GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000)

Front squatting more than back squat, what?

Last 2 months only been front squatting
    Before that my back squat had bad form and I wasn't going deep enough, didnt realise till my last session doing it.
    Went back to back squat today first time in 2 months
    Last time I front squatted I was doing 62.5kg (3 reps)
    Today doing back squats I could only do 60kg (4 reps)
    Done a set of front squats after a few sets of back squats to see if maybe I was a bit off today, but even though tired I still managed to do the 60kg on front squat (2 reps).
    I'm sure if I front squatted first today I would have managed more than the 4 reps I managed on back squat

So as you can see, my front squat is probably slightly higher than my back squat, but not significantly. I guess we could say they are pretty much the same. But what gives? Back squat is meant to be a fair bit higher isn't it?

the 3 things I can think of which might be causing it:
    1. I seem to really lack the flexibility to get good squat depth, so maybe its taking so much effort to get to parallel on back squats that its compromising the weight I can lift on it, whereas front squat is easier to get to parallel.
    2. I end up leaning very forward on back squats when trying to get parallel, maybe this is compromising the weight I can lift.
    3. Because I was back squatting previously with not enough depth, maybe my strength at the bottom part of the lift is compromised (but why would this apply to back squat more than front squat?)

Thoughts?
    *Positive Crew*
    500+

Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If your leaning forward then you are primarily using the quads just like a front squat. The reason you should be able to back squat more is because you are activating your hams/glutes as well as your quads so you have more muscles working to lift more weight. Your form is off.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Before that my back squat had bad form and I wasn't going deep enough, didnt realise till my last session doing it.
    Went back to back squat today first time in 2 months
    Last time I front squatted I was doing 62.5kg (3 reps)
    Today doing back squats I could only do 60kg (4 reps)
    I was too lazy to read past here, but based on this I'd say the obvious problem is you haven't back squatted in 2 months, therefore you're gonna suck at it. Once upon a time I stopped deadlifting and only did cleans and pull ups. Was doing 50kg cleans before I decided to start deadlifting again. My first time returning to deadlifts I could only do 60kg for sets of 5, despite having done 100kg prior to that.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GreatestEver
    There's your answer OP. People generally do things better when they do them more often. You neglected back squats for 2 months, are you really surprised you can't back squat as much now?

GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000) GreatestEver is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    I was too lazy to read past here, but based on this I'd say the obvious problem is you haven't back squatted in 2 months, therefore you're gonna suck at it. Once upon a time I stopped deadlifting and only did cleans and pull ups. Was doing 50kg cleans before I decided to start deadlifting again. My first time returning to deadlifts I could only do 60kg for sets of 5, despite having done 100kg prior to that.
    You lost that much strength just by not doing one exercise?
    *Positive Crew*
    500+

XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GreatestEver View Post
    You lost that much strength just by not doing one exercise?
    Maybe strength no, but mind muscle connection yes :P...

Still, after some session i guess his gains went exponential.
    If your body cannot handle it, make sure sheer willpower will.....

viashino684 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by GreatestEver View Post

the 3 things I can think of which might be causing it:
    1. I seem to really lack the flexibility to get good squat depth, so maybe its taking so much effort to get to parallel on back squats that its compromising the weight I can lift on it, whereas front squat is easier to get to parallel.
    2. I end up leaning very forward on back squats when trying to get parallel, maybe this is compromising the weight I can lift.
    3. Because I was back squatting previously with not enough depth, maybe my strength at the bottom part of the lift is compromised (but why would this apply to back squat more than front squat?)

Thoughts?
    Sounds like you may have a flexibility issue as well. If you stand in front of a wall with enough room to not disrupt a squating motion, attempt to squat and see if you're still leaning forward. My problem for a long time was really tight hamstrings and I couldn't get parallel without leaning forward on my toes. Start stretching those hammies

Another thing I like to do when squatting is think "back and down." My brother showing me the correct form told me to think of it as a rope pulling my butt back then sitting on my heels. I still occasionally will get up on my toes when I start to get tired but ya just gotta resist it and concentrate on proper form.