Closed Thread
Page 34 of 325 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 134 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 9748
    snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by CurltonBench View Post
    \

R u 'avin a giggle m8? so i was one before injury? thats what deadlifting 5x5 @ 90%, neglecting glutes,rear delts and benching with flared elbows will give you.
    i answered your questions that were bolded based on the stats you posted. prablem?
    AAU World SJ Powerlifting Champion, 2014

Owner/Founder of StrongerYou Personal Training

BTK-no excuses

FruitSupernova has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello Jason,

I'm having issues with grip on high bar squats. To get the bar sit better on the back, I've been flaring the elbows up and back, but I think this has been screwing with my bar path, and causing wrist pain. I tried to relax the elbows, letthe hands sit, and kept chest up last time, and it worked well. Is this correct? The wrist pain has gotten to where gripping in straight bar curls is painful in the right hand. Shall I take some time off from curls?

Appreciate any and all insight given; thank you. Who knew there was so much to barbell training?

eugrub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What is CGBP?

What do you mean by workout A and workout B? I pick either one of them?

DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by eugrub View Post
    What is CGBP?

What do you mean by workout A and workout B? I pick either one of them?
    CGBP = Close grip bench press

You alternate between workout A & B. Schedule would look like this: First week: A-B-A Second week: B-A-B Keep alternating between A & B.
    --If you knew better you'd do better!--

Originally Posted by DoolaMadness View Post

You alternate between workout A & B. Schedule would look like this: First week: A-B-A Second week: B-A-B Keep alternating between A & B.
    Ok, thanks. For example, Monday I workout then Tuesday rest then Wednesday work out then and so on right?

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by snrygo View Post
    you are no longer an intermediate with those numbers.

jason has said before that this routine can be used for intermediates with the incorporation of deloads every 6-8 weeks .

alternatively there is his intermediate routine.
    I have to agree here. Those are not novice numbers when you can bench and row 100kg for reps. As was said this program could still be used for an intermediate but with deloads, AND weak point training added in to address anything that is lagging. I will try to get an intermediate dual factor upper/lower powerbuilding (hypertrophy using high strength and workload rather than tension and metabolic fatigue or possibly a perdiozied one where I alternate this with metabolic phases) program out sooner or later for you guys.

Originally Posted by FruitSupernova View Post
    Hello Jason,

I'm having issues with grip on high bar squats. To get the bar sit better on the back, I've been flaring the elbows up and back, but I think this has been screwing with my bar path, and causing wrist pain. I tried to relax the elbows, letthe hands sit, and kept chest up last time, and it worked well. Is this correct? The wrist pain has gotten to where gripping in straight bar curls is painful in the right hand. Shall I take some time off from curls?

Appreciate any and all insight given; thank you. Who knew there was so much to barbell training?
    I explain why your curls are painful in this video:

For squatting you are going to have to experiment with your ideal grip width that allows for wrist and forearm comfort gripping the bar while still maintaining proper scapular retraction in your shoulder blades. As I am not there in the weight room with you to help you find that sweetspot you are going to have to play with it a bit until you find it on your own.

Originally Posted by DoolaMadness View Post

Thanks for answering those for me while I was sleeping, repped.

CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JasonDB View Post
    I have to agree here. Those are not novice numbers when you can bench and row 100kg for reps. As was said this program could still be used for an intermediate but with deloads, AND weak point training added in to address anything that is lagging. I will try to get an intermediate dual factor upper/lower powerbuilding (hypertrophy using high strength and workload rather than tension and metabolic fatigue or possibly a perdiozied one where I alternate this with metabolic phases) program out sooner or later for you guys.
    would you recommend your program if i can only train 3-4 consecutive days? or is the day rest in between crucial. keep in mind im getting 3-4 days rest after. thanks.
    I lift therefore I Misc

*cant be arsed to have a nice sig since mods delete it every 2 seconds for no reason crew*

JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CurltonBench View Post
    would you recommend your program if i can only train 3-4 consecutive days? or is the day rest in between crucial. keep in mind im getting 3-4 days rest after. thanks.
    No program will be optimal on that type of setup. Yes the rest days are cucial and you have too much down time part of the week every week to ensure optimal growth. Muscle never grow, sans anabolic drugs in the equation, beyond 48 hours after you last trained it as a result of training stimulation.

69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I will try to get an intermediate dual factor upper/lower powerbuilding (hypertrophy using high strength and workload rather than tension and metabolic fatigue or possibly a perdiozied one where I alternate this with metabolic phases) program out sooner or later for you guys.

Cool, hopefully sooner than later.
    The best part of this is, my kids are learning to live healthier because of me.

furiousrunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Jason, the workouts are taking me at least 1 hour 40, and with the weight getting heavier I'm guessing they're only going to get longer. It's hard to fit them in my daily routine.

Is there any way to shorten them? Maybe doing abs or more on off days?

Thanks for any help.

Originally Posted by furiousrunt View Post
    Hey Jason, the workouts are taking me at least 1 hour 40, and with the weight getting heavier I'm guessing they're only going to get longer. It's hard to fit them in my daily routine.

Thanks for any help.
    Cut the breaks down between sets slightly and use the weight resets to get you in the right weight range for if time is becoming an issue.

Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by furiousrunt View Post

Thanks for any help.
    I have a similar problem sometimes so I work my weighted situps in between other workouts. I also alternate (not exactly super set) with Shrugs, Curls and Skull Crushers. Also, if available I work my warm up sets for bench press in between squat sets so I'm ready to go when done with squats. Doing a few of these things allows me to finish the workout in 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes.
    ++ Positive Crew ++

"But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles.
    They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint."
    -Isaiah 40:31

My Ice Cream Fitness Novice 5 X 5 Workout Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148313413&p=951839093&posted=1#post951839093

Great ideas Spimman. Really enjoy the routine. It's just fitting it in is getting hard.

DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoolaMadness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by eugrub View Post
    Ok, thanks. For example, Monday I workout then Tuesday rest then Wednesday work out then and so on right?
    That's right.

Originally Posted by JasonDB View Post

Thanks for answering those for me while I was sleeping, repped.
    Not a problem, Jason.
    --If you knew better you'd do better!--

mathmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In workout 2 you have deadlifts directly after smashing your legs with squats.. why not switch order of press and deadlifts?

Originally Posted by mathmuscle View Post
    In workout 2 you have deadlifts directly after smashing your legs with squats.. why not switch order of press and deadlifts?
    I would rather not fatigue the upper back with presses prior to people on this program pulling. Squats are generally done first in order to prevent squating with a fatigued lower back. As far as neural aspects if you are concerned about recovery, deadlifting immediately after squating will be difficult at first but those doing so will quickly adapt and start pulling PRs.

This program is good for getting ripped and toned body? I weight 135 lbs

Dunno about ripped and toned, but my legs looked twice as bigger after just 1 week LoL!

garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    On and off in the gym for a couple years now. Started going again consistently in May and beginning to stall on my lifts. Going to try this for 6-8 weeks and see what I can do!

Current Max lifts in signature. Really need to get my squat and DL up in proportion to my BP.

Also...no idea why my avatar hasn't shown up yet. Swear I have one.
    Current weight: 174 Goal: 180

Lifts:--------------------Goals: (for now...)
    Bench - 205(5x5)-----------Bench - 225
    Deadlift {X} until spinal problem fixed :(
    Squat - 230(5x5)-----------Squat - 275
    BB Row - 200(5x5) ---------BB Row: 225
    OH Press - 125(5x5)--------OH Press - 135
    (as of 2/6/13)

Link to my journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148426033&p=954018063#post954018063
    (Go to page 2 to get to where I switch to 5x5)

Aynom is just really nice. (+1000) Aynom is just really nice. (+1000) Aynom is just really nice. (+1000) Aynom is just really nice. (+1000) Aynom is just really nice. (+1000) Aynom is just really nice. (+1000) Aynom is just really nice. (+1000) Aynom is just really nice. (+1000) Aynom is just really nice. (+1000) Aynom is just really nice. (+1000) Aynom is just really nice. (+1000)
    Is it recommended to take the 2 days off after the A B A. Or is continously A B A B A, every other day with around 48 hours between workouts fine as well?

lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by aynom View Post
    is it recommended to take the 2 days off after the a b a. Or is continously a b a b a, every other day with around 48 hours between workouts fine as well?
    2 days rest. For example
    mon a.... Tue rest...... Wed b........thur rest.......fri a........sat rest........sun rest....... Mon b......tue rest ............wed a
    and so on
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #28 -!!!---!!!-
    *** ice cream and iron crew # 3 ***

Beerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Beerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Beerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Beerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Beerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Beerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Beerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Beerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Beerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Beerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Beerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Been doing this for roughly 3 weeks now and am loving it. Lifts are going up like crazy. I've never been so dead coming home from the gym before. Will report back in a month or two.

just a quick question about your bicep curl vid. will these curls be alright?

Haha, thanks for the routine man!
    Last edited by Beerto; 11-28-2012 at 02:39 AM.
    Repping Gooners on sight
    AVI from 2014

Eat-n-Lift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eat-n-Lift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eat-n-Lift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eat-n-Lift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eat-n-Lift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eat-n-Lift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eat-n-Lift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eat-n-Lift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eat-n-Lift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eat-n-Lift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eat-n-Lift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My question may be little like the one a few posts above mine. I'm wondering if it will be beneficial to do my workouts as such. Week 1 Mon- Workout A Tues- Rest Wed- Workout B Thur- Rest Fri- Workout A Sat- Rest. Week 2 Sun- Workout B Mon- Rest Tues- Workout A Wed- Rest Thur- Workout B Fri- Rest Sat- Workout A. Or if doing this will not allow me to get enough rest time in between workouts and not increase my lifts as much as if I had 2 rest days in a row once a week. Thanks.

Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spimman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Beerto View Post
    Been doing this for roughly 3 weeks now and am loving it. Lifts are going up like crazy. I've never been so dead coming home from the gym before. Will report back in a month or two.

just a quick question about your bicep curl vid. will these curls be alright?

whYJzyRKqgc&feature=related

Haha, thanks for the routine man!
    I'll let Jason speak for himself, but I'd be interested to know the benefits of curling more weight than you can safely pick up for a 2 inch range of motion with one arm while using the other arm and body motion to assist. Looks like a good way to get injured.

Originally Posted by Eat-n-Lift View Post
    My question may be little like the one a few posts above mine. I'm wondering if it will be beneficial to do my workouts as such. Week 1 Mon- Workout A Tues- Rest Wed- Workout B Thur- Rest Fri- Workout A Sat- Rest. Week 2 Sun- Workout B Mon- Rest Tues- Workout A Wed- Rest Thur- Workout B Fri- Rest Sat- Workout A. Or if doing this will not allow me to get enough rest time in between workouts and not increase my lifts as much as if I had 2 rest days in a row once a week. Thanks.
    Read back through the thread from start to finish, the 20 minutes it will take is worth it! As someone new to the program all the Q&A will really benefit you and answer this question.
    ++ Positive Crew ++

"But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles.
    They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint."
    -Isaiah 40:31

My Ice Cream Fitness Novice 5 X 5 Workout Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148313413&p=951839093&posted=1#post951839093

BenitaSolo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, first time poster here. Thanks for the routine and all the answers It's nice to have somewhere to go as a beginner. I'm two and a half weeks in and have a few questions pop in my head during my lifts.

I don't know how to warm-up. I am currently doing about 14 minutes of medium cardio before stretching. Now I'm reading about warmup sets. I would like to get the most out of my lifts so if these are necessary for this routine could someone please specify that the fark i should be doing!?

I watched the video you have regarding cardio. Would this be a high volume workout where I may want to avoid hi intensity cardio training? Currently I do the insanity videos on my off days, is this a mistake?

Lastly, I have nowhere to do the kneeling cable crunches. What can I replace these with?

Thanks for everything

Originally Posted by BenitaSolo View Post
    Hey, first time poster here. Thanks for the routine and all the answers It's nice to have somewhere to go as a beginner. I'm two and a half weeks in and have a few questions pop in my head during my lifts.

I don't know how to warm-up. I am currently doing about 14 minutes of medium cardio before stretching. Now I'm reading about warmup sets. I would like to get the most out of my lifts so if these are necessary for this routine could someone please specify that the fark i should be doing!?

I watched the video you have regarding cardio. Would this be a high volume workout where I may want to avoid hi intensity cardio training? Currently I do the insanity videos on my off days, is this a mistake?

Lastly, I have nowhere to do the kneeling cable crunches. What can I replace these with?

Thanks for everything
    Cardio should never be a warmup to lifting... I am not sure where this trend started but someone needs to kill it dead forever. Foam rolling is acceptable as a warmup, lighter sets of a lift you are going to perform is an acceptable warmup. I covered the later in the video.

I'm old I don't know what insanty videos are.

You can do crunches with a weight plate on your chest or behind your head. I do this with a 45 on days at the gym where I can't get access to a cable for abs at the end of a session due to crowding.

ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000)

Thanks for everything
    I definitely would not do insanity on your off days (JasonDB, it is more cardio intense then p90x) if you want to increase your strength. Trying to hit PR's every workout requires you to let your body rest and recover. Insanity on your off days wont allow that.

BenitaSolo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ajsat23 View Post
    I definitely would not do insanity on your off days (JasonDB, it is more cardio intense then p90x) if you want to increase your strength. Trying to hit PR's every workout requires you to let your body rest and recover. Insanity on your off days wont allow that.
    Okay thanks, what would you suggest? Walking and jogging perhaps? The thing is I love to eat so burning an extra 300 hundred is nice.

Also, I didn't catch where you mention a warmup in the video, then again 18 minutes is a long time for me to pay attention. Maybe you used terms I'm not privy to. Video opp?

So in this routine weighted ab work is key? Regular high rep non weighted ab workout won't cut it?

Okay thanks, what would you suggest? Walking and jogging perhaps? The thing is I love to eat so burning an extra 300 hundred is nice.

Also, I didn't catch where you mention a warmup in the video, then again 18 minutes is a long time for me to pay attention. Maybe you used terms I'm not privy to. Video opp?

So in this routine weighted ab work is key? Regular high rep non weighted ab workout won't cut it?
    Weighted ab work is the key to a textbook perfert heavy squat. Weak abs will make all the lifts less effective at gaining size or strength. For warmups you do as many sets as you need (I do 1-3 warmup sets personally per lift) using light weights for the same number of reps as a warmup set. Jogging is unacceptable it cuts into metabolic pathways and reduces performance. A 10 minute walk is fine however as a warmup. On off days from training or after training walk as much as you want. If you want to burn calories walk everywhere more often. Don't take your car to go to a shop that is only a 5-10 minute walk. Take the stairs instead of an elevator.

garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) garardn01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

What are your goals? And are the stats in your profile current? Because I imagine you're looking to gain size/strength... and at 6'1" 170lbs you shouldn't really worry about burning "that extra 300 calories". Eating is good!

Cardio is fine (I should probably begin doing some myself...) just make sure to adjust your intake so that you make sure to be at a surplus.
    Current weight: 174 Goal: 180

Lifts:--------------------Goals: (for now...)
    Bench - 205(5x5)-----------Bench - 225
    Deadlift {X} until spinal problem fixed :(
    Squat - 230(5x5)-----------Squat - 275
    BB Row - 200(5x5) ---------BB Row: 225
    OH Press - 125(5x5)--------OH Press - 135
    (as of 2/6/13)

Link to my journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148426033&p=954018063#post954018063
    (Go to page 2 to get to where I switch to 5x5)

Closed Thread