tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Will Be on a liquid diet after Jaw surgery for and need some diet help.

Hi,

I need some SERIOUS help. I'm going to be on a liquid diet for a while after having upper jaw advancement surgery. I'm worried about losing lean muscle mass and gaining back fat after the fact.

I have some isopure protien. My plan is to take some various kinds of baby food I found at target, mix it with chicken broth, and isopure protein.

tbh I am not going to cry if I lose 10lbs. But I want to limit the amount of muscle mass I lose.

I've read everything from people gaining weight (I am planning to not even think about touching milk shakes) to people losing up to 15% of their bodyweight. I'm currently weighing in at roughly 123lbs. Im a 5'3" woman @ 20-25% bodyfat.

Any suggestions for diet post surgery diet while I recover to prevent muscle loss.

Any suggestions for eating after such a drastic diet to prevent gaining it all back in the form of fat.

I'll be on liquids for about 1-2wks and soft foods 4-5wks after that. The soft foods era is really what scares me because it seems a lot of people eat nothing but mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes will make my @$$ look like that of a 60yo secretary who's stopped exercising at 18.

Cliff Notes:

I need suggestions for limiting muscle loss & gaining fat.

Also: "ZERO" working out for 2weeks (doc doesn't know it but I'm going to walk as much as a can and he can kiss my hump)

At 2week point I can begin working out lightly (walking) and light weights (no more than 10lbs)
    Again, going to walk but will start charting my distance and push my distance as much as possible. he said I could do calesthinics, so I would love some suggestions for calesthenics.

He wont tell me when I can start lifting weights but based on everything I've read on the web it looks like 4wks after. And naturally I wont be 100% at that point (grrrr) so will be going slowly.
    Last edited by tmoneyag99; 03-19-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Add information.

journey to aesthetics me luvs chicken's Avatar
    me luvs chicken is just really nice. (+1000) me luvs chicken is just really nice. (+1000) me luvs chicken is just really nice. (+1000) me luvs chicken is just really nice. (+1000) me luvs chicken is just really nice. (+1000) me luvs chicken is just really nice. (+1000) me luvs chicken is just really nice. (+1000) me luvs chicken is just really nice. (+1000) me luvs chicken is just really nice. (+1000) me luvs chicken is just really nice. (+1000) me luvs chicken is just really nice. (+1000)
    Liquid diet- Protein shakes blended with oats, pb/nuts, fruit/veg, etc. Maybe blend a multi in there if you can't take the pill.

Soft food- Greek yogurt/cottage cheese mixed with fruit, pb/nuts, protein powder etc. Take a multi and fish oil.

Good luck!

tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

ttt

ttt'd because I dont want this to fall to the 2nd page. I was really hoping for a little more detailed answer. Although the one answer I received is much appreciated.

i was hoping to hear how many extra calores (or fewer) I should consume. Amount of protien. Etc.

Also does anyone know WHY you lose so much weight on a liquid diet? Is it because you're just not consuming enough calories? If you consume enough calories can you avoid weight loss? What about muscle loss? I cant workout for a month... what can I expect .

I'm sorry folks but my surgery is in less than a week so I'm getting a tad bit nervous.
    Thanks for everyone's patience.

chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Forget everything! We had a dude get his jaw wired shut at work after a rugby game.

You can't excercise due to being unable to breathe. Lets say your'e walking and get chased by a dog (serious) how will you run without being able to take in a lot of air?

You cant lift weights due to not breathing a lot. Cardio? Are you kidding?

Dude at work lost 25-30 pounds btw, but he's naturally huge and is right back to that pretty soon after.

Just get it done, relax, stop trippin. Go get a netflix subscription. Read this forum alot. Go enjoy all the shamrock shakes on special at mcd's after st. patty day blowout sale.

-Cheers.

Rondori has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rondori has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rondori has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rondori has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rondori has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rondori has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rondori has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rondori has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rondori has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rondori has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rondori has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had a dental implant a couple of months ago, with instructions similar to yours. Expect to sleep a lot the first few days, but you will be comfortable. My husband actually bought a 10 pound bag of potatoes to make mashed potatoes, but I never touched them. Greek yogurt is what I went to first. Later, I found soups, beans and well cooked meats quite acceptable. I just avoided crunchy foods. You will do it! You will get a craving for certain foods and find a way to make it work.

lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by tmoneyag99 View Post
    Hi,

I need some SERIOUS help. I'm going to be on a liquid diet for a while after having upper jaw advancement surgery. I'm worried about losing lean muscle mass and gaining back fat after the fact.

I have some isopure protien. My plan is to take some various kinds of baby food I found at target, mix it with chicken broth, and isopure protein.

tbh I am not going to cry if I lose 10lbs. But I want to limit the amount of muscle mass I lose.

I've read everything from people gaining weight (I am planning to not even think about touching milk shakes) to people losing up to 15% of their bodyweight. I'm currently weighing in at roughly 123lbs. Im a 5'3" woman @ 20-25% bodyfat.

Any suggestions for diet post surgery diet while I recover to prevent muscle loss.

Any suggestions for eating after such a drastic diet to prevent gaining it all back in the form of fat.

I'll be on liquids for about 1-2wks and soft foods 4-5wks after that. The soft foods era is really what scares me because it seems a lot of people eat nothing but mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes will make my @$$ look like that of a 60yo secretary who's stopped exercising at 18.

Cliff Notes:

I need suggestions for limiting muscle loss & gaining fat.

Also: "ZERO" working out for 2weeks (doc doesn't know it but I'm going to walk as much as a can and he can kiss my hump)

At 2week point I can begin working out lightly (walking) and light weights (no more than 10lbs)
    Again, going to walk but will start charting my distance and push my distance as much as possible. he said I could do calesthinics, so I would love some suggestions for calesthenics.

He wont tell me when I can start lifting weights but based on everything I've read on the web it looks like 4wks after. And naturally I wont be 100% at that point (grrrr) so will be going slowly.
    Having recovered from two surgeries in the past year, let me assure you that regardless of what you do, you are going to gain fat and lose muscle.

Your doctor is advising you of these things for a reason. I don't know if you've ever had surgery before but in the week or two following it you aren't going to want to work out. You're going to be woozy as ****, sleep all the time due to pain meds and not really want to eat either. All your motivation (and yes I had it too before these surgeries) is going to go out the window.

So let it happen. What you need to focus on isn't your body composition; it's healing after a very invasive and very traumatic procedure. I know that it sucks and it makes me angry just thinking about it, but we can't help it; all we can do is accept it and move on.

My personal experience: I was training for a half-marathon, broke my tibia and fibula (well, some retard did it for me by FALLING ON MY LEG), lost 8 pounds of muscle immediately post-surgery, gained that back plus another 8 in fat in the 3 months following, had another surgery 7 months later, and am only now (three months after the second surgery) starting to get back into shape. No, it's not fun, or fair, or just, or right, or anything. But it's reality.

So focus on eating really calorie-dense foods, and get plenty of vitamins C, E, and K along with your protein requirements and all that. Shakes are your friends here, although I advise you again that you're not really going to want to eat anything for a while.

Good luck with your surgery and I hope you recover well.

Originally Posted by lexinak View Post
    Having recovered from two surgeries in the past year, let me assure you that regardless of what you do, you are going to gain fat and lose muscle.

Your doctor is advising you of these things for a reason. I don't know if you've ever had surgery before but in the week or two following it you aren't going to want to work out. You're going to be woozy as ****, sleep all the time due to pain meds and not really want to eat either. All your motivation (and yes I had it too before these surgeries) is going to go out the window.

So let it happen. What you need to focus on isn't your body composition; it's healing after a very invasive and very traumatic procedure. I know that it sucks and it makes me angry just thinking about it, but we can't help it; all we can do is accept it and move on.

My personal experience: I was training for a half-marathon, broke my tibia and fibula (well, some retard did it for me by FALLING ON MY LEG), lost 8 pounds of muscle immediately post-surgery, gained that back plus another 8 in fat in the 3 months following, had another surgery 7 months later, and am only now (three months after the second surgery) starting to get back into shape. No, it's not fun, or fair, or just, or right, or anything. But it's reality.

So focus on eating really calorie-dense foods, and get plenty of vitamins C, E, and K along with your protein requirements and all that. Shakes are your friends here, although I advise you again that you're not really going to want to eat anything for a while.

Good luck with your surgery and I hope you recover well.
    Doc said I could start light workouts after two weeks and I could do all of the walking I wanted as long as I had someone with me to keep me from falling down. My aunt will be with me. If I have to do laps in my back yard I will. I simply refuse to do less than I can without over doing it naturally. If I can only walk 5min a day so be it. I'll walk 5min the 1st and 5 and a half the next. I'm a pita that way.

The main thing I was looking for in this post was HOW much protein.