Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    The sources don't matter. It's a purely opinion-based notion what the flag stands for. I don't see anything racist in the flag while I do see many racists who revere it. They who love it for the wrong reasons are just as ignorant as northerners who hate it for the wrong reasons.
    Exactly. I couldn't articulate what you said any better.
    I like to ride my horses and shoot my guns

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by so-tex View Post
    You don't know Jack sh!t. I know you want people to think you do, but you are totally ****ing clueless.
    OK.
    Go ahead and dig up your 'sources' , google be or whatever gives you a hard on, but I actually lived down here and so did my aunts uncles cousins and parents.
    I've talked, in depth with those who lived in the South during the Civil Rights movement. I've lived in various parts of the south myself, I've taken (presumably) the same American history classes as you.

So I'm not qualified to have an opinion on the matter because I'm what? Too "North"? Neat.

The sources don't matter. It's a purely opinion-based notion what the flag stands for. I don't see anything racist in the flag while I do see many racists who revere it. They who love it for the wrong reasons are just as ignorant as northerners who hate it for the wrong reasons.
    What's the wrong reason? Are you saying that you can't understand why someone would have a rational mistrust for someone that flew that banner?

Personally, I am rather apathetic to the Southern Cross myself (does not offend me), but I understand why it would some. I've also never understood outward displays of patriotism... but that's just me.
    Last edited by acrawlingchaos; 12-19-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    OK.
    I've talked, in depth with those who lived in the South during the Civil Rights movement. I've lived in various parts of the south myself, I've taken (presumably) the same American history classes as you.

So I'm not qualified to have an opinion on the matter because I'm what? Too "North"? Neat.

What's the wrong reason? Are you saying that you can't understand why someone would have a rational mistrust for someone that flew that banner?

Personally, I am rather apathetic to the Southern Cross myself (does not offend me), but I understand why it would some. I've also never understood outward displays of patriotism... but that's just me.
    The wrong reason would be the one that is projected instead of the one that is expressed.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by eomrat View Post
    This is the first time I have ever heard that flag referred to as "The Southern Cross".
    The southern cross and stars and bars are terms I've both used and are technically inaccurate being colloquially and lazily used.

The Stars and Bars was the First Confederate Flag.
    The Southern Cross is the symbol of the UK.
    The Dixie flag was actually Tennessee's Battle Flag, and later adopted by the Confederate.

My apologies for my loose usage, pubmed ninja / wikiguru skills awry
    Last edited by acrawlingchaos; 12-19-2014 at 12:49 PM.

The wrong reason would be the one that is projected instead of the one that is expressed.
    ... and? Experiences differ.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ... and? Experiences differ.
    Which is why it's wrong to project my experiences on you.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Which is why it's wrong to project my experiences on you.
    You can't expect others to disregard nearly a century of it's use under Confederate and Jim Crow Law and later by hate groups (that supported Jim Crow laws). That doesn't just go away.

Sounds like you're projecting your own experiences onto others while expecting others not to do likewise.

I honestly don't know why anyone would take pride in the marred history of a failed nation. It's awfully confusing and sends a mixed message.

You can't expect others to disregard nearly a century of it's use under Confederate and Jim Crow Law and later by hate groups (that supported Jim Crow laws). That doesn't just go away.

Sounds like you're projecting your own experiences onto others while expecting others not to do likewise.

I honestly don't know why anyone would take pride in the marred history of a failed nation. It's awfully confusing and sends a mixed message.
    The Confederacy wasn't all bad any more than the Union was all good. In fact, I don't think the Confederacy was even mostly bad. There were plenty of hard working white folks who weren't slave owners and didn't agree with slave ownership who were proud citizens of the southern states. There were also black officers in the Confederate Army. There is so much more to that history than most people know. I don't know your extent of knowledge, so I'm not going to assume anything on your behalf, but from what I know of the Confederacy, the flag does not - to me - represent anything about racism or slavery. It does, however, represent a higher level of liberty in general terms as far as not being forced into homogeneity that Abraham Lincoln was so bent on creating.

Also, taxation is theft.

Originally Posted by eomrat View Post
    I bet if I grew up truly believing that the phrase, "fetch me the food chart you stupid cow", was a polite and friendly way to ask for a menu that I would stop saying it once I learned what effect it had on waitresses.
    As would I. I don't bear a southern cross on my body anymore because of all the garbage I caught from both sides of the coin. I had skin heads wanting to suck my c*ck and black wanting to kill me.

Also, taxation is theft.

The Confederacy wasn't all bad any more than the Union was all good. In fact, I don't think the Confederacy was even mostly bad.
    The creation of the Confederacy, brass tacks, was about the Stave Rights regarding SPECIFICALLY slavery.... which I would classify as bad.

The rebellion began in December 26th, 1852...

"The people of the State of South Carolina, in Convention assembled, on the 26th day of April, A.D., 1852, declared that the frequent violations of the Constitution of the United States, by the Federal Government, and its encroachments upon the reserved rights of the States, fully justified this State in then withdrawing from the Federal Union; but in deference to the opinions and wishes of the other slaveholding States, she forbore at that time to exercise this right. Since that time, these encroachments have continued to increase, and further forbearance ceases to be a virtue."

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarsec.asp

There were plenty of hard working white folks who weren't slave owners and didn't agree with slave ownership who were proud citizens of the southern states.
    With a population of 9 million; nearly 4 million where slaves. While not everyone was a slave holder, it was extremely common. After the emancipation, the Southern economy crashed because the white market had difficulty adjusting to paid labor.

There were also black officers in the Confederate Army.
    Most blacks in the Confederate where promised emancipation for service.

There is so much more to that history than most people know. I don't know your extent of knowledge, so I'm not going to assume anything on your behalf, but from what I know of the Confederacy, the flag does not - to me - represent anything about racism or slavery. It does, however, represent a higher level of liberty in general terms as far as not being forced into homogeneity that Abraham Lincoln was so bent on creating.
    Then we shall just have to disagree.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Japanese flag to rebel flag. Yeah, sounds about right.

so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

After the emancipation, the Southern economy crashed because the white market had difficulty adjusting to paid labor.
    Once again you're full of sh!t. The Southern economy crashed before the civil war was over.

Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    Japanese flag to rebel flag. Yeah, sounds about right.
    You IN! on the pissing match again... because I don't really sense a solid commitment.

OK.

I can just see it now. "Hello ladies and gentleman. This is chaos on the scene. Iz in Mississippi. Been here for a whole month screening folks and talking to them about the civil rights movement." smh.

Once again you're full of sh!t. The Southern economy crashed before the civil war was over.
    The initial collapse was when slave labor was forced out of the cotton fields to focus on the war machine. Between that and the blockades the north placed on Southern waterways, the economy further crumbled. It was the emancipation of 40% of it's population in slave labor that delivered the final blow to the southern economy and the adjustment is why it took the south decades to recover.
    Last edited by acrawlingchaos; 12-19-2014 at 02:52 PM.

I can just see it now. "Hello ladies and gentleman. This is chaos on the scene. Iz in Mississippi. Been here for a whole month screening folks and talking to them about the civil rights movement." smh.
    So only the opinions of YOUR uncles, and aunts, and grandparents matter? I'm not sure what you are getting at here.

So only the opinions of YOUR uncles, and aunts, and grandparents matter? I'm not sure what you are getting at here.
    Dude... I'll have you know they all have an 8th grade education or better.

SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wonder if the police get reports of unpatriotic Japanese citizens reporting their neighbors for flying the flag upside down?
    I'm a sad little man

SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dude... I'll have you know they all have an 8th grade education or better.
    Eight grade isn't what it used to be...
    I'm a sad little man

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    I wonder if the police get reports of unpatriotic Japanese citizens reporting their neighbors for flying the flag upside down?
    They would, but they keep dialing 116

Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    Did you even read the OP

Wait whut?

Did you even read the OP

Wait whut?

Are we still talking about the 10/22.

Are we still talking about the 10/22.
    Don't even go there.

Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I just thought the flag was a huge Easy Button.

Originally Posted by Phattso View Post
    I just thought the flag was a huge Easy Button.
    Speaking of that, I need a new three hole punch.

Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Speaking of that, I need a new three hole punch.
    Now you know what to do.

Now you know what to do.
    Maybe I should buy a single hole punch and make it intetesting.

Maybe I should buy a single hole punch and make it intetesting.
    Should be 1/3 cheaper

Should be 1/3 cheaper
    One would hope.

Should be 1/3 cheaper
    Quit it with the crazy math already. The women here can't grasp it.