Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Versa Climber Anyone ?

It seems alot of Fire Department's are using this equipment for training
    and was wondering if anyone owns one or has tried it.

I want something that simulates climbing like the versaclimber
    but there doesn't seem to be much resistance on the versa climber.

Cardio isn't what I need ( I get enough ) I want something where it's more strength related but something along the lines like the VersaClimber where you climb vertical.

Is there enough resistance on this thing ?

Pro's Con's ?

I will check out their website in the meantime.

Firemen Training

Two 2 different versions in this video..which one would you prefer to climb .. Machine on the left or right (Arm - Leg movement ) Which movement is more natural to you ?

MMA Fighter

http://versaclimber.reachlocal.com/c...26fr%253Db2ie7
    Last edited by Bluerain; 02-21-2009 at 08:09 AM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."~~~Benjamin Franklin

boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000)
    i would buy one if it ever came up cheap enough....seems like a small footprint for my gym

tim
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 12

https://www.youtube.com/user/solvedphysicsproblem

117 videos showing the solutions to all highschool physics problems that could possibly come up.

dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would think the one on the right is more natural because like walking, if you step with your right foot, your left arm swings. From how I've seen people climb those walls that seems to be the norm too. But than again, what do I know because I'm not a climber.

It doesn't look to have much of any resistance to them either.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.17

Make everyday count because no one promised you tomorrow.

Live easy, train hard.

Owe lifetime reps to all E-Crew members

Owe a case of beer to deseee

Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dolson27 View Post
    I would think the one on the right is more natural because like walking, if you step with your right foot, your left arm swings. From how I've seen people climb those walls that seems to be the norm too. But than again, what do I know because I'm not a climber.

It doesn't look to have much of any resistance to them either.
    I agree the the one on the right is more natural.

Some people wear a weighted vest ( I own one) but that's really not the same as if the pedals had a knob where you could increase the tension.

You can increase the tension on these but I don't think it's enough for what I want.

Maybe someone here who owns one will chime in..it would be a big help .
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."~~~Benjamin Franklin

Originally Posted by boxertim View Post
    i would buy one if it ever came up cheap enough....seems like a small footprint for my gym
    tim
    I agree the footprint isn't that big and an used one with a decent price might be tempting.

Just some info for me to look back at...

Types of stair steppers
    Stair stepping equipment is categorized as non-mechanized or mechanized. Non-mechanized steppers, such as machines that use air pistons, do not move fast enough to provide an ideal aerobic exercise workout. Mechanized stair steppers or stair machines provide the best aerobic workout of stair stepping equipment. They can be found at public gymnasiums and health clubs or can be purchased from an exercise equipment dealer or manufacturer.

The styles of stair machines include staircase ergometers, independent pedal steppers, and linked pedal steppers. Staircase ergometers, which were the first style of stair machine available to the public, are similar to escalators and are the most like climbing stairs. Pedal steppers, which are currently more widely distributed in health clubs, have linked pedal action (e.g., Bally's Lifestep)) or independent pedal action (e.g., Stairmaster PT-4000). Both staircase ergometers and pedal steppers have settings for speed control, time, distance, and workout intensity. However, each style is used differently

Posture
    Because stair machines are designed for you to stand upright while using them, they provide an excellent form of exercise to strengthen Your back Muscles. To get the most benefit from exercising with this equipment, You should stand upright and lightly grasp the handrails, using them only for balance while stepping. Many users reverse their grip on the handrails, lean forward or hunch over, and prop themselves on the handrails or electronics panel, Supporting their upper body with their shoulders and wrists. This poor posture prevents you from developing strong back muscles and decreases the actual workout intensity by at least 20% because your leg muscles are not supporting your full weight.

As with climbing stairs, you 'Must lift Your feet about 6.5 inches to 8 inches each step to exercise your leg, buttock, and back muscles using the stair machine. People who take tiny steps or step with their tip-toes exercise their calves but not their thigh and buttock muscles. The amount of calories burned depends on how much you involve the large muscle groups, such as the thigh and buttock muscles, in aerobic exercise. Using a complete stride of 6.5 inches to 8 inches with upright posture burns the most calories. Because stair stepping strenuously exercises the large muscles of your legs, you need to do gentle stretching exercises before and after your workout. Stretching before you exercise helps prevent injury. Stretching after you exercise, especially your hamstrings (muscles in the back of the thigh) and heelcords, helps restore muscle fibers to their pre-exercise length to prepare them for all the other demands placed on them.
    http://www.hughston.com/hha/a.stair.htm
    Last edited by Bluerain; 02-21-2009 at 08:56 AM.

This would be nice but way too expensive and huge..you need at least 10 foot ceiling let alone the footprint.

Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Bluerain View Post
    This would be nice but way too expensive and huge..you need at least 10 foot ceiling let alone the footprint.

ya they are huge,plus i wonder if they need 220

Originally Posted by Keeptryin View Post
    I didn't even think of that.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Keeptryin View Post
    The models I've seen have not required 220. Our fire dept used them for candidate selection and training a few years ago and they were plugged into what appeared to be ordinary receptacles.

I think it was Precor who sold adapters a few years ago for their commercial treadmills purchased for home use. No clue where you'd find one elsewhere though.

trooler78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trooler78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trooler78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trooler78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trooler78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trooler78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trooler78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trooler78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trooler78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trooler78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trooler78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    not really my cup of tea but i have a buddy that loves climbing and is incredibl y ripped so yea

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you want a real climbing machine get on of these;
    http://www.body-solid.co.uk/asp/prod...chFor=&PT_ID=0
    motorised climbing wall 'treadmill' over 20ft tall and $9000. Or just find a gym with a climbing wall. Or a big rock.
    Not really much help, just found it and thought i'd share.

And from the climbing Ive done, that machine will translate very little to real climbing. Maybe running up a ladder but not hanging onto a sheer cliff face, that requires alot more grip/back/leg strength rather than cardio (although it does help). Most of the climbers I know are small. lean, but small.
    Last edited by Essexlad; 02-22-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Originally Posted by Essexlad View Post
    If you want a real climbing machine get on of these;
    http://www.body-solid.co.uk/asp/prod...chFor=&PT_ID=0
    motorised climbing wall 'treadmill' over 20ft tall and $9000. Or just find a gym with a climbing wall. Or a big rock.
    Not really much help, just found it and thought i'd share.

And from the climbing Ive done, that machine will translate very little to real climbing. Maybe running up a ladder but not hanging onto a sheer cliff face, that requires alot more grip/back/leg strength rather than cardio (although it does help). Most of the climbers I know are small. lean, but small.
    That is so kool !!

Way too expensive plus I don't have 20 ft ceilings LOL...
    Thanks for posting tho ..fun to look at

PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey its one of those rock wall things. I have never tried one but they look fun.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 15

Repping crew for life.

I rep back.:)

Ive got a new training partner.:)

Dirty Bulking.:)

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    I used to use the versa-climber back in my college days. It and the rowing machine were the most butt kicking machines in the gym. It was way harder than the stair climbers. You do not want a lot of resistance from the machine, if you want to increase the resistance, you can resist your own movements on it, this will kick your butt, in a tiny footprint.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

That's how you get ants. BobisMighty's Avatar
    BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This may sound like bragging, but my gym has all the machines that have been shown so far in this thread haha. Except I think the climbing wall machine (the one that's 20ft tall) is out of use now.

I have used the stair climber and jacob's ladder.
    Jacob's ladder is much more cardio based as you have to maintain a minimum pace in order for it keep going. You also have to be pretty damn coordinated. It kind of reminds me of bear crawls.

The stair climber is pretty intense on the legs, I did intervals on that.

I'm going to try out the versa climber tomorrow and ask about the climbing machine.
    MISC STRENGTH CREW

Rugby training log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125605233

World Rugby S&C Level 1 coach.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    How about one of these:

I love rope climbing this thing could be fun.

dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    How about one of these:

What's the name/brand of that machine? I wonder if it allows you to do horizontal rope pulls too?
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.17

Make everyday count because no one promised you tomorrow.

Live easy, train hard.

Owe lifetime reps to all E-Crew members

Owe a case of beer to deseee

trythis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trythis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trythis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trythis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trythis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trythis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trythis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trythis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trythis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trythis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trythis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The body-solid machine is only 10ft tall, the rotating belt with the climbing grips is 20ft long.

Originally Posted by dolson27 View Post
    What's the name/brand of that machine? I wonder if it allows you to do horizontal rope pulls too?
    Here is the page I got the pic from.

http://www.marpokinetics.com/products.htm

THis one only goes vertical, though in both up and down directions. They do make a model that goes horizontal as well.

That's how you get ants. BobisMighty's Avatar
    BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I forgot to post my review of the versaclimber. We have the machine that is right hand up right foot up, etc.

the electronics of ours was busted, so i don't know if this'll be accurate. it seemed to not be able to provide and equal workout on my upper body and lower body. if i pulled to hard, my feet did nothing. if i pushed down with my foot too hard, my hands did nothing.
    MISC STRENGTH CREW

Rugby training log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125605233

World Rugby S&C Level 1 coach.

ArmBar100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmBar100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmBar100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmBar100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmBar100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmBar100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmBar100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmBar100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmBar100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmBar100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Versa Climbers are cool and an awesome workout...

I used to do repair work on Fitness Equipment and I remember them for being really high maintenance, and parts being hard to come by-

Registered User ira_est_a_donum's Avatar
    ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Bluerain View Post

those rock.... ive seen them on CL for 500ish... they are fantastic workout... fat burner plus... level like 15...OUCH...20 minutes you are soaked in sweat... wish the steps were bigger though bc if you are a size 9 or above it takes some getting used 2...

also everytime i see a versa climber i think of this... from cribs.. back in the day... dont know how to embed the deal...so have to click the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDv2-5XUf1U

sohio99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Versaclimbers Rule

Last gym I joined was largely because they had the Versaclimber. I give it twenty minutes at relatively low resistance, varying speed and upper/lower body exertion.

Resistance on Versaclimbers can be cranked so high most people couldn't move the pegs.

It's easy to shift your effort from lower body to upper body - easier to keep it on the lower body. Choose your lactic acids!

Tho they don't get heavy use, I've never heard of the machines needing service, except for a little oil. (Staff's usual comment, "They'll kick your butt.")

rich63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sohio99 View Post
    Last gym I joined was largely because they had the Versaclimber. I give it twenty minutes at relatively low resistance, varying speed and upper/lower body exertion.

Resistance on Versaclimbers can be cranked so high most people couldn't move the pegs.

It's easy to shift your effort from lower body to upper body - easier to keep it on the lower body. Choose your lactic acids!

Tho they don't get heavy use, I've never heard of the machines needing service, except for a little oil. (Staff's usual comment, "They'll kick your butt.")
    I just picked one up on Craigslist ($ 700 ) and it is the toughest cardio workout I've ever had . Takes up very little space which is a nice bonus .

M_Pek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M_Pek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M_Pek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M_Pek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M_Pek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M_Pek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M_Pek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M_Pek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M_Pek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M_Pek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M_Pek has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    How about one of these:

Had, one of these at the last gym I worked at. It was fun the first couple times I used it but it got pretty boring after a while. A rope, tree branch, and weighted vest is cheaper, and a much better workout.

rocketdan9 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rocketdan9 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rocketdan9 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rocketdan9 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rocketdan9 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rocketdan9 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rocketdan9 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rocketdan9 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rocketdan9 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rocketdan9 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rocketdan9 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Just got one used (older 108h) and it is the best cardio machine i've used. Best fitness machine i've used actually. If you don't have time and can muster in only 20-30 minutes of working out, lazy to workout long or want an effective machine that works out everything from head to toe, get the versa climber. For the past few weeks, i have neglected to use my treadclimber and bowflex and instead focused on using the VC. The version i got doesn't allow to increase resistance, but incorporating sprints and long stretches, i'm gaining muscles, strength while slimming down. I have been a muscle buff for the last 10 years, but with work, kids, i'm unable to keep up with lifting heavy. Rather i'm trying to get a crossfit/mma body look, and this machine will help me.

For anyone looking for an intense , torture like workout , that is addicting and results almost certain, get this machine. I was lucky to get it cheap used , but even at new at a couple of grand, it is a great investment. You have to get it with the cross crawl function (right arm up, left leg up) , that increases co ordination capabilities, is a more natural movement and strengthens the spine area.

My workouts with the machine

M- 20 minutes - overgrip (works out the chest, shoulder, upper back more) - 10 minutes leisure - then last 10 minute a mixture of 30 second sprint and leisure
    T- 20 minutes - undergrip (works out the arms , abs, lower back more) - 10 minutes leisure - then last 10 minute a mixture of 30 second sprint and leisure
    W- 10 minutes - leisure workout. Do some leg only movements also
    Th - 15 minutes - overgrip - 5 minutes leisure - than last 10 minutes mix 1 minute sprint and barely move
    Fri - 15 minutes - undergrip - 5 minutes leisure - than last 10 minutes mix 1 minute sprint and barely move

On Sat and Sun are rest dates as my body is done.

Once a month on a Friday i will try to do 40 min to one hour to build up endurance. I tried this a few days ago and at 30 minutes (even with no sprinting) i had enough. Hopefully i will get to my goal

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Versa climbers are awesome. My academy had one and we used it daily as part of our pt.

Step Mills are great too. However they are a commerical item and i think they start around $3500. Even if you could afford one, you need something like an 11 foot ceiling. I've seen non commercial versions but every one looks flimsy.