Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High Lats

TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50)

High Lats

Can someone please explain to me why this is a bad thing?

I think it looks appealing.

feelin like im lookin ;) MrMetabolism's Avatar
    MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i agree, every time i see high lats i think they look pretty good

VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    "high lats" usually refers to having your upper lats dominate your lower lats...

and as we ALL know, you dont want ANY body part dominating another...everything in equal proportions.

rusty hands make me happy goodLIFT's Avatar
    goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i think it looks best when calves dominate the thighs.

Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000)
    High lats can "sometimes" be good since often it gives a more wide appearence, look at Dennis James.

TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah exactly guardian thats what i was wondering, i heard people dogging DJ for having high lats but i think it looks awesome

Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Some angles it looks better, but high lats tend to hurt you alot in rear lat spreads which in shows is often one of the most important poses.

IFBB Pro Bodybuilder Pro Bob Chick's Avatar
    Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TJ_Strong View Post

It's a bad thing when someone with "low lats" is hitting a lat spread next to you......!
    Bob Cicherillo - IFBB Pro Bodybuilder
    IFBB Athletes rep

Haha bob, ill take it from you that you know what your talking about.

Ok bob, is there any excersise or variation of excersise that puts more stress on the lower portion of the lats?

Eating Dumbbells Post-WO IronMogul's Avatar
    IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Pro Bob Chick View Post
    It's a bad thing when someone with "low lats" is hitting a lat spread next to you......!
    Exactly.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

High lats look good by themselves, but not good compared to other bodybuilders.

Coleman, Haney, Yates, Cutler all have very low lats.

The shorter a muscle is, the less mass is can carry.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been cursing my high lats for 25 years, and I can tell you from experience that it really limits how wide and thick you can grow your back. The muscle fibers are simply not there. Also, it makes your waist look longer, obviously, and it appears (and it's actually true) that there's no muscle from the bottom of the lats to the waist except for the obliques, and you don't really want to overdevelop the obliques. It also hurts the V-taper: you have a very high small taper and then it goes straight down into the waist. Ideally, you'd like to have the V seemingly end at the waist area instead of the top of the torso. And if that isn't enough, you don't have as much strength potential in back exercises, and even bench pressing. My genetics are darn good in every other area, but high lats have doomed me as a competitive bber.

What Bob said.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Anabolism1000 View Post
    I've been cursing my high lats for 25 years, and I can tell you from experience that it really limits how wide and thick you can grow your back. The muscle fibers are simply not there. Also, it makes your waist look longer, obviously, and it appears (and it's actually true) that there's no muscle from the bottom of the lats to the waist except for the obliques, and you don't really want to overdevelop the obliques. It also hurts the V-taper: you have a very high small taper and then it goes straight down into the waist. Ideally, you'd like to have the V seemingly end at the waist area instead of the top of the torso. And if that isn't enough, you don't have as much strength potential in back exercises, and even bench pressing. My genetics are darn good in every other area, but high lats have doomed me as a competitive bber.

What Bob said.

Forgot to say above, I have them too.

I could never figure out why. A. My lats didn't develop the way they should and B. Why I couldn't feel "regular" lat exercises.

Hammer chins and rowing to the waist have done me well though.

High lats look great in a t-shirt, but I'd rather have low lats.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Can anyone look at my bodyspace pics and tell me if I have high lats or not, I still cant seem to fully figure it out sometimes I think I do somethings I think I dont.

Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Can anyone look at my bodyspace pics and tell me if I have high lats or not, I still cant seem to fully figure it out sometimes I think I do somethings I think I dont.
    IMO you don't, but your development is in the upper areas-to me high lats are short lats.

It is evident from your rear lat spread they are not high.

Do some rowing to the WAIST (Yates rows are good for this) and some hammer chins.

Your upper lats look good though.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

hmmm....grits taste good Bigdolf's Avatar
    Bigdolf is just really nice. (+1000) Bigdolf is just really nice. (+1000) Bigdolf is just really nice. (+1000) Bigdolf is just really nice. (+1000) Bigdolf is just really nice. (+1000) Bigdolf is just really nice. (+1000) Bigdolf is just really nice. (+1000) Bigdolf is just really nice. (+1000) Bigdolf is just really nice. (+1000) Bigdolf is just really nice. (+1000) Bigdolf is just really nice. (+1000)
    judging by your rear lat spread your lat insertions are low.
    xboxlive IXI Bigdolf IXI

psn bigdolfmoney

I rep back always

owe reps to

Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Forgot to say above, I have them too.

I could never figure out why. A. My lats didn't develop the way they should and B. Why I couldn't feel "regular" lat exercises.

Hammer chins and rowing to the waist have done me well though.

High lats look great in a t-shirt, but I'd rather have low lats.
    Same here! Exactly!

Believe it or not, I hammered my back for over 20 years with very little lat development. It wasn't until the past 5 years that I've finally gotten respectable lat development. And me too, I couldn't feel the lats working either. What has helped me is being very strict with the movements and sacrificing the amount of weight I use. Also, concentrating on narrow and shoulder width grips on chins and pulldowns. Narrow grip t-bar rows and narrow grip cable rows have helped alot. I used to think that a wide grip meant a wide back, but it's actually opposite.

Anyway, I sympathize with you, but as you know, you can still build a very respectable physique. Congrats on your perserverence.

Originally Posted by Anabolism1000 View Post
    Same here! Exactly!

Believe it or not, I hammered my back for over 20 years with very little lat development. It wasn't until the past 5 years that I've finally gotten respectable lat development. And me too, I couldn't feel the lats working either. What has helped me is being very strict with the movements and sacrificing the amount of weight I use. Also, concentrating on narrow and shoulder width grips on chins and pulldowns. Narrow grip t-bar rows and narrow grip cable rows have helped alot. I used to think that a wide grip meant a wide back, but it's actually opposite.

Anyway, I sympathize with you, but as you know, you can still build a very respectable physique. Congrats on your perserverence.

What sucked for me was I love back training. When other guys were benching, I was rowing.

My first workout book was the one that came from my "Sears" set. I just did all the exercises that said they were for back. lol.

First time my lats EVER got sore, was when I did hammer chins as part of an "Arnold" workout (from Encyclopedia). I was always in the gym trying different angles and such to hit my lats. The first time I did them though they were sore as hell.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Can anyone tell me if i have high lats according to this pic?

Sorry its old its the only one i have of a rear lat spread, its back about 7 months ago when i was 15 after about 4 months of training

Thumbs up

I agree, your lats look great! Nothing to worry about. Keep up the great work!

Can anyone tell me if i have high lats according to this pic?

Sorry its old its the only one i have of a rear lat spread, its back about 7 months ago when i was 15 after about 4 months of training

Structure looks fine. Keep working!!!

Thanks i plan too, I have been working out about 1 year and 1 month now. I plan on entering teen nationals in 09 or 10'

Thumbs up

Thanks i plan too, I have been working out about 1 year and 1 month now. I plan on entering teen nationals in 09 or 10'
    Good for you man! Go for it! You're off to a great start!

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    What sucked for me was I love back training. When other guys were benching, I was rowing.

My first workout book was the one that came from my "Sears" set. I just did all the exercises that said they were for back. lol.

First time my lats EVER got sore, was when I did hammer chins as part of an "Arnold" workout (from Encyclopedia). I was always in the gym trying different angles and such to hit my lats. The first time I did them though they were sore as hell.
    Same here man, I've always loved training back even though results were so slow coming. That and legs. Love leg training!

k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have really low lats. Lookie.
    Attached Images
    Tallest Mexican on the board?

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by k_townsfinest View Post
    I have really low lats. Lookie.
    I hate you dude. Keep hammering 'em!!!

Thanks for the posts guys and I pretty much agree. I can feel my lower lats and they seem to be low, but they also seem to be underdeveloped compared to my upper lats. I do yates rows every other week (opposite of deadlifts), Ill have to look up hammer chins maybe Ill add those in. Is it normal for lower lats to lag behind upper especially for a intermediete bber?

kvkx111 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kvkx111 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kvkx111 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kvkx111 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kvkx111 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kvkx111 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kvkx111 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kvkx111 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kvkx111 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kvkx111 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kvkx111 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    While were on the subject are my lats low?

rusty hands make me happy goodLIFT's Avatar
    goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yates are gonna target ur upper back. u need sum close grip pulldowns, chins, rows etc.