Registered User Bekindtoyurbuds's Avatar
    Bekindtoyurbuds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Working out same muscles every other day?

Hey whats up guys, Im new to the forum, but not to working out.

(Im not over 35, but then again Im not a teen, so I figured I would post here considering that I that 29y/o is closer to 35 then to 19) Hope this is the right place to post.

I've been working out on and off since I was about 18, I will usually lift weights for 6months and then stop for 3-4 months(sometimes 6) then start working out again.

I usually do the same routine every time I work out (every other day), with good results.

Here is what my routine consists of

Bench Press 8-12 reps (4sets)
    Dumbell flys 8-12 reps (4sets)
    standing shoulder press 8-12 reps (4sets)
    Bent over row 8-12 reps (4sets)
    Dumbell curls 8-12 reps (4sets)
    Tricep dips 8-12 reps (4sets)

all exercises are done with free weights (no machines)

on my off days I will usually do abs and run a few miles (for leg workouts)

Im more interested in body building (looking big) Im not really worried about getting strong

The way that I normally workout has seemed to work for me, I see gains throughout the months I work out, and I add weight everytime I hit the 12 rep mark.

will I see bigger gains by switching my routine to only working out each muscle group two times per week, rather than working out the same muscles every other day like I have been doing?

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bekindtoyurbuds View Post
    Hey whats up guys, Im new to the forum, but not to working out.

(Im not over 35, but then again Im not a teen, so I figured I would post here considering that I that 29y/o is closer to 35 then to 19) Hope this is the right place to post.

I've been working out on and off since I was about 18, I will usually lift weights for 6months and then stop for 3-4 months(sometimes 6) then start working out again.

I usually do the same routine every time I work out (every other day), with good results.

Here is what my routine consists of

Bench Press 8-12 reps (4sets)
    Dumbell flys 8-12 reps (4sets)
    standing shoulder press 8-12 reps (4sets)
    Bent over row 8-12 reps (4sets)
    Dumbell curls 8-12 reps (4sets)
    Tricep dips 8-12 reps (4sets)

all exercises are done with free weights (no machines)

on my off days I will usually do abs and run a few miles (for leg workouts)

Im more interested in body building (looking big) Im not really worried about getting stong

The way that I normally workout has seemed to work for me, I see gains throughout the months I work out, and I add weight everytime I hit the 12 rep mark.

will I see bigger gains by switching my routine to only working out each muscle group two times per week?
    A full body routine is fine, but you need to add work for your lower body in there. Squats and deads will make you grow everywhere. Running will tend to have a reducing effect on the legs and everywhere else, too.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    A full body routine is fine, but you need to add work for your lower body in there. Squats and deads will make you grow everywhere. Running will tend to have a reducing effect on the legs and everywhere else, too.
    Like he said, squats and deads!!!!!!!

Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000)

Originally Posted by NYkarate View Post
    Like She said, squats and deads!!!!!!!
    Handle every situation like a dog ....
    If you can't Eat it or Screw it ,
    Piss on it and Walk Away.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    squats and deads....squats and deads...eat eat eat.....etc and so on....

however, the key here is this one sentence from the OP:

if this is true, no e-bull, then, let him take this as far as he can until he STOPS seeing results.....

at some point, yes, he will stall and will need to switch up a bit,

however, we must remember, that he has self-admitted to being one of those guys who inexplicably just takes off months at a time....

so: when he "returns" , are these noobie gains, or, is that simple routine SIMPLY correct for HIM???

only HE and TIME can answer that question......not squats and deadlifts....at least, not yet....

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post

however, we must remember, that he has self-admitted to being one of those guys who inexplicably just takes off months at a time....

so: when he "returns" , are these noobie gains, or, is that simple routine SIMPLY correct for HIM???

only HE and TIME can answer that question......not squats and deadlifts....at least, not yet....
    This jumped out at me too. Probably seeing gains because he is basically spinning his wheels by training half a year, then taking half the year off.
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by OutOfStep View Post
    This jumped out at me too. Probably seeing gains because he is basically spinning his wheels by training half a year, then taking half the year off.
    Agreed
    Was friends with Methuselah

IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Bekindtoyurbuds View Post
    Im more interested in body building (looking big) Im not really worried about getting strong
    This makes absolutely no sense!

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by IR45N View Post
    This makes absolutely no sense!

Cause he's trollin.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Registered User Bekindtoyurbuds's Avatar
    Bekindtoyurbuds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well somebody is trolling, thats for sure.

When I said this:

"Im more interested in body building (looking big) Im not really worried about getting strong"

I meant that I am not mainly working out to gain strength, Im more in it for body shaping.

I know that I will get stronger as I workout, but that isn't the main goal. (I'm not working out to become a powerlifter)

I was also under the impression that there were different types of ways to train, IE: bodyshaping, strength building, and endurance training. (depending on how much weight and reps you do per set) is this not true?

As far as my gains go, some of it may be due to starting and stoping: "noobie gains"
    but all I can say is that I keep pretty active (with work) as far as physical activity goes, so while I am "off" (not working out) I stay about the same size, I will get a little smaller, but not by much.

Usually I will notice, that by the end of first month of working out again, I will be back up to the same size I was when I quit working out the last time.

And I always add more size (in muscle) as I continue to work out, If I wasn't gaining any mass with my workout routine I wouldn't continue to do it as I have done, (the last time I worked out, I did my routine for around 9 months and still saw gains through out, never really hit a spot where I didn't gain)

As far the the switching stuff up, if I find that I am not gaining as much as I think I should I will switch it up a little (switching the order I work out body parts, or I will switch from a bar to barbells, and stuff like that)

and there is no "e bull" here, there is enough of that on the forums (any forum) to begin with. (I don't need to impress anyone by lying, and that includes people that I don't know and will never see) =)

Anyways
    Thanks for the help guys, I will be adding some lower body (leg) workouts to my ab days.