Do you do drugs Danny? majorchamp's Avatar
    majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000)

Muscles used when throating a boxing "hook"

I don't know a lot about muscle structure, etc... it's something I need to be much more knowlegeable about.

One particular muscle or set of muscles that I know I have a weakness in are those involved with throwing a boxing hook (shoulder height).

When I throw a left hook at a punching bag..I feel like I am using the muscles from my shoulder to my bicep. Though I am not sure if other muscles in that are are involved.

I've started holding 3lb dumbbells to assist when throwing that move to start strengthening those muscles because the left hook just always feels "weak" and I have less power then my right.

I figured lateral and front arm raises (with 10-15lb dumbbells) would also assist, but any other recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Good technique + Legs, Hips, Core = 99% of a hook (or just about any punch for that matter). Chest & Delts play a very minor role.

Make sure your technique is up to par http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXcgEK1xpGQ

keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Are you trying to specifically work on punching power?

If so then there are some simple techniques you can put into practice;

Keep balanced
    Don't over reach
    Transfer bodyweight into the punch
    Stay relaxed

To be honest you're probably just punching with your arms so you should be able to improve it with the above.

As for muscles used, obvious ones are chest, shoulders, triceps (not as much in the hook) but these aren't as important as what follows. Then you've got your obliques to rotate your body, Hips and very importantly legs. Also I'd suggest a fair amount of RC work.

If you're after exercises for punching power, basically explosive movements. You've got the standard gym lifts but also alot of stuff like medicine ball throws.

If you're going full force on the heavy bag just make sure you've got everything aligned properly or you could hurt yourself and come 2nd to the bag!

majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by keys_10 View Post
    Are you trying to specifically work on punching power?

If so then there are some simple techniques you can put into practice;

Keep balanced
    Don't over reach
    Transfer bodyweight into the punch
    Stay relaxed

To be honest you're probably just punching with your arms so you should be able to improve it with the above.

As for muscles used, obvious ones are chest, shoulders, triceps (not as much in the hook). Then you've got your obliques to rotate your body, Hips and very importantly legs. Also I'd suggest a fair amount of RC work.

If you're after exercises for punching power, basically explosive movements. You've got the standard gym lifts but also alot of stuff like medicine ball throws.

If you're going full force on the heavy bag just make sure you've got everything aligned properly or you could hurt yourself and come 2nd to the bag!
    HA, well last week I was doing a right hook to the body part of the bag..came in at a weird angle and tweaked my right wrist..so its been healing since then.

I realize all that other stuff with form, body movements, etc.. are necessary for a good hook, but I was simply pointing out that the hook movement itself seems to showcase my arm "muscle" weaknesses.

I've been doing compounds + isolation lifts for about 8 months now and have made tremendous progress. Strongest I have ever been in my life, but I am 162 and very lean but still continuing to lift heavy 3-4x per week. Looking to add about 10lbs in the next 2-3 months.

But even with the compounds, tricep exercises, arm raises, shoulders, etc.. up to this point, I throw a left hook (specifically) into the bag and I feel like I wouldn't make a baby flinch LOL. My right is quite powerful...but left is weak as hell. So maybe what I am doing now is the right answer...to basically focus on those moves holding dumbbells, focus on lateral and front arm lifts, etc...

keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    There shouldn't be a massive difference in power between each arm. I'm willing to be your 'stepping in' and transferring your bodyweight more effectively when throwing your right, or maybe rotating more when using your right hand.

Originally Posted by keys_10 View Post
    There shouldn't be a massive difference in power between each arm. I'm willing to be your 'stepping in' and transferring your bodyweight more effectively when throwing your right, or maybe rotating more when using your right hand.
    there is a strength/power difference...I feel it in other aspects of life too..my left has always felt a bit weaker then my right. (I am right handed lol)

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by majorchamp View Post
    I realize all that other stuff with form, body movements, etc.. are necessary for a good hook, but I was simply pointing out that the hook movement itself seems to showcase my arm "muscle" weaknesses.
    I get what you're saying, but please understand what I'm saying....
    A weak punch doesn't showcase a "muscle" weakness, it showcases a "technique" weakness. I've seen lots of people that weren't traditionally "strong", but hit like freight trains.

there is a strength/power difference...I feel it in other aspects of life too..my left has always felt a bit weaker then my right. (I am right handed lol)
    Well it's natural to have an imbalance to some degree, we all do.

If what your doing is working then keep doing it, keep working on technique as this is were you'll see the most improvement by far imo.

Best of luck

Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000)
    Spend less time focusing on a muscle, and more time on your technique. The torque you create from your lower body is where most of the real power is generated from, followed by your back/sho's/traps/tri's/bi's/forearms/etclol. There are a couple ways to throw a hook, if you're in close, throw knuckles down, if its longer range, and you're fast enough, you can get away with your fist vertical. Personally, i always go knuckles down.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Punching is a high impact activity. Not that such concerns necessarily arise in this thread, but weight training isn't really something that fighters started out doing to be able to punch the bag right. Nonetheless, it's fun to speculate on the muscle diagram used for punching, but I wouldn't refer to it to learn to punch.

Just relinquish power, and focus on hitting the bag properly, then pick up speed gradually with power following.
    Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post
    Spend less time focusing on a muscle, and more time on your technique. The torque you create from your lower body is where most of the real power is generated from, followed by your back/sho's/traps/tri's/bi's/forearms/etclol. There are a couple ways to throw a hook, if you're in close, throw knuckles down, if its longer range, and you're fast enough, you can get away with your fist vertical. Personally, i always go knuckles down.
    Originally Posted by Blackjack68 View Post
    I get what you're saying, but please understand what I'm saying....
    A weak punch doesn't showcase a "muscle" weakness, it showcases a "technique" weakness. I've seen lots of people that weren't traditionally "strong", but hit like freight trains.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Blackjack68 View Post
    Good technique + Legs, Hips, Core = 99% of a hook (or just about any punch for that matter). Chest & Delts play a very minor role.

Make sure your technique is up to par http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXcgEK1xpGQ
    This is the correct answer. A jab has a lot more triceps+shoulder in it but power punches are all in the legs+core. Rampage in the UFC credits his "big booty" for his punching power.

doughnutking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) doughnutking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) doughnutking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) doughnutking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) doughnutking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) doughnutking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) doughnutking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) doughnutking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) doughnutking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) doughnutking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) doughnutking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You also use the lats a lot when throwing a hook, Mike Tyson supposedly did not directly work his lats with weights but they were massive.

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Throating a boxing hook? Is that the same thing as deep throating a pen0r? Are you trying to widen your jaw?

I think if the punch is coming in swinging it might go down easier but pls don't hold me to that.

Muscles involved I'd imagine would be the oeso****us.
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

gmscorpion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gmscorpion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gmscorpion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gmscorpion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gmscorpion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't know a lot about muscle structure, etc... it's something I need to be much more knowlegeable about.

One particular muscle or set of muscles that I know I have a weakness in are those involved with throwing a boxing hook (shoulder height).

When I throw a left hook at a punching bag..I feel like I am using the muscles from my shoulder to my bicep. Though I am not sure if other muscles in that are are involved.

I've started holding 3lb dumbbells to assist when throwing that move to start strengthening those muscles because the left hook just always feels "weak" and I have less power then my right.

I figured lateral and front arm raises (with 10-15lb dumbbells) would also assist, but any other recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks
    Try thrusting with your chest instead of the shoulder. The shoulder is very vulnerable and relatively weak in comparison with the pecs. Try a stance where your hands are a bit lower, then drive your elbows forward for a jab or forward then twist for the hook. It will also make you faster, since you can train the chest to be VERY explosive. Yes proper foot placement has it's place in tecnique but it's a shame to have a good foot position and core push only to lose all that force in your shoulders.
    To be the best, you must leave your heroes in the dust.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    There appear to be a variety of angles you can throw hooks at...

The first kind, where you are basically traveling upward, I believe you would train for with a bent-arm front raise. The 2nd you could train for with bent-arm pec flies.

The muscles used in these would also be hit with overhead/incline/flat pressing.

In either case, having strong elbow flexors would appear useful to protect yourself while throwing these (especially the wider arcing variety) so doing pulling moves or curls would help with that.

I could see some benefit in training the first one with dumbbells, but the 2nd kind isn't suited for weighted punching because gravity isn't opposing the direction you're punching in.

In either case, practicing these moves against a bag or mitts would be a lot more useful than dumbbell punching. You can build strength/endurance attributes with presses and push ups, but when you're drilling the skill you should make it as specific as possible, and dumbbells prevent that.