MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Need to make a HOMEMADE barbell/dumbbells?

Lets all face it, heavy sandbags might be great when you stack them up and lift them but that doesn't get you too far in life when its ripping(literally) up my hands from trying to do farmer walks with plain old sand bags and nothing else and the only thing I find reasonable to do with heavy loads is squats. This is why I am asking if anybody knows how I could make a HOMEMADE barbell and dumbbell sets.

Second off, NO, not some crappy Milk jugs or coffee tin things with a broom stick, I mean heavier duty stuff that will work as I bulk up. Really any ideas with stuff I could get from a junk yard, hardware store etc would be best, also of reasonable price.

I would hit the gym if there was one around me, I would buy a set(I most definitely will in the future) when I move but until then I need something I could store in the garage or outside, yes, barbaric.

Ideas anybody?

sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    heres an idea. go to craigs list and look for some dumbbells/barbell *******

maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    buy some dumbbell molds and make it with concrete thats how my dad did it when he was young

MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by maverick93 View Post
    buy some dumbbell molds and make it with concrete thats how my dad did it when he was young
    Hmm that actually sounds like a good idea, I would need a sturdy bar though but 80lbs(of dry) concrete is like $7 or something. Worth it as keeping these in a garage would be better as I would risk keeping an actual expensive set to this.

Thanks for the idea man. Ive thought about using logs as well but that would be somewhat tricky.

dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Seriously? How about you mow some lawns / wash cars / get a job and raise money so you can buy barbells and dumbells, or join a gym? That seems like a much better idea than molding concrete into a figure that will probably break or not be what you expected..

LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinebackerGod will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    lol wtf deadlifting would kill your hands and the bar would just snap

toneekay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) toneekay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) toneekay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) toneekay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) toneekay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) toneekay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) toneekay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) toneekay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) toneekay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) toneekay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) toneekay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Concrete and iron steal bars at any hardware store!

Originally Posted by dowg16 View Post
    Seriously? How about you mow some lawns / wash cars / get a job and raise money so you can buy barbells and dumbells, or join a gym? That seems like a much better idea than molding concrete into a figure that will probably break or not be what you expected..
    Did I EVER say I didn't have the money for them? I dont have room in my house to keep them and my mom won't allow them. And I stated in the OP that I was going to buy a real set when I move out. Actually though I just looked up the concrete thing and people say its works pretty good if you do it with tires as well. You just need a good bar and gloves.

sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10) sneekz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    \so u have no space to keep weights yet ur gonna waste money trying to make stupid **** with tires, concrete, and iron bars.. all of which u will be keeping...

negged..

northdakota is on a distinguished road. (+10) northdakota is on a distinguished road. (+10) northdakota is on a distinguished road. (+10) northdakota is on a distinguished road. (+10) northdakota is on a distinguished road. (+10) northdakota is on a distinguished road. (+10) northdakota is on a distinguished road. (+10) northdakota is on a distinguished road. (+10) northdakota is on a distinguished road. (+10) northdakota is on a distinguished road. (+10) northdakota is on a distinguished road. (+10)

iBodyBuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iBodyBuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iBodyBuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iBodyBuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iBodyBuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iBodyBuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iBodyBuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iBodyBuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iBodyBuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iBodyBuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iBodyBuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    2 bricks, concrete, water and a bar is all you need

maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ya or u can fill milk jugs with concrete and then attach two with a bar while concrete is still wet

PureLoGik is on a distinguished road. (+10) PureLoGik is on a distinguished road. (+10) PureLoGik is on a distinguished road. (+10) PureLoGik is on a distinguished road. (+10) PureLoGik is on a distinguished road. (+10) PureLoGik is on a distinguished road. (+10) PureLoGik is on a distinguished road. (+10) PureLoGik is on a distinguished road. (+10) PureLoGik is on a distinguished road. (+10) PureLoGik is on a distinguished road. (+10) PureLoGik is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Take the sand and fill milk jugs?
    I rep back+

Originally Posted by PureLoGik View Post
    Take the sand and fill milk jugs?
    I do have a lot of sand and Ive thought of somehow attaching it to the bar, it would be easier to manage personally but I cannot think of a way to easily attach the sandbags(in their original state) to a bar.

mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Check out Ross Enamit's book, Never Gymless. I hear it's fantastic for this type of thing. Just go to his website (RossTraining.com) and go the Store section. I hope this helps!

ezrafitch1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezrafitch1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezrafitch1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezrafitch1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezrafitch1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezrafitch1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezrafitch1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezrafitch1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezrafitch1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezrafitch1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezrafitch1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Did I EVER say I didn't have the money for them? I dont have room in my house to keep them and my mom won't allow them. And I stated in the OP that I was going to buy a real set when I move out. Actually though I just looked up the concrete thing and people say its works pretty good if you do it with tires as well. You just need a good bar and gloves.
    just wondering, does that mean you have money for a gym membership? Yes it is more expensive, but if you do have that much to spare a month, i would just spring for the membership. you just have to find a good month/month no contract cheap gym, i used to go to a $50/month gym but that got too expensive and I'm happy with my 10/month gym now.

but if not, good luck with concrete bro, gotta get big somehow.

dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MadDogMalesh View Post
    Tell your mom they will make them stronger and they will better your health and strength, and if you don't have room for barbells and dumbells you won't have room to make a concrete mold...

Biggar12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Biggar12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Biggar12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Biggar12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Biggar12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Biggar12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Biggar12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Biggar12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Biggar12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Biggar12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Biggar12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ya if your gonna put that much work into making your own "home" gym id just get a part time job work a shift on the weekend or soemthing and you would easily be able to pay for a monthly membership at a real gym and actually get some good results

Let me make this clear *again* she said I could have weights in my garage or outside, I am not spending money to have something destroyed, damaged or stolen so if I make it concrete I could store it outside and soforth still be able to train.

Though seriously it wont be too much work and it will be worth it.

o i c the problem u just cant keep them in the house

o i c the problem u just cant keep them in the house
    Yes exactly and gyms(okay like one) are JOKES, all crappy machines no actual bars so I would be better off at my home.

anonymous
    Deadlift cars.

AFTER YOU FILL DEM WIT CONCRETEZ!

Lexemes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lexemes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lexemes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lexemes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lexemes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lexemes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lexemes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lexemes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lexemes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lexemes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lexemes is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Maybe OP has terrible social phobia and comes from a lower/middle-class family and can't afford a 110 dollar bench/squat rack? amirite?
    "The brain does much more than just recollect. It inter-compares, it synthesizes, it analyzes -- it generates abstractions.

The simplest thought like the concept of the number one, has an elaborate logical underpinning. The brain has its own language for testing the structure and consistency of the world." - Carl Sagan

Originally Posted by Lexemes View Post
    Maybe OP has terrible social phobia and comes from a lower/middle-class family and can't afford a 110 dollar bench/squat rack? amirite?
    Actually Ive talked to my mom and it seems like she will give in and let me buy one. So can anyone recommend a good 40lb bar and plates for a good price?

Strong3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strong3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strong3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strong3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strong3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strong3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strong3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strong3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strong3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strong3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strong3r will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is the gayest thread ever.

BRB... We are all caveman again and lift rocks on sticks.

IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MadDogMalesh View Post
    Actually Ive talked to my mom and it seems like she will give in and let me buy one. So can anyone recommend a good 40lb bar and plates for a good price?
    best i found http://longisland.craigslist.org/spo/1744655775.html
    but thats in ny.

sargentcrunch is on a distinguished road. (+10) sargentcrunch is on a distinguished road. (+10) sargentcrunch is on a distinguished road. (+10) sargentcrunch is on a distinguished road. (+10) sargentcrunch is on a distinguished road. (+10) sargentcrunch is on a distinguished road. (+10) sargentcrunch is on a distinguished road. (+10) sargentcrunch is on a distinguished road. (+10) sargentcrunch is on a distinguished road. (+10) sargentcrunch is on a distinguished road. (+10) sargentcrunch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Play it again sports sells used equipment for really cheap, i just got like 50 lbs in weights and a tricep bar for less then 40 bucks.

Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bump

Just wondered how you got on with making your own equipment?

I found a flagpole (similar to a scaffolding pole) and tied sandbags to it - incredibly simple and really effective. This lift was 115kg, it includes the weight of the bar (put a regular barbell in the middle with some sand in case it tried to bend, although I don't think it would've). Got it up to 150kg right now, but that's my limit so far as I have small hands.

Before anyone disses me, I am so small because I have just bounced back from a crippling illness and im only 5ft4. Strength is going through the roof now that I have overcome it... lifting 3 times bodyweight after third day of deadlifts since I was about 20 (7 years ago).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkS__L7sMRo

By the way, I had to say about my size and lifts because people on this forum love attacking members.
    Where there's a will, there's a whey.