GT98 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Seattle Area Trainer. Need Advice

Hey all

Is been a while since I posted on here but I need some advice on the next step. I'm currently an assistant fitness manager for a big box gym in Seattle and its come to that time where I'm ready to get out of the big gyms because the pay is not worth the hours and stress. I'm ready to move to a more sports specific training position that is salaried or does not have sales quotas PERIOD. Going private is an option but being a head trainer has its perks (being in charge, meeting people and picking and choosing their trainer, getting to focus on the business side of things, etc.). Perhaps training at a university?

Im approaching 30 years old and it's time to be a part of something bigger in this industry. Any thoughts? Connections? Thanks a lot everyone.
    Last edited by GT98; 01-12-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Anyone?

jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Unless you're a strength and conditioning coach, it is highly doubtful that you'll find a sports specific training facility where you make salary.

I have no experience training outside of my college's fitness center so take what I have with a grain of salt, but see if you can get a head trainer job somewhere before jumping out on your own. If you have little experience marketing yourself and making sales, going private right now is probably a bad idea.

What's your certification in?

Originally Posted by jalundah View Post
    Unless you're a strength and conditioning coach, it is highly doubtful that you'll find a sports specific training facility where you make salary.

I have no experience training outside of my college's fitness center so take what I have with a grain of salt, but see if you can get a head trainer job somewhere before jumping out on your own. If you have little experience marketing yourself and making sales, going private right now is probably a bad idea.

What's your certification in?
    I have:
    NASM-CPT
    NASM-PES
    Dotfit
    Apex Bodybugg

And I got my my Masters Degree in Business Administration with plans be on my own. I'm currently one of 3 head trainers in charge of a staff of 30 trainers at my gym. At this point in my career it's time to step away from the corporate gyms (too much stress and quotas for very little pay) but you are right about needing that extra bit of education to pull a salaried training position. Do you guys know of the best place to search for careers in the sports specific field? Thanks.

Ok so how about this question...would it be worth it to get my masters in exercises science?

jobodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Maybe pull an internship or adjunct professor at a college for some experience and GREAT networking ops. When I did my internship, it opened some pretty amazing doors for me!

Originally Posted by jobodybuilder View Post
    Maybe pull an internship or adjunct professor at a college for some experience and GREAT networking ops. When I did my internship, it opened some pretty amazing doors for me!
    That's a great idea. It's really about who you know. Maybe start networking with doctors and physical therapists in the area to get my name out there.

Rehashing my old thread. Looking to train some clients at a studio VERY part time as this is going to be my second job. Doing functional rehab at a wellness center but I don't wanna give up training. Any recommendations on a studio in north Seattle area? I've been searching myself but I figured someone on here has personal experience with a studio. Thanks.

Originally Posted by GT98 View Post
    Rehashing my old thread. Looking to train some clients at a studio VERY part time as this is going to be my second job. Doing functional rehab at a wellness center but I don't wanna give up training. Any recommendations on a studio in north Seattle area? I've been searching myself but I figured someone on here has personal experience with a studio. Thanks.
    Bump