SelfishAvarice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SelfishAvarice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SelfishAvarice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SelfishAvarice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SelfishAvarice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SelfishAvarice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SelfishAvarice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Kidney Liver Protection

Any measures I should take to prevent damage to kidney and liver functions while on a ketogenic (long term) diet?
    I only ask because I've heard mixed feelings on ketogenic diets in regards to the kidney and liver health.

Other than water, as I drink several liters of water a day... Should I take anything at all to keep my organs protected.

Regards,
    Greg

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have never heard of keto being unfriendly to any internal organ. I've been in keto most of the time for the last 3 years and have had a couple of full health screenings that included liver (and I think kidney) function with no issues at all. I don't specifically know what tests they ran, just that I gave blood and urine, and I do remember seeing some liver stuff on the printout (maybe enzymes? can't remember for sure), and the doc was very happy with everything.

With that said, I like to take liver support supps once in a while just 'cause I think it's a good idea no matter what your diet looks like.

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What damage?
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, you sound like my parents/ ppl that say that my diet is going to kill me, My dietitian at work tells me that keto is bad.
    Brazilian Crew [<O>]
    Keto(since 11/11/2011)

Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A good friend of mine went in to get his kidneys checked.

The doctor told him he was near kidney failure

MY friend is a trainer who is 5'7, 205 and 14% b/f. He's jacked and knows a lot about working out

He's done keto before

Problem? He never EVER EVERRRRRR ate anything BUT meat. Which literally makes him a complete meat head.

Listen to the advice of these people on this forum. People here when they tell you to eat lots of veggies with your protein and fats. They mean it.

don't be my friend who ate nothing but protein , fat, and never any veggies.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh and he also had liver damage

DELTAFORCEBABY will become famous soon enough. (+50) DELTAFORCEBABY will become famous soon enough. (+50) DELTAFORCEBABY will become famous soon enough. (+50) DELTAFORCEBABY will become famous soon enough. (+50) DELTAFORCEBABY will become famous soon enough. (+50) DELTAFORCEBABY will become famous soon enough. (+50) DELTAFORCEBABY will become famous soon enough. (+50) DELTAFORCEBABY will become famous soon enough. (+50) DELTAFORCEBABY will become famous soon enough. (+50) DELTAFORCEBABY will become famous soon enough. (+50) DELTAFORCEBABY will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Bigboybar View Post
    A good friend of mine went in to get his kidneys checked.

The doctor told him he was near kidney failure

MY friend is a trainer who is 5'7, 205 and 14% b/f. He's jacked and knows a lot about working out

He's done keto before

Problem? He never EVER EVERRRRRR ate anything BUT meat. Which literally makes him a complete meat head.

Listen to the advice of these people on this forum. People here when they tell you to eat lots of veggies with your protein and fats. They mean it.

don't be my friend who ate nothing but protein , fat, and never any veggies.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh and he also had liver damage
    no offense but he was probably taking a lot of cell tech with those ribeyes unless he didnt have normal kidney function to begin with

your liver just has to make the little amount of glycogen your brain needs since you're not eating carbs and your kidneys wouldnt be strained unless you were a type 1 diabetic or something

alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DELTAFORCEBABY View Post
    no offense but he was probably taking a lot of cell tech with those ribeyes unless he didnt have normal kidney function to begin with

your liver just has to make the little amount of glycogen your brain needs since you're not eating carbs and your kidneys wouldnt be strained unless you were a type 1 diabetic or something
    this is what i thought, another story is, my friend took cell tech for months, and ate lean for about 4-5 months, basically no fat, and his cholesterol was so bad that the doc actually told him to stop whatever bodybuilding "supplement" he was taking.
    Brazilian Crew [<O>]
    Keto(since 11/11/2011)

Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigboybar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DELTAFORCEBABY View Post

Something that he did was ****ed up

He carbed up a lot . I don't know. I can only worry about myself

I feel amazing, I look great, my tests are coming out great, i love keto

KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    This thread illustrates a common pitfall for beginners. Eating low fat as well as low carb, in the macronutrient sense. Keto is FAT BASED for a reason, to provide fat as your primarly energy source, with the resulting dietary hormonal release. If you eat high protein (low fat and low carb) your body will attempt to fuel itself via hepatic gluconeogenesis using protein (rather than fat) as the substrate, causing all the above mentioned problems...By the way, your brain uses ketones for fuel, as well as glucose, not glycogen..
    I'll take arrogance and the inevitable hubris over self-doubt and lack of confidence, anyday.......