Registered User MenaceToSociety's Avatar
    MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000)

Wide grip upright row, safe or dangerous

Well as the title basically says, I started doing them about 2 weeks ago because i heard they work your rear dealts very well. But i also heard heard they are very bad for your shoulder joints. I've never gotten any bad pain from it except soreness in my delts. I do moderate weight 15 reps and i dont go any higher than my nipple line, and i pause at the top for 1 second and just go down controllably.

But i'd like to hear some some opinions on what people think about this exercise.
    Last edited by MenaceToSociety; 02-06-2010 at 01:09 PM.
    "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."

"Life is what you make of it"

500+

kaizer27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaizer27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaizer27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaizer27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaizer27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaizer27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaizer27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaizer27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaizer27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaizer27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaizer27 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have had shoulder surgery twice, and they don't both me at all. I do them on an ez-curl bar with my index fingers at the first kink, so wide but not crazy.

Doing them closer, more traditional placement, kills my shoulders.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    wide grip upright row, is primarily a delt exercise, and isn't linked to causing shoulder problems.

close grip upright row, is primarily a trap exercise, and is commonly linked to causing shoulder problems.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    If you can perform them pain free, you're good to go. If at some point thy cause shoulder discomfort, drop them and move on.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Volumizing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Volumizing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Volumizing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Volumizing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Volumizing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Volumizing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Volumizing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Volumizing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Volumizing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Volumizing is on a distinguished road. (+10) Volumizing is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    wide grip upright row, is primarily a delt exercise, and isn't linked to causing shoulder problems.

close grip upright row, is primarily a trap exercise, and is commonly linked to causing shoulder problems.
    This.
    Are you eating while you're reading this? You should be.

SoCal Mustang Mach1 V8 IamJames's Avatar
    IamJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

^^ I have very sensitive shoulders (RC issues) and the wide grip doesn't bother me much at all. As Chazzy mentioned above, close grip has been known to cause more shoulder pain compared to wide grip as in my case.

As I learned from watching Charles Glass videos, I lean forward a bit doing them and only bring the bar up to my sternum and concentrate on pulling the elbows up. You do not have to go any higher up and correctly performed will burn like hell.

Here is the link to his video: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glasscut1.htm

Good luck.
    Whey Protein.......AST 32x multi-vitamin......fish oil

Registered User MenaceToSociety's Avatar
    MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000) MenaceToSociety is just really nice. (+1000)
    Alright thank for all for the feedback, This actually makes me feel a bit more comfortable about doing them.
    "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."

"Life is what you make of it"

500+

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    If you can perform them pain free, you're good to go. If at some point thy cause shoulder discomfort, drop them and move on.
    Originally Posted by IamJames View Post
    ^^ I have very sensitive shoulders (RC issues) and the wide grip doesn't bother me much at all. As Chazzy mentioned above, close grip has been known to cause more shoulder pain compared to wide grip as in my case.

As I learned from watching Charles Glass videos, I lean forward a bit doing them and only bring the bar up to my sternum and concentrate on pulling the elbows up. You do not have to go any higher up and correctly performed will burn like hell.

Here is the link to his video: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glasscut1.htm

Good luck.
    A few very good responses and i can only agree^^

I have done these regularly for the last 8 -10 weeks and have found them to be very effective for the delts, these can develop for good width for the shoulders and they dont have to be done real heavy either. I only do lightish weight and for 12-15 reps but like i said no pain, and good development so im good to go.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~