Closed Thread
    jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein shake makes me sleepy

Does anyone else have this problem? No matter what time I take it, it makes me feel tired and sleepy. Whats the deal?

BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    NO,
    I actually have one every morning and it wakes me up
    Top Secret Nutrition
    Vice President of Sales
    Alex@TopSecretNutrition.com

Contest Prep Coach
    Workout and Nutrition Programs
    AlexBigStew@gmail.com

jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwright2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BigStew View Post
    NO,
    I actually have one every morning and it wakes me up
    What do you put in yours? I put a scoop, sometimes a banana, 2 spoons of PB, and a cup of oats. Is it too heavy or something? Its a good source of protein in the morning since I dont have time for breakfast so I need to figure out whats going on here.

eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jwright2 View Post
    What do you put in yours? I put a scoop, sometimes a banana, 2 spoons of PB, and a cup of oats. Is it too heavy or something? Its a good source of protein in the morning since I dont have time for breakfast so I need to figure out whats going on here.
    From the info you're giving, it doesn't sound like protein is your problem. Your shake sounds less of a protein shake, more of a MRP shake. Without the banana, you're getting close to 30g carbs in there, and if you add the banana, you're now approaching 60g.

Try reducing carbs, that should help.
    /
    -----> If something I said amused, informed, or entertained you, click that white scale-ish icon doohickey on the left. Reps are appreciated, and I rep back! <-----

owe reps to: <your name here>

jerkamania is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jerkamania is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jerkamania is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jerkamania is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jerkamania is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jerkamania is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jerkamania is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jerkamania is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jerkamania is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jerkamania is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jerkamania is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I dont get it....When ppl say they add bananas or stuff into their shakes, they mean blend it in or just throw it into the cup or bottle? lol

eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jerkamania View Post
    I dont get it....When ppl say they add bananas or stuff into their shakes, they mean blend it in or just throw it into the cup or bottle? lol
    Blend for bananas and pb. Oats you can either blend or cook then blend. Personally I prefer the latter. I only supplement my shakes like that when I'm bulking though. It's a great way to add a lot of calories to your diet quickly.

I use a blender with most of my shakes. For my PWO, I actually blend first, then put it in the shaker bottle and take it to the gym. I shake it up again (and add creatine) before I drink it.
    /
    -----> If something I said amused, informed, or entertained you, click that white scale-ish icon doohickey on the left. Reps are appreciated, and I rep back! <-----

ironman300lb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironman300lb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironman300lb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironman300lb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironman300lb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironman300lb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironman300lb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironman300lb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironman300lb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironman300lb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironman300lb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I put milk in with my shake at night and it makes me sleepy.

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Take 2 scoops with just water.

Originally Posted by johnnyironboard View Post
    Take 2 scoops with just water.
    This helped...thanks!

Blackout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackout is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wash the rohypnol residue out of your blender after each weekend.

I dont use a blender, I use either a spoon or one of those handheld blending stick things.

24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Protein Shake Makes Me Sleepy?

Answer: Tryptophan.

Tyrptophan is an amino acid that your body uses to make the hormone melatonin and the neurotransmitter serotonin.

Melatonin is produced by your body (pineal gland to be specific) before you fall asleep. The pineal gland controls sleep/wake cyclesand your body's internal clock. When your body notices that things around you are getting darker, your body naturally produces more melatonin. Melatonin is respondible for making you drowsy.
    Serotonin will make you fatigued.

Also, working out puts a lot of stress on the body so you should naturally be fatigued after a workout. Sometimes it can be the complete opposite htough, if one is exhibiting lots of eustress and epinephrine because they feel so pumped and exhilirated. Personally, I find that working out keeps me grounded, and is a great way to actually releive stress (distress) and make me feel better.

Tryptophan in foods (high content):

1.) Chicken breast (3oz.): 326mg.
    2.) Turkey (3oz.): 267mg
    3.) Milk (1cup): 113mg
    4.) Cheddar cheese (1oz): 91mg
    5.) Cottage cheese (1cup): 312mg
    6.) Beef (3oz.): 243mg

Tryptophan in foods (low content):

1.) Banana (1): 14mg
    2.) Corn (1/2 cup): 19mg
    3.) Pear (1): 17mg
    4.) Avocado (1): 45mg

Poultry and meats tend to be high in tryptophan, and foods such as fruits and vegetables are low in tryptophan. Anyhow, you would have to eat like five or more servings of turkey before you get the effect of drowsiness unless you are sensitive to tryptophan. Protein powders typically have larger amounts of amino acid profiles (including tryptophan) so this could be why.

Suggestions: Check out the nutrition label on the protein powder you have and read the tryptophan content. Do I think you should cut out the shakes because of the fatigue and drowsiness? No, at least not unless it is severe enough to cause harm such as make driving unsafe for you.
    Last edited by 24/7 Study; 03-22-2007 at 04:46 PM.

24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10) 24/7 Study is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool

I'm glad that I had the opportunity to be the first person to discuss the effects of tryptophan and its connection to melatonin and serotonin. Always gotta love being the first person to mention something

Anyhow, theres your answer. Got any questions?

Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    Wash the rohypnol residue out of your blender after each weekend.
    Nice
    Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage.- Ray Bradbury

Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500)
    whey is very insulinogenic, maybe its causing your blood sugar to crash...
    Maybe it's hatred I spew, maybe it's food for the spirit
    Maybe it's beautiful music I made for you to just cherish
    But I'm debated disputed hated and viewed in America
    as a motherf**kin drug addict - like you didn't experiment?
    Now now, that's when you start to stare at who's in the mirror
    and see yourself as a kid again, and you get embarrased
    And I got nothin to do but make you look stupid as parents
    You f**kin do-gooders - too bad you couldn't do good at marriage!

Tired of being lied to resurrected's Avatar
    resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000)
    Does anyone else have this problem? No matter what time I take it, it makes me feel tired and sleepy. Whats the deal?
    How many carbs in it? I get that way as I crash.

24/7 thanks a bunch for that info, very helpful.

I'll have to read the bottle again on how many carbs are in it, but its the ON Whey Vanilla flavor.

EDIT: 4g of carbs in ON.
    Last edited by jwright2; 03-23-2007 at 08:29 AM.

Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500)

I'll have to read the bottle again on how many carbs are in it, but its the ON Whey Vanilla flavor.

its most likely from the insulin spike whey gives
    Maybe it's hatred I spew, maybe it's food for the spirit
    Maybe it's beautiful music I made for you to just cherish
    But I'm debated disputed hated and viewed in America
    as a motherf**kin drug addict - like you didn't experiment?
    Now now, that's when you start to stare at who's in the mirror
    and see yourself as a kid again, and you get embarrased
    And I got nothin to do but make you look stupid as parents
    You f**kin do-gooders - too bad you couldn't do good at marriage!

ON Whey is pretty low on carbs... probably around 4g per scoop.
    /

I know this thread is outdated Sockomolo, but I just looked at my rep points from people. You told me to pull my head out of my ass, and you neg repped me. I wasn't rude, and I did nothing wrong. So tell me why did you neg rep me? I am curious.

NITIN3344 is not very well liked. (-100) NITIN3344 is not very well liked. (-100) NITIN3344 is not very well liked. (-100) NITIN3344 is not very well liked. (-100) NITIN3344 is not very well liked. (-100) NITIN3344 is not very well liked. (-100) NITIN3344 is not very well liked. (-100) NITIN3344 is not very well liked. (-100) NITIN3344 is not very well liked. (-100) NITIN3344 is not very well liked. (-100) NITIN3344 is not very well liked. (-100)

feeling lazy and getting much sleep

actully nowadayz i am taking mblaze craetinie monohydarade and also mblaze whey protien . actuuly my point is that i am feeeling lazy why . can u give some how i tak protien creatinie both and i want to know also diet with it plzz

estideneg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

i take muscle pharm whey with water and banana and every time i have to sleep after..make me sleepy

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by estideneg View Post
    i take muscle pharm whey with water and banana and every time i have to sleep after..make me sleepy
    That's because your shake causes a larger increase in blood glucose and insulin.

Adding peanut butter will make it better. Removing the banana even better.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/