RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Squats vs leg press

I have a hack squat machine I prefer doing leg presses in, a parabody. I got a $5 york calf machine i prefer doing calf raises in compared to the leg press/hack squat. And I got a magnum standing squat machine that I prefer doing squats in to my smith or the hack squat.

Having said that, I'd like to take apart my hack squat to free up some floor room for some other things I want to get (GHD, reverse hyper). I'd still keep it just store it outside in a small shed until I build a big enough shed to house all my equipment.

Is there any disadvantage towards using the squat only and no leg presses? I can do a leg press in the smith but i don't really like laying flat on my back. It feels better doing them in the leg press. So I would probably not do leg presses if I take the hack squat apart. I would probably just do more squat reps. Thoughts?
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||

~ 5th dimensional being ~

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I think it depends on your goals. If you're doing a bodybuilding routine, maybe you do need all of that variety. Otherwise, I think that squats and deadlifts should be sufficient.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    I think it depends on your goals. If you're doing a bodybuilding routine, maybe you do need all of that variety. Otherwise, I think that squats and deadlifts should be sufficient.
    It's like Arthur Jones said, "Squats are the lower body pullover."

I sold my leg press/hip sled and my Smith over the last week or so. Made some room in the gym and the shed 9where i store the disassembled leg press since knee surgery last August) and when my surgically repaired knee gets strong enough, I will be doing squats, and only squats, again. No leg extensions, no hacks, no 45degree leg presses (though it was nice pushing all that weight!)

RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Squats always will be the no 1 leg builder but its always cool to follow them with a few sets of leg presses to totally kill the quads .As far as building size squats will be more than efficient , i usually do 5 sets of squats but as long as u put the effort in then leg development will follow.

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've got a Parabody leg press/hack squat machine also. I'm with you, I don't really care that much for the way hack squats feel on the Parabody. I don't know if it's having the weight more down by the waist/knees as opposed to up by the shoulders as with a dedicated hack but it just feels strange to me. In the old days though that's how hacks were done. I think you posted a vid of you using the magnum squat machine. I'm not sure if it was the angle of the camera but it really looked like that machine put your back in a very vertical position, almost like doing a front squat. Having said that have you considered disassembling your new magnum squat machine and switching to front squats on our smith machine. I'm not sure if you use a smith machine for pressing movements but I'd be more inclined to give up a machine with a single purpose than I would a machine with as many uses as a smith machine has. I don't care for leg presses on a smith machine or any inverted leg press for that matter.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Since we are talking A squat machine vs. a leg press, I think the difference would be minimal. I's just get rid of the leg press and stick to the standing squat machine especially since you prefer the movement more.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    I've got a Parabody leg press/hack squat machine also. I'm with you, I don't really care that much for the way hack squats feel on the Parabody. I don't know if it's having the weight more down by the waist/knees as opposed to up by the shoulders as with a dedicated hack but it just feels strange to me. In the old days though that's how hacks were done. I think you posted a vid of you using the magnum squat machine. I'm not sure if it was the angle of the camera but it really looked like that machine put your back in a very vertical position, almost like doing a front squat. Having said that have you considered disassembling your new magnum squat machine and switching to front squats on our smith machine. I'm not sure if you use a smith machine for pressing movements but I'd be more inclined to give up a machine with a single purpose than I would a machine with as many uses as a smith machine has. I don't care for leg presses on a smith machine or any inverted leg press for that matter.
    i was talking about disassembling the hack squat, not the smith? lol .

donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by matrix563 View Post
    I have a hack squat machine I prefer doing leg presses in, a parabody. I got a $5 york calf machine i prefer doing calf raises in compared to the leg press/hack squat. And I got a magnum standing squat machine that I prefer doing squats in to my smith or the hack squat.

Having said that, I'd like to take apart my hack squat to free up some floor room for some other things I want to get (GHD, reverse hyper). I'd still keep it just store it outside in a small shed until I build a big enough shed to house all my equipment.

Is there any disadvantage towards using the squat only and no leg presses? I can do a leg press in the smith but i don't really like laying flat on my back. It feels better doing them in the leg press. So I would probably not do leg presses if I take the hack squat apart. I would probably just do more squat reps. Thoughts?
    Just use your ironmaster as a vertical leg press machine. It works well and you can slide up or down the bench till you find a spot that's most comfortable. They make a plate but I like them using using the bar. The old ironmaster video on youtube shows how to do it safely. The free bar squat is an overall leg exercise, while the vertical leg pres tends to hit specific areas of the leg depending on how your doing them. I do them after squats.

♚ Elected V.P. - R/P ♚ sawoobley's Avatar
    sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Originally Posted by donforeman View Post
    Just use your ironmaster as a vertical leg press machine. It works well and you can slide up or down the bench till you find a spot that's most comfortable. They make a plate but I like them using using the bar. The old ironmaster video on youtube shows how to do it safely. The free bar squat is an overall leg exercise, while the vertical leg pres tends to hit specific areas of the leg depending on how your doing them. I do them after squats.
    i do have that attachment plate. its just not comfortable to me laying on my back doing them in the smith

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by matrix563 View Post
    i was talking about disassembling the hack squat, not the smith? lol .
    I know you were. What I'm saying is since it appears that the magnum squat is more mimicking a front squat how about keeping the hack squat/leg press (since you like leg presses) and disassemble the magnum squat and do front squats on the smith machine.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    can't u emulate a front squat on a hack squat machine ie in reverse like a squat thrust?

i sold my leg press a while back seriously missed it so ordered another ,even for just a leg press i think its def worth keeping and great for before or after barbell squats.

i've tried both kinds of squats in the smith. they don't feel as good as the magnum does. russ i am not sure there is room for my knees on the parabody to be turned the opposite way on the hack squat. i'll take off some plates and see.