Scones for PWO Carbs foreverascone's Avatar
    foreverascone will become famous soon enough. (+50) foreverascone will become famous soon enough. (+50) foreverascone will become famous soon enough. (+50) foreverascone will become famous soon enough. (+50) foreverascone will become famous soon enough. (+50) foreverascone will become famous soon enough. (+50) foreverascone will become famous soon enough. (+50) foreverascone will become famous soon enough. (+50) foreverascone will become famous soon enough. (+50) foreverascone will become famous soon enough. (+50) foreverascone will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Deadlifting every other day

How smart or stupid is it to deadlift every other day with low volume and high intensity and trying to set PRs every time, especially when your DL work sets are weak, in the 300s to 400s? I guess when I get into the 500s it would be difficult to do so, but the with lower weights it doesn't seem too implausible.

shawnstev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawnstev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawnstev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawnstev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawnstev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawnstev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawnstev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawnstev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawnstev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawnstev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawnstev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by foreverascone View Post
    How smart or stupid is it to deadlift every other day with low volume and high intensity and trying to set PRs every time, especially when your DL work sets are weak, in the 300s to 400s? I guess when I get into the 500s it would be difficult to do so, but the with lower weights it doesn't seem too implausible.
    It might work for a couple weeks but then you'd burn out or, worse yet, get hurt. As long as you watch your back I don't see a problem with it.

You won't be able to do this for months though.
    5/3/1 + p90x lean plan: http://gympilot.com/PublicProfile/shawnstev

DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It can be done, but it's something I wouldn't rush into. Try building up your workload a bit more every week until it's easier to pull with more frequency.

I know a 50 year-old guy who has deadlifted heavy 7 days in a row, and many great pullers deadlift 2x or more a week (Benni, Tom Martin, Lamar Gant, etc).

lts1ow is just really nice. (+1000) lts1ow is just really nice. (+1000) lts1ow is just really nice. (+1000) lts1ow is just really nice. (+1000) lts1ow is just really nice. (+1000) lts1ow is just really nice. (+1000) lts1ow is just really nice. (+1000) lts1ow is just really nice. (+1000) lts1ow is just really nice. (+1000) lts1ow is just really nice. (+1000) lts1ow is just really nice. (+1000)
    Seems like a real easy way to tire yourself out, get lazy on form, and hurt your back on a PR attempt.
    200/165/270
    Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Intense as fuk bro austin.j.taylor's Avatar
    austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would think you would need to rotate between rack pulls on one day then deficit deads to the knees on the next and then maybe normal deads the next session and rotate. I wouldnt recommend that though. Most people in your strength range can benefit farther from squatting 2 times a week and deadlifting once.
    ★cVc★

My Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174578931

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    id say its more stupid than smart. In a way it just seems like trying to get something for nothing. Why try to keep maxing if u have done nothing to warrant a higher max. Seems youd very quickly run out of gains and grind to a halt and fry your central nervous system

Max dead attempts r VERY draining
    "Humility comes before honor"

Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Start LIGHT and EASY! Like DAMN easy! Start doing 225 or 275 for 5*5 and pay attention to what you are feeling. Don't max, what good is maxing? It doesn't make you strong! Volume makes you strong.
    Last edited by Squinky; 06-23-2011 at 01:46 PM.

UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Try it, I don't think you will make it past week 1. lol.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Why not just choose a program that's been proven to give results?
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    trying to set PRs every time is a terrible idea.
    Aesthetic goals: achieve doyouevenliftmode

andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My friend would pull 4 times a week. He holds the APA world record for a 600 lb DL at 19. He now pulls in the upper 6's.

It depends on the person and how fast you can recover, your diet, how much you sleep, etc.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender.

SQ:455
    BP:265
    DL:545

brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
    Don't max, what good is maxing? It doesn't make you strong! Volume makes you strong.
    That's quite a claim.

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    Why not just choose a program that's been proven to give results?
    ^^^

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by andom View Post
    My friend would pull 4 times a week. He holds the APA world record for a 600 lb DL at 19. He now pulls in the upper 6's.
    yeah, but was he MAXING 4x per week?
    "Humility comes before honor"

Jethro1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with big tall ox and the one who mentioned the squats. You will find examples from "both sides of the tracks." Don Blue in the '60's had nothing more to work with than 300lbs or so and ended up being the strongest little dead lifter of his time for his weight class. There are other clear (and more common) examples that are proven. Conjugate (basically Westside) is proven. Other programs as well. Research the strongest men in history and find out how they got there. The best advise someone ever gave me was to lift heavy weights (correctly), be patient, eat, and pay attention. Good luck.

Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by brudman View Post
    That's quite a claim.
    It's not a claim, it's a fact. But you are 190 pounds, what can you know. It's like you have never even trained.

brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's not a claim, it's a fact. But you are 190 pounds, what can you know. It's like you have never even trained.
    Good one. I've seen a lot of guys get plenty strong on Starting Strength and 5x5. Is that because of the insane volume?

dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That's quite a claim.
    He's quite the moron.
    sponsored by Bulk Powders Australia
    use code NAPARM in the 'redeem' box at checkout for a discount off your order

Lightbulb

Good one. I've seen a lot of guys get plenty strong on Starting Strength and 5x5. Is that because of the insane volume?
    5*5 > 1 (max single).

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's not a claim
    You're not giving yourself enough credi there red, your claim has serious implications in the PL world. You just completely discredited Louie Simmons and Westside.

Gjdm

dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You can try it, it will work for a short time then you will stall......

I have pulled my max 3 times in a week once, felt like a train wreck too after that. Pulling max even once a week will eventually catch up to you.

Originally Posted by Black_Spit View Post
    You're not giving yourself enough credi there red, your claim has serious implications in the PL world. You just completely discredited Louie Simmons and Westside.

Gjdm
    So they max out every single training session? Just ramp up the weight to the max and that's that? Are you kidding me with this argument? I'm not even going to ask the question of are the lifters even that good considering the boat loads of drugs they are on. I don't have to.

guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP I think it would be very draining and hard to recover from.

5*5 > 1 (max single).
    You do realize when people talk about training singles they don't walk into a gym, load the bar with weight, do 1 rep, then go home, correct?

Don_E85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    dum idea

Originally Posted by guest89 View Post
    You do realize when people talk about training singles they don't walk into a gym, load the bar with weight, do 1 rep, then go home, correct?
    So are we talking about real maxing or pyramiding?

So are we talking about real maxing or pyramiding?
    I don't think anyone is talking real "psyched out of your mind" maxes especially when referring to maxing multiple times per week. By way of example, olympic lifters who max on backsquat 6 times per week, work up to a daily max, which can be thought of as a single with an RPE of about 9. The adaptation resulting in strength gains is highly driven both by intensity and number of lifts.

Although I don't disagree that volume builds strength, I don't think it's the only variable, which is based on what I've learned and absorbed in my short time involved in powerlifting.