Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
    1. I said I don't use the smith machine
    I was responding to the original post. I realise that actually responding to someone's comments or questions when they started the conversation is considered radical insanity on the internet, but there you go.
    2. I believe the slight incline or decline is superior for shoulder health
    You're wrong. It's neither superior nor inferior. What works best for people is to do a variety of things. Sedentary people get fcked up joints, athletes doing just one sport for years get fcked up joints. This is not the activity itself, it's that they do one thing for many years to extremes.

If you do nothing but bench press, you will no doubt fck up your shoulders and elbows. If you do some overhead work, some pulls, some squats, some deadlifts, and you don't try to keep up competition levels of strength for decades on end, you'll generally be alright.

Show me someone that does a bench 100% with perfect form every time, especially on those last reps.
    The same goes for your preferred incline and decline. The issue is not whether the form is perfect on every rep, since it need not be. The important thing is that the form be overall good, and never - past the initial very light weight learning stage - a complete mess. It ain't ballet.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    footballa_19; A cuople of things confuse me about your post.
    1. You admit to doing the bench press wrong and theat destroyed your shoulders.
    A. Instead of learning how to do a proper bench press so you can teach your clients the list you skipp them in any program.
    2. You use the Smith machine.
    A. The Smith Machine was developed for hanging towels on and leaning on after doing a real excersice.
    B. Yes I hate the Smith Machine and find it to be of no vaule in the gym.

Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I appreciate all the input guys, although I have to admit that a lot of it was a little more derogatory than I would have preferred. As a trainer, sometimes you can get caught up in all the worries of making sure everything is 100% perfect for a client, and I think I was trying to create a 100% safe environment in the gym, which of course is impossible. I was just being over cautious. I will incorporate bench into some of my clients workout if their technique is safe enough. thanks cheers!
    "There is no one right way, everyone is different"

-B.S. Pre-Med/Biology from CMU and ex-CMU Wide Receiver
    -NASM CPT, PES, CES
    -Current trainer of elite athletes
    -Future Elite BowHunter and certified Lungcutter

Official 1st Phorm Ambassador

https://coachmatt.1stphorm.com/

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Footballa_19 View Post
    I appreciate all the input guys, although I have to admit that a lot of it was a little more derogatory than I would have preferred. As a trainer, sometimes you can get caught up in all the worries of making sure everything is 100% perfect for a client, and I think I was trying to create a 100% safe environment in the gym, which of course is impossible. I was just being over cautious. I will incorporate bench into some of my clients workout if their technique is safe enough. thanks cheers!
    You could do have them do dumbbell presses whilst laying on the floor. This will prevent them going beyond the normal ROM on the ecentric phase of the press and make sure you don't injure shoulders etc.
    Make sure you get have them do a 3d press though so you work all the pecs, rather than just a flat bench press which works the lower part of the pec (it pains me when I see people forgetting that the pec should be worked in more than 1 way)
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PeteratCastle View Post
    You could do have them do dumbbell presses whilst laying on the floor. This will prevent them going beyond the normal ROM on the ecentric phase of the press and make sure you don't injure shoulders etc.
    Make sure you get have them do a 3d press though so you work all the pecs, rather than just a flat bench press which works the lower part of the pec (it pains me when I see people forgetting that the pec should be worked in more than 1 way)
    Wouldnt floor presses target the synergistic muscles(stabilizers) and the triceps more than the actual Pec itself? Correct me if im mistaken but I always did floor press to improve tricep strength while training for powerlifting.. I just dont see floor press giving the pectoral muscles the stress they need to actually give them any kind of beneficial training effect. But like i said correct me if im wrong
    Current lifts / RAW goals @ 181

Bench........445 / 465
    Squat........650 / 700
    Deadlift......675 / 715

Sanctioned best RAW S/B/DL
    584/435/661 Total 1681 USPA Nationals July 14th 2018
    551/402/655 Total 1614 (Torn hip flexor -__-) Jan 7th 2018 LA Fit Expo
    518/352/562 Total 1433 w/ Bronchitis 4/3/2016
    405/355/500 Total 1260 03/09/2013

Instagram: @kingpensonlifts
    subscribe to me on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChadPensonPowerlifting

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BabySwole View Post
    Wouldnt floor presses target the synergistic muscles(stabilizers) and the triceps more than the actual Pec itself? Correct me if im mistaken but I always did floor press to improve tricep strength while training for powerlifting.. I just dont see floor press giving the pectoral muscles the stress they need to actually give them any kind of beneficial training effect. But like i said correct me if im wrong
    When I do floor presses, I actually do them to improve my bottom portion (the hole). I just tuck my shoulders the same ammount I use on my normal bench and the bar ends up about an inch or less from my chest, by arching ever so slightly, and a wide grip, my chest really gets hit hard and I consider this variation a chest movement.

If you then use a narrower grip and less tuck in, the movements ends about half way, which obiously becomes a lockout execise, which is what most people do anyway.
    "Do not subordinate fundamental principles to minor details."

Physiotherapy instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/dayyan.physio/

DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I just want to say that OP's clients are working out and that's the main thing.
    There are people at the gym that are so terrified of 'free weight' they refuse to do anything but machines.
    As much as this is 'ineffective' it is a lot better than not doing anything at all.

That said, I flat bench as primary workout on Chest day focusing on form, and do flat DB press on shoulders day (mainly due to build ie. Shoulders bigger than chest so hit it more).
    ♔ Rep Quality ♔

***Canadian Crew***

BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Xuaxace View Post
    When I do floor presses, I actually do them to improve my bottom portion (the hole). I just tuck my shoulders the same ammount I use on my normal bench and the bar ends up about an inch or less from my chest, by arching ever so slightly, and a wide grip, my chest really gets hit hard and I consider this variation a chest movement.

If you then use a narrower grip and less tuck in, the movements ends about half way, which obiously becomes a lockout execise, which is what most people do anyway.
    True point, those small variations do alter the way the press actually affects a muscle group. But yes i often used it as a lockout exercise especially a couple months from a PL comp.
    Current lifts / RAW goals @ 181

Bench........445 / 465
    Squat........650 / 700
    Deadlift......675 / 715

Sanctioned best RAW S/B/DL
    584/435/661 Total 1681 USPA Nationals July 14th 2018
    551/402/655 Total 1614 (Torn hip flexor -__-) Jan 7th 2018 LA Fit Expo
    518/352/562 Total 1433 w/ Bronchitis 4/3/2016
    405/355/500 Total 1260 03/09/2013

Instagram: @kingpensonlifts
    subscribe to me on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChadPensonPowerlifting

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Xuaxace View Post

Yeah pretty much this. I like it for people who have injuries, especially shoulders, I don't want to take them past a certain Range of motion and therefore I prefer it for those guys.
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Great points by all 3 of you guys Xua, Baby, and Pete. Def gonna implement these exercises into my routines. thanks guys!!
    "There is no one right way, everyone is different"

-B.S. Pre-Med/Biology from CMU and ex-CMU Wide Receiver
    -NASM CPT, PES, CES
    -Current trainer of elite athletes
    -Future Elite BowHunter and certified Lungcutter

Official 1st Phorm Ambassador

https://coachmatt.1stphorm.com/