Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mrkrsll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can't Extend Arms

I'm sure this topic has been disused but I can't seem to find it...
    I just got back into training after a brief vacation. Yesterday I worked my biceps and triceps. I didn't kill it but it was moderate. Woke up this morning felt a bit tight but it was gone by the time I got to the gym. I did my shoulders and traps today. Later on in the day when I got home, I was not able to extend my arm out all the way without this excruciating pain at the bottom my bicep. In order to get my arm extended out it takes a few minutes of stretching it. At this point I'm not able to take my shirt off without someone helping me.
    Has anyone had problem similar to this. If so how long does it take to heal and is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

tixxit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How long of a "vacation" was this? Are you sure it is not just "T-Rex arms" (ie. DOMS)? My first time doing biceps last year, 2 days after I did them, I couldn't move my arms past about 90* for a good 2+ days.

Originally Posted by tixxit View Post
    How long of a "vacation" was this? Are you sure it is not just "T-Rex arms" (ie. DOMS)? My first time doing biceps last year, 2 days after I did them, I couldn't move my arms past about 90* for a good 2+ days.
    I was not working out for about 120 days...
    Im not to sure I have ever felt this before. Ive never really heard of DOMS before either. I just read a bit about it and I think your right. It just seem like the pain is to much to be something that will just go away on ity own. I cant even take my shirt off with out any help...
    How long did it take for yours to clear up?

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You have DOMS for sure. I got back into lifting 2 months ago and had the same thing, couldn't straighten out my arms all the way. I had it worse in my forearms. I rested up a couple of days, went back to lifting but dropped the weight down and built it up as I got stronger.

BG
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....

Ive done so much research on nutrition and working out, but never thought to do my home work on injuries.
    Thanks alot guys really appriciate it!

Jamesnm80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yea i worked out for the first time 3 days ago.. the next morning i couldnt extend my right arm, but my left arm was fine... the next morning my right arm was alot better but my left arm was worse then my right arm was the day before. Now, its ben three days my left arm felt worse this morning but i think its better now. i still cant extend it but im pretty sure itl be fine... i read somewhere that doms peaks within 74 hours of the workout. hopefully ill be able to lift again by tuesday... im going to use free weights this time and gradually work into it intil i learn my strengh.

BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500)
    I think this is what I have, I cannot extent my arm straight. My bottom bicep is hard like rock. And sore as ****..

1MR prework caused this injury! it made me stronger powerful and more energized! I lifted to heavy to many times then my arms can handle.

1MR new slogan should be "Know Your Limits!"

BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500) BOUCHERxxx is not very helpful. (-500)
    Guys I am in severe pain.. I can't extend my arm what for ever or touch my shoulder with the same arms hand. I work at walmart and they want me to lift boxes but it is so painful.. what can I do to relieve the pain and how can I make the recovery a lot faster.

rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I had this too the first time I did a workout in like 3 months. Couldnt straighten my arm past 90degrees without intense pain... Worst bit is this started a day before we went on holiday for a week. So every single pic that was taken during the holiday has me looking like a ****ing retard with bent arms......(Arms were sore for the whoolee week)
    My whole family thought I was exaggerating too going "oh cmon just straighten it blah blah blah".
    This was the second time it happened. (Also happened when I first joined a gym for the first time a few years back)

I had a massage at work and that actually helped it alittle. Got rid of some of the lactic acid buildup or something....

Originally Posted by rnewton4 View Post
    I had this too the first time I did a workout in like 3 months. Couldnt straighten my arm past 90degrees without intense pain... Worst bit is this started a day before we went on holiday for a week. So every single pic that was taken during the holiday has me looking like a ****ing retard with bent arms......(Arms were sore for the whoolee week)
    My whole family thought I was exaggerating too going "oh cmon just straighten it blah blah blah".
    This was the second time it happened. (Also happened when I first joined a gym for the first time a few years back)

I had a massage at work and that actually helped it alittle. Got rid of some of the lactic acid buildup or something....
    LOl did anyone call you a T-rex? Lol cuz I feel like a t-rex with little short useless arms.. and they are so weak.

rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by BOUCHERxxx View Post
    LOl did anyone call you a T-rex? Lol cuz I feel like a t-rex with little short useless arms.. and they are so weak.
    Ahahah no, but I did feel like one.... I tried to stick my thumbs like down my pants as if to look cool when around lots of people (Looks like hands in pockets kinda, but obviously I couldnt bend my arms down to reach my pocket so it was the best I could do..), still looked a little strange and I got a few weird looks from people. Still rekon it looked better than trex arms though. lol
    "Rrrrreoooorrr"

Now that I think of it, I probably looked like the guy with the little weak hand on scary movie 2 lol!! (Except both my hands were 'little' :P)

Location: Haverfordwest, Wales, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Haha that story made me chuckle.

I've had this problem once or twice, but it goes away after a day or 2. ALWAYS after I haven't trained for a while. What I do now is when starting back, don't train arms directly, but I'll do shoulders, back or chest to get some movement but not full on.

''Take my good hand!''
    I have a good joke about water retention. But I'm going to hold onto it for now.

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Too much volume... don't give yourself crippling DOMS. If you push harder into that you can get rhabdomyolysis

dillon2b has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, so I broke my ankle and leg a month ago, had surgery and all.. I cracked my growth plate in there, so I've been on crutches for the past month and will be for the next 2 months. So, in school we went to the fitness center and I'm not sure what machine, but its where you sit, facing forward, and you lean your chest against this, I'm not sure what it is, but basically, you lean your chest against it, and pull the two handles towards you.. Well, me and a few friends had a contest who could do the most.. well, we see who could do the most, I myself started at 100 pounds, did 5 of them, then did 5 90's, and 10 80s, then 10 70's, and so on.. Well, I haven't worked out in a month or two because of my foot. This all happened yesterday, and today I cannot move my left arm, (my dominate arm/hand) and I am really scared because I know that my mom will be saying that it's not that bad and all, but I cannot move my arm enough to even touch the handle on my crutch.. How long will this condition last? (By the way, I am 14 5'8 and about 150 pounds) I have taken some heavy pain pills that I had from my foot. ( it is a serious injury, if i don't do what they say, I am more vulnerable to getting arthritis and seriously messing up my foot, it could grow wrong or stop growing at all. There really isn't a way for me to get around if I cannot straighten out my arm.crutches won't work, and I'm sure a wheel chair won't either. )
    Last edited by dillon2b; 01-14-2011 at 09:12 AM.

coolio274 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Lasts Longer

Sorry to bring back an old post but I have this problem too except that mine has lasted longer than two days. It started in only a section of my biceps, but now the soreness has went past my elbow and the soreness is now also in my lower triceps. I got the pain from barbell curls, 8 sets of 10 with 45lbs. (I'm a beginner and I now realize that it was too much for me to do)

ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by coolio274 View Post
    Sorry to bring back an old post but I have this problem too except that mine has lasted longer than two days. It started in only a section of my biceps, but now the soreness has went past my elbow and the soreness is now also in my lower triceps. I got the pain from barbell curls, 8 sets of 10 with 45lbs. (I'm a beginner and I now realize that it was too much for me to do)
    Sorry to hear man, I made similar mistakes at that age. Take this advice: Don't lift weights until you build a foundation of knowledge about the science of it all. Look up youtube tutorials for all weightlifting exercises, ask experienced lifters on this forum questions as often as you can, and pay attention to what they say about technique. If your lifting form isn't flawless then you're setting yourself up for failure. DO THE KNOWLEDGE, my friend.

Also, 8 sets of 10 repetitions with 45 lbs. means you lifted 3,600 lbs that workout. That's way too much weight, you're taxing your muscles, joints, ligaments, and central nervous system beyond what it can handle. When it comes to weight lifting, you take your time and build up strength gradually.

Typically, you want to select a weight that you can lift 8-12 times with good form. Beginners probably shouldn't go past 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Good luck and lay off the weights until you learn your stuff bro.
    Word is Bond

Lakers - Mackin' on your favorite team since 1947

Sexybanana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Same thing happening to me bro i killed biceps like 2 days ago then did shoulders yesterday now im like dying i cant extend my arms without excruciating pain i hope it heals soon gotta hit chest and tris in 2 days lol

Sexybanana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BOUCHERxxx View Post
    I think this is what I have, I cannot extent my arm straight. My bottom bicep is hard like rock. And sore as ****..

1MR prework caused this injury! it made me stronger powerful and more energized! I lifted to heavy to many times then my arms can handle.

1MR new slogan should be "Know Your Limits!"
    Totally agree with you except i used C4 felt like a god in the gym and lifted too heavy too many times, it felt great at the time now it ****ing hurts.

bmhawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am so glad I found these posts. I finally got back to the gym two days ago after being out for about 6 months. Started following one of the programs like I always do. The first day was Bi's and tri's. I didn't over do it and I lowered the weight from what I normally do since I was out of the gym for six months. Doing alt curls I only did 15 reps at 35 lbs. I did my workout first thing in the morning like I normally do and I had no problems the rest of the day. I went to bed and when I woke up I couldn't extend either one of my arms. I was confused cause like I said I lowered my weight and I made sure I stretched before and during my workout. When it didn't go away on the second day I really started to worry. I still am unable to extend my arms and I have a lot of pain right at the base of my bicep and forearm. After seeing these posts though I know that I with rest and trying not to exert myself I should be fine. I am going to do some more research on this "DOMS" but at least now I know what to expect and look for. I'm hoping this goes away soon. It's even hard to reach for my mouse and type HAHA

lokigonner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have started going to gym from last week.. the first week was really easy Did a mix routine no pain felt the next week the real gym rountine started first day was chest and triceps it was quite hard but that day i didnt not felt so much pain. Next day i went to gym and did Back and biceps. I returned home the pain was ok. But the next day i bunked the gym and the pain increased like hell i cant extend my arms without feeling excruciating pain in my biceps and near my chest. I cant even extend my arms to 90 degrees sideways or either due to the pain i thought i have got a fracture or something. But thanks to your question i was relieved and due to this post i got to knw about DOMS. Its the second day aftr bunking gym the pain is still excruciating and i think it has increased how much time does it takes to heal want to hit gym soon

IcyPyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I read up on DOMS and I believe that I have that because I worked out my biceps, triceps, back, etc. On Thursday at 8-10 pm and it's now Sunday 1 pm and I cant move my arm past 90° and I wanted to know when this "fix" itself

lriddle14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Similar problem. I'm back into lifting after a 2-3 month hiatus, jumped back into the same program I used before, and I've got the T-rex arms bad. I didn't even directly work out arms, it was a back workout. Still, there was obviously a lot of bicep involved while targetting my back, and DOMS has apparently set in hard. Today I did shoulders, and the arms actually felt much better (I could fully extend them), but once I cooled down now both arms are stuck just below a 90-degree angle.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned massage possibly helping? I'll give that a shot, as i have a standing membership at a Massage Envy here in town. Hopefully this can clear up semi-quickly as I'm in the military and I can't imagine how ridiculous I'm going to look if I need to stand at attention at any point soon :P I'll be chicken-winged out at almost a 90-degree angle lol

jamiewoods23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mrkrsll View Post
    I was not working out for about 120 days...
    Im not to sure I have ever felt this before. Ive never really heard of DOMS before either. I just read a bit about it and I think your right. It just seem like the pain is to much to be something that will just go away on ity own. I cant even take my shirt off with out any help...
    How long did it take for yours to clear up?
    i have this pain now help!!

Curtis7977 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by beachguy498 View Post
    You have DOMS for sure. I got back into lifting 2 months ago and had the same thing, couldn't straighten out my arms all the way. I had it worse in my forearms. I rested up a couple of days, went back to lifting but dropped the weight down and built it up as I got stronger.

BG
    Hey dude thanks for posting that I even went through the process of creating a new account just now to tell you I just got back into my physical development class in school and I was working out hard dude. But thanks to your post I know it isnt anything to serious. But do you know when it will go away Ive had it for about 48 hours or so now. Please get back with me, thanks.

fearfniche3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is a half hour walk considered a "light cardio"?

Kazaf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Same here!

I'm sure this topic has been disused but I can't seem to find it...
    I just got back into training after a brief vacation. Yesterday I worked my biceps and triceps. I didn't kill it but it was moderate. Woke up this morning felt a bit tight but it was gone by the time I got to the gym. I did my shoulders and traps today. Later on in the day when I got home, I was not able to extend my arm out all the way without this excruciating pain at the bottom my bicep. In order to get my arm extended out it takes a few minutes of stretching it. At this point I'm not able to take my shirt off without someone helping me.
    Has anyone had problem similar to this. If so how long does it take to heal and is there anything I can do to speed up the process?
    I'm having the exact same issue! i stopped for 4 months and the tricky thing is i wasn't able to extend my right arm for 2 days and then today my right arm is back to normal but then my left arm start to can't be extend n pain like hell.. so strange haha
    And im looking for the same answer too, that's how i get here ha

smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Later on in the day when I got home, I was not able to extend my arm out all the way without this excruciating pain at the bottom my bicep. In order to get my arm extended out it takes a few minutes of stretching it. At this point I'm not able to take my shirt off without someone helping me. Has anyone had problem similar to this.
    If you just got back into working out again, it could just be normal muscle soreness.

Then again, it almost sounds like "frozen shoulder". I had this a couple of years ago. Google it! It comes on from out of the blue with no apparent cause at all. It can be painful as hell when you try moving your arm. It also makes it incredibly difficult to wear a T-shirt...in fact, when I had it, I could only wear button up shirts. I could barely lift my arm up when I had it. The worst part was sleeping at night...very painful...horrible. I got diagnosed with it and they sent me in for 3 months of physical therapy where they basically pull your arm around...painful. It took my frozen shoulder a full year to recover...or thaw out, LOL.

CrunchyLeaf is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking

Originally Posted by rnewton4 View Post

Lmfao! Im sorry for laughing. That was to funny. I'm going through the same thing, but the way you said that xD

Addyxanny is on a distinguished road. (+10) Addyxanny is on a distinguished road. (+10) Addyxanny is on a distinguished road. (+10) Addyxanny is on a distinguished road. (+10) Addyxanny is on a distinguished road. (+10) Addyxanny is on a distinguished road. (+10) Addyxanny is on a distinguished road. (+10) Addyxanny is on a distinguished road. (+10) Addyxanny is on a distinguished road. (+10) Addyxanny is on a distinguished road. (+10) Addyxanny is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i know this feel bro

lopez210 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am going through the same thing right now two days ago I worked out biceps and triceps but tried something different lightweight no more than 15 pounds and did minute intervals for four sets resting 10 sec in between set last night I started feeling the soreness and tightness this morning I can barely move my arm past my waist looks like I'm walking around with an invisible cast