
    3 sets of 6-8 reps
    • Assistance extension movement: Leg Extensions
    3 sets of 10-12 reps
    • Assistance pulling movement: Stiff Legged Deadlifts
    3 sets of 5-8 reps
    • Assistance pulling movement: Lying Hamstring Curls
    3 sets of 10-12 reps

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy
    • Pulling Power Exercise: Bent Over Row
    3 sets of 5 reps
    • Hypertrophy pulling movement: Dumbbell Rows
    3 sets of 8-10 reps
    • Hypertrophy pulling movement: Hammer Strength Low Row Machine
    3 sets of 10-12 reps
    • Hypertrophy pulling movement: Lat Pull Downs
    2 sets of 12-15 reps
    • Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Seated Dumbbell Press
    3 sets of 8-12 reps
    • Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Upright Rows
    2 sets of 12-15 reps
    • Hypertrophy shoulder movement: DB Side Lateral Raises
    3 sets of 10-12 reps
    • Hypertrophy pulling movement: Dumbbell Shrugs
    3 sets of 12-15 reps

Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy
    • Lower Body Power Exercise: Squats
    3 sets of 3-5 reps
    • Hypertrophy pressing movement: Weighted DB Lunges
    3 sets of 8-10 reps
    • Hypertrophy pressing movement: Leg Press
    2 sets of 10-12 reps
    • Hypertrophy extension movement: Leg extensions
    2 sets of 12-15 reps
    • Hypertrophy pulling movement: Stiff Legged Dead Lifts
    3 sets of 6-8 reps
    • Hypertrophy curling movement: Leg curls
    4 sets of 12-15 reps

Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy
    • Pressing Power Exercise: Flat DB Bench
    3 sets of 6-8 reps
    • Hypertrophy pressing movement: Incline Dumbbell Press
    3 sets of 8-12 reps
    • Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hammer Strength Chest Press
    2 sets of 10-12 reps
    • Hypertrophy fly movement: Cable Flyes/Incline Seated Cable Flyes (alternating?)
    3 sets of 12-15 reps
    • Hypertrophy curling exercise: Hammer Strength Preacher Curl Machine
    3 sets of 8-12 reps
    • Hypertrophy curling exercise: Reverse grip EZ Bar Curls
    2 sets of 10-12 reps
    • Hypertrophy curling exercise: Seated DB Incline Curl
    2 sets of 12-15 reps
    • Hypertrophy extension exercise: Seated DB Tricep Press
    3 sets of 8-10 reps
    • Hypertrophy extension exercise: Tricep Pushdown (rope variation)
    3 sets of 10-12 reps
    • Hypertrophy extension exercise: Cable Kickbacks
    2 sets of 12-15 reps

Day 7: Rest

Points of interest:
    • I don't train calves because my genetics gave me giant-manly calves without ever working them out.
    • On Day 6, should I choose between incline flyes and regular flyes, or continue alternating each week?
    • Upright Rows will frequently give me a "twinge"-like feeling in my left rotator cuff. Should I cut this exercise out, replace it, or lower the weight? I'm already lifting pretty light on it and aim for 15 reps each set (40lbs).
    • On Day 1 and 4, what can I replace DB Row with? My gym only has DBs that go up to 100lbs and I will using the 100s very soon. Maybe hammer strength high row machine?
    • 1-3 times a week I'll do a 5k run, usually on upper body days or rest days. This shouldn't affect anything as long as I eat calories to replace those burned?

I want to thank SamSix for posting the initial modifications.

Any corrections/advice is welcome. Thanks.

Jul031 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Legs first, then Chest, then Back. Having a day in between would be better. Yes, do another row instead of having 3 pulldowns. Yes, you don't need more front deltoid work. In general, I would drop the volume of everything you are doing significantly. You don't need 3 working sets on everything, that's WAY too much volume. Try 1-2 working sets top on everything
    Day 1 (Legs, calves)
    Squat 2 X 8-12
    One leg leg press 3 X 8-12
    Leg extensions 3 X 8-12
    Deadlift 2 X 8-12
    Lying leg curl 2 X 8-12
    Standing calf raise 3 X 15-25
    Seated calf raise 3 X 15-25
    Calf on the leg press 3 X 15-25

Day 2 (Chest-triceps-shoulders-traps)
    Bench press 2 X 8-12
    Incline bench press 2 X 8-12
    Incline dumbbell flyes 2 X 8-12
    Triceps pushdown 3 X 8-12
    Skull crushers 2 X 8-12
    Cable overhead triceps extension 2 X 8-12
    Shoulder press 3 X 8-12
    Lateral raise 2 X 8-12
    High cable rear delt flyes 2 X 8-12 *
    Barbbell shrugs 3 X 8-12

Day 3 (Back - Biceps - Abs)
    Dumbell row 3 X 8-12
    Wide-grip pulldown 2 X 8-12
    TBAR Row 2 X 8-12 *
    Straight arm pulldown 3 X 8-12
    Barbbell curl 3 X 6-12
    Incline dumbbell curl 2 X 8-12
    Preacher curl 2 X 8-12 *

So I drop some exercices to 2 reps and change some exercice too like the one for the delt (High cable rear delt flyes) and one for the biceps (Preacher curl). Also, is this ok to keep the 3 exercices that I have with 3 sets for the calves?
    Thanks again!

AlexRowell will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexRowell will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexRowell will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexRowell will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexRowell will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexRowell will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexRowell will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexRowell will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexRowell will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexRowell will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexRowell will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Looking to do this Push/Pull/Legs routine after Christmas in my new home gym. I have a squat rack, a bench, back extension, pull-up and dip station, Olympic bar and ez bar, dumbbells. Looking to purchase a t-bar row asap. I can't deadlift. All working sets.

Chest, Front/Side Delts & Triceps

BB Flat Bench 3x3
    DB Incline Bench 3x8
    BW/Weighted Dip 3x8
    Lying Triceps Press 3x8
    Overhead Triceps Press 3x8
    DB Lateral Raise 3x8

Upper Back, Traps, Rear Delts & Biceps

BW/Weighted Pull-Up 4x8
    One-Arm Row 4x8
    BB Shrug 4x8
    DB Rear Delt Fly 4x8
    EZ-Bar Curl 3x8
    DB Curl 3x8

Legs & Lower Back

Back Extension 3x8
    BB Back Squat 3x3, 3x8
    BB Front Squat 3x3, 3x8
    DB/BB Glute Ham Raise 3x8
    BB Seated Calf Raise 3x8
    BB Standing Calf Raise 3x8

I will be giving some answers later tonight; around 9:00-11:00 pacific time.

Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Also it would be nice if more people can contribute to the thread in this section. People are coming here for advice because they don't know what to do. This doesn't mean you have to hold their hand; you can even direct to them a sticky link. I just feel like I am the only one answering questions right now. Help me out TBB ! Thanks
    all help ya out

Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000) Whitekoala is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by AlexRowell View Post
    Looking to do this Push/Pull/Legs routine after Christmas in my new home gym. I have a squat rack, a bench, back extension, pull-up and dip station, Olympic bar and ez bar, dumbbells. Looking to purchase a t-bar row asap. I can't deadlift. All working sets.

Chest, Front/Side Delts & Triceps

BB Flat Bench 3x3
    DB Incline Bench 3x8
    BW/Weighted Dip 3x8
    Lying Triceps Press 3x8
    Overhead Triceps Press 3x8
    DB Lateral Raise 3x8

Upper Back, Traps, Rear Delts & Biceps

BW/Weighted Pull-Up 4x8
    One-Arm Row 4x8
    BB Shrug 4x8
    DB Rear Delt Fly 4x8
    EZ-Bar Curl 3x8
    DB Curl 3x8

Legs & Lower Back

Back Extension 3x8
    BB Back Squat 3x3, 3x8
    BB Front Squat 3x3, 3x8
    DB/BB Glute Ham Raise 3x8
    BB Seated Calf Raise 3x8
    BB Standing Calf Raise 3x8
    I really hope when you say 3 sets by 8 reps. Thats including 1 warmup set. I hope your not doing 3 working sets. 1-2 working sets is enough.

I would switch out db lateral raise, with barbell upright row.

Also i would get rid of weighted dips if i were you. In my opinion close grip bench is a much better exercise for the triceps. I hope thats why your doing dips for.

Dips are very,very hard on the joints/tendons and shoulders

Incline Barbell Bench,Close Grip Bench(on Inc/Dec),Barbell Row,TBAR Row,Front Squats,Leg Press,Hamstring Curls,Barbell Curl/Incline Dumbbell Curl, Lying Tricep Extensions/Rope Pushdowns, Shrugs

Pick 1-2 exercises per muscle group(Quads,Hams,Chest,Tricep,Bicep,etc) and do it several times a week.

Example:

Monday - Incline Bench,Close Grip Decline; Front Squat,Leg Press,Leg Curl ; Barbell Row,TBAR Row ; Barbell Curl, Lying Tricep Extension
    Wednesday - Incline Bench,Close Grip Decline; Front Squat,Leg Press,Leg Curl ; Barbell Row,TBAR Row ; Barbell Curl, Lying Tricep Extension
    Friday - Incline Bench,Close Grip Decline; Front Squat,Leg Press,Leg Curl ; Barbell Row,TBAR Row ; Barbell Curl, Lying Tricep Extension

Thanks man, you're money. Repped.

Can't wait to see the results!! Will start tomorrow!
    November 2013 Meet Lifts
    83kg Class
    145 Squat
    90 Bench
    170 Deadlift

Best Gym Lifts
    75kg Bodyweight
    145x2 Squat
    110 touch'n'go Bench
    190 Deadlift

Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm interested in your opinion on PHAT. Also your opinion on a modification of PHAT. The exercises and sets would be the same on hypertrophy days just with higher reps.
    Upper power
    Lower power
    Rest
    Upper hypertrophy
    Lower hypertrophy
    Full body
    Rest
    snapchat:bach225
    U.S. Army 13F
    ++ Positive Crew ++
    ★ DEADLIFT CREW ★
    +Ohio til I die crew+

bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Basketball22 View Post
    I'm interested in your opinion on PHAT. Also your opinion on a modification of PHAT. The exercises and sets would be the same on hypertrophy days just with higher reps.
    Upper power
    Lower power
    Rest
    Upper hypertrophy
    Lower hypertrophy
    Full body
    Rest
    ask kanevsky he follows the exact same program

Message Board King DoWorkSon515's Avatar
    DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm doing a modified version of PHAT that I saw someone else post a while back. How does it look?

Monday - Upper power
    Tuesday - Lower power
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - Chest/Arms hypertrophy
    Friday - Legs hypertrophy
    Saturday - Back/Shoulders hypertrophy

I've been running it for a few weeks and I really like it. I know most people will say that it's difficult to work your back and shoulders effectively on the same day but my back is my most well developed muscle group and I think my exercise selection is very efficient for both groups.

n1ckhand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n1ckhand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n1ckhand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n1ckhand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n1ckhand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    strength routine, workout A rest day workout B rest day etc.
    17yr 6'0 173lb
    400 cal surplus
    reps/sets listed are working sets
    help me improve

A)
    back squat 5x5 160
    Bench 5x5 135
    reverse grip bent over barbell row 5x5 120
    dumbell shrug 3x8 2 55's
    tricep pulldown 3x8 40
    Pull up 5x5 bw
    behind the back barbell forearm curl 3x8 75
    hyperextension 3x10 holding 40lbs
    calve extensions on the leg press 3x8-12 220
    8 min abs at home with planks added (definitely need better ab workouts)

B)
    back squat 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5 195
    Seated military press 5x5 100
    reverse grip bent over barbell row 5x5
    close grip bench 3x8 115
    barbell curl 3x8 60
    behind the back forearm curl 3x8
    calve extension on the leg press 3x8-12
    8 min abs + planks

carter423 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) carter423 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Monday Wednesday and Friday
    Deadlift 2x5
    Shoulder press 2x6
    Pull up 2x8
    Rows 2x6

Tuesday and Thursday
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Hang cleans 2x5
    Pulls downs 2x12

I'm training for strength. at the end of each dead lift session I do weighted crunches and hanging leg raises.
    I eat an excess of 4000 calories every day drink half a gallon of milk.

SyphilisBrah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SyphilisBrah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SyphilisBrah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SyphilisBrah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SyphilisBrah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SyphilisBrah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SyphilisBrah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SyphilisBrah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SyphilisBrah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SyphilisBrah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SyphilisBrah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    lol

OP is one of the biggest frauds on the internet.
    He has never posted a single picture of him, and on ones that are actually him, he is either 40% body fat, or skinny fat. He gets off on the "fact" that his e stat bench is high, and that his gym is supposedly filled with strong people.

you are better off taking advice on walking from a paraplegic since birth than taking OPs lifting advice.

carter423 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) carter423 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by SyphilisBrah View Post
    lol

He has never posted a single picture of him, and on ones that are actually him, he is either 40% body fat, or skinny fat. He gets off on the "fact" that his e stat bench is high, and that his gym is supposedly filled with strong people.

you are better off taking advice on walking from a paraplegic since birth than taking OPs lifting advice.
    Strong name to post content ratio.

Registered Sikkunt itwasntme184's Avatar
    itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just made this one, thoughts?

Legs A
    Push A
    Pull A
    Legs B
    Push B
    Pull B
    Rest

^ Repeat

Legs A
    Front Squats 5/3/1
    Leg Press 3x12
    RDL 3x12
    Leg Ext 2x12
    Standing Calf Raises 4x12
    Abs

Push A
    BB Flat Bench 5/3/1
    DB Incline Bench 3x8-12
    Cable Flies 3x12-15
    Skullcrushers 3x8-12
    Upright Row 3x12-15
    Tricep Pushdowns 3x12-15

Pull A
    Pendlay Row 5/3/1
    One-Arm Bent Over Row 3x8-12
    Seated Row 3x8-12
    BB Curls 3x10-12
    Hammer Curls 2x10-12
    Facepulls 3x12-15

Legs B
    Sumo Deadlift 5/3/1
    Split Squats 3x8-12
    Leg Press 3x12
    Leg Curls 3x8-12
    Standing Calf Raises 3x12
    Seated Calf Raises 2x12
    Abs

Push B
    OHP 5/3/1
    DB Flat Bench 3x8-12
    Chest Dips 3x8-12
    French Press 3x8-12
    Tricep Pushdowns 3x12-15
    Lateral Raises 3x12-15

Pull B
    Pullups 3x8-12
    T-bar Row 3x8-12
    CG Reverse Pulldowns 2x12-15
    DB Incline Curls 3x8-12
    DB Concentration Curls 2x12-15
    Shrugs 3x8-12

Training: 26 months, mostly hypertrophy based, 5/3/1 for strength prog on big lifts doe.
    Every aspiring lad wants to be a bodybuilder, but by George, nobody wants to elevate these burdensome weights.

★★★TBB FB Chat Crew★★★

Makin' all kinds of gains mrjoboto's Avatar
    mrjoboto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bit of background, been lifting solidly for 1.5 years now, started on a bro split, made pretty big strength gains on SS for a good 4-5 months, and then 5/3/1 with a bodybuilding split until I saw my physio about a back injury. After this started floating around with routines feeling a little lost because I couldn't squat/deadlift and plateaued for a good 5 months until the middle of this year. Got a bit of motivation back on a legs/push/pull routine I made up and it's been going great for the last couple months. However I'm looking to change it up now because:

1. Started training with my 15 year old brother about 6 weeks ago, don't want him caught up with suboptimal training for his potential
    2. My emphasis lately has been on hypertrophy due to limitations in doing straight strength training
    3. After seeing a better physio lately I can squat again, but he is still recommending laying off deadlifting (even bent-over rows stiffen up my back quickly)
    4. Therefore I want to re-incorporate strength style training
    5. Limited to 3 day split, 4th day left as 'optional'

Physique Weak Points:
    1. Upper chest (mainly from powerlifting-style bench)
    2. Back width
    3. Hamstrings
    4. Arms (especially triceps)..

Genetically my families' legs are ridiculous and so I don't want to put too much emphasis on them right now (finding pants that fit sucks right now)

So basically I have come up with a routine that works with bringing up my weak points (physique-wise), working around my injuries/rehab (back + shoulders) plus giving my brother a solid foundation, while still gaining strength:

Upper/Lower w/5x5 for main lifts

Monday - Upper A
    5x5 - Incline BB Press
    3x8-10 - Flat DB Press
    5x5 - Elevated Pendlay Row
    3x8-10 - Lat Pulldown
    3x6-10 - Alternating DB Curl
    FST-7 style machine preacher curls*

Tuesday - Lower A
    5x5 - Squat
    3x10-12 - Leg Press
    3-5x12 - Lying Leg Curl
    3x12-15 - Hyperextension
    3-5x12 - Calf Raise Variant

Thursday - Upper B
    5x5 - Elevated Pendlay Row
    3x8-10 - Lat Pulldown
    3x15 - Face Pulls
    5x5 - Overhead Press OR 3x8-10 Seated DB Shoulder Press
    3x8-10 - Incline DB Press
    3x6-10 - V-bar pressdown
    FST-7 style overhead cable tricep extensions*

Saturday - Lower B (optional)
    5x5 - Squat
    3x8-10 - Hack Squat
    3x12-15 - Hyperextension
    3x10-12 - Glute Ham Raise/DB Romanian Deadlift
    3-5x12 - Calf Raise variant

Ab work is scattered but pretty consistent with hanging leg raises, dragon flags and normal crunches.

*The volume training has been working awesomely for bringing up my arms in the last couple months, put on a good inch in the last 3 or so months.

Issues I'm contemplating
    1. A pressing issue (literally) is that I'm not sure whether it would be more beneficial to reincorporate flat barbell bench as my main chest movement and follow it up with incline DB bench instead..
    2. To try lessen time in the gym I'm wondering whether 4x6 rep scheme would be better than 5x5. Not a major one I guess.

Critique?
    Last edited by mrjoboto; 11-25-2012 at 08:47 PM.
    Powerbuilding.

Current maxes (metric system yo):
    Squat - 150
    Bench - 125
    DL - 160 (last done 3/12, back issues)

SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SyphilisBrah View Post
    lol

lol you're such a mad kunt

strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000)
    At the moment I do this workout eod:

Chest[8-20] - 6-8sets of Incline, 3-4sets of Dips, 3-4sets of standingCableFlyes, and 3-4sets of BB Pullovers.

Back[20] - 3-4sets of Chins, 6-8sets of bentOverRows, 6-8sets of WG pullDowns, 3-4sets of goodMornings, and 6-8sets of SLDLs.

Tri's[8-20] - 3-4sets of RG Presses, 6-8sets of skullCrushers, 3-4sets of Dips, 3-4sets of ropeExtensions (dropSets).

Bi's[8-20] - 3sets CG Curls, 3sets of WG Curls, 3-4sets of preacherCurls/spiderCurls, 3-4sets of cableCurls, 3-4sets of hammerCurls (dropSets).

**** legs.